Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Time To Weed Out The Cheats Once And For All
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
A moment of madness perhaps, but let’s be honest would Pepe Reina had been sent off if the James Perch hadn’t gone down in the disgraceful manner in which he did? The integrity of some footballers this season has to be questioned and its time the FA and all of football’s governing bodies weeded out these cheats and made an example of them once and for all.

The commentator at St James’ Park said that the referee had no option but to send Reina off once he went in with his head - a rule that seemingly is ignored when it actually happens among teammates as we saw at Molineux. It is just another ridiculous ruling that exists in football as the authorities try and strip the game of any real passion or confrontation. The Liverpool keeper had no intention of actually head butting an opponent in this instance and yet will receive a three match ban (Missing an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley) because of Perch’s theatrics.
Of course this is nothing new this season and we can look at a long list of names of players who have instigated bans on their fellow professionals by reacting to a raised hand, or an opponent leading in with their head. Joey Barton has been on the end of both this season; once in getting Gervinho sent off on the opening day of the Premier League with some senseless playacting and then being on the end of it himself when he went head to head with Bradley Johnson. Karma perhaps, but it just simply shows the lack of professionalism of the modern day footballer who happily exploit this flimsy ruling and continually leave referees in these catch-22 situations. Somewhere in the past few years’ honesty has been drained out of the game and will remain so until some proper action is done.

It is not often I feel sorry for officials but you do sense they get hung out to dry in these instances. Why the FA call for ‘respect’ to be given to referees, no effort is actually made to make their life easier. While I’m not asking for technology to be used mid-game, I think a disciplinary panel could be set-up to focus solely on the cheats that blight our game on a weekly basis. I’m sure players would think twice about their actions if an automatic 3-5 game bans were implemented retrospectively and therefore would bring back some much needed honesty to a game that is decidedly lacking in. While Reina’s red card wasn’t going to have any real significance on the result at St James’ Park; his subsequent three match ban could well make a massive difference to Liverpool’s fortunes in the coming weeks, especially with an important cup semi-final coming up.

It is hardly a stretch for the FA to implement retrospective action in these instances, or perhaps question whether it is a change in the rulings that is actually needed to combat it. The whole notion of ‘intent’ is subsequently the evil behind these incidents, but is a push in the face, or two players going toe to toe with each other, really a serious issue? Football is a passionate sport at the end of the day and players like Reina shouldn’t be punished for reacting to being kicked at, while Perch (the initial instigator) gets let off. Let’s give referees the opportunity to take control of such incidents and not have to comply with these ridiculous rulings that players seemingly look to exploit every given week. Something needs to change and quick.

Blog by Paul Dennis

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Johnnyfootball (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Diving in any sport especially in the most beautiful game is unprofessional and down right lame. I agree with the article. Something need's to happen to stop it and the sooner the better. These players can't feel good about themselves when they watch the game later for review. A minimum 5 game ban, hefty fine's and 3 hard bitch slap's by Eric Cantona on world wide television oughta take care of the problem. (The bitch slap's are completely necessary, cause that's what they look like when there rolling around on the ground like that, little bitches
Liverpool101 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I guess its karma after all of suarez's dives.... Life goes on though
Urakent (Aston Villa) 2 years ago
They need to harden the f**k up! Their professionals who get paid a s**t load of money. Fans don't want to see their players dive or act like dickheads (they can become olympic divers or clowns for all I care) but to play football
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Another thing worth pointing out is that the officials have a kind of 'papal infallibility' built into their performance. If a manager criticises the ref or assistants, no matter how terrible the decisions were, he gets a fine and sometimes worse. If a ref gives a yellow card, there is no appeal allowed, and with the way some refs throw them around inconsistently, they soon add up.

I strongly believe the Newcastle team were either instructed to stay down and make the most of every incident, or they worked it out among themselves pre-match that the ref was known for showing cards very freely.

Apart from the ridiculous show by Perch, this happened a little earlier with Cabaye

Link: tinyurl.com/846uqez

Off the top of my head I can think of two or three others too. Now, I'm not going to sit here and defend Suarez and his antics, but if he was to dive once in that match he would have been vilified. Likewise, imagine if he had saved the ball off the line with his arm, just like Simpson in the Newcastle match. Imagine the tabloids? They'd shred him to pieces, but incidents like the above don't have the villain that the tabloid readers need to boo at.

I am completely in favour of committees after the match reviewing dives and playacting. Lets get rid of it altogether
Kayteo (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Anything found to be a dive should be given a ban post-match. It's the only way to catch them most of the time, with TV replays
Kayteo (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Oh, and any player who holds his face, who wasn't hit in the face - ban
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Interesting, Kayteo - the way you put things made me think from the other perspective. Is it really possible to force morals and honesty onto footballers?

A part of what makes modern football as entertaining as it is is that there are players who show integrity and those who don't
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 2 years ago
Totally agree. Them players really piss me off, acting like that, they should get a 2-match suspension at least for cheating. It's down to the FA to really do something about it.(other leagues apply of course).

Here is a good example of a post-match sanction based on a replay showing evidence of the incident in 2002:

Former PSG winger Fabrice Fiorese got banned for 2 games by the French League's disciplinary commission, for diving during a game against Bordeaux back in 2002.

Link: theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/836630/fiorese-has-ba...
Psycer (Seattle Sounders) 2 years ago
MLS seem to be trying this (post-match reviews of tackles, dives, embellishment....). In one instance (linked below), Fernandez is hit in the chest but holds his face. This resulted in a fine.

Link: www.sounderatheart.com/2012/3/30/2914001/alvaro-fe...

We'll see how it works in the coming months.
KingHarryKewell (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Well said. This is one of the things that is a horrible blight on the sport to be honest, and Perch's reaction to a slight touch was just plain embarrassing - it was a page out of Barton's book when he went down from the slight touch from Gerivinho. Sometimes I wonder whether really the player is not only milking a penalty, but also aiming to get a certain player sent off. If that is really the tactic, then it's highly dishonest and dirty, and contrary to what the game should be like. It not only makes the rival fans furious and the home fans embarrassed, but for haters of the game, it'll only give them more ammunition as to why this game is not worth following.

I think honestly there needs to be action on this blight on the game. Perhaps a review of the footage should be reviewed should a result go the wrong way in, say the Reina-Perch incident, should the club being aggrieved register a complaint over the issue, and then action should be taken, and rather severe action at that, in order to wipe out this issue. There's already yellow cards awarded to players caught diving, which is progress, but progress on this issue in order to try and stamp it out, or at least make it a deterrent, would be nice
Tbuchanan29 (Newcastle United) 2 years ago
I agree. It's dives like Perch's that make people not want to get into the sport. Its giving the majority of players a bad name. On the other hand though, its hard for the FA to administer their own morals and what they think is right onto every player. Its a sticky situation, but when it has a big implications such as a goal or a red card, the player has to be punished because in that case, it is cheating
Tcadamson (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Definitely agree with ya. The big problem is who gives a hell about receiving a yellow card, when their dive could give their team the win. Straight reds and/or bans need to be applied through post-match reviews. Look at Rugby Union and League in NZ and Aussie; there's the white card and a judiciary board put in place to make a ruling on dubious decisions. Dirty tackles, fighting, and any form of misconduct results in bans and embarrassment for the players involved. UEFA and FIFA need to realise what a joke it is to see grown men act like this!
Jerrold777 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I still think that if a player goes down clutching and grabbing his face as if he has a broken nose or face, he should stay off the field and be subbed off
DiscoDave (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Perch's reaction was ridiculous but I think players feel they need to go down for the ref to take action, if he didn't reina would not of been sent off, the red card was the correct decision, this article is just writen by am idiot if he thinks reina's over the top reaction was ok. With this in mind, carrol should also get a ban for diving. More importantly was the pathetic 8 match ban for suarez, I mean rio got 6 months for missing a drugs test because of the the FA's unorganised testing methods, whereas suarez racially abuses evra and gets 8 matchs, should have been at least 6 months to sent a real message or better, given a lifetime ban from the premier league and liverpool forced to sell him which they should have done themselves anyway if they had any class as a football club these days
Kirklan (Liverpool) 2 years ago
You are talking out of ignorance and pure bias.... A drug test is mandatory and real what prove do we have that suarez racially abused evra but evra's word? You say reina should be sent off yet you don't mention that Perch blatantly kicked him long after reina collected the ball.... Eric contana did so much yet never got a six month ban
DiscoDave thinks every rival player should be sent off in every match
KingHarryKewell (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Your argument here is completely irrelevant and baseless. Let's deconstruct this poor statement.

First, the red card was the wrong decision by the ref, and players don't feel that they have the need to go down for the ref to take action, correct or otherwise. Often players will in fact go to the ref or linesman to protest their point. As Kirklan rightfully also pointed out, Reina was riled up after Perch blatantly kicked him, should then Reina go down screaming his lungs out in order for the ref to take notice? Think about it, he could've based on what you're saying, but he didn't. Players tend to do that in order to try and milk something, like a penalty, and to show how hard they're done by and therefore the ref must take sympathy on their oh-so-hard plight. It's a disgraceful tactic, nothing more. It's nothing to do with "players feel they need to go down for the ref to take action".

Second, the whole diving issue and whether they should get red. If Carroll should get red for diving, then so should Suarez, Drogba, Nani, CR7, Rooney, Busquets, Kevin Davies and the entire Italian team. The yellow card system works perfectly against people diving, to caution them against using diving as a tactic in a game, to lower the incentive to dive in order to win a penalty. It's typically the ref saying "I'm watching you carefully, you're on a warning, try it again and you're off", and usually that works to a certain degree, because let's face it, no player wants to be sent off in a game, so therefore the incentive to dive is reduced.

Next, the whole "racism issue", which as an aside, only a Man United supporter would bring this up when us Scousers have moved on. Remember that it was one's word against another, nothing more, and the FA put that action in to save their skins and to practically say "let this be a warning to those who dare give racist slurs in the game". You're only saying 6 months because you hate Suarez with an open passion, therefore you're blinded by your own judgement. Drug tests on the other hand are compulsory, to check that players are not using enhancers to up their game or on an illegal drug and therefore bring the sport into disrepute. You could argue the same about racism, but the main difference is that with the drug tests, it's mandatory for the players, they have no choice in order to play and play honestly. With the whole racism thing, it's up to the player to set the standard.

Finally, you argue that Liverpool FC are "classless" because of Suarez - this coming from a club that has Rooney, Evra, Nani and Giggs who are far from being angels themselves, not to mention having CR7 and Tevez back in the day, and can be easily branded as "classless" as well. Based on your logic then, Man United must sell Rooney, Evra, Nani and Giggs for their indiscretions. No footballer is perfect, remember that. One indiscretion doesn't necessarily mean "let's sell him".

Next time kid, think before you type, instead of embarrassing yourself
Dannymorales21 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Discodave- you a negrito too?
Lampuiho (Arsenal) 2 years ago
You can appeal for the ban
1986D (Newcastle United) 2 years ago
Pathetic though it was at least Perch was reacting to something (no contact though, at least not that I could see), if players don't react referees will give the benefit of the doubt and leave the incident alone. There needs to be respectful middle-ground, Perch (and Tiote in a previous game) have won Oscars for Newcastle and I hate it, a mild reaction; say recoiling from Reina and holding up your arms to protect from what might have been a head-butt, defensive reaction, no stupid dives, totally fine. This shows that something happened that needs a judgement but doesn't attempt to land the opponent in more trouble than they should be in. I'll admit I don't think what Reina did deserves a red card but those are the rules and they do need to be adhered too.

However, it is also very annoying that everyone is fuming and pointing fingers of disgrace at Perch for reacting to red-card offence when Carroll was diving to get Krul sent off for absolutely nothing! All we heard about Carroll from commentary or post-match reviews was that he seemed far more 'up for it' that normal in the 1st half, can't understand the bias here. Just the more exaggerated reaction I suppose, still, if you think about it logically what Carroll did was much more underhanded and of disgraceful sportsmanship than what Perch did, he just did it in a rather more believable way
Carroll got booked for his offence, Perch did not. Perch got booked for the cynical trip on Reina, but if the referee had the benefit of replays he would have booked him immediately a second time for the simulation, sending him off.

Carroll dives, yes perhaps, but he didn't lay on the ground screaming and waving to the stretcher bearers to carry him off. He didn't even appeal the penalty
Tomjames (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Yeah but even though Perch didn't actually get touched, Reina still did something. Players react these days, its the way of the game. I don't agree with it, and it ruins the game but its the way it is. However, Carrolls was so much worse. If the ref had been fooled by probably the worst dive of the season, then Krul would have got sent off and liverpool would have got a penalty. Liverpool have been the most ridiculous team this season, Suarez is pure scum and they have dived and cheated the whole season, on top of that they are still behind Everton. I lost all respect for Liverpool this season, especially under that joke of a manager
Double post
Well I just wrote a cracking reply and the website totally ignored it! Goddam. Here it is summarised in bullet points;

- I hate that Tiote and now Perch and Cabaye are doing such brilliant Busquets impersonations.
- However, Perch's Oscar winner had no effect on the way the game progressed neither did Cabaye's. Reina did that bang in front of the referee, he was always getting a red.
- Carroll's dive, though he made less of it once on the ground came from nothing at all, still a MUCH worse offence in my opinion. Had that been given it would have been a game or possibly a league changer.
- There actually was some contact looks like little more than a touch though;

(I'm surprised about this too!)

Basically, just because Carroll made less of his dive than Perch did doesn't mean he is somehow the better man. He tried to get a penalty for nothing, Perch tried to show that Reina had sort-of-headtouched him, he just did it in the style of an absolute pansy, similar to the style of many proper something-from-nothing divers whom I think he is unfairly getting lumped with
That photo you posted was chosen for the angle that most looks like a proper full-on headbutt.

Here's the exact same shot from the other side

And an animated gif:

ScouserDan (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Perch might still be in the emergency room
Franky4fingers (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Why does it look like Reina has a 100 M-M's stuffed in his mouth?
Robbiebp (Newcastle United) 2 years ago
That is not an "exact same shot". Any retard could see the difference in the two photos. The one you've posted as a "reverse angle" is just after the incident, with his stupid puffed out cheek face. He has his eyes closed in one ffs
Webbzz (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Find it quite funny how the tottenham fan accused liverpool of diving all season, when they have gareth bale in their team, the player who has been booked the most for simulation this season. He also dived against a league one side, stevenage to win a penalty, which was disgraceful. But of course, seeing as its gareth bale it seems to be fine.
As for suarez being pure scum, what is your reasoning behind this statement? The racism thing is absolutely ridiculous and void. There is absolutely no proof whatsoever about what suarez said, or did not say. It was evras word against suarezs, and evra is hardly anyone to be trusted. In the FA's actual report, when Suarez was said to have 'racially abused' evra, suarez face could not be seen on any camera, due to the fact it was blocked by other players. So how on earth can they justify banning him with absolutely no evidence, especially seeing as John Terry seems to have got off scott free!
Jamada07 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
James Perch should move to Barcelona, they need guys like himWhat a disgraceful lad!
Polykhor (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I think dives and handballing to score a goal should be treated like defenders who rake down the last man or deny a goal scoring opportunity, should always be a red card if a chance at goal is awarded or denied via foul play
Boobiebear (Everton) 2 years ago
Bit of a pointless article.... Unless its point was to start a debate between football fans. The cheats in football will always be here now because of the different cultures of football that are now mixed together. Some players genuinely see fooling the referee the same as fooling during possession. The point that I would like to make is that yes james perch has gone down like a girl. But he has been prompted by a so called professional of the game who has barely been touched himself and has decided to have a paddy because his team are being beat. The red card was the right decision whether or not Perch made a meal of it or not. From the point of view of an Evertonian, the sending off during the derby match earlier this season was by far worse than this. Rodwell, during one of the most passionate games of the sport, has gone in for a tackle with one foot against suarez and during this the ball has been won and rodwell's momentum has carried him through and onto the "edge" of suarez's shin(pad). He then rolls around like a girl and has a player sent off for an honest challenge. Pipe down the lot of you saying that pepe reina's sending off should be taken back and perch should be punished because you are all failing to see that you are shielding a villain constantly. Sort your own "cheats" out before you make comment on anyone else's
AusTekkaz (Everton) 2 years ago
Exactly, although it was faint, Reina did headbutt Perch. Perch was a little girl about it but it was a Red Card. Suarez dives every week and against Everton got a player sent off for an honest challenge. Some kopites are hyrpocritical
Toonmelon (Newcastle United) 2 years ago
I love how demba ba just kinda shoves perch down after the "hit" (for all of you sensitive lads out there) instead of even helping him up lol
Tanmay (Footytube Moderator) 2 years ago
I would turn this argument on its head. The question is not: would Reina have been sent off if Perch hadn't acted but: why do we need the fouled to fall before the foul is given?

There are many examples of talented footballers, most notably Messi and Tevez, who get fouled and still try to go on with the play. Referees wave play on, which is the correct thing to do, but then they almost never give a retrospective card to the offender. What is the lesson here? If you want your opponent to get a card you have to fall. If instead referees gave a warning/card whether or not your opponent fell, there would be less incentive to try to make the most of small fouls.

Yes, if Perch didn't fall and clutch his face Reina would not have been sent off. But if you want to eradicate this behaviour, what needs to change is NOT the attitude towards simulators, but the attitude towards fouls. If aggressive physical contact (clearly initiated by Reina) is a red card offence and that card is shown regardless of Perch's reaction, Perch (and players like him) will have no incentive to overact. End of story
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Absolutely agree with you.

The statement in the original post: "The Liverpool keeper had no intention of actually head butting an opponent in this instance" is just lame to me. What the hell was he up to then, just wanting a cuddle? Reina acted like a dick and should be punished for it!
Upupdowndown (Colorado Rapids) 2 years ago
I agree with this as well. This is a systemic problem in football and requires the referees to reevaluate how they deal with fouls. Players who shrug off fouls and continue on playing are not encouraged to do so while those who embellish challenges and play-act are rewarded.

However, the truth of the matter is that there is no way to "respectfully/commendably" bring a foul to the ref's attention. Emotions run so high during matches that there will always be contention. There was a notorious incident between Van Nistelrooy and Viera about a decade ago (wow I feel old) where Viera kicked out at the Dutchman in retaliation and, rather than pulling a Perchsquets and rolling on the floor when there was no contact, he jumped out of the way.... Yet he was still berated for it.

This is the greatest sport in the world in my opinion but good lord.... It can be frustrating sometimes
Franky4fingers (Barcelona) 2 years ago
I think the solution to this problem is challenges and video reviews. In the US, all sports are reviewed via replays. It is quite difficult to implement video review in football (soccer) because football is a flowing sport where the clock doesn't stop. There are no timeouts and stopping a game every now and then kills the flow of the game. Hence, we rely of the referee who is a victim to his position and the opinion of his 4 assistants.

Currently, bad behavior is punished only if the referee writes it in his match report. The English FA is a bit more strict about punishing players after the game compared to the Spanish FA. And its not just the diving, injury feigning that needs to be reigned in. How about violent actions by players when the officials aren't watching? Pepe stepping on Messi's hand is a prime example. The whole world saw it but we can't do anything about it because the referee didn't write it in his report. That has got to be the silliest law on earth. In the US, the governing bodies like NFL, NBA, NHL, do not rely on referees reports but go about judging it based on complaints by teams or individual investigations. It imparts credibility to the sport and makes fans feel relieved that they are getting to watch the sport they love and not some theater performance or a street brawl. As much as I love the traditions of the game, we need to use video replays, goal line technology, etc to make sure referee mistakes are undone or at least neutralized as much as possible before its too late
Shadowolfs (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I agree with this, their should be a panel looking at all of the games for these instances.

Though I did get from the article that(and it might jsut be me that got this) Reina did nothing wrong. I think that a panel for overally football should be implemented that covers, diving, vicious/violent fouls, intent (based on video alone not players words) and to review racist/discriminatory actions, signs or chants. For any of these being found guilty a minimum of 5 game ban. Why 5 games well 5 games can be the difference between an EPL title and no europen football. Also I believe a yellow card panel should be made of past players and past/sparingly used ref
Soundslikefail (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Perch's actions may have been deplorable, but regardless of whether or not he collapsed, Reina should have been sent off for his violent actions. Perch just ensured that

Kick4Life - changing lives through football