Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Transfer Window Mass Debate
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago

The Transfer Window is a Bad Idea
It is just a pathetic attempt to make an 'event' out of what should form part of the day to day running of a club.

I am old enough to remember the world of football before these transfer windows and for the life of me I can't recall thinking 'Hmm you know what would improve football, less freedom to transfer!'. Pretty sure I am not alone in this, I imagine out of the millions that watch football probably three thought this was required.

So what do we get? We get players like Tevez who quite fairly placed a transfer request at the end of last season after playing his socks off who is placed in limbo due to the fact his dream move couldn't be completed before the slamming of the fabricated window.

We get players knowing they are moving but having to wait three months, wonder what that does to their commitment to the cause?

We get managers sacked because it is the only change clubs can make to attempt to alter their fortunes when all they really need is a decent right back.

I hear the argument about lower league teams protecting their squads but there are already rules covering this. Mr Big Club goes to Mr Small Club 'Can I talk to Mr Too Goodforyou about a transfer' if the answer is 'No' it ends there. Basically no different to now except we all have to wait until January.

In return we get an ultimately disappointing month where nothing happens until the last day and an excessive use of news tickers telling us Kaka has been spotted in a Greggs near Wolverhampton. Dump the window!

The Transfer Window is a Good Idea
Football is all about drama on the big stage and the window is like the World Cup of transfers, the final moments are a world-wide event like injury time in a match involving every team on earth.

Beside the obvious addiction to furious last minute frenzy which has the force to alter reality it’s self (and value Torres at £50m! then Carroll at £30m!!) there is some non-comical, sense driven logic to support this notion.

In the good old days there was a drip-drop of transfers all year round as managers purchased players to replace the injured and the unruly whenever they wished. More often than not they bought their way out of potential choppy waters. But a manager’s job is to manage and the transfer window has shifted this premise forcing the men in the dug out to actually do as their titles say and manage their teams to success rather than plug gaps with ready-made replacements as and when required.

In addition to this rather than already established players being drafted in from other clubs the gaffers have had to become more crafty and utilise forgotten or youth players, this one most significant factor has benefited the domestic game hugely.

People have always complained about foreign imports taking the place of home grown talent and potentially denying future world greats their break on the big scene, well the window goes a little way to address that. Had it not been for the window Gareth Bale may still be at left back and that hat-trick at Inter may never have been, or Gary Cahill may already be sitting on the sub bench at some top 4 club denying Bolton a winning goal and 3 points against Everton last week which could be their saviour come the final curtain call. It certainly would have denied us all the chance to hear Gary Neville produce the greatest quote of the season, if not in history “(Luiz) played like a man being controlled by a 10-year-old using a PlayStation”.

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Fscabrera (America de Cali) 2 years ago
I like the transfer window, but if players are not up to date, then what's the point?
DrPhilosophy (Bayern München) 2 years ago
It is good because of all the last minute drama, like when Torres flew off in a helicopter to Chelsea lol Also, it gives a chance for some teams to rebuild halfway through the season
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
But wouldn't they still be able to rebuild their squads if there were no transfer windows?
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
I love all those last minute reports on Jan 31st --- Ronaldo seen buying new skirt selection in Madrid. Gotta' love the all the fantasy head lines and mock drama
DrPhilosophy (Bayern München) 2 years ago
.... And if players are playing badly they'll know that because the window is just around the corner, they're are going have to step up their game or they'll be off
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
As opposed to knowing at any time they could be sold! A constant pressure to play well. Vote No!
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
Hold on, playing badly is not the way to get sold, it's the way to get dropped, rott on the bench and accept less money at your next club. Naturally clubs tend to be more attracted to players doing well
Ruskin (Liverpool) 2 years ago
All in all the window is a good oppertunity to either go up or down. The thing I think is unfair when clubs from the be. P. L. Can loan players to other be. P. L. The scales are slightly tilted and a bit snakes and ladders,

Lol
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Great blog and I like the opposing opinions and vote at the end

More like this please.... May I suggest "Should goal line tech be introduced" for a future one?
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
Actually this feels like ZDnet's Great debate column. LOL. But football related though
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Antwon, I think everyone would agree with that. We're not 148 year old senile FIFA executives
Vishal024 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Well written but football is too big a business for transfers to occur througout the year, "in the good old days" transfers can't have been as prevalent or common, particularly players moving to a foreign league. Tbe window offers an even playing field, so all clubs can attempt to sign a player instead of him being loaded off the first bidder and it does create an enticing element of drama towards the end
Transfers were done when required with no seasonal focal point fans did not expect transfers. It's a feeling now that if your club doesn't buy someone in the window then it shows a lack of ambition, money or both. Even table topping Man City fans will feel a bit gutted if they don't add to their squad.

The transfer window only creates a sense of panic buying where clubs are left with a few hours to replace a player they just sold.

I go for option C: Only allow transfers in the summer.

I think clubs should be ready in September, with enough back-up or youngsters. If they're not, they don't deserve to make up for that in the winter. The only reason I think a transfer window in the winter would be justified, would be if a club has terrible luck with injuries.

Oh, and I can not believe that, in this day of crazy spending big clubs and small clubs on the verge of bankruptcy, people would even consider a transfer period over the entire season. Revelations like Demba Ba would only stay for a week and a half at their clubs, names in a team would mean jack squat because it's entirely possible they're gone the next day and love for the club and the team would therefore lessen even further with all the glory-hunters out there
As you probably expect I couldn't agree less with what you have said.

The football league operate very strict policies on player transfers there is a strict code of conduct that basically means unless a team wants to sell they don't have to. So in your example Newcastle would be contacted about the possibility of selling Ba if they wanted to then he would be sold if not then not.

You mention bankruptcy in either the current system or the one you propose clubs have less ability to avoid it. I support a team that went into administration and had we been allowed to sell players during this time we might of avoided that and with it the 10 point penalty and with that relegation to League One
Well you know how the politics of transfers are: Demba Ba wuld be lured to Chelsea, he would refuse to play for Newcastle and eventually the poor club would have to sell him for a low price. That is the reality of transfers, and it will be like that with a constant open transfer window. Players usually aren't smart and definitely not loyal, which is a major reason why I believe it shouldn't be allowed to buy all the time - to avoid players being elsewhere with their thoughts
I am not suggesting something that has never been tried before. The year round ability to transfer worked totally fine up until 2002-3 Season. Nothing you said can be exclusively applied to year round trading either big club interest can unsettle players yet everyone has to wait until the 1st of February to see where they are playing for the next six months like it or not.

Steve Coppell summed it up stating the transfer window breeds panic and encourages "scurrilous" transfer activity adding that "I cannot see the logic in a transfer window. It brings on a fire-sale mentality, causes unrest via the media and means clubs buy too many players" adding that "The old system, where if you had a problem you could look at loans or make a short-term purchase, was far better than this system we have at the moment. "
You're probably right. It was my opinion that permanent transfer market activity would bring even more chaos, and therefore I suggested only one transfer window. The one in the summer, right after the season has ended.

But to be frank, I'm not old enough to judge the pre-2002 period rightly, and I could be very wrong with my opinion. Then again, the landscape of modern-day football has changed quite a bit, and with money being much more of a factor than before, it may not be the fairy-tale story you have in mind
On one hand the transfer window is very exciting to watch all the big deals and surprise deals that happen on the deadline day. On the other hand clubs often get pressured into making panic buys and deals they normally wouldn't do if they didn't have to wait another 4 months before the next window opens. Personally I would prefer no transfer windows at all but I'm fine with the way things are at the moment
Hardstone (NE Revolution) 2 years ago
I guess I would need to know how easy it is for a player in the PL to opt out of a contract? Are there any kind of "No Sell" clauses? In the MLB there are clauses like that. I think agents and that side of the game would LOVE a year round window, they could send salaries through the roof
Merka88 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Please, let's not use Tevez as an example of a sportsman! The january transfer window is every part of the game as the actual 90 minutes. I think it's fantastic
Imnotu (Manchester United) 2 years ago
If there was no transfer window, the big clubs would profit, the small clubs would suffer.

That's the long and short of it, without the transfer window, instead of clubs looking at their academies for solutions, they'll go 10 places or a league down and get a replacement. It'll ruin players and destroy the game.

You say players will be left in a limbo - bound by the contract they signed themselves
What about small clubs that desperately need to generate income by selling players to bigger/richer clubs? Or small clubs that want to sign unused players at bigger clubs?
Footymasta (Manchester United) 2 years ago
If there was no transfer window there would be more balance in power, the small clubs would not suffer as much as ud think, they get to keep their decent players if they have any, a lot of small teams couldve been something now if they didn't sell. Think back in the 80s in some communist countrys they werent allowed transfers and they had bigger better football
Obskurum (Borussia Dortmund) 2 years ago
The summer tranfers are the best option
HangTime (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I think that it's a good idea to have a transfer window in January. Teams can buy if they need to.... Either from player injuries or bad form. Most of all, it brings something different to the second half of the season
But would you rather keep things the way they are with two windows or allow transfers to happen all year
HangTime (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Keep two windows. If the window is open all year, there will be too many coming and going. Too much to keep up with. January window bring some excitement to every team

Kick4Life - changing lives through football