Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Premier League Is Dying On Its Feet
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
The good thing about being a neutral football fan is that you can sit back and watch a game, without the emotional ties. You don’t go in to work like United fans had to on Monday and face the very people that you have goaded for decades. Sunday’s game and result at Old Trafford had a profound effect on me, as it only confirmed what I had already known deep down before.

It would be easy for me to follow the route of Fleet Street’s finest this morning and shower praise on Manchester City for what was a fabulous result and performance. I won’t of course, not that I have any a genuine loathing of City, or love for United for that matter, but the fact that the Premier League is at its lowest ebb at present and absolutely devoid of any quality. The game is an absolute shambles in this country and is getting slowly worse year on year.

I don’t want to rain on City fans parade, who must love every single week, but the standard of opposition in the Premier League is pitiful at present. This is arguably the worst Manchester United team for some time and yet these are the current Champions of England; who won the title by no fewer than 9pts, despite only winning 5 away games all season. It just serves to highlight the poor competition there is now within the English game and why succeeding in this division is no longer the tough task it once was. Can anyone imagine the Arsenal ‘invincibles’ of 2004; one of Mourinho’s title winning Chelsea sides, or a Fergie title winning team of the mid to late 90s succumbing to a 6-1 home defeat? I think we all know the answer to that question.

It is such a shame to see the Premier League in its current state. While others will see this season as its unpredictable best, the underlining factor is that the teams below the usual suspects aren’t getting better, but those at the top are getting evidently worse, therefore opening the door for others. If we take a flashback to last season and one where a team like Everton were struggling for the large part and in and around the bottom three well into the new year; however finished a mere 4pts off a top 6 finish. It use to be an achievement to finish in the top 5 in the Premier League; however there is arguably at least 10 sides who have the capabilities of achieving it. Great for the supporters of those respective clubs, but alarm bells to neutrals like me who can see the drop in the league’s quality.

I for one hope we are just witnessing a blip and this season and the lack of serious competition isn’t a sign of further things to come. I wish Manchester City all the best and if they win the league then good luck to them – they certainly will never have an easier chance.

Are the standards of the Premier League in serious decline?

Blog by Jay Whyte

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Fahdalqasimi (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Stupid article, I'm a chelsea fan but I'm happy for city, they finally prove they are legit team to compete for titles and you discredit them by saying all the other teams arent good enough? Even Man you? I bet you were calling this man united side the best till they got a reality check by Barcelona in the finals. Man united is a tough team stfu and give credit to city
Nickstirling (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Wow. What an absolutely priceless example of 'the glass is half empty'. The United team you describe as the worst one in some time made it to the Champions League final. Admittedly humbled by Barcelona, but I would put that down to the fact that Guardiola has put together the best club football team in decades. Real Madrid with Mourinho and all of their Galacticos had to play for a draw against them towards the end of the season, and no other team in Europe came close to getting a meaningful result off them last year. United weren't given a bye to the final.... So how do you explain how the 'the worst Manchester United team for some time' made it there in the first place?

The defeat to City showed nothing more than how much City have improved to become a force in England, and that talented as the youth is that Ferguson has brought into the squad this year, at 3-1 down (not a terrible result against a strong team considering the red card) they were grossly naive to try to push for a result - and they were punished. These youngsters will have learned a big lesson, and that pain will drive them on.

As for the Premiership as a whole, agreed a number of teams are 'underachieving' but unlike La Liga, if any team has a bad day in the Premiership they will be punished. Newcastle or Stoke, it doesn't matter, they'll bury you.

Prem is still live and kicking - let's just hope that these foreign owners (who are only concerned about keeping their cash cows in the Premier League) don't get their way and do away with promotion and relegation. That would kill English football. After that they would probably propose that the FA Cup starts at the Semi Finals with only City, United, Chelsea, and Liverpool taking part each year...
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Clearly this article has the intent of raising eyebrows and people's voices, and it does a good job at that. But even I, being a La Liga fan, have to fully agree with every word Nick said as a response to the article.

United isn't as bad as some people think, not at all. They just don't have any real stars except for Wayne Rooney. That doesn't mean they're any worse than Real Madrid, Bayern München, Chelsea, AC Milan or even Manchester City. Those teams all have several celebrities in their midsts, but you often get farther with a team of overall good players with no real weaknesses. However, you do have a good chance you'll get humiliated by a team like Barcelona, Real Madrid or Manchester City when they're on fire, as they clearly have more individual talent
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
I have to completely disagree with this article.

The fact that United only won 5 away games is surely testament to the fact that the opposition they faced were much tougher?

Last season we saw all the big 4 sides lose their grip a little and get beaten by the league's lesser lights, if you ask me that is a sign that the league is actually in very good health. More teams are able to compete with the top 4 and we're in a situation where the league as a whole is much more competitive, there are really no easy games. As a neutral, that is exactly how I always dreamed it to be.

You could argue that this happened because (1) the big teams got weaker (which is true, most of the world's best players now play in Spain) or (2) The small teams got a lot stronger. I would say it's a combination of the two, and whilst that does mean our top sides may not be as strong or dominating as they once were, where "competitiveness" is concerned that is an excellent thing.

There were more than a few pundits waxing lyrical about Ferguson's genius and how brilliant the new United side was just after they beat Arsenal 8-2. Not to mention the fact that United were stuffed last week by yet another of the teams who weren't even in the top flight a few seasons ago, so saying now that United losing 6-1 means the Premier League is rubbish makes no sense to me.

It's true the title was won by 9 points last season, but the numbers don't tell the story here. With 3 games to go Chelsea were 3 points behind United with equal good, and Arsenal only 3 points further back.

It was only in the final furlong that it became a 2, and then going in to the final game a 1 horse race, that's pretty good by premier League Standards, even if it was a bigger winning margin than any of the previous 4 seasons (1, 4, 2, 6).

Add to that the fact that right up until the start of May, with 35 games played, everyone in the bottom half was with in 6 points of the relegation places and still not safe, and I would say you have the ingredients for one of the most competitive seasons in recent times. Remember Chelsea were run away league winners in most people's books after the first 8 games, and United came back and over hauled them to win the title.

Not sure what we can compare the EPL to but in La Liga where there has, for god knows how many years, right from the first game of the season, only been two teams capable of winning the league, at least here there are 10 - 12 that can realistically go down, and at the start of this season at least 5 which were realistically capable of winning the league.

Can any other league in the world compete with the EPL in terms of teams that can win the title, and teams that can be relegated, because that is my yard stick for competitiveness!
Cameronjack18 (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Very well put Araz! The game is going under an ever going evolution in England (especially at teams like Man United). So Man UTD might not be the toughest in Defence like they were last season? So what. They have much more verve and adventure in their attack, as they are required to with a new young school of talent coming in mixing in with the old guard. To say that the quality of football in England is dying is a bad argument.

The national team is another story though...
Yeah I love the fact that at the start pf the season Fergie abandoned the "2 holding midfielders" strategy ad just went to attack people. The result.... Man United 8 Arsenal 2
RipVanDangle (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
100% Incorrect.... The EPL is getting better and better every year.... Its the most competitive and talented league in the world.... It will never be overtaken by any other league especially La Liga

Sidenote: Everton have finished the last few premiere league seasons in/close to the bottom half of the table come christmas. Nothing new here...
Patreek9 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
What are the standards of the Premier League if in serious decline?
BoboRed (Leeds United) 2 years ago
The only thing that is dying on its feet around here is the standard of article posted on this site.

Seriously, footytube, do you seriously believe this drivel deserves a place on your home page?
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this is a place for debate, whilst like you I don't agree with the author, we're always happy to hear an argument from someone, even if we disagree with it
Georgiebest07 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Yea, but this is a very unintelligent written article, because the top flight teams arent the same the leagues getting worse? That's why clubs make transfers, If Celtic and Rangers begin to fall behind and arent at the top of their league does that mean the Scottish Prem. Is getting stronger? Or in Spain, Barca and Real slip up? That's why the English league is the best its so interesting week in and week out you never know whats going to happen. To say that United has the worst team this season that he has seen is out of control. Do we not remember how United started off this season in the Prem. And in Europe. And Guess what he's doing it again with Kids! Other than the French League the Prem was the only team to have two clubs make it to the Quarter Finals last year in the Champions League I believe the year before that they had 3 clubs in the Semi-finals. By the way you obviously didn't see the fact that United had a man sent off, Were talking top flight football, when a man gets sent off there's a significant advantage for the opposition. Bad article and you are entitled to your opinion, but it is a shite opinion
Like I said I don't agree with it either, and have given my reasons in the first response to this article, but I'm not going start calling people names
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Well, I have to say I agree with Bobo. This article is here for one reason only: to make people talk about it and therefore attract people to the website. It's what tabloids do, and I loathe it.

I can not believe any sane man that knows a bit of international football will seriously say the EPL is dying. In fact, it just is getting more competitive, and I'm loving that. However, I detest the manner in which it happens. Raise your own players, god damn it
Ayoung18 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Is it april 1st already?
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
Nonsense...
Gullit (Reading) 2 years ago
This post has been removed by a footytube administrator
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
Lol this guy completely contradicts himself, as you point out. Just look at these two sentences:

"It use to be an achievement to finish in the top 5 in the Premier League; however there is arguably at least 10 sides who have the capabilities of achieving it. "

"I for one hope we are just witnessing a blip and this season and the lack of serious competition isn’t a sign of further things to come. "

So there are 10 teams capable of finishing in the top 5, but there is a lack of serious competition?
Bolivarista1 (Bolivar La Paz) 2 years ago
Completely and absolutely disagree. I'm a die hard Serie A fan and will be the first to say the EPL blows every other league out the water
684shilmido (Manchester United) 2 years ago
The league is definitely not 'dying on its feet. ' The only case the author would've had is to point out to the ludicrous spending by Manchester City to create their current team, but he points out every other non-valid reason available. Nonsensical article
Miks1986 (Manchester City) 2 years ago
This is probably the most biased, illogical and horridly idiotic article I have ever read
Thebeautifulgam (Liverpool) 2 years ago
What retard wrote this article? The fact that the top teams aren't winning every game anymore is the best evidence that the premier league is becoming more and more competitive as the bottom teams get better and better.compare the premier league to la liga where barca and real win almost every game, are the only contenders for the title every year, and the other teams provide them with no competition. Whoever wrote this article doesn't know jack about the premier league or soccer for that matter!
Braylann (CA Boca Juniors) 2 years ago
I think the EPL was incredible last year. You never knew what was gonna' happen. I think the point of this article should have been that Barcelona is untouchable and Real Madrid is close in 2nd with Mourinho, and that the EPL sucks because it's teams will never be able to compete
BeastDaBest (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Good point that makes more sense in comparison with Premier league that has 5 or 6 competitors each season
Cameronjack18 (Barcelona) 2 years ago
I would love to see Barcelona and Madrid compete in the EPL. Now THAT would be veryyyy interesting!
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
We have a thing called the Champions League for matches like that
Rubin (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
Just like everyone else who has commented, I think this article is terribly written

Kick4Life - changing lives through football