Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Premier League Has Become An Easy Gig
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
Sir Alex Ferguson said that if United end up winning the title this season it will rank as one of his greatest achievements of all time and he is not wrong, given it will be arguably the worst title winning side in the 20 years of the Premier League. This season has seen the continued decline in standards and I question whether we will ever see it return.

I wasn’t having a swipe at United, but this is a team in total transition at the moment and yet still has the ability (despite all the injuries they have suffered) to top the table and once again be the team to catch. Everywhere you look in the League there is a smacking of mediocrity and it shows how far everyone has fallen. It use to be an achievement and a massive challenge to finish in the top four however Arsenal look set to finish 3rd despite suffering a mini crisis up until February, while with the greatest respect to Newcastle they wouldn’t be anywhere near the top four had Chelsea got rid of AVB weeks before they did, or Redknapp hadn’t taken his eye off the ball at Spurs. It is now become a free for all at the top and any team capable of putting a string of wins together could be up there challenging the elite.

I have read so much drivel from journalists this season who state that the fact the likes of Wigan can beat the United, Liverpool and Arsenals of this world further highlights what a wonderful league we have in this country and how it’s the envy of Europe. The recent performances of the Latics in my view just further underlines my standpoint about the drop in standards and I wonder if any of the aforementioned great teams of the past will have suffered such beatings in the past. The excitement and unpredictability of the Premier League is down to collective mediocrity, rather than the overall standard of lesser sides improving.

The Premier League, let’s be honest, has become something of an easy gig now and the gap from the top to the bottom has been as close as it has ever been. Teams like Norwich and Swansea get lauded about their showings this season and the fact they look set to achieve a solid mid-table finish, but how is that possible? There was a time that all promoted sides faced a tough task to stay in the Premier League, but suddenly they have become competitive from the off. I’m not suggesting that both Paul Lambert and Brendan Rogers don’t deserve credit for their debut performances, but I wonder if they really feel the Premier League was hard as they initially expected.

So am I alone in thinking that standards have dropped in the Premier League and if so what are the reasons for it? I truly believe that somewhere along the way the modern player is losing their self-motivation to succeed at the highest level and are failing to show the required effort, passion and work-rate on a weekly basis. Many managers in the past have talked of the problem of how to motivate a dressing room of multi-millionaires and I do wonder if a majority of players now have the appetite they once did to play for their respective clubs. You only have to see the amount of players who are only too willing to retire from International football in recent years, to further highlight how the appeal of top level football is waning with some players.

Maybe the drop in standards in the Premier League in the last few years has just been a blip and we will one day see it back to its competitive best for all the right reasons – I for one have my doubts we ever will.

Blog by Dan Jessop

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Sqrlaway (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Used to be everybody bitched about how the wealthiest clubs had a vice-grip monopoly on the league. Now we're complaining because it's more accessible and there's more room for lower-budget teams to compete? Really? This season has produced some fantastic football from a spectator's standpoint, and the title race is as exciting as ever with everything down to the Manchester derby. It takes a serious buzzkill to stand up and say "look, we need to go back to the old pay-to-win system". Your assertions about the "modern player" smack of complete lunacy, especially given how utterly unwilling many big-name retirees have been to stay safely retired (Scholes?) and the quality of football that England clubs continue to produce (Chelsea's defensive grind against Barcelona impressed even this Manchester United fan). Please focus on enjoying watching something other than utterly predictable beatdowns from big-name clubs on the lower ones and allow yourself to enjoy some of the fantastic shake-ups that this season is producing, rather than pining for a day and age where every result came down to which side could spend more money on star players
49ers04 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
This.
There's always something for people to complain about.
Basically this author is saying the league is too unpredictable?
I admit the fact that Utd. Has won the league so much recently doesn't help the EPL's case.
But they've been the the champions league final twice, and now Chelsea is.
The EPL must be awfully bad if the current 6th placed team could potentially be the best in Europe after May....

To say the quality of the EPL has diminished is a legitimate point, but Jessop uses the wrong reasoning.
49ers04 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Football as a whole is in decline, for a whole bunch of factors. The EPL isn't special
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I agree with 49ers04, but different leagues face their own different issues - aggregating the problems would be an overstatement, despite the universal problem of diving
IllbehaviourNZ (Wellington Phoenix) 2 years ago
It is funny that you mentioned, the word drivel in your piece. As that is all this piece is. I have seen this written about ten to twenty times in the last two to three years. Try writing something original. Also, try to understand that you could never ever, ever, get close to the ability that the top flight players around the world possess. They are phenomenal, United are not a bad team. Otherwise tyhey would not be on top of the table. Barcelona just lost to Chelsea who are fifth in the Prem. That says a lot about your observations really. Try working on a piece for a bit longer, it looks as though you cobbled this together in about ten minutes. Honestly, it is tired cliched drivel. One more thing, international football is no longer t'top level football', really mate, you need to think things through more, the world cup is a billion dollar industry, the football on show is always crap. The champions league and Copa Libertadores have superceded FIFA's 'international' sideshow for good. In regard to what you say about United winning the league, I am no fan of theirs, but once again Fergie has pushed a team further than people thought he could. Bad teams are incapable of winning league trophies, your assertion that one may do that sums up your knowledge of football, as it appears in this blog anyway. I recommend working harder on your research and thinking things through more before you write
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Spot on
ChadForArsenal (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I can't seem to possess the ability to agree more here
Martinms (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
People will naturally react defensively when you question the merits of their league or the team that they are following (see the above Mr. IllbehaviorNZ). I agree with your blog post, simply because the falling standards of the Premier League are evident for all to see. Case in point: Arsenal vs Chelsea, Wigan vs Newcastle, Blackburn vs Tottenham to mention a few that was played just over the last two weeks. Dismal games, dismal player performances. Its really hard to disagree based on rationally founded arguments, so people will attempt to do what Mr. IllbehaviourNZ does.

As for the causality of the decline that you call for, my personal belief is that it has something to do with the businessification of the Premier League, if you will. In my point of view, the Premier League has been dominated by the inclusion of billionaires buying clubs (Man City, Fulham, Blackburn etc.). This has, in turn, inflated footballers' earnings creating a lovely footballing bubble and made the truly good footballers completely complacent. They stopped caring. Case in point would be Fernando Torres, even though he is a great player and undoubtedly a good person, who simply did not have anything to prove anymore. Incentives matter, and what we have seen are men who have no reason to show their capacity for football. The love of football itself as a motivator is probably what keeps things going, but it has limits. Only great managers like Sir Ferguson can maintain this factor, while lesser (or less experienced) managers like Mancini are dumbfounded by his overpaid mercenaries' inability to give 100%.

Pretty obvious
Repost
Ladino (Juventus) 2 years ago
The article is drivel. I remember many seasons ago when teams would win a game on paper just because of the lineup. The opposing team would look at their well paid star players and practically self destruct when the stronger(or richer team) turned on the pressure. Now we say players from humble beginnings working hard to either get noticed by a 'big team' or help move their team up the table.
Opposing teams are no longer beaten on paper, every footballer who plays in the top league of any country is now playing with the grit and determintation necessaryto raise his personal value and make the big bucks.
Yes, sometimes the phenoms get lazy and don't want to tackle or go back to defend, but that's what managers are for, to guide them and impress upon them the need to play as a team.
Pleas stop recycling this article and write soemthing original
Doggotbitm (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
Unlike every other butthurt fan here, I have to agree with this blog post. I feel that this is almost a global epidemic. If you look at leagues like Serie A, where ex European Champions like Inter continue to fall to small time opposition, or where the leader Juventus has almost as many draws as wins, then theres something to be said about the quality put forth by the so called stars of those teams. And now, if you look at La Liga, you'll see the same thing. Sure Barcelona and Madrid have really been playing Champagne football for the longest time, but how long has it been since another team has been able to truly challenge for the top spot? And has there ever been such a big gap between second and third place? In my opinion, all this is caused by two things. The first being what Martinms said, the businessification of the beautiful game. Since The Champions League has become such a marketable competition, players and teams have had their earnings from the competition boosted like never before, and the publicity, reputation, and sponsorship that there is to be gained from competing in this competition has made the players only want to play for personal stardom, and less for their team. Point and case, Cristiano Ronaldo (although he's made more of a team effort as of late). But also, this has made players more reluctant to play internationally, as the importance of competitions like the Euro, Copa America, Confederations Cup and to some degree even the World Cup, decline. A perfect example of this is Jose Mourinho, with his comments on the World Cup, saying it is not as important as the Champions League, and that he would never want to coach internationally. Another example of this is the World Cup 2010, when all the stars that were expected to perform at their best played horribly (Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi, Drogba, Torres). All this goes to show that players are just pampered by their fat wallets and luxurious lifestyle, only wanting to perform if it betters their image, and no longer caring for club or country. The second factor that I believe has weakened the level of the game, is the new strictness that FIFA has decided to employ when refereeing. While they won't use goalline technology, and other forms of rulings that would help the game, FIFA and UEFA decide that they will cut out all the physicality of the game, and punish any who try to play the game as it was supposed to be played (roughly), and instead they reward those who dive, play the ref, and just play overall very cowardly. The argument about the death of the physical game is a completely different thing that merrits it's own discussion so I won't get in to that
MaineRdMan (Manchester City) 2 years ago
"Since The Champions League has become such a marketable competition, players and teams have had their earnings from the competition boosted like never before, and the publicity, reputation, and sponsorship that there is to be gained from competing in this competition has made the players only want to play for personal stardom, and less for their team. Point and case, Cristiano Ronaldo"-

Really? Surely any player wanting to play in the Champions League needs their team to be playing IN the competition and therefore would need to do well in their own League.... And how does someone scoring 60+ goals a season for their team not be doing it for the team.

In my opinion, The beautiful game has never been more beautiful and the Premier League has not been this exciting and open for a long time. Sometimes necessary for the top teams to be shaken up by the others, or some rich Oil Tycoon to buy your team half of the best players in Europe.

Anyway, you're nuts
MaineRdMan (Manchester City) 2 years ago
"Since The Champions League has become such a marketable competition, players and teams have had their earnings from the competition boosted like never before, and the publicity, reputation, and sponsorship that there is to be gained from competing in this competition has made the players only want to play for personal stardom, and less for their team. Point and case, Cristiano Ronaldo"-

Really? Surely any player wanting to play in the Champions League needs their team to be playing IN the competition and therefore would need to do well in their own League.... And how does someone scoring 60+ goals a season for their team not be doing it for the team.

In my opinion, The beautiful game has never been more beautiful and the Premier League has not been this exciting and open for a long time. Sometimes necessary for the top teams to be shaken up by the others, or some rich Oil Tycoon to buy your team half of the best players in Europe.

Anyway, you're nuts
Phoenix88 (Manchester City) 2 years ago
He is definitely nuts. They can't stand the fact that city is able to beat them, c'mon.... I mean.... 19 league title? UTD is one of the biggest team due to marketing. That's how you were able to afford and pay your players more than any other teams.

All crying because they lost, get over it, get used to it
PaoloG (Sevilla) 2 years ago
I don't think the level of the EPL has degraded much, if at all. Which would you prefer, Dan - a league with a competitive Top Six, any of whom could be vulnerable to a Lower Fourteen side on any given day, or a league with eighteen second-rate teams who have had all their starters poached by the remaining two in order to stack their benches? At the moment, I'll take EPL over La Liga any day
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Ahem.... Speaking of drivel.... footytube stick to what your good at.... Ie providing the highlights. This column in general leaves much to the imagine
Pranith001 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Absolute poop.... But then again people will always find things to complain about
Regardless this blog is poopoo.... Absolute poopoo
Aufgehtsbayern (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Lol it wasnt like it was in the late 90s early 2000s. Theres too much $$$ in football these days, long story short
Isenblud (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Football is just like any other business the Title of the best will jump around but MY fellow football FANS all these leagues are Amazing ! Juventus is pulling of an invincibles, ManU is Grinding results without any expenditure against the Big buck City. I don't need to talk about Barca and Real. AC has been phenomenal and Bayern and Dortmund are also mind blowing ! Why complain and compare lets enjoy the good games and troll about the bad ones. Simple !
Arenga (AC Milan) 2 years ago
Nothing is Immposible. Forza Manchester!
IKnan (Liverpool) 2 years ago
You could either see the glass as half full, or half empty. It's not as much the fall of the top teams than it is the rising of mediocre teams to challenge for champions league spots. So many other clubs are finding the money to keep that momentum going. Look out for the permanent strength of Newcastle, Tottenham, etc. It's here to stay for a long time.
HELLSAMMAS (Liverpool) 2 years ago
The argument that the premier league is decling is a joke. This is the biggest and still growing league, in the world. The pool of worldwide talent is also only growing. Manchester United may not have their best ever team but surely their performance this season is a testament to their supreme mental abilities, which allow them again and agian to get over the line, when perhaps not (on the balance of play) deserving to. I think in regard to Norwich and Swansea's success you have to look at the ability of their managers and players as the reason for their success, Swansea have a playing style that will give them majority possesion against almost any oppsition and they have players that suit their playing style in all positions (they are also a young team which is constantly improving), making them greater then the sum of their parts. The traditional top teams are all currently in transition (Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United) but this is a fact of life, players get old and have to be replaced (or in the case unfortunate case of Arsenal they get older (not old), forget who made them great palyers and move for a bigger pay check). The rest have improved, including those in the championship. But in terms of pure on paper talent (which seems to be the focus of your piece) Manchester City have a list which matches any ever assembled in the premier league. Just in case you've forgotten,
Tevez
Aguero
Balotelli
Dzeko
Silva
Nasri
Barry
Toure
De Jong
Glichy
Kompany
Hart
Just to name a few, all in or approaching their prime, so maybe when Ferguson said winning the Title would be their greatest achievement, he was not just talking about the fact his own team was somewhat in transition but also in reference to the quality of his main rival this year
AndyLe69 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
To EPL fans this is hard to accept.
But you need to realise this.
Epl this past 2 season has looked unpredictable are due to the top teams inconsistency!
Not because of the lower teams playing good! And that's a worry sign, not something to feel excited about!

How well has Man UTD and other top teams played?
Usually they are losing matches are due to them playing Crap and being dominated by lower teams.
Not like both teams were playing good and they wasn't lucky and lose.
If that isn't enough prove of EPL top teams are declining then what is?
Have you seen Real Madrid vs Valencia when the result is 0-0?
Eventhough Real Madrid didn't win but their performance are up to what is expected of them.
And it was a great match.

Now can you look at most of the times Man UTD lost? Especially against Wigan.
Seriously you would thought Wigan is the top team table.

And 1 more facts. European failure! As EPL is declining being the top team in EPL doesn't really prove much. Whereas your so call best team Man you, can't even beat Basel, got overran by Bilbao and Over 2 legs! And all you fans can come up was.... Reserving for EPL teams. I think it was the might QPR or something that they have to play against after that.... Pathetic excuse.

Eventhough Chelsea have won against Barca, but does anyone say BArca was playing crap?
No they were still good, but wasn't at their best. As long as the performance are up to that standard, the result doesn't really matter.
Whereas Man UTD performance has been pathetic. And all you can brag about this season is your EPL stats.... Which doesn't really mean much this season. Have you ever seen Man UTD cower against other teams like last night match? 0 chance on second half even though they tried to attack. Really they can't defend and can't even attack when they needed, and they are the 2nd top of the table. That said enough!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football