Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
The FA Need To Get Control And Quick
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
Another weekend and yet another week of trial by television as the media, as the headline writers take advantage of the multiple cameras in football stadia to put individuals under the microscope and look to subsequently get them punished. It is becoming a joke and further underlines what a mess the once ‘Beautiful Game’ is fast becoming.

I know there of many of you out there who will see no problem in this scrutiny and believe those guilty should be made to pay, but I question not only the consistency of them and whether the real villains are getting their comeuppance. I’m not going to come on here and preach to the world about how Mario Balotelli has been hard done by, because the guy is an idiot, but let’s compare his actions to that of say Joleon Lescott. It seems to me the FA have simply responded to Harry Redknapp’s outburst and the subsequent outpour of disdain towards Mad Mario, rather than look to address the intentional (in my opinion) forearm smash that Younes Kaboul received. We all know the FA don’t like to throw the book at England internationals and I fear the same blind eye has been turned here. Balotelli couldn’t see where he was kicking out to, where Lescott certainly knew where he was and what he was doing.

What I find frustrating is the total inconsistency of the FA’s actions. I’m sure had Balotelli not scored a last minute winner that saw Redknapp’s angry post-match rant, which subsequently triggered a media response; they would have simply brushed it under the carpet like they did with Lescott. They now have a new incident to deal with as the ‘trial by television’ brigade have brought up Peter Crouch’s apparent gouging of Olsson. Roy Hodgson claimed this morning that he didn’t know of the incident and his player didn’t mention it, therefore leaving muddied waters for the FA to deal with. You can guarantee that City fans and hierarchy are sitting there, waiting to see their response to it and will rightly cry ‘double standards’ if no action is taken. I personally fear the FA will simply ignore it, because let’s be honest they are an organisation that react to an outcry, rather than be consistent and govern the game properly, while putting appropriate sanctions in place for such actions.

Herein lies the problem and the lack of governance within the game is what is causing all these issues to manifest themselves. There are far too many grey areas, referees aren’t given any subsequent assistance and a lack of consistency arouses suspicion with players, managers and supporters. If you look at all the negatives around the game of football these days then I can guarantee that 90% of them would be resolved if the FA stamped their authority on the game and run the game with an iron fist. The lack of strength at the top of the game is the main reason behind the infighting and frustration within football. On one hand you will get Fergie getting a touchline ban and fine for ranting at a referee, while Harry Redknapp gets little more than a ticking off for the same offence. You have Balotelli getting a four match ban for kicking out, while Lescott gets off scot-free for what is arguably (given he can see Kaboul face on) a more dangerous offence. The likes of Lee Probert get taken off his refereeing duties for a mistake, where Howard Webb gets off scot free for missing an incident that had a significant effect on the result of the game - frustration isn’t the word and the sooner this organisation is reformed, the greater chance we have of seeing some sanity and common sense return to the game.

Blog by Tom Patten

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
CheMaradona 2 years ago
This is an absolutely brilliant piece sir, great article.

The FA decision on Suarez didn't piss me off because I found Suarez not guilty, I just found it a joke because FA could have done the 'right' thing against racism and used Terry as an example of their stance against racism. Unfortunately it is much easier to hit a Latin instead of a thoroughbred Brit.

Although I gotta' admit something else, the stomp from Balo was really disgusting and the fact that the FA did something about it was awesome because Pepe won't have any repercussions for his stomp on Messi's hand
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
You do realise the FA cannot legally deal with John Terry at the current time because he is being dealt with by the british legal system (Courts, Cops). His court case is taking place next week if I am not mistaken. So please stop riding the train that the FA is looking the other way, because its not, The police are handling it
Ruskin (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Great article, and great responce in the debate, the thing about this beautiful game everybody is a expert on the game that's why its so popular. At times I don, t think its racism at times, but nationalism. What ever it there is no place in football alias soccer
Fxate (Manchester United) 2 years ago
It was a clear kick, it doesn't matter in the slightest where he hit.

Fact is, it was an obvious and deliberate kick out. His momentum alone would have prevented it happening by accident, why the hell should it matter if it wasn't supposed to hit Parker's head?

Also, stop talking about the f*****g Terry case. It is not being dealt with by the FA because it is going through the courts of law first, what is it that you do not understand about this?
CheMaradona 2 years ago
He clearly stated he wasn't defending Balotelli, the point of this journalist is to expose some of the choice attacks from the FA. If they truly wanted to protect the sport they would be fair, not just go after a select few, but make it even across the board to everyone.

I can't stop talking s**t about Terry because he makes it easy to do so, I personally don't care about his personal life but he needs to face serious penalties (at least 8 games) for his racial s**t because that would be fair
ScouserDan (Liverpool) 2 years ago
ManU fans get worked up easily
Fxate (Manchester United) 2 years ago
"Worked up" rofl.    Because being bored of seeing the same old s**t every single day is awesome amirite?  
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
"He needs to face serious penalties (at least 8 games)". He hasn't been proven guilty yet
Hardstone (NE Revolution) 2 years ago
I'm not convinced Balo did it on purpose. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I didn't see him look at SP at all and he was clearly off balance. I would hate for you all to be on a jury if I ever get pinched. I have a bad rep also!
Canning (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Yes he isn't looking, but have you seen the things he can do with a football without having to look? And when his left leg hits Parker he then knows where he is and made a poor decision
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Balo was pushed off balance, that’s clear to see. There is an agenda. How Peter Crouch got away with eye gouging beggars belief. Think the F. A. Have some explaining to do
Vishal024 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
With some level of consideration, it's visible that it isn't a seaamless task to govern football and its justice in England. The FA have a tough job, BUT all the same the outbreak of recent incidents and the quite simply laughable responses of the FA cannot be excused. It's their job, they're source of employment, of a living to review and undertake formal decisions on such issues and they aren't fitting the role or justifying the cash that they're receiving for it.

It's a clever contention this writer has, the FA are only convinced by the general opinions and responses of the public and others to take action and otherwise seem unable to form their own decisions. They also appear incapable of punishing the individuals behind similar incidents equally. There needs to be discipline in this league, charge the players with something substantial for their idiocy and guilty moves to demonstrate that no nonsense will be taken.

If it were up to me:

-Super Mario 5 match ban and a stamp on the head with shoes possessing studs to show him the danger of doing so.
-Lescott a 1 match ban for something essentially worth a red card
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I didn't see the Crouch incident so I can't comment on that. I do believe that FA were somewhat harsh on Balotelli with the 4 game ban but I wasn't surprised that they handed it to him. I'm getting sick and tired of the FA's inconsistency when it comes to handing out punishments to players. I agree that the FA seems to make decisions in favor of English players but no one can really prove that there really is a double standard. If City do appeal the FA will reject it and extend his ban
Davian (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Brilliant Brilliant article it hits the nail perfectly on the head
HangTime (Chelsea) 2 years ago
4 match ban is too little for me.  Crouch should had been a few match.
Valdarama (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Agreed, the FA definitely looks to make foreign players look bad
Andandandand (Liverpool) 2 years ago
The FA appealed Rooney's 3 match ban when he blatantly kicked another player in an off the ball incident during euro2012, imagine if that happened to any foreign player in the EPL. Dear FA please be f**king consistent, it is still considered racial inequality when you advocate zero tolerance on discrimination and then give leniency to England Cap players!
Ruskin (Liverpool) 2 years ago
That is what the English F. A. Should state a case for and behalf of the English Team, as for players from different Countries or from within the E. You. Fall in line
AndyCT5 (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
"further underlines what a mess the once ‘Beautiful Game’ is fast becoming" f*****g idiot. Do you not remember the days where people were mauled all game long? The problem with football is that more and more people wanna be involved, and thus talk about petty decisions that look 100x worse in slow mo. Live and let play. I miss MOTD when it was about footy, not should he be sent off
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
I think what the comments here have highlighted backs up the message of the blog.

The two most discussed incidents here are Ballotelli's and Crouch's although different incidents they both involved a unwarranted physical contact. The biggest difference was the level of coverage.

Mario was seen by millions on a big televised match, the incident featured heavily on replays and in the pundits match breakdown. Crouch's was not.

So it appears the FA are not responding to the incidents themselves but the media fallout. In short they are just reacting after being told to.

If you don't think I am right then ask yourself when was the last time you heard of a player receiving a lengthy ban that didn't follow an incident that was not heavily deconstructed in the press

Kick4Life - changing lives through football