Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Should Torres Have Left Liverpool?
Matt (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
It is a massive question with 13 games under his belt with the blues and not even a sniff of a goal and a look of muted embarrassment on his face every time he comes off the pitch, it is one he must be asking himself.

This question is discussed by Neil 'Razor' Ruddock and Gary O'Reilly in the second of the FootballFancast podcasts brought to you in association with us here at footytube.

Also in this weeks episode are Leeds a big club and is it physically possible to hang in the air? Scholesie gets the poetry treatment, Razor recounts the tale of his holidays with Robbie Williams and the lads are joined by the Pigeon Detectives guitarist and devout Leeds fan Ryan Wilson.

If you have a question to ask either Razor or Gary then ask it here or on the podcasts comments and we will see to it they get it and maybe you will get a mention in next weeks show. Also any feedback to the show is welcome.

Click here to listen now:

Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
He should never have come to england, he would be better staying where he was in spain, he hasnt exactly set the epl on fire even when at liverpool, and he's went downhill bigstyle since joining chelsea
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Better off staying in Spain? He was amazing in his first few seasons at Liverpool
Maxb229 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Torres has more than proven his worth in the EPL since his arrival at Liverpool and I believe that, although he is currently having a rough spell with the Blues, he will continue to score important goals that will help his team win games. As a Liverpool fan, I was initially heartbroken. But in the grand scheme of things, prolific players come and go. I am really excited about the new-look, industrious Liverpool we've been seeing in recent weeks. They've certainly shored up their defensive strategy and they are getting ample attacking results. We can certainly expect great things from Carroll and Suarez. With the purchase of a central midfielder like Charlie Adam as well as an out-and-out left winger, the Reds will have all the makings of a title contender next season
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
I can't listen to the podcasts right now, but here is my thought:

Should Torres have left Liverpool?

At that time, no I think he should have stayed at Liverpool until the summer and wait how things would have evolved at Liverpool. Plus, before moving out, you can't tell exactly whether he`s going be successful straight away at Chelsea. Anyways, since he wanted to move out there is no point to keep him.
Now, Torres wanted to move to Chelsea, with the opportunity to prove himself at the club, take up the challenge, participate in the champions league and stuff.... Fair enough I understand he wants to take his career to another level. However, in football we all know that when a player joins a new club, there are factors which need to be taken into consideration, such as the time that is needed to adapt and fit in the new team's style of play. In this case it turns out to be a failure so far, both for the club and for him, because right now Torres hasn't really made an impact at Chelsea. Having not scored a single goal in 13 games has quite affected his play and confidence, making him less likely to be a 1st choice striker for Ancelotti. That's understandable, because Chelsea needs results.

As far as Liverpool is concerned, like I said before Torres should have stayed until the summer, and then make a decision. But he chose to leave saying that he wanted to "develop further as a player", well now he's a flop.

To me when a player doesn`t keep his words, and joins a rival club, I see him as a traitor. I know everything goes fast in football, but breaking promises is just disrespectful to the supporters.

Anyways, I believe Torres will get back to his best with Chelsea next season
Tanair (Liverpool) 3 years ago
No, he not only broke the contract, but also broke millions of hearts.... That's it...
You probably ended up with two better players for the price of torres, so its not all doom and gloom for liverpool.
I bet if you asked any liverpool fan now would they take torres back, and get rid of suarez and carroll, they would tell you were to get off.... Lol
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
He also made history, being among the top worst transfer signings of the EPL.

Link: www.caughtoffside.com/2011/04/19/top-25-worst-tran...

I understand how difficult it is for Kop fans to accept it and move on, but at least Reds are doing well this year 2011, getting good results.

When Heinze and Cana joined Marseille I was in Shock, on top of that they both scored against us and celebrated like crazy. That was painful to see
Tanair (Liverpool) 3 years ago
@toni....  I don't give a s**t how good our team....  It is about he betraying liverpool....  
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
At the end of the day no one is more worthy of the club then the players who are dedicated to giving their all, torres for example didn't want to stay and get liverpool back in the champions league, chelsea was a get of jail card for him. You can't blaim him but I agree, liverpool is such a prestigious club and the fans practically worshiped him week in week out
@Tanair: what goes around comes around, and at this time in the premier league, he looks like a 50million donkey. We got carrol who is coming slow but is scoring the little chances that he is getting with his fitness.

And don't worry, we got a couple of faithfulls in our squad like Lucas and Kuyt who just make me so proud of being a liverpool fan
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
He's already made that list? It's only been a few months
Tanair (Liverpool) 2 years ago
@ramos, very, now time to move on.... No player is bigger than any club.... And watchin player like lucas and kuyt makes me proud, being a foreigner, they show loyalty.... Kop used to boo lucas, still while signing the contract, he said it was easy descision to remain at anfield.... And kuyt.... What can we say about him. He's just awesome...
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I stopped looking at that list when they put Dzeko, I mean he has only been here for a few matches! And torres aswell, If he is on their next season shoot me
Well the only thing I can critise is the time of when he decided to leave Liverpool, if he didn't leave while Liverpool were rebuilding and at the end of the season he would have been respected by liverpool fans, the fact that he left at the middle of the season showed he didn't care about the future of our team and the fact that he chose to play in the champions league selfishly with ought trying to help liverpool get to that stage.

I do not blaim him for doing what he did, if your uncertain about your future, you should try to find a better solution, in his situation Chelsea. But he just chose the wrong time.

In relevance to his future, it was a huge decision, he had to make a big impact for Chelsea early on, and facing his old team on his first week messed up his morale, its been 13 games and he still hasn't scored, or looked like his old self. In the end I believe torres is a isolated striker, he has done well with david villa in the spanish squad but other then that he needs some one special like gerrard to make him play well. I don't know if he is gonna' fit with the current Chelsea players but I hope in time he can
Sergio, my opinion has always been, no player is bigger than the club, and if he doesent wanna be there, get shot of him, it was obvious torres wanted away, and liverpool did the right thing in cashing in on him, and they done well bringing in the two players they did.
I'm still on rooneys case about when he wanted to go, and I vowed I would never chant his name at any of the games I have been to since, and I havent, and it also wouldnt annoy me if rooney left tomorrow.... As I said, no ones bigger than the club
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I agree, but at the same time it doesn't mean I dislike Rooney staying here. I still will never consider him a United great after what he did but I'm not going to hate on him either.

As far as Torres goes. He didn't want to be at Liverpool anymore that was obvious, but leaving was stupid. He was really really a good player in his first couple of years at Liverpool but with Chelsea I can't see him getting back to his best unless something big changes.

Seeing the opportunity however, Liverpool cashed in and it was a smart thing to do
@ramos, I read 'torres-el nino my story' his autobiography, not even a month before he took this step.... If person reads this book, he can easily say that torres would never leave liverpool, he even wrote that there would be a time when he'll get 'ynwa' inked on his body...
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Its funny right? He said he 100% in love with the club, and he felt comftoble living here in merseyside, and then when he wants to leave he says the club had problems all along? Wtf? I really can't understand what he was on about all those months
Teja7 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
It must have been something internal, that's how I think about it.
Well, if you look at my nick, you'll see that I love Torres as a player and respect him very much.
And it broke my heart when he left, but then I thought - " So what? The time of his exit and comments afterwards were very disgraceful and idiotic BUT his contributions while at Liverpool far outweigh the mistakes he made. " - And I stuck with him and supported his decision and I'm happy that he made such a huge decision in his life.

But what I don't get is that just 2 weeks before he said in a interview that he wasn't going anywhere and that he will stay at Liverpool and then out of nowhere, he hands in a transfer request.
Personally, I think that something happened internally in the club. Something like a bust up with the owners or King Kenny. Because even the way King Kenny did his interviews, he was pissed when they talked about Torres (but that's to be expected).
And the fastness of the decision from the Liverpool board to sell Torres after he handed in a transfer request really surprised me and that's why I think something happened between him and King Kenny.
Or maybe he didn't like Suarez and didn't want to play alongside him because of what happened during the World Cup 2010. Maybe he hated Suarez for what he did against Ghana.... And all the other controversies that followed Suarez.

It could have been anything, maybe when Chelsea came knocking with the 50m he thought of it as a way out, something like a 'get out of jail card'.

Very sad to see him go. I idolized him. I still do, but it's so much more different and complicated to see him in blue. Just pisses the crap out of me
I never really thought about it that way, maybe something did happen inside the club which led to el nino's transfer request. But I don't think his move had anything to do with Suarez's WC handball, lol. After all Spain did win it
Theo (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Not really if you look at it, he wanted to hand in a transfer request LAST summer, but they (Hicks and Gillet) convinced him not to, and promised him Liverpool will be a much better team and they will get better players and what not - (there was a journalist on skysports, that said all this the week before he moved) and why did he put in a transfer request? Simple, he didn't know what was happening at Liverpool, and if they were going to challenge for trophies in the near future.

I have to admit, I never thought he would leave Liverpool, especially to Chelsea after we failed to sign him on many many occasions. But the journalist seemed to think, Torres' agent came to Chelsea and said he would consider a move. Which is why we made a bid, and smashed the british transfer record to finally get him!
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Look, those podcast guys hit the target here.

This is a big scam. And probably Torres is playing the part.

They sold him to Roman for 50 mil. Torres is advised to play horribly.come the summer, they will ask to buy him back for 5 mil. Roman will be happy to save at least 10%. Torres returns and shines. Liverpool have Torres back, two other good forwards and 40 mils to spend (well a bit less, considering Torres' cut).

Mystery solved! Thank you Football Fancast!
Haha don't think no liverpool fan will welcome him back in open arms
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 2 years ago
If they learn that he made 40 mils for them, why not?
Lol....  I hope he doesn't even visit anfield to play against liverpool....    Kops will kill him....
BigD123 (Wolverhampton Wanderers) 2 years ago
Only one problem with that plan with kuyt carrol and saurez firing on all cylinders I'm not sure torres will get a game. I honestly think that in the long run although hurt by the disloyalty, liverpool fans will see that torres leaving when he did was the best result for him and the club.

My advice foe liverpool fans - remember the good times and realise that you sold a player who wasnt do very well for top buck to your rivals who will probably seem him for half the price if that. That should cheer you up!
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Well the timing of his move was really bad, he should have either left the summer before or waited till the end of the season to move. Maybe things would have turned out differently anyway I can only hope that he starts to turn things around sooner rather than later
Messi15 (Barcelona) 2 years ago
I will keep it nice and simple. No!
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 2 years ago
Torres has been having problem with timing in general.

That is why he can't score and that's why he stood with Liverpool when they went down and left them when they were in their way up.

It's all about timing in football. And not only there
Ernie7 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Spot on. Lol
BigD123 (Wolverhampton Wanderers) 2 years ago
Should torres have left liverpool? - yes

Should he have gone to chelsea? - no

I personally feel that torres is a great player who has fallen under the weight of the prem. England is not always the best choice for the foriegn superstar because we are a tough crowd to please and if we are honest a large majority of the crowd is easily swayed by the opinion of the few. Torres is just one a few graet players who didn't settle in england. Forlan, benzema come to the top of my head, the great anelka was out of favor for years until his resurgence.

If I were torres I would try and get back to spain and find my way again but not with one of the big two. I would go to a top ten side but one that lets me play every week for ninety mins with a fan base that screams adoration at my name, cause lets face it deep down we all just want to be loved
To be honest I don't think the Reds would have started to improve as quickly as they did if Torres didn't leave. Because of injury problems it looked unlikely that he was going to return to that same form before the end of the season and the sale of torres was the best move for the club considering the players that they bought with the money. The fans can get angry and burn all the shirts they want but the Reds made the right call in selling him
So, you can edit that now, He has officialy finally god-damnedly scored!

Lol, he should have left liverpool, but not in the middle of te season
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 2 years ago
I said when it happened that Pool got the better of the deal and Torres made a huge mistake. Oh well.... I wasn't in the locker room for all those years so who knows how how he really felt. I will say this much though.... He really hasn't shown the world class form he is supposed to have.... And in fact I think he has had a horrible year all around.... I know some injuries are to blame and his performance in the WC was ghost like.... So maybe he just should have shut it down for a year
SaHac (Hamburger SV) 2 years ago
I agree, to me the real question will be 'was this year an aberration? '
Ravdeep (Liverpool) 2 years ago
TOrres sucks.... Lady striker from spain.... His goal sucked too.... It was water all around.... Defenders' slipped.... Ball stopped in between when he ran forward.... Defenders down, ball still, goalkeeper wondering, lady boy saw an empty goal and he placed the ball in the back of the net....
Goal? Eh! Anyone can hit an empty goal.... He still has a lot to prove himself.... First of many?
Many goal droughts.... Torres ~el-c**t~
Raj (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I read, and I read again
Theo (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Take a bow Rav, most pathetic comment ever made on the forums.... Lol! Hard to please everyone really, he finally scored a goal and that is all that matters - yes you can fault the pitch, but I don't see how you can deny, that was not a well taken goal. And I bet you didn't say he "sucks" when he kept scoring tap-in upon tap-in at Liverpool in January haha. Liverpool fans sure are one of a kind
Lady Boy? You suck mate lol
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 2 years ago
It's funny how people minimize Torres' goal, he took the strike well despite the state of the pitch. Overall, when he came on he brought some depth in the attack, using his pace when leading the counter-attack. Thus, making West ham defenders retract, and get punished with 2 more goals. Torres was involved in Chelsea's goal scoring opportunities at the end of the game, which is good. Now, let's see if he can do that during a full game. I'm sure he will, the whole squad is backing him up. >> Confidence Boost
How did he stay up during the wet? It was an amazing goal dude, admit, eaasily Goal of the week contender
Well I can see where those serious and angry votes are coming from
5h4m5 (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Stop hating Torres. As for the goal, it was awesome display of control. It was very unlike Kuyt who can hardly manage to score from beyond 6 yards or when the keeper had fumbled it

Raj (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Its easy to see why a lot of Liverpool fans feel aggrieved, uncertain times, the whole story breaking out in the last few week of the transfer window and no potential replacements lined up - at the time. A lot has happened since, Liverpool have doubled their investment in him, got two more strikers for one and have a really good shout for silverware next season. For their own sake, surely the supporters have to see that they've undoubtedly come off better in Feb than what they had in Jan.

As for Torres himself, the reasons he left are already out there, and with a pre-season to prepare with and the remainder of a 5 year contract, he'll have good things to contribute to the Chelsea squad
From a chelsea point of view I love it    Edit: this was posted by my uncle, mod delete please. (he is a bloody chelsea fan :/)
LOOL, tell your uncle to go on footytube, I'll top-friend him
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Hahaha intrusion of privacy I say
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Haha Sergio I would delete it but it is too funny

Kick4Life - changing lives through football