Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Save Southampton FC
Matt (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
Hi all,

As you may or may not have heard (probably not I would guess) my very own beloved Southampton FC is facing oblivion.

Formed in 1885 they have had a rich and varied footballing history which is in very real danger of coming to an abrupt and premature end this season. The club has gone into administration and faces the possibility of being liquidated, which means my lifelong team will be no more.

Rather than getting you all down with a dull video of the administration process (that I had up yesterday), here's a little video of some of our best bits, featuring the God that is the Tiss:

So 'What can I do to help?' I hear you ask, well I give you four options:

1) Join the facebook group 'Save Our Saints'

2) Go to the three remaining home matches, tickets for the match against Charlton are a mere £15 and they do a very nice chicken tikka pie.

3) Buy something from the club shop. They have a real big sale on right now (for obvious reasons), and are offering 50% off and buy one get on free on everythng. As if that wasn't enough, you also get a free home game ticket with the purchase of a home shirt.

4) Buy the club (debts are currently around 30 million but I'm sure they would do a deal)

Now I know not all of you will be fans of my team, in fact on closer inspection it appears currently only 12 of you are. However remember the players, Arsenal fans - without us there would be no Theo Walcott. Spurs fans - no Saints no Gareth Bale... The list goes on and on (well that's it really but you get the point).

So do what you can if you have the time. If you feel the need to flame me feel free, but hopefully you'll see the chance to help possibly save a team with a great history or maybe even definitely save the team (if you happen to have 30 million squid knocking about) and plump for option 4.
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I feel your pain matt 124 years gonna' end like that shambolic imo how that could happen the local councils and community should be helping
Neonseong (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I'm actually a bit worried with the way Liverpool is going this season, maybe years down the stretch Liverpool end up in a similar situation. I wish I lived in England to go see Southampton play, I'd sure pay
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
If I was that rich and 30 mill was pocket change i'd buy the club but I'm no roman abramovich. I also don't have a facebook, and I don't live in england. But i'll tell my friends to do what they can because I respect the cause
Crazygooner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
As someone who lived in Southampton for a couple of years it is sad to see them in this plight. The buzz about town when Strachan managed the team to an FA Cup final was amazing, the only problem being a Gooner I had to watch the game in London where I could cheer for Aresenal. The times I went to St Marys it was always full and the atmosphere was good, I hope these days return. Living half a world away and not having thirty million in my pocket means I can't do much to help, except maybe to buy some merchandise. Do they ship down under?
Sandez (Manchester United) 5 years ago
My boss supports southampton and he says he's donating £100, 000 to help
Viduka08 (Leeds United) 5 years ago
Seeing as though I support the once mighty and now fallen "giant" that is Leeds United, I know exactly what you are going through Matt. It was a surprise to hear of a once successful and popular team like Southampton getting into such trouble. As a fellow fan, I offer these consoling words of support through footytube and sincerely hope that your team does survive. Even though Leeds are now enjoying life in the 3rd tier of English football and the demise has been so painful, at least I still have a team to support and hope that you do too. All the best mate...
Crashbang (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I'm a liverpool fan, I thought that maybe we could buy your club, but its unlikely I'm afraid. Its a shame since southhampton is a fantastic supply of talent, but surely england won't let southhampton fall
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Wow, no lie Le tissier was pretty sick back in his day
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
Le Tissier was boss, all those goals would have won goal of the year for epl
CrowleyUnited (Manchester United) 5 years ago
It would be a terrible shame to see Southampton go down like that. I remember the Le Tissier era, he was definately one of the greats
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
From now on our rallying cry is, SAVE US!
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I would hop on buying that in an instant. Ya'll should appeal to an American business man!
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
That's not a bad idea at all! We have hundreds of thousands of millionaires just floating around over here in the states. :)
Betting (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Well, same happen to leeds and wimbledon, Southampton will go to history
Tony (footytube staff) 5 years ago
Judging by todays performance against brighton, they have a lot more than just money problems at southampton.
I thought with pardew they had turned the corner, but todays showing was abysmal.
Hopefully they will get the backing they need, and maybe a few £s for new players.
Good luck saints.... !
TheKeeper87 (Rangers) 5 years ago
Feel sorry for Saints fans.... My team has money probs aswell, so I can sympathise.

Really wish I could do more to help.... Hopefully they will pull through.

Fingers crossed, and Good Luck!
TheKeeper87 (Rangers) 5 years ago
How are they doing anyway? Not heard much
Matt (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
Well things are looking up since I posted this. We have been bought out and our future is secure!

Despite our 10 points deduction we have managed to overhaul that and the last match saw us clear the bottom 4 (in League One bottom 4 are relegated).
Now have our eyes firmly set on a push for a play off spot which may be a little much to ask but we can dream
Tony (footytube staff) 5 years ago
A bit of good news for a change, which is nice to see, it can't have been fun starting a season not knowing when or if your gonna' catch the pack, being 10pts in arrears from the off.
So well done st, s, , and hopefully climb that table, 'cause they are a good club

Kick4Life - changing lives through football