Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Ronaldo Who??
DrPhilosophy (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Whilst we all debate senselessly about who is better Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, Pelé or Maradonna, even Lampard or Gerrard, what annoys me the most is the possibility that most people have forgotten about the Brazilian-born Ronaldo. The original, the El Fenomeno, the one who mastered and brought Brazilian street football to the greatest stages of world football, the man who twisted the ligaments and limbs of defenders by showcasing impossible skills, leaving them on their backsides and just like a good old ‘Looney Tunes’ cartoon featuring the road runner, Ronaldo would have been long gone, escaping the line of sight, sinking into the horizon before the defender would have been able to get back up on his feet and allow his internals to readjust. Although, I doubt that Ronaldo would have clucked a cheeky ‘beep-beep’ or leave a trail of dust behind before accelerating at insane speeds. But we can’t have everything.

The internet is a vast place, used by English professors, universities and philosophers on a daily basis to succumb words that are unimaginable, words that would be used in journals, books and lectures etc. The internet then should be a wonderful source of superlatives to describe Ronaldo, but, through hours on end searching for those words to humble the man, I found to my dismay that most superlatives have already been used to describe most legends of football, past and present. ‘Ridiculous’ how about that? In the sense that he would illustrate insane skills on every football stage whether it would be street, league or world cup. Insane skills that would leave everyone watching with the same question on their lips; “How on earth did he do that??” the same question that’s asked by people who didn’t see it; because they blinked.

However, maybe it’s me; maybe I’m the one missing the point. A friend of mine feels the same way, but he justifies it by saying Ronaldo is simply in a league above everyone else. It’s like in Chemistry when a standard is used, for example, to measure the pH of a substance a universal indicator is used, so, when the results of the substance are obtained, the colours would be compared to the pH chart. Is that what it is? Is Ronaldo the standard which has been calibrated to its optimum potential and that all the other players are simply substances, stuff that is just compared to ultimate? Or is he just a forgotten hero?

Ronaldo’s sparkling record speaks for itself; 2 world cups, 3 times player of the year, a trophy or more won for every club he has played for except AC Milan, and we all know that was because he was plagued with injuries. Both Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are seen as burdens when playing for their international sides, neither have won world cups and Pele himself declared; “I think a 'great' player is defined by their performances at the World Cup.” Pele is noted down in the history books as a ‘great’ due to the fact that he has won 3 world cups and scored over 1000 goals, remarkable I agree, however, Pele didn’t play in Europe which has been the ultimate stage for any legend in every era.

Furthermore, personality wise I respect the players who are humble, down to earth but still have a winning mentality. Messi has it, Socrates had it and Ronaldo Nazário implemented it. A documentary based on Ronaldo’s life and footballing career strengthened my adoration for him. In 1994 when Ronaldo was just 17 and had joined PSV with help from Brazilian legend Romario, Ronaldo was interviewed after signing for the club and was asked how much goals he was going to score in his first season, Ronaldo replied without any hesitation or a hint of arrogance “30 goals”. Guess what? Yeah you guessed it, in his first season in Holland, Ronaldo scored 30 league goals, was the top scorer in the 1995 season and won the Dutch cup in the 1996 season.

I know that you people may be thinking, ‘so, do you want us to compare him to others and scrutinise him then?’ no I don’t, the fact remains that Ronaldo is, in my opinion, and without trying to use any clichés, the best player to ever walk on earth (spot the cliché?). But, I just hope that nobody forgets the guy as he was a complete footballer and human being aswell. PS. I know he isn’t dead!

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Well I certainly haven't forgotten about him. It's just a shame didn't end on a high because of his injuries
XMan9 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Ronaldo > Zidane > Ronaldinho > Messi > Rivaldo > Cristiano
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I don't think anyone will forget him is what people are saying. As a side note you can't even compare Gerrard to Lampard it's an insult to Steven
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Lol, Are you serious? You can't even compare? That's a joke
NKun01 (Barcelona) 2 years ago
@ Juno down there,

Even Zidane, Raul etc said "Ronaldo >>>>> themselves" when they were in RM.
They would know better than any1 else here 'cause they played together
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
Oh yeah? Add Scholes to that list then.

Zinedine Zidane: My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest midfielder of his generation.

Zinedine Zidane, widely regarded as one of the greatest footballers of our time, has claimed that Paul Scholes is as close to the complete footballer as you can get and regrets never getting to play alongside him.

“He’s almost untouchable in what he does,” said Zidane. “I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get. One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career. He was an extremely tough opponent to play against. You didn’t get any time on the ball when he was around. He would close you down and make your life terribly uncomfortable. He is the type of player you want on your side, not in opposition because he could do so much damage. He is very gifted. He makes the game look easy because he’s so much natural ability.”

Looking at how this is turning out, lets lay out what everyone else said as well.

Xavi Hernandez: Paul Scholes is a role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years.

I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him.

Socrates (Brazil): Good enough to play for Brazil.

Guardiola : Link: www.goal.com/en-us/news/174/uefa-champions-league/...

And for that matter,
Zidane mentioned that Gerrard is better than CR7 and Messi!

Edit: Add Ribery to that list.

Link: www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/07/13/1380679/z...

And oh yeah, we forgot Pele
He still claims he's the best. After watching much more talented footballer than himself for much of the 30 years. No one else comes close. Maradona? Nah. Messi? Needs to score more. Zidane? Not mentioned in a breath when this type of questions was posed to him.

Link: sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Pel...

Zizou being zizou has never talks up his own ability while trashing others. You need the millions of fans to recognise who did more, who achieved more, and who performed better. In terms of raw abilities, there might be slight difference comparing Ronaldo and Zidane, but hey, performances dictate otherwise. Over 27 years of watching football, my eyes tells me Zidane has been the best for his generation. Zidane might prefer someone else to take the 'best' but I'm not willing to settle for less.

Zidane and Raul might be polite. They can't go about claiming Rivaldo or Rondaldinho(At Barca then) is better right?
Trutht (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Fool do you actually believe scholes is better than messi, forget what the ex players cooaches stated. You must be one of these idiots that has their head so far up their own arrss they have forgotten to take it out.

Look at messi and what he has accomplished
I think you are the fool for failing to read properly. That's not by me. Its said by Zidane himself
Joshstyle (Chelsea) 2 years ago
He was the one who made me watch football
I think for sure he's one of the best striker to "walk on earth". LOL.

There's a few things we need to get here.

Ronaldo Lima is someone whom I believed has redefined a dribbler's position in modern football. In the past, Dribblers or players with a fantastic close control of the ball are usually placed in two positions, namely the number 10 - fantasista(like Maradona), and the wide wingers(Like Best or Giggs). Ronaldo's success with his speed, power and dribbling skills at the top of the formation has(for me) rewritten the position's requirement.

"Is Ronaldo the standard which has been calibrated to its optimum potential"?

No. He's an overclocked machine which ultimately breaks down far too often to be considered the very best there is. He's one of the top dog in his era no doubt. But broken for a good part of his career ultimately means that he hasn't been performing in front of the fans consistently.

"Ronaldo’s sparkling record speaks for itself; 2 world cups, 3 times player of the year, a trophy or more won for every club he has played for except AC Milan, and we all know that was because he was plagued with injuries. "

One thing here. Every clubs that he joined are championship competing or Champions elect. So even though he is a good reason why they won titles, he isn't someone like Maradona or Brian clough(although a manager) who brought success to small clubs. His successes still needed him to be on a good team. International success in world cup, he didn't appeared in one of it. The 94 edition. The 1998 edition where the team depended on him, he broke down in the final match. 2002 was more of a triple champions of Ronaldinho(on his way to the world's top player), Rivaldo(a top class forward in any era) effort than just his.

Ronaldo is a top class player. We won't forget him. He's certainly one of the best striker ever. But his past injuries are proven to be the thorn in the flesh to proclaim him the best. In his generation, Zidane is the best for me
Atnighthawk (AFC Telford United) 2 years ago
I personally have never understood 'completely' why people say Zidane is the best. Could he go past players with the ease of Ronaldo? No. Could he finish like Ronaldo? No. Did he have better ball control than Ronaldo? No. Was he faster than Ronaldo? No. Stronger? No. General better dribbling? No.

What Zidane could do was be the driving force, the orchestrator, but he always needed someone to do a lot of defensive work behind him as well and Makelele was this player for a long time. Zidane had a sublime ability to pick a pass, gracefully glide across the field and make things happen, in truth a wonderful player. But you could not ever say "Zinedine, World's best defence ahead of you, we need you to get through that and win us the game, ok". It wouldn't happen. That is the difference between these players. Ronaldo could pass amazingly, probably not as well as Zidane in truth, but you could give Ronaldo the ball and say "Go" and it may end up in the back of the net. He was almost a tactic all on his own. "Alright lads, were losing here so just give the ball to Ronaldo ok". Mourinho even said as much in an interview taken during the lead up to the 2010 world cup.

Now Ronaldo's injury in 1999 turned him from the best player I have ever seen into merely one of the best in the world. He never recovered from that injury at Inter. But, and people will argue with this, at Inter he was better than he was at Barca. Rather than just an incredible goalscoring machine he became what I can only describe as a complete player. Still to this day the youngest ever World Player of the Year, he should even have won the Ballon D'or at least once more, but lost by a single vote just because Matthias Sammer had a really good tournament at the European Championship. He was great in every league he played in.

When he played for Barca, they had not won the title for a few seasons. When he played for Inter Milan they had not won the Serie A title since the 80's and he joined in 1997! Yeah ok he joined the galacticos who had they not made the stupidest decision ever to sell Claude Makelele would have won even more, but by then Ronaldo had been injured at Inter and no offence to him wasn't half the player he was before. He favoured one foot never pushed off at crazy pace, still fast, but never explosive again, almost like he felt his knee would go all the time.

If he hadn't been injured and his game had kept on improving, bear in mind he was injured at 23! And basically out until he was basically 26. Would anyone else bar having a miracle season have won World Player of the Year for those seasons? I personally doubt it.

So anyway Zidane and Ronaldo are two totally different players. Zidane is great, don't get me wrong but the best player I have ever seen touch a football was Ronaldo between 1996 and 1999 and he was getting better! Its funny how these things are subjective, how long does it take to judge someone the best? Their whole career? What of those not finished? What criteria are you using? And so on. I don't do it on cups and league titles because they change the goalposts for those things all the time, I even had some people tell me winning the champions league is better than winning a world cup when comparing this stuff. Basically its all in the ability, the artistry of football. Messi is a little magician, Zidane was a Maestro, Ronaldo though was just a sheer force of nature. Then he got injured
I judge a player based on their whole career. You can't call a player an all time great unless he's consistently performed well during his career. Yes Ronaldo was an amazing player between 1996 - 1999 but how can you say he was the greatest player of his era if he could not keep playing at the highest level for more than a few years? Yes I understand he was plagued with injury and I considered him to be a top class player at his peak but he spent a large part of his career sidelined with injuries
Well for me I personally think the injury is the only reason he isn't the undisputed best player ever, from an attacking perspective anyway. I mean I could get into a Maldini vs Baresi vs Nesta vs someone attacking like Messi discussion here. But basically its all about how good you are at what you do and then all the little bits on top of that. So many players know exactly how good Ronaldo was and an inspiration to many. Over his whole career he was still great, which I guess is my point. Even getting as big as he was near the end he was still scoring freely and drifting past players although nothing like he did at Real and that was nothing like he did at Inter or Barca. The injury imo prevented him from being universally acknowledged as the best ever. Let me put this into perspective, how many people think Messi is the best player ever at this moment? I'd hazard a guess at quite a few. So lets say tomorrow Messi gets injured and never plays football ever again at 24 years old. Is he still the best player ever? He's certainly the best player you have ever seen if your in the group of people who think he's the best ever. But then some guy will come along and say "Nah, his career really only lasted seven years tops and he was only really truly amazing for about 3 of them". You'd be like.... "you don't know what your talking about" "did you ever see this guy play?!? ". So it is with Ronaldo, many people remember him as Injury prone from Real Madrid and AC Milan and ofc wc2002, where he was still great, but nothing like when I was watching him before the injury.

I think the best ever is always argued over for this reason, its quite subjective on what criteria you use to judge. I personally try to judge it from a footballing perspective of ability to do their job, vision, general football brain, ball skill and control, ability to step up in games when needed (showing mental fortitude) and so on plus consideration at the level they are playing at. Then if you do a like for like comparison you can see where other players compare. The problem I guess is what is a reasonable time period for that comparison, 1 game? 1 season? A couple of seasons? The whole career? . Also best I have ever seen and best ever could be considered two seperate things I suppose, which makes it cloudy.

On that note I was once told by a relative of mine the best player he ever saw was George Best, but the best player ever was Bobby Moore or Pele.... Obviously this relative is a Man Utd supporter and hadn't even considered anyone other than someone he watched every other week and picked Pele as an afterthought because its what people expect him to say
Nasatya (Manchester City) 2 years ago
Yes the one who can make team win are real champions and for me after watching all videos of ronaldo, marodona messi cr7.... Ronaldhino.... Beckham.... And everyone I think what marodona did to both club and country is almost impossible to repeat and is very hard to say that ny1 of above could have done that.... Napoli winning the cup from not being fav of tournement and so do da argentina.... And looking all his tricks part wise in youtube may make you all realaize that he deserves to be the player of the century!
IHadYouAll (Manchester United) 2 years ago
For me, first of all, quality of player is measured by his contribution to the team no matter what his position is and also how it can be entertaining for fans to watch his play (because players should play for fans and not to only to score more goals).

Andrei Kanchelskis (Flying Winger) is the most underrated football player that has ever played in my opinion.

He was "explosive, quirky, strong, skillful, dynamic and unpredictable - in short, a legend!" Most exciting player I have ever watched in my life!

Here he plays for Everton:

Here he plays for MU:

Someone in comments suggested that Andrei did this trick, "because a ranger's player at the time (Rod Wallace) was to small and he couldn't see him in the box!" (note this is all in 90s and this trick finished in a goal):

Scientists probably still can't theoretically prove the real reason behind this trick:

Nighthawk, replying to you.

Yes, you can actually compare Ronaldo and Zidane! Because the thread starter basically says the best player lived, I quote him - " Ronaldo is, in my opinion, and without trying to use any clichés, the best player to ever walk on earth".

So while I started off by saying that Ronaldo is one of the best ever striker to walk the earth, just on his generation of players alone, I rate Zinedine 'Zizou' Zidane the best player. Ronaldo's dribbling tricks executed are arguably the best I've seen from any footballers. The most effective and confusing multiple stepovers complete with the drop of shoulders at every steps(very different from CR7 as CR7 only does the stepovers, his body doesn't move(and rather straight), hence less effective.) ; the best elastico(some say flip flap) that's mind boggling (better that Dinho's flip flap which is just too fast. Its more flip and flap than elastico); arguably the best finisher in the business in his generation.

But then, there is the big problem. 23 to 26 only? After that he still succumbs to niggling injuries that keep him out for few weeks to few months every now and then. And when he's not injured any more, his weight balloon. The best player (Zizou) in his generation keeps himself fit, managed to get himself selected, and played key role in wc2006 at about the same age of Ronaldo. While at that age group, everyone recognised the fact that both Ronaldo and Zidane are past their best, but why is Ronaldo totally past it, while Zidane dragged France to final?

And here is where I agrees with Footyrulz. We need to judge the players with their whole career. The career of a footballer is already a short one. To judge Ronaldo based on 3 years is too short and too unfair to others whose careers has been as glittering while staying longer in the game. Ronaldinho also has his 3 years of supreme form and performances. Up till now there's still people that argues that Dinho is better than Messi based on that 3 years(when in fact the last of the third season his form waned, and he's on his way out, not to mention another brazilian weight balloon)! Zidane who has managed to stay at the top of his game for most part of his career, deserves to better Ronaldo and Dinho in terms of Best player in that era.

Since this thread is about Ronaldo, I shan't touch on Zidane too much to sing his praises.

Ronaldo is the most complete striker/forward in his time(when he's on the field), but with all the time out and doing nothing for years, I really can't see why he's better than Zidane in "Best player" stakes
Although injuries plagued most of his career and he didn't manage to play at the highest level for that many years, El Fenomeno was one of the best players of his generation. And in reply to the best player ever/ best player I've ever seen, I would rate him as one the best I've ever seen but not the best there ever was
Hey Juno, replying to you.

I appreciate your points. I think the debate is muddied a bit, if you were to actually say who is best player ever, its quite different from best player ever seen.

Ronaldo is the best player I have ever seen, I could not count Zidane even in the top three players that I have ever seen although no doubt he was a great player.

I just judge players on a whole range of things, provided they played at a high (equivalent) level. It doesn't neccessarily matter to me if they played at a high level for fifteen or twenty years as how good they are in ability (trained and natural) is largely unrelated to time played, as long as they have played for long enough. Take Ronaldinho, one of the best players I have seen for sure, longevity stakes not so high. But for many still the "best player ever" based on a reality of two seasons of brilliance. Ronaldo due to longevity and some issues surrounding fitness/weight after the injury then sure you could legitamately rule him out for best player ever if longevity is part of your essential criteria. Instead you just wonder what might have been had it not been for the injury.

Doesn't it tell you anything that based on two years of brilliance and three years of being very good a lot of people think Ronaldinho was/is better than Zidane. I'm not trying to spark an argument here, but they won't all be Barca fans that think that nor will they have never seen Zidane play. They most likely have seen Zidane play and thought like I did "Majestic, Clever, Skillful, sometimes brilliant but not heart-in-throat awe inspiring". So I guess it depends what type of person you are as well and what you expect from your football.

An example is that some people find Barcelona's current style of play boring and I have to say I'm one of them. I love it when it gets in and around the box with the short sharp accurate passing, the control, the skill, the movement. That's great, love that bit. But the other 90% of the time in possession when its just passing almost for the sake of it between defence and midfield with little to no movement, not even really probing for the right chance, just standing around playing keep ball.... Effective as it is.... That bores me senseless.

I like exciting football with flair, not without hard work and people not doing their jobs right of course. That's also how I like to play football, hard work, speed, detemination, flair, movement and I'm also an attacking player when I play (not bigging myself up, pretty sure a skillful 5 year old will run circles around me haha). That attitude is also going to influence my decision of favourite player, like your previous post on scholes. People in and around a similar position thought he was wonderful. Others just thought great player with great ability. I imagine someone more defensive minded is going to think Baresi or Beckenbauer or someone like that is the best player ever as first an foremost they are looking for certain attributes.

Anyhow not provoking an argument, just something to be considered
Oh so in conclusion, the reason I would consider Ronaldo the best ever is up until that injury, he had been exceptional for his whole professional career which would have been 16-23 and was only getting better, imo were if not for the injury as I said before there is no question in my mind that he would be considered best player of all time, but by the masses, not only by me

I feel he played for long enough and that also his comebacks even at nowhere near preivous ability showed how good he actually was
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
@footyrulz How was Ronaldo only "good" from 96-99?! Ronaldo was a beast from 96-06. Within those 10 years he won a world cup, uefa cup, 2 copa americas, 1 confederations cup and a bunch of other trophies for Barcelona, PSV, Real Madrid and Inter. With the type of injuries he had, most other players would just give up and not win anything. Ronaldo is one of the greatest players of all time, no doubt about it. 3x player of the year with a decade must mean something
Junpei (Manchester United) 2 years ago
@FootyRulz: you clearly don't know anything about this ronaldo. How can you say that he is only an amazing player between 1996 - 1999 and he could not keep playing at the highest level for more than a few years? Please google about him.
I google this (Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronaldo ):

1993: Cruzeiro
He amassed 12 goals in 14 appearances and led them to their first Copa do Brasil championship.

1994–1996: PSV Eindhoven
Ronaldo scored 30 league goals in his first season in Holland. His second season was marred by a knee injury which kept him out of most of the campaign, but he still averaged nearly a goal a game in the league, with 12 in his 13 appearances. With PSV, Ronaldo won the Dutch Cup in 1996 and he was Eredivisie top scorer in 1995.

1996–1997: Barcelona
During the 1996–97 season Ronaldo scored an incredible 47 goals in 49 games (in all competitions) for Barça, leading the Catalan side to UEFA Cup Winners' Cup triumph (where he capped the season with the winning goal in the cup final itself) and to Copa del Rey and Supercopa de España wins. He also won La Liga top scorer award in 1997 with 34 goals in 37 games. Until the 2008–09 season, Ronaldo remained the last player to score more than 30 goals in La Liga. At the age of 20, Ronaldo became the youngest player to win FIFA World Player of the Year in 1996. He also finished runner-up for the Ballon d'Or.

1997–2002: Inter Milan
He won FIFA World Player of the Year for the second time in 1997, and collected the Ballon d'Or the same year. The following year, after the FIFA World Cup, he finished second for FIFA player of the year, and third for European Footballer of the Year. At this point in his career, he was clearly and widely regarded as the best player in the world.
On 21 November 1999, during a Serie A match against Lecce, Ronaldo felt his knee buckle and was forced to limp off the pitch. Ronaldo came back for the 2002 World Cup, helping Brazil win their fifth World Cup title. Later in 2002, he won the World Player of the Year award for the third time, and transferred from Inter to Real Madrid. Ronaldo was given his most recognizable nickname, Il Fenomeno, by the Italian press while playing there. He was named the 20th top footballer of all time for Inter, according to Times Online, and only his injuries prevented a higher ranking. He played 99 games and scored 59 goals for Nerazzurri.

2002–2006: Real Madrid
Ronaldo scored 23 league goals in his first season and the La Liga Championship title for 2003. With Madrid, he also won an Intercontinental Cup in 2002 and Spanish Super Cup in 2003.
Madrid was on track to win the treble until Ronaldo was injured towards the end of the 2003–04 season; That season, he finished as the league's top scorer with 24 goals and was awarded the Pichichi Trophy,

2007–2008: AC Milan

2009–2011: Corinthians
Ronaldo trained with Flamengo during his recovery from knee surgery, and the club's board of directors said that the doors were open for him to join. In 2009, He helped Corinthians win the Campeonato Paulista with 10 goals in 14 games
In February 2010, Ronaldo signed a contract extension with Corinthians that would keep him with the club until the end of 2011, and said he would then retire
In February 2011, after Corinthians were eliminated from the 2011 Copa Libertadores by the Colombian team Deportes Tolima, Ronaldo announced his retirement from football
I never said he was a bad player after that. I just meant that he was at his best during those years. I didn't say he was only good during those years but I don't think I have seen him play better than he did during those years
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Ronaldo is one of the most talented players to ever grace a pitch that's for sure. Is he the best player ever, no I don't think so. Zidane has said he is the greatest player he ever played with, that he would do things in training that were just Sublime. Zidane is one of the most skillful players I have ever seen so coming from him that is some statement. It is hard to compare these players though as has been said many times before. Zidane and Ronaldo play in different positions and different roles so I won't compare the two. But I think it is safe to say they are probably considered by most people around the world as the two greatest players of their generation, even though there were a lot of good players at that time.

Who's the greatest ever will always be disputed, but I dig all the discussion about it, it is great to hear people opinions. I will just compare great strikers to Ronaldo, as players like Cruijff, Maradona, Di Stefano, Best, Garrincha, are different beasts. All attackers(Di Stefano could play anywhere, what a player) but not pure strikers like Ronaldo or der bomber for example. Then you have your midfielders, defenders and goalkeepers it is hard to know. Especially since you may be biased having actually witnessed Ronaldo's greatness. The people that have seen both Pele and Ronaldo I sense they feel that Pele is usually better. I didn't see Pele and wasn't really old enough to realize or appreciate Ronaldo's brilliance. Pele for me is more of a leader, someone you would have as captain of your club. Ronaldo is a great person but his personality is a bit more mild. Pele was better with his left foot, and both were equally good at taking players on and creating for themselves. Ronaldo probably had a bit of an edge but Pele was a nightmare to defend as well. Both are lethal finishers. As for Pele not playing in Europe he toured the world with Santos and they usually thrashed whoever they played. Both have amazing records in World Cups. I would give Pele a slight edge, but again very hard to know. When Pele and Garrincha played together for Brasil they never lost a match Puskas and Der Bomber were amazing strikers, so skilled Puskas and loved to score goals, Muller is as pure a striker as they come. But I don't think you could compare Muller to Ronaldo, and you probably could compare Puskas but again different players from very different time periods. The fact that Puskas was in the military makes his career even more impressive, and when Pele scored 1000 goals somebody asked him about it and he said I scored way more than 1000 goals something cheeky and funny though. Van Basten was capable of scoring goals even more special than Ronaldo, but he needed service. And possessed a very different ability.

Eusebio is who I would take if I was going to start a team of all time XI, he would be my number 9. The guy was an amazing talent, and he could take over games more than any other striker I have ever seen. His goal scoring tally with Benfica is stupid, and that game against Korea where he single handedly won the game for his country in the 66 World Cup shows his character.coming from 3-0 down and scoring four goals. I believe if it weren't for some shenanigans by the FA they probably would have beat England but what happened happened and will never know. Only played in one tournament and bagged 9 goals. He was undoubtedly the best player at that tournament, the same could be said of Ronaldo in the 98 tournament. But Rivaldo, a young Michael Owen and Dennis Bergkamp were other attacking standouts in that tournament as well as of course Zidane. There was Charlton, and Moore, and Beckenbauer, Uwe Seeler, Pele and Garrincha were there but didn't have good tournaments.

Eusebio is probably one of the greatest athletes to ever grace a pitch. For sheer pace I don't think I have ever seen anyone quicker, cept for maybe Joaquin in his prime. He may not have as much skill as Ronaldo or Pele, but he is more physical more direct and just as good if not a better goal scorer than both of em. He is better at set pieces and penalties than them, and more than anything he is a leader of men. His character is one of famous good will and sportsmanship but he is as competitive as they come. The game of tears a great illustration of that. Di Stefano was his idol and favorite player if that tells you anything about his footballing sense Scoring 9 goals in a single World Cup is very impressive and if he had played in more than one I think he would have way more goals than Ronaldo.

These are only strikers we are talking. Again when you get into Di Stefano, Maradona, Cruijff, Best, Garrincha, Zico, King Kenny, Beckenbauer, Maldini, Baresi, Yashin, Charlton, Zidane, Cantona, Le Tissier, Didi, Socrates, Rivellino, Ronaldinho, Baggio, Laudrup, it's a different cup of tea.

Really well written article though my friend. El Fenomeno is certainly leagues better than the other Ronaldo
Good points, I'm not going to chime in with one of my usual long posts and just say its good to see appreciation of players of different generations. I think in some respects the competition those players had then was less than it is now due to the rise in athleticism and fitness and probably general evolution of the game, but then if those players had to undergotoday's training regime I'm sure they would all be better than they were anyway.

Ironically I was going to mention Le Tissier in my post, incredibly underrated and never used really just because he didn't play for a "top club", but made most of those top club players look average. It shows what is wrong with today's game
FaisalP (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I will never forget him!
Rubin (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
First of all, Ronaldo has won only 1 World Cup, not 2. And no, he's not forgotten. He's the reason I'm an Inter fan. Why are there so many Messi vs [C.] Ronaldo videos and why do they have so many views and why do Brazilian Ronaldo videos have so few views? That's only because we live in different times. Kids nowadays spend a lot of time on the internet, that's why. That's also the reason Justin Bieber songs have many more views than old classics. Anyway, that doesn't mean no one remembers the original Ronaldo.
Now, is he the best player to ever walk on earth? He was an amazing player and he is a football legend, but no he's not the best. Why? Because in my opinion Messi is the best player I've watched play. I'm not deciding that by comparing how many goals they've scored or how many trophies they've won, of course those contribute to their successes, but it's just that when I watch Messi play I'm much more impressed and amazed by his skill than I used to be when I watched Ronaldo at his best. That's the only thing that matters. Who amazes you the most when you watch them during a match?
I won't try to compare Ronaldo and Messi with the likes of Di Stefano, Puskas, Best or Pele, because I've not watched them play.
In my world, Messi is number 1 and Ronaldo 2nd
He won 2. 94 and 2002. 94 as an unused sub
Rubin (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
You're right. Forgot about the 94 one
Jepc92003 (Barcelona) 2 years ago
That doesn't count, just as Pele can't really say he made Brasil won 3 wold cups because he made a goal in a WC he was a sub, unless he did it by himself, Messi is an amazing player and if he wins d WC in Brasil all this arguments would come 2 an end finally 4 gud
He got the medal. Its a fact. Count or not it doesn't matter. What's now is that he has 2 to show for while greats like Zico or Cruyff have none. So while you may want to discount that victory as he showed no effort in 94 finals, getting into Brazil squad for any competition isn't easy by any means. He earned the rights to sit on the air plane. Whether by performance or by talent
Cheesenip (Chelsea) 2 years ago
See.... That's where I'm stuck about Messi. Don't get me wrong, his performance is unbelievable but its the results that matter. Until Messi can win the world cup, I won't consider him to be on the same level as the legends likes of Pele Ronaldo etc etc.

Messi=Lebron James right now. Unarguably the best, yet can't show the results to support that he's the best
Junpei (Manchester United) 2 years ago
When Ronaldo win World Cup 2002, Brazil had Marcos, Lúcio, Edmílson, Roque Júnior, Cafu (see), Gilberto Silva, Kléberson, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Juninho Paulista, Denílson. In 2002, I think people would not considered Ronaldo could contribute more due to his injury. And in Brazil team, none is on his TOP Performance (based on individual achievement). But Ronaldo can play his best, being the TOP Scorer and win world CUP.

In messi era, Argentina has Sergio Romero, Martín Demichelis, Pablo Zabaleta, Nicolás Burdisso, Javier Mascherano, Nicolás Gaitán, Javier Pastore, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Gonzalo Higuaín, Lionel Messi (Captain), Sergio Agüero, Angel di Maria. I personally think Argentina has better team than Ronaldo's era, Messi is in Better form than Ronaldo, Messi is injured free. By winning any World Cup, all questions and doubtness (related to Barcelona, xavi and iniesta) will be answered
I think Argentina's backline are beyond horrible. The backline are ridiculously slow at top class level its becoming a deadly Achilles
Ruskin (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Pele, Eusabio, Best, Law, ronaldo 1 and 2, Di Stefano, Puskas, Rooney, Gerald, Zidane, to me and still is Pele V Eusaboi. Love them all
AKeegs19 (Newcastle United) 2 years ago
The fans who matter will never forget!
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 2 years ago
Ronaldo was definitely the Best Striker of his generation, and Zidane the best playmaker with a strong influence on the teams he played for.

Back in the the day when "Il Fenomeno" was playing for Barcelona and then Inter Milan I was amazed by his ability to dribble pass his opponents with such strength, speed, agility and technique. His timed runs into space were quality. The number one reason Ronaldo will always be my favorite player is because of some of the solo-run goals he scored, and his trademark finishes; dribbling the goalkeeper. He was just unstoppable! Very few players like Messi, Ronaldinho, Henry, Kun Aguero have showed such ability to dribble past 3-4 opponents with composure while staying on their feet.

Plus, everybody knows about Ronaldo`s chronic knee injury which hampered his career, but did not prevent him from coming back to his best, managing to win the World Cup 2002, to still perform at top level with Real Madrid and win the Ballon D`or trophy for the 2nd time.

Ronaldo was a Beast!
Top 10 goals. Enjoy!

My personal favorite of course. Against SS.Lazio UEFA Cup Final

He wasn't back to his best at WC 2002, its very obvious if you actually watch his movement and look for that explosiveness during that tournament, but he was still great at movement and finishing. Like the rest of the post though, shame no Inter goals in that 1st vid.

Anyhow Links:
Fan made 41 part movie. This is part 1.
Barca 7-11, Inter 11-18 (inc WC98).

Also this is quite a classy tribute (watch it in 480).

Zlatan94310 (PSG) 2 years ago
I agree with you about his level in 2002 compared to 1997 when he was at his peak. Since that horrible knee injury against SS. Lazio (2. 56 in your 1st video) he kinda struggled to get back to top fitness and his style of play slightly changed into a more opportunistic role up front. Which still allowed him to score many goals anyways. I was less enthusiastic watching him play though, but very glad to see him winning titles again and remaining a threat to the opposition. I really loved that mix of explosiveness, unpredictability and spark back in the day. Ronaldo was a unique player, during his spell at Barca and the early seasons at Inter, he was a destroyer. He inspired me a lot. Then, Thanks God another Ronaldinho arrived to the European scene in 2001, Ronaldinho Gaucho
Silvestre (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I pretty much agree with everything you guys have mentioned here. The best ever bla bla thing can be viewed from multiple perspectives, so I won't bother discussing that. The only thing that disturbs me is the fact that this post was based on a non-fact which is "the possibility that most people have forgotten about the Brazilian-born Ronaldo. ". Oh, and adding a picture of you searching for images on google with the query "ronaldo" does not make any point except for the fact that CR is currently way more popular than a retired legendary footballer. The post in details is fine but as a whole, it's rubbish. Anyone who has ever watched him playing will never forget this awesome footballer. Period
Yashioman (Liverpool) 2 years ago
The dream 4-3-3 front striking line-up in the time of Ronaldo (for me) would have been Henry left wing, Van Basten Centre Forward and Ronaldo as Another Centre Forward. Anyone who knows knows how outside of this realm he was, regardless of physical injuries (which should never be a factor included to determine a players success, it is out of one's control) should just live with the grand memories and recognition of true football. Don't try educating the idiots. Live and let die. Those who do not naturally have a desire to learn of the past legends will carry on being idiots, in football terms and in life in general. They say the truth will set you free, but actually is quite contrary. Those who recognize truths are enslaved by it. And that, to me, is the greatest gift one can receive. To be enslaved by knowing beyond. Ronaldo was beyond
[account-removed] 2 years ago
NO BODY FORGET RONALDO, NO BODY
Driftejoga (Manchester City) 2 years ago
Ronaldo " Phenomenon " is the best player ever lived! Who ever says other wise. Does not know s**t! About futebol!
Okay, if there's 1 billion ppl who watched football, and only 1 million ppl thinks Ronaldo Luis is the best player ever lived, that makes 999 millions of people idiots?

Nitro (Barcelona) 2 years ago
He is truely amongst the legends of football and always will be. I don't think legends should be compared, thanks for a great read...
N3razzurri (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
Ronaldo will always be to me, 'el fenomeno' and the best player, in all of football history. Some people just don't realize how frightenly good this guy was, even at 40% (and I'm not exaggerating) of his true ability he was considered the best player amongst his generation
Cheesenip (Chelsea) 2 years ago
"Ronaldo became the highest goalscorer in the history of the World Cup with his fifteenth goal, surpassing Gerd Müller's previous record of 14. He is also the only player to have won the World Cup Golden Ball and Golden Shoe in separate tournaments. ".... Nuff said

Until Messi or Cristiano actually wins the world cup, I wouldn't even consider putting them on the same planet as Ronaldo or even Zidane

For me, Ronaldo aka el fenomeno will always be my favorite and BEST player but of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion

Who else can pull off that little triangle patch haircut? LOL

Mongol99 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Actually the hair cut was my country's traditional hair cut about 800 years ago  
Luxinlazors (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
I'm just glad to say that I've had the privilege to watch him play in his final World Cup in 2002, and watch him score that phenomenal brace. What a legend. Top that Cristiano ;D

Kick4Life - changing lives through football