Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Liverpool In Crisis? Not Where I’m Looking!
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
I don’t think I’ll ever understand the logic of the fickle football fan and the way their discontent can have such a negative effect on a football club that leaves the media feasting on it for weeks. It borders on the ridiculous and I often wonder what the real reason that fuels it.

If we take Arsenal as an initial case point here - I can see why some of their supporters are slightly disillusioned. Here is a fan base that has been palmed off with excuses after excuses for the club’s failure to be competitive in challenging for honours and they happen to pay the biggest prices in the country, even before the 6% increase they added last summer. A club the size of the Gunners need to be winning cups, not settling for second best and being satisfied with a top four finish. Someone in North London has got the balance all wrong, therefore I can understand some of the reasons for discontent; however I struggle, and fail, to see why some sections of the Liverpool crowd are starting to question Kenny Dalglish and his performance as the Reds manager.

It has been a strange season at Liverpool, no question about it, but I do feel that some of my fellow supporters are losing site of the reality of it all. I know when you spend the kind of money that we did in the last 15 months you would expect to see a team comfortably in the top four, but when has that ever really been the case? Manchester City are three years down the line with their new owners and let’s be honest this is the first year they have looked like a top side and they have spent nearly three times as much as us. It appears that some are not prepared to give Kenny that amount of time and want everything now.

I don’t understand what the catalyst is behind the negativity, but I ask the question as to whether it is really that bad? What I find staggering is that we have already won a trophy this season (something Arsenal fans and most others would die for at the minute) and although some of the half-empty brigade will question our performance against Cardiff in winning it, they are seemingly turning a blind-eye to the calibre of teams we beat en-route to get there in the first place. In the FA Cup we find ourselves back at Wembley once again with what some would say an easier draw and passage to the final and I genuinely believe that most supporters would have taken the prospects of being in two domestic finals at the start of the season, even if it meant we missed out on the Champions League. Why aren’t some satisfied with that as a foundation to build on next season?

I have read a lot of Liverpool forums with supporters pointing to the league form as the source of disappointment. I agree it has been hugely frustrating at times and Kenny has struggled where Rafa did before him in being able to beat the lesser sides, especially at home, but how much has that been down to bad luck and misfortune, oppose to bad management. We have stood toe to toe with the current top four teams in the country and anyone who watched the Arsenal and Tottenham games will struggle to understand how we didn’t get maximum points in those games. We just didn’t take the chances that were presented, largely down to our misfiring strike force that have still failed to gel. I often wonder where this team would be had Fernando Torres been spearheading our attack.

This is my point about Liverpool is that there is such a fine line at Anfield at the moment that is perhaps only a decent striker away from remedying our shortfall in the league. To question Kenny’s management is absolutely ridiculous, especially as he inherited a squad that under Benitez was in decline and heavily reliant on simply Gerrard and Torres. Dalglish had to bring in a selection of players to boost the squad and while some haven’t hit the ground running, we would be wrong to suggest that some haven’t been making inroads at the club. Liverpool fans should be excited and optimistic for the future in knowing that we are not that far away from being where we belong to be at the top end of the table. A Carling Cup victory didn’t fall on our lap and neither will the FA Cup if we go on and lift that in May – either way any club that finishes the season with some silverware has to be seen as a successful one.

It is not the title I know, but it certainly represents the ideal foundation that we can now build upon ahead of next season. Kenny has done a fabulous job in the little over 12 months that he has been at the helm, considering the changes to the personnel and obstacles we have faced and the sooner some wake up to that fact the better. It is time to unite as a football club and watch Kenny steer the club to next level in the coming season.

Blog by James Way

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
KushalYNWA (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Brilliant.... !    Money cannot buy permanent success.... !
PC2572 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Thank you.... Finally someone talking sense...
Porteous (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Great stuff!
Obskurum (Borussia Dortmund) 2 years ago
Very good article
BearWithFish (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Liverpool aren't in crisis. But they should be doing better with the money that came in. Manchester city is a different case they weren't a top 4 side before the hundreds of millions came flooding in while Liverpool are. And I'm still confused on why you got rid of meireles when he started to play well under Dalglish after a poor start with hodgson
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Meireles + Torres = Almost covered the cost of everyone we brought in
PoliceAtaque (Liverpool) 2 years ago
We also unloaded a lot of dead weight, like Konchesky, Jovanovic, Kyrgiakos, Babel, N'Gog, and Poulsen. I don't have numbers on all of these transfers but I'm willing to bet a lot of those fees helped cover a significant portion of the remaining cost after Meireles and Torres
Rockerr (Liverpool) 2 years ago
No offence but I don't understand this. Just because we got our money from player sales doesn't mean we can waste it. It is not like free money or something, we definitely should have spent it wisely
Suarez - Ballon d'Or nominee, meaning he's top 20 or 30 in the entire world. Copa America Winner, World cup semi finalist.

Coates, voted best young player in Copa America.

Enrique, a superb defender and attacking wing back.

Bellamy, a revelation and a free transfer.

Downing, Carroll, Henderson: England youth or full internationals, young, hungry and promising.

Adam: Ok, I submit that Adam was picked for his set pieces alone. It hasn't worked
LesRouges (Liverpool) 2 years ago
100milllions 500 millions> does it make any difference when it comes to time the players needs to adapt to a new system a new team and sometimes a new country?
We are building a team, yes we should have done better, but really we are on track. Our phase of play are way better now, we are creating heaps, have one of the best defence, and all we need is to finish our chances.
We do need a couple oh more players to add t the squad as we are abit thin when it comes to playing 3 games a week, but crisis.... Never, by a mile
Kon91 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Overall I think Liverpool fans should rightfully be disappointed, I have several LFC-supporting friends that were convinced they would be title challengers or at least comfortable top 4 contenders. Now they are 12 points behind 4th placed spurs, and are left with an underperforming and frankly average squad full of overpaid dross (apart from a few quality players).

If I were a liverpool fan I would be very concerned because most of the senior players (Carragher, Gerrard, Maxi, Kuyt, bellamy) are on the wrong side of 30, and some of the latest signings (including Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam) have quite simply not been good enough. To reinforce the side would require enormous investment, and that in itself would only worsen Liverpool's seemingly unsustainable financial situation
KingLFC (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Carragher isn't a starter anymore. Skrtel and Agger are our starters (Agger injured for a few weeks right now) and both of them are f*****g amazing. Maxi and Kuyt aren't starters either. Bellamy was a free transfer. He wasn't brought in for the long term. Gerrard is probably the only player worth mentioning that is getting older, but its not like we're going to sell him. Our squad is not like Chelsea
A month ago, Arsenal were "In Crisis" according to the media and the fans. There was a huge movement to get Wenger out. It's a total joke.

"and that in itself would only worsen Liverpool's seemingly unsustainable financial situation"

Liverpools financial situation is perfectly stable? No debt, home grown talent. I reckon you might not know what you are talking about, to be honest
Addisse (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Sensible analysis
Jashank (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Great article. Partly, the condemnation of liverpool has been by rival supporters as well. We have played fantastic this season and have created chances after chances with great passing and amazing movement on and off the ball. If we finished our chaces than we would be at the top of the table rather than the manchester clubs.

People are hating liverpool and putting down their carling cup win because they are jealous and there are very few who are congratulating them. The media, too, are downplaying the trophy and deeming it meaningless. A lot of supporters are getting carried away with the scrutiny that the tv pundits and supporters of other clubs throw towards liverpool rather than standing up and backing the club.

The next topic is signings. From what I have seen, our signings have made very good progress and contributions to the team and the overall performance. NO team is made overnight and it takes a long time for it to gel. That is why even a mediocre manchester united team can do wonders throughout the season because the know each other and have tremendous belief. For me, Henderson, downing and Carroll (flashes) have shown what they can do and if the finishing was better, all these players would have had goals and assits to their names. We should take a lot of pride from our performances and we know exactly what area to improve on come next season
Martinus (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Very like this....
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Liverpool fans keep saying "Look, we won convincingly things are going to turn around" only to suffer a bad defeat the next week. Yes, I get it, you guys are happy to take the silverware you won, but surely you must be kidding yourselves if you are satisfied with the way things have gone for pool this season.

Even with all that happened last season, Liverpool must have been expecting to do better in the league. With all the money you spent, and the fact that you have no european football to focus on, you should at least be challenging for fourth place.

I think fans of Liverpool should be looking at the signings made. With all the money you spent, how many of your signings have actually made a big impact on the team? Minus Suarez, I can't think of many signings you made that have helped turn you guys around. Not to say they've all been terrible. But in the last couple years we (United) signed Hernandez for 6m and Young for 15m, Liverpool have signed Carroll for 35m and Downing for 20m. Which players have been more successful thus far?

It's not a crisis but definitely something needs to be done

Kon91 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Gervinho, mertesacker, oxlade chamberlain, santos and arteta (45 mil or so), carroll henderson and downing (75 mil or so) lolololol
Liverpool31 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
You can cram your lolololol up your ass.
Gervinho hasn't done diddly squat and Santos might as well play left mid.
Sure I'll admit Dalglish didn't make the smartest use of the money available in buying players but you can't be too proud of the two I mentioned above either
@liverpool31 arsenal signings havent been all that great but there still alot better than the ones you pulled in and overall cheaper

Gervinho > downing
Chamberlain > henderson
Arteta > adams
Liverpool101 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Gervinho is not only not a winger but he is worst than downing so f@ck off.... Arteta wish he had the passes and vision that adam has ill agrre about cham>hendo but the others.... Go back to manu scum
Soundslikefail (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Gervinho is worse than Downing? Gervinho was the star winger at Lille over the last two years (albeit less popular than the mildly overrated Hazard), and has out scored and out assisted Downing in all competitions this year, despite going away to the African Cup of Nations.
Gervinho is a far better winger than Downing
Skrtel has scored more goals that Gervinho.    Case closed.
What does Gervinho have to do with anything? Lol Neither Gervinho or Downing are even close the calibre Liverpool or Arsenal needs

I'll definitely give Arteta and Chamberlain to guys though
@liverpool101
Gervinho - age 24, cost 10. 5m, 5 goals 7 assists.
Downing - age 27, cost 20m, 2 goals 1 assist.
@ant
Vermalen has scored more goals than skrtel. Case closed
Rooney has more goals than all your recent signings combined
Zuth (Liverpool) 2 years ago
@Ant: your post makes me wish there was a "like" button

@bwf: you're further proving the point with the Verm/Skrtel comment. Plus, I liked Rooney better when he had no hair
Otownballer (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Any mention of Gervinho just muddies the waters. He can't score at all but he does seem to create confusion in the defenses he faces, and that's worth something. The original point was that Arsenal seem to have added better players this season than Liverpool, and I think that's a fair conclusion. I would rather continue to qualify for the Champions League, continue to attract players on that basis, and continue to at least be a mathematical possibility for the title than win the Carling Cup and risk becoming the new Aston Villa. With respect
Liverpool786 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
The only reason arsenal are doing so well is because of RVP. Without him you guys would be no way near the top 4. Il agree our signings apart from suarez havent been what we would have expected from them. But kenny is the right man to guide them and build a great future for them at LFC nobody knows the better than kenny. He has the same passion for club as the fans, does...
Davian (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Liverpool have fallen soooo far smh!How did this become a liverpool vs arsenal forum lol....
The critics were predicting arsenal were gonna' fall out of the top 4 09/10 and liverpool fell out....
08/09 liverpool came second with 86 points
09/10 liverpool came seventh with 63 points....
Liverpool fans stop talking about arsenal, arsenal have the better manager and team
Illninoese (Liverpool) 2 years ago
This literally took everything I just said a mere 3 hours ago to a couple of fellow Liverpool fans who were questioning Kenny. Bravo James Way for nailing it right on the f*****g head! We can win the title AND get Champions League next season. I don't know what all the fuss is about. No patience in football anymore
"Liverpool fans should be excited and optimistic for the future in knowing that we are not that far away from being where we belong to be at the top end of the table. A Carling Cup victory didn’t fall on our lap and neither will the FA Cup if we go on and lift that in May – either way any club that finishes the season with some silverware has to be seen as a successful one. "

The only ones that aren't excited are the plastic fans that started supporting in the couple of years, and the ones shouting the loudest (fans and rivals) are the ones that have no idea Dalglish was the manager previously, and won everything multiple times.

We're in excellent hands and I'm confident for the future
Polykhor (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Liverpool are close to becoming less of a cup team than they already are. Even though gerrard is knackered he's your best player, followed by suarez who misses too many chances

You've done well to win the carling cup, as it means you've gotten yourself into the europa, but is that really what liverpool's standards are now? To be honest, the only way you guys are going to get a good transfer offer for any of your players it's going to be skrtl or agger.

As for regards to bringing players in, who can you get, that teams who have qualified for the champions league aren't already trying to get? You're reputation by itself is no longer enough, as AOC preffering arsenal rather than liverpool shows.

Winning cups is good and all but if you don't up your mediocrity in the league all that will happen is that your overpriced players will leave at a loss, and you'll have a very hard time bringing in any class players should they not get plucked up by any other club first, and before you know it liverpool will not be in europe, or even being able to win a cup for a while due to the squad being shitter than it already is
Martinus (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Still better than arsenal, .... Got nothing this year!
"Winning cups is good"

Yes, totally agree.

"if you don't up your mediocrity in the league all that will happen is that your overpriced players will leave at a loss"

No, totally disagree.

"before you know it liverpool will not be in europe, or even being able to win a cup for a while"

Slightly rich coming from an Arsenal fan? Without RVP you guys would be in the bottom half of the table, and are currently trophyless for how long now? It's not like you lot are looking like title contenders in any way
Come off it, you guys would kill to be in our position rather than to be paying over the odds to get your hands on the carling cup

And so what if we would be this or that without rvp? The fact is we are not witthout him, whereas you guys have been shitter than usual without an inform torres and a crocked gerrard. If you keep things the way they are going watching you guys in europa will be entertaining to everyone who isn't a liverpool fan
Lolol oh man I love when Arsenal supporters gloat about how they think we want to switch spots with them. Arsene plays for fourth in the EPL and nothing else, anything else is an unneeded and unnecessary bonus.

He should be sacked, IMO
AW has brought trophies, sustainability and consistency to arsenal.

You'd have to go back to gerard houllier to even try and compare to that. Fair enough on Benitez winning the champions league and the FA cup, but that was a long time a go and you can't deny it's been downhill from there
Jashank (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Yes it has been downhill for liverpool. I love arsenal and their setup and totally admire arsene. I think he is one of the best managers in the world.

But what you guys need to realize that.... We were almost at the brink of administration, flirting with relegation (even though we wudnt have been relegated) under hogdson.... And right now under kenny.... We are carling cup winners and into the europa league to say the least. This is without adding the way we are playing and the excitement of our young guns.... So I think that is progress for sure and il say this again.... NO ONE becomes a champion overnight.... So patience my friend. As an arsenal supporter, you must have a lot of patience so just sit back relax and let kenny show epl how s**t is done LOLL
Polykhor, I could summarise your post like this

"aw has brought trophies.... But that was a long time a go and you can't deny it's been downhill from there"

Take the blinkers off your own eyes.

All I'm saying is.... A club like Arsenal should be challenging for much, much more
Also you need to stop clinging on to that arsenal game you lost, you all seem to forget that you beat us the first time round when we were injury hit and down to 10 men, and it still took an offside goal

Arsenal have several games that they dominate but don't go onto win. So cringeworthy when you bang on about how many times you hit the woodwork too, like you're the only ones!
Madoxen (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Awesome! Rome was not build overnight!

Who care how we beat Cardiff, it's a final and we won it! A Cup for the season after 6 years.
If we beat Everton/Sunderland, we are going to Wembley again for the 2nd time in 3 months. How many team get to visit Wembley twice? If we do lift FA Cup, we make it a double for the season! If this was not count as achievement or success? Then what is it?

As for our signings, we weigh them too much by their 'price tag' which make us feel so frustrated. Lets get over it. Spearing and Downing are doing well. A very good example is Lucas, how many dare to admit we think he simply can't make it in the past (I am one of them, I hate to see him play). But it seem like our team need him now. I am sure he will be 1 of the 1st 11 if not for injury. How long does he take to fit into the team and be a worthy 11?

As a LFC fan, let us be patience! Liverpool! YNWA!
Sonsie2810 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
LFC fan here. I think the author is watching a different team. LFC keeps playing with long useless crosses to Carroll just like mediorce mid-table teams do since they can't pass the ball through the midfield. LFC struggled so many times to create chances in a game, with most of the time resorting to long range shots and crosses into the box. Suarez has skills but can't finish on a consistent basis. Not to mention that he needs to control his temper. Adam, Henderson, Downing, Enrique are all mediorce but expensive signings. Our midfielders with the exception of Gerrard (and possibly Spearing/Shelvey who still have time to learn) can't pass the ball intelligently, have poor movement and can't dribble (with the exception of Downing). I am not advocating spending millions like ManCity to gather an expensive squad in order to compete. I am a fan of recruiting players from the academy and Dalglish is pushing for it but not enough. Suarez/Carroll have no understanding between them whatsoever. Maybe their style of play is so different that they never will develop any understanding. But this the coach's responsibility. When I hear Dalglish or other players make statements about the LFC style of play and how good it is, I feel despair. This is a mediocre team with no future and no one realizes it. Even after collapsing against an even more mediocre QPR today
Rubin (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
Ok Liverpool fan from greece, how many Liverpool games have you really watched this season? Because I don't see Liverpool struggling to create chances and resorting to long range shots and crosses into the box. The only part they're struggling with is finishing their chances. How can you consider Enrique a mediocre and expensive signing? He's one of the best left backs in the league. If you don't believe in the future of a team, which has lifted a trophy already this season, then you're not a real fan
"I think the author is watching a different team. LFC keeps playing with long useless crosses to Carroll just like mediorce mid-table teams do since they can't pass the ball through the midfield. "

So you'll ignore the beautiful give and go football, one touch layoffs and awesome goals we've been scoring. You'll ignore that (today the exception) we have pretty much the best defence in the entire league. You'd rather fantasize that we're lumping the ball up to Carroll every minute of every game. Carroll barely played today.

As Rubin said, if you consider Enrique an expensive failure then you really must be a rival fan trolling here for your own fun, because you are making very little sense

Kick4Life - changing lives through football