Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
It’s All Gone Quiet At Arsenal
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
They say a week is a long time in football, but a month has proved an absolute eternity at the Emirates as Arsenal fans have come out of the non-existent crisis of their own making. The dissenters have gone into hiding, left to reflect that Arsene Wenger was perhaps right after all.

I have watched from afar as Arsenal fans have torn shreds off Arsene Wenger as another season without a trophy has left sections of support (fuelled largely by the negative media) intent to spark a revolution and ditch the most successful manager their football club has ever seen.

Spending millions was the solution to all the problems, as Wenger’s faith in young players fell on deaf ears. Arsene’s feeling is that by going out and buying players would stunt the progress of his youngsters and you have to wonder if Jack Wilshere’s progress would have been so rapid had Wenger not been so persistent with his ideology. Of course supporters turn a blind eye to such matters as they continually fail to see the bigger picture and you only have to look at Arsenal’s performance on deadline day as proof that spending brings with it no guarantees, given Mikel Arteta has proved the only success of Wenger’s deadline day splurge.

You got to feel for Arsene Wenger and I bet privately he would concede that he was forced into the transfer market, in light of the hiding at Old Trafford. Under pressure and under loved by the Arsenal support, Wenger swallowed his own principles and spent a chunk of money on a load of new faces to appease the fans whom appeared on deadline day were buoyant at the perceived show of ambition at the football club. I would like to ask those same supporters now as to whether those new additions were worth the outlay and whether in hindsight they have made any difference to Arsenal’s recent rise in form that puts them within touching distance of the top four. The fact remains that it hasn’t and Wenger’s call for patience back in August should have been accepted by supporters, opposed to the mutiny that was created. The bottom line is that Wenger has proved them all wrong; although having to put a dent in the club’s bank balance in the process.

I suppose we can all look at Arsenal’s plight as a lesson for all football clubs that a little faith can go a long way. With the greatest respect to all the dissenters, Arsene Wenger is the best manager you have, or ever will have, and if you don’t back him you should get prepared for a slippery slope. The Frenchman has performed miracles at the football club, despite continually having to rebuild after top players have moved on. To put in some sort of perspective Manchester City have accumulated a loss of nearly £200m to achieve something Wenger has been doing for next to nothing in the past few years. Hopefully Arsene has silenced them once and for all and at the same time taught us that the need to bring in new players to solve a problem is not always the answer.

Blog by Jay Simmons

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
GeoffyD (DC United) 2 years ago
I think it's a mixed bag with the new players. I will say that I am a total believer in Wenger and would never have called for his head. Everyone gets embarrassed sometimes.
Regardless, the gaping hole left by Cesc and douchebag Mcgee had to be addressed.

I think Mertesacker is obviously having to adjust to a new system and speed of game, but I'm a little disappointed that he looks so lost sometimes. Gervinho is skilled but perhaps not world-class, also he needs to cut his hair because his forehead is really freakin me out. The jury is still out on Santos. I've always liked Arteta, but I'm not sure if I'd call him a bona-fide success story yet.

Personally, I'd really like to see more of Chamberlain and the two players Wenger brought in from Asia
14Hesus (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Wenger is a fantastic manager. His philosophy is a breath of fresh air to the sport. Give him the resources and he will deliver
Totaldribble 2 years ago
He has the resources, sure I heard that Arsenal are the most profitable club in the world!  He refuses to spend big
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 2 years ago
It wouldn't be the 'most profitable' club in the world is he spends big! You can't have both
Threkstari (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Totaldribble.... AFC are the most profitable club in the world.... Yes AFC the FIRM.... How much money of this specific business is allocated for transfer purposes is up to the board not AW
Totaldribble 2 years ago
I'm sure the chairman has offered him funds and its up to him to spend in his allocated budget. Obviously, it attributes to them being the most profitable club, I was saying that point to prove they have the money to spend
Threkstari (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Totaldribble.... And thts where you're wrong.... Iunno if you realized but the emirates stadium was not smth we got in a kinder surprise choco bundle and the boards #1 priority is to pay back the debt
Kon91 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Totaldribble- Arsene may have been allocated a hefty transfer warchest, but the problem with buying big name signings is often they have enormous wage demands which Arsenal cannot afford. That is why Arsenal couldn't afford to bring in someone like Sneijder, Tevez, or even Kaka on loan. Wenger also bid about 30m for both Hazard and Gotze, but Lille and Dortmund both rejected. Wenger was prepared to look into signing Gourcuff but he was injured during the summer so that deal fell through aswell. In the end, he didn't spend that much on players but it is better to save them for a rainy day rather than spend irresponsibly
Thebeautifulgam (Liverpool) 2 years ago
This post is completely wrong! In response to the recent crisis at Arsenal, the fans called for older, experienced players rather have Wenger rely on his system of putting all faith in young, inexperienced players (only to see them leave for greener pastures). Wenger finally did what the fans wanted and brought some experience to the team and.... Now they are top four contenders again! Arteta, Mertsacker, Gervinho, was exactly what Arsenal needed - not blind faith in unproven, young players. Because Wenger finally compromised his principles and brought in experience, they are looking better defensively, have more confidence, and are again succesful - This didn't happen because he stuck to his system of relying on unproven youngsters. Rather, it happened because Arsenal now have a variety of new, experienced starters! Thus, this post is totally wrong
PaoloG (Sevilla) 2 years ago
I follow you, save for a couple of points:
1) Gervinho wasn't brought in as a response to the Old Trafford hiding; he was acquired during the off-season. However, he _has_ stepped up his game lately, which has certainly helped turn things around for the Gunners.
2) True, Arteta has proven to be a quality acquisition. Mertesacker, not so much to date, IMO.
3) I think his youngsters, particularly Aaron Ramsey, are starting to come into their own, thus giving at least some credence to his philosophy of developing young talent.
Davian (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I do not agree with his article at all, and I don't understand why is everyone ripping on pert, he is a good centre half he gives us an immense prescence around the back with his height and arial skills. Stop hating on the guy!
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
He plays like he's made of wood. Too many mistakes for a man with 80+ caps for Germany. A defender who makes 1 goal conceding mistake every game is not world class, and that's what people were expecting, a proper world class center half
GunsRus (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Would love to see you name all of his mistakes. Like Davian I can't understand why everyone is on his case, the guy is a yard slow, no doubt about that but to date he's not had a calamity of a performance, apart of course from the obvious moment he was guilty of at Norwich. That aside I think he's been good value, he's calm on the ball, doesn't feed it straight back to the opposition or put it himself in the back of the net (yet) as Djourou and Kolciesky did on numerous occasions last year. He's played in nearly every game give him some credit for contributing to the improving performance of the team, bringing us to the current position we're at on the table
Hill (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Agreed with GunsRus, and aside from the mistake he had a good game against Norwich as well! I'm a fan of Per and I have to say that all the signings, except for Park, have been great. Benyaoun hasn't played much, but when he gets on the pitch he plays his heart out. He'll get more minutes and I can see him becoming a fan favorite at Arsenal. Hell, I liked him at Chelsea, I love him at Arsenal!
Well I'm glad you're backing your boys, but saying things like "aside from that one mistake he was great" is covering up the major factors a bit. Kind of like saying apart from his nose the Elephant man is very handsome!

In top flight football, those single massive errors are the ones that cost you in the end, and lacking a yard of pace is a major issue unless you are otherwise completely error free.

Even though I'm sure he'll come good, he's made a lot more than just 1 mistake (game vs Blackburn comes to mind).

The EA Player Performance Index which looks at a lot of factors, such as the number of mistakes, tackles won, balls given away and all that other important stuff currently ranks him as the 150th best defender in the league, just below.... Kyle Naughton, Nicky Shorey, and Chritophe Berra
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Oth Arteta and Gervinho are young players brotha
LeeChungYong (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I agree with what Thebeautiflgam said, the Arsenal fans were not divided into dissenters and faithfuls, it was not black and white like that. Those who kept the faith also saw that there had to be some kind of change. And bringing in experienced players like Arteta and Benayoun (from bench) was what we needed. Arsene has brought new young talents like Gerv from France as he always does. The combination of experienced and new players is why we have been doing well, and of course you cannot forget about the return of Vermaelen and the scoring frenzy of RVP. I don't know if Arsene spent the money (relatively small amount) to please the fans or because he saw that he needed more experienced players, but with all his insight and wisdom I would think the latter is more likely
Sunny119 (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Does footytube pay people for posting these articles?
Fiasc0 (Eintracht Braunschweig) 2 years ago
Feel free to post an article and to find it out
Kayteo (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Um.... Doesn't anyone else see that arsenal's march up the table coincides with song and vermaelen coming back from injury? Helps when you get your two best defensive players back
Lol. More than anything is coincides with van Persie being fit, he's scored 10 of Arsenal's last 16 goals, and what happens when he doesn't score last week? Arsenal don't win
Champdemars (Arsenal) 2 years ago
The manu fan has it. Song is by far the most underrated defensive midfielder. Good on the ball, breaks up play, and makes the necessary fouls (albeit sometimes too close to the box). You know what happens when vermaelen/song arent there? No defence to start the attack. No distribution to vpersie, no goals scored. And they do all the dirty work that gets us out of trouble
Otownballer (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I completely disagree with the author's opinion that Arteta has been the only successful signing. Arteta has indeed been excellent and has formed an awesome trio with Ramsey and Song.

But Mertesacker, Andre Santos and Gervinho have been successes as well! Mertesacker's positioning and physical presence have strengthened the back four and he will only improve. Next season he will be a monster. Andre Santos scored an important goal in the win against Chelsea and is a more effective attacking fullback than Glichy. Gervinho has the ball control to waste most premier league fullbacks and even if he can't score himself, he has formed a nice understanding with RVP and has set up a lot of goals for the Dutchman. In any case Gervinho works harder than Arshavin!

So yes, Wenger definitely needed to get these more experienced players and mix them in with the young players. Wenger used his money wisely, bought players for every position and didn't drop 50 million or 35 million on a misfiring striker. Wenger needed to buy, he bought smartly, the benefits are there for everyone to see
The biggest plus in my opinion about Gervinho is that he tracks back to cover for Santos! That defensive help is huge. Its what really makes the back 4 that much stronger
Double post! Whoops
Davian (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Arsenal fans didn't want wenger to spend obscene amounts of money, we just wanted replacements for the players who left, for instance look at gibbs who is injury prone and the only experienced left full back we had, would it have been wise to enter a season with gibbs alone without buying an experience back up or starter. These are the gambles wenger likes to take and the fans are not pleased with that. Arsenal were 2 or 3 signings away from winning a trophy and he refuses to spend. The new sighnings give us depth and adaptability and consistency. Santos for instance gives us great attacking prowess and since he's not injured every seond gives us consistency, he may have fitness issues and not the best defender but he is getting better
Areacodeboy7 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I disagree. It was absolutely necessary to bring new players. When the season started earlier in August Arsenal were a depleted squad hit with injuries (Gibbs, Vermaelen, Diaby), loss of quality players (Nasri, Fabregas maybe Clichy) and suspensions (Song, Frimpong then Gervinho) we had to witness an 8-2 fiasco before Wenger realized we needed players for cover and squad depth. It wasnt like fans were begging him to sign big name players just for the hell of it
Paulsito (Arsenal) 2 years ago
So the loss to United made Arsene realize we needed players? Do you really believe that Wenger didn't see how many players left the club and the need to get some players in?

Those kind of comments make my blood boil
CliffordKit (Arsenal) 2 years ago
The loss made Arsene move. If there was no loss, he would still be stubborn and continue to depend on his talent team.
We are not saying we do not believe in the young talents brought up by the amazing academy, what we are saying is Arsene needs to replace the experienced players who left (I. E. Frebregas) and injured players with more back-ups and sufficient opportunity for key players to rest during less essential tournaments.
In my opinion, the loss was a good thing that resulted in positive change: Arteta and Mert and Benayoun
Champdemars (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I don't think he's that dense. He absolutely knows where we lack. I think more than anything, the board doesn't care that much about the footballing side, and were happy enough with the sale of players, and having faith that Wenger would get them out of it. But he tried to make a point out of the ManU game. He took out Coq (our only defensive midfielder) at 3-1, and put on AOC (a winger!). I mean that is outrageous. I think he was just trying to make a point
Bobloblaw (Arsenal) 2 years ago
".... I bet privately he would concede that he was forced into the transfer market, in light of the hiding at Old Trafford. " Wenger has been around the block - my guess is that it wasn't the result of a single game, but there were other more compelling reasons he felt 'forced' to buy: Fabregas, Nasri and Clichy.

Doesn't Wenger often wait until the last days of the transfer window to bring players in? Maybe the 8-2 loss had an impact on last summer's transfers, or maybe the timing the MU drubbing was a bit of coincidence.

"Wenger swallowed his own principles and spent a chunk of money on a load of new faces.... " - you conveniently forgot that the sale of players brought in a 'chunk' more cash than Arsenal is used to seeing in any given summer.

The main issue for Wenger has always been that he's not ruthless enough, he holds on to average players for far too long and replaces too many established players with ones that need time. If you look at Fergie he has discarded lots of players who are easily good enough to play for most teams in the Prem, but are not "title winners" whilst Wenger and his overblown sense of pride hold on to the likes of Denilson for far too long in the vain hope of one day being able to do his "I told you so" dance.

Still though it's nice to see Arsenal playing with their old swagger again
[account-removed] 2 years ago
This is wrong.

The negativity and the protests from the supporters actually made Wenger reconsider and make a wise move in the transfer market.

Very few actually called for him to be sacked, most just wanted him to be less stubborn in his ideology and willing to make some changes. And he did. And now it's better.

Credit where credit is due? Well then, Arsene and the "dissenters" more like "protestors" deserve all the credit. It was a joint effort
It's true his stubbornness is what needed to change and when he brought in Arteta and Mertesacher I was very impressed at his ability to adapt. If he continues being less stubborn the wait for some silver might actually be over before we're all old men
Paulsito (Arsenal) 2 years ago
You really think it was the protests that made Arsene buy players? LOL!

The moaners deserve no credit, but a kick up the backside. When Arsenal were still fighting for the PL title, people were bringing the club down.

T
Chargui (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I would say the new signings were vital to the streak of form that followed. Arteta has been great, Park has done his job in the CC, Mertesacker and Santos are not great yet but good enough. I still want to see more of Benayoun to judge. The better option could maybe have been to recruit those players last season, maybe with more depth we could have gone further in the different competitions, or won a title. It's just a thought and AW always knows best anyway.

Coyg!
Jerkstore (Barcelona) 2 years ago
In RVP we trust...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football