Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Horses For Courses
DeadRevel (Manchester United) 2 years ago
This is one of the worst articles I've ever read. Clearly written by some bitter anti-United fan. If you are actually suggesting Owen wouldn't love to be playing for United week in week out I suggest you stop writing about football immediately and stick to something more suited to your IQ level. Finger painting perhaps
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
Easy tiger.... Why is it that some United fans think anyone who says anything even remotely against United must be an anti-united-glory-hater?

I don't think the suggestion is at all that Owen doesn't WANT to play football, the suggestion is maybe he knows all the injuries down the years would mean it might be a struggle for him to do so and maintain 100% fitness so he's at his best. That's the way I see it anyway
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 2 years ago
LOL.... I'm reading along.... Great post.... Agreed.... Then of course Messi shows up.... Lol.... Barca fans (god love 'em.... Just cannot help it....)

Why don't we just re name the site MessiTube? Damn near impossible to have a discussion about.... Well anything on the entire planet let's say.... And sure enough Messi has something to do with it...
Akbarca (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Nothing to prove that this guy call Messi is a genious, a team player, good dribbler, amazing goal sense above all never see himself rather aspiring to be a better footballer. Often people talk about him moving to another league, sorry football is the same everywhere currently da silva and aguero are proving that. If for any reason he decide to move he can only cross to another bigger club in any league.
PaoloG (Sevilla) 2 years ago
"Owen sounds spoilt, unaware that his own dire performances were a notable contribution to Newcastle’s relegation.... "

Perhaps he wasn't at his best at St. James', but there's only so much a talented striker can do if his midfield mates can't get the ball to him
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
It's true, Owen could be playing week in week out for any team outside of the big 6, and maybe even one or two with in it. But he knows that maybe his body can't take that any more and he'd rather be a small part of a team that wins things rather than a big part of a team that struggles for mid-table.

He still holds a record for scoring in 26 consecutive internationals and 40 in 89 caps aint to be sniffed at.
Raffers10 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
This is a good post. One of the greatest strikers england has ever seen. And as you say he is very happy what he is doing
Chrisjuw (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Brilliant
Ruskin (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Sir Alex all ways treats his players like his stable, I would have liked for him to have won a european championship winners medal with liverpool. May be the grand national or the Oaks to his new career? ...
Faceo (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Smart very smart
Balotelli45 (Manchester City) 3 years ago
Michael Owen is a damn clever guy
Peteko 3 years ago
Yes I hated him too in that fateful season of Newcastle, but let's give him a break now.

Maybe he is just a realist. He knows his limits. His problem is not fitness, but repetitive injuries. Any smaller club would have pressed him to play game after game, while he needs a club that would use him with care.

Look, I think the allegations here are a bit over the top. He has been many times on record complaining about the lack of chances on the pitch. Especially before the world cup when he was dreaming of joining the national team again. Then later he threatened to move because of being benched all the time.

I don't know any case when he refused to join another club. Maybe no true offer came his way. Stuck with United, he knows his place. He knows he can't compete at this point with Rooney and Hernandez, so why not play it cool instead of venting and bitching in vain
Cantonaaaa (Manchester United) 3 years ago
You write good Philip, you write good
BoboRed (Leeds United) 3 years ago
Its a good job he's earning lots of money from football and race horse ownership, because he is a desperately bad gambler!
Footytubeblog (Blog) 3 years ago
Michael Owen is happy and he has a stable full of good reasons to be. First, he makes a phenomenal amount of money every week and all he has to do to earn it is have some casual kickabouts with the best squad in the country. To me, that’s pretty close to living the dream.

Second, he has nothing to prove (except to Newcastle fans). He is widely respected for his successes with Liverpool and England and despite fading at Newcastle after his injury in the 2006 World Cup; he will generally be remembered as a great striker.

Third, he loves horses and he’s got loads of them.

Owen gets a hard time because he is taking an unconventional route to retirement. Most of the old legends play as long as their tired, talented legs will carry them. Sheringham, Wright, Gascoigne, all dropping down the league table and then down the leagues just to carry on tasting real football. At 31 Owen has already made it clear that he’s not going out like that.

On the 2nd October Michael Owen will complete a year at Manchester United without a league start, but he is not concerned. He would much rather play a Carling Cup tie every 2 months than week in week out at a worse Premiership club. It is a mentality that directly contradicts most Premiership players, constantly complaining about not getting enough first team action and sitting on the bench too long. Michael Owen loves the bench, right now there is no place he would rather be, (except maybe at home rolling around in the straw with a couple of foals) many fans do not appreciate this attitude.

Owen sounds spoilt, unaware that his own dire performances were a notable contribution to Newcastle’s relegation. How can he claim to be above playing for Newcastle when he so clearly typified their failure? Where is that desire to get stuck in, to prove that he can still cut it in the league?

The truth is, that desire has gone, Michael Owen is fifth in the pecking order at Manchester United and happy as Larry. He is fading out competitive football whilst picking up a stunning paycheque and the odd trophy. Also, he continues to score goals at an impressive rate on the rare occasions that he’s called upon.

Whilst it may seem unnatural to the fans for someone to actively seek less football, Owen has now got other things to focus on, namely Newmarket, Aintree and Ascot.

If he hangs around at Old Trafford too much longer I may have to lose my rag and start calling him a money-grabbing, piggy backing so and so, but for the moment he’s just enjoying the merits of a great career, (if a little distant now) and why not, he scored a lots of goals to get a seat on that bench.

Blog by Philip Wroe

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
RedDevilDarby (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Great editorial. Images of Nicklas "I'd rather be skiing" Bendtner came to mind.... Owen is a hero and a fantastic footballer. I'd pay to have him in reserve!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football