Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Goal Line Technology
Matt (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
With the recent controversy over the 'goal' at Stamford bridge the discussion over goal line technology has once again come to the fore.

How many times during important games does this have to happen before something is in place? There is already reliable technology out there in use in other sports that can easily be adapted to football.

The main arguments against the introduction of technology is when FIFA introduce a new law it has to be able to be replicated at every level of the game and this tech simply would be out of the scope of teams in the lower leagues and non leagues. The other argument is that the use of tech would slow down the game providing many interruptions.

This is discussed with the usual fervor in this weeks podcast with Razor and O'Reilly. Also Gary and Razor are joined by Richard Forbes, aka King Jacks, who's debut single 'Heroes' is getting rave reviews. Check out the video, starring Danny Dyer and Frank Harper from The Football Factory.

They also find time to talk about Mourinho's chances in a fight, 'marvellous' Butch Wilkins, famous Lionels, funny names for horses and why FIFA should scrap the offside law. Oh, and the fact that they've been nominated for no fewer than three EPL awards.

Vote for Razor and Gary by going to www.epltalk.com and clicking the links for the following categories:

Best EPL Podcast

Best EPL Podcast Presenter (Razor)

Best EPL Podcast Pundit (Gary)

KingHarryKewell (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Personally, I think that goal line technology shouldn't really be implemented. Apart from the slowing down of the game (and thus probably ending up in some matches over 5 minutes of added injury time) the big one would be "what if the video referee got it wrong? " Then that opens a can of worms. There have been times in Rugby League and Union games here in Australia where the video ref clearly got it wrong - and they were then stood down for a match or two amidst an outcry from fans of the opposition team, especially if it ends up being a game-swinger. Also, for the lower leagues, is it really necessary? Should FIFA put in a lot of money in something that, in some places, would only get 3000 or so people at the stadium? The other question following on from that is "can some clubs afford to implement such technology at the stadium? " I can imagine that it wouldn't come cheaply, and some clubs aren't exactly swimming in cash. Following on from that, if goal-line tech is installed, then the picky fans would want other things such as handball, offside or penalty issues being referred to upstairs. How much is too much for the video ref?

It also means that, whilst the video ref looks at the situation from all angles and whatnot, players are just standing around twiddling their thumbs until a decision is made. That could be for just a moment, but it could also be for 3-5 minutes. Boring for both players and crowd
Matt (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
What you are saying makes sense if we assume the tech used is simply another ref with a video monitor.

I personally think an automated system whereby the ball is tracked and a goal automatically registered as soon as the ball crosses the line (see Hawk-Eye used in tennis and cricket).

This would lead to no delays and remove the temptation to try and use the video ref for other decisions.

FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Well if we are talking about only goal line technology then it's probably not going to be some referee with a screen playing back what happens but more likely an automatic system like Matt mentioned. It would be easier and FIFA can't use an excuse such as "It'll slow the pace of the game" because it won't
Haz147 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
It works in rugby and cricket and takes seconds to sort out.  How can it be a bad thing if we get the right outcome,  Come on fifa.
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
The whole 'wasting time' debate is bonkers. As Matt has already suggested there are systems in place (Hawk-eye) that can give refs immediate information. On the other hand, games that use Hawk-eye as a referal system (rugby, tennis and cricket) have all managed fine and infact it has become part of the game. You will often here crowds making a drum-roll type noise leading up to the decision which is only adding tension to the match
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
KIng Harry Kewell, I hadn't heard of the incidents in Aussie with de vid ref getting it wrong, but even the over the years i've seem so many massivly important goals not given that somethings got to change, (european semis, world cup finals ect, ect). FIFA isn't into changing anything, I reckon they earn to much graft with the present system, its about time the top european clubs get it together to form a european break away league and the reform football completly without de Euro Mafioso Don Blatter en Don Platini !
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
This sort of technology should start off with the hawkeye technology first of all, it will get trialed in a few leagues and it will work I'm sure of it, it takes 2 seconds to look at the monitor and say yes its over or no its not, I watch alot of tennis and this was one of the best rule changes the sport has made, even the most skeptical people have come around to it, now they only use it on the show courts and it would be the same for football, they would only use it in the bigger leagues where they beam the result of the hawkeye onto the big screen for everyone to see then no-one is in doubt of the result!
Fifa need to learn to move with the times and embrace the new technology that is available to us in the modern times, this stuff is there to make it more of a level playing field and it will put less pressure on linesman and referee's! Maybe the referee's across europe should push for it, or the next time they threaten to strike make this one of the reasons!

I'm all for it!
Saban101 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I think it's not necessary, the referee's mistakes just adds a little drama to the game and if such a technology should have been implamented then there would have been less blogs or comments....

Hope you guys understand what I'm saying in a french speaker
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I understand that sometimes the controversy makes the game interesting but how would you feel if a referee denied your team a blatant goal or penalty in the finals of the champions league? And this isn't something that happens once in a while, it happens almost every week and it's frustrating to the fans, players and managers of that team. And what about all that abuse(and sometimes death threats) that the referee's have to deal with after making that mistake. The use of technology would relieve some of the pressure on the referees and it would also stop managers from whining about the officiating or blaming the ref for losing
Kirkmg (Arsenal) 2 years ago
It could also add a sort of hawk eye tennis excitement whilst also eliminating a lot of needless controversy that does in a way 'put the game into disrepute',

Kick4Life - changing lives through football