Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Give The Guy A Break!
MancYank (Manchester United) 1 year ago
It is ridiculous how a few loses can have the pundits and reporters questioning the effectiveness of a new manager, or an established one for that matter. I thought Spurs lost a great personality with Harry Redknapp, and a passionate manager. AVB has the specter of Chelsea over his head, but he is in the position he is because he is a good manager. He will need time to implement his plan. Brendan Rogers is in the same boat. He's been thrown to the wolves and he's just started. I'm obviously a United supporter and I've noticed that Sir Alex is usually the first person to express outrage when a good manager is sacked after one season due to a less-than-expected result. He is the most decorated manager in the Prem and he knows the need for the time to build a team. People want instant gratification; they don't see the value in investing in an idea
Footytubeblog (Blog) 1 year ago
Three games have been played in the Premier League so far. Yet after one game, Arsenal were in crisis, Manchester United had bought all the wrong players and, bringing up the rear, was Tottenham with an amateur (apparently) as a new manager. But that’s the point, three games have been played and already there are calls for Andre Villas-Boas to be put under increasing amounts of unfair pressure (notably, not solely from supporters).

Harry Redknapp came in and did a good job at Tottenham. But despite his obvious flaws as well as the success in achieving Champions League football, you always got the feeling that Redknapp was a bridge to something much more long term. Now that Spurs have identified Villas-Boas as their new manager, what exactly is the problem?
The Portuguese manager was obviously highly-regarded at one stage in England — and he certainly is elsewhere in Europe. But that spell at Chelsea hangs over him now like a time bomb waiting to explode. It just so happens that the explosion, albeit a relatively small one, took place so early in the season. Why do we need to look at the past achievements of a manager and the likely success he can bring in the future if there are more interesting stories revolving around a crisis under his watch?

With Villas-Boas at Spurs, there’s a necessity for time to be given to the manager. He follows a footballing philosophy that Daniel Levy was obviously drawn to, but that is not going to wash over White Hart Lane inside 90 minutes of Premier League football.

I really don’t understand where this need for AVB to be put under serious pressure comes from. Take the latest Hugo Lloris story for example: Why would any manager openly tell a new recruit that they are an automatic starter ahead of the established player already at the club? Why go out of your way to wind up a group of players and risk your empire crumbling before it’s even constructed? I think it’s plainly obvious that Lloris will start most of Spurs’ Premier League games this season, but Villas-Boas has created a good level of competition between his two goalkeepers, rather than just naming the flash new signing as undisputed number one.

The other point of obvious note is that Villas-Boas has only been able to really start his season this past weekend against Norwich. The manager wanted Joao Moutinho as his creative midfielder, but clearly that didn’t happen. The reports of a move for Willian proved to be rehashed and wide of the mark. While I really don’t believe Clint Dempsey was high up on the manager’s wish list. He has to make do with what he’s been given—although none of his new signings are anywhere near bad players. But how can he be under pressure after starting out of the blocks so late without the personnel needed for his system?

If Daniel Levy is having second thoughts about Villas-Boas (and I really doubt he is) then he should perhaps rethink his decision to go into the transfer market with only a couple of days left. AVB didn’t ask for that, but he certainly needs more time than just three games to get his message across to the players.

12 months ago I think most clubs in Europe would have been excited with the appointment Villas-Boas. But his signing by Levy is hardly picking up the pieces from a bigger club who found no use for him. Instead, both the chairman and manager appear to be on the same wavelength in terms of where they want to be after a project of a few years, not after a few games. And even if Spurs have to take another year way from Champions League football, where’s the problem in that? The club aren’t a regular in the competition as other English teams are and they’re certainly not entitled to participation every year.

What Spurs can be happy about is that they have now landed a manager who fancies taking on a much more tactical approach, using his full set of clipboards and notepads. But it’s incredibly foolish to expect a new manager with new ideas to reshape a new team with new players inside a matter of weeks. It doesn’t happen overnight and there will naturally be frustration before the end result of something very positive. Like other players and managers, Villas-Boas needs time and full support.

Written by Thomas Hallett

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football