Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Football Clubs Need A Contingency... And Quick
Fiasc0 (Eintracht Braunschweig) 3 years ago
Well I support the idea that club payments should be tied in club income. Just by a reasonable figure.
Firstly the club can't run in horrorible debts, secondly they must look out for players they can afford. Also having a view on ticket prices. In my opinion theres no need to hand out the future of a club in hands of a sheik or russian oligarch, whos willing to spend dozens of millions for top players. No one knows how long they will do so. That's exactly what makes the gap between elite clubs and others.

All over all its missmanagement. Just having the idea to increase ticket prices which no common fan can't afford is stupid. So why they wonder when those watch games on TV then?
Better having a high attendance for your team, who keeps the club alive in any leauge then three high cost players which no one willing to watch them, besides the media.
Fiasc0 (Eintracht Braunschweig) 3 years ago
For example, my favourite club Eintracht Braunschweig had an average attendance of 17, 404 viewers in the 3rd german leauge (season 10-11). Nowadays on 2nd leauge its 22, 225.
A dream for some Serie A clubs. No offence !
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 3 years ago
Seems like everyone is in agreement here, the main problem isn't that they want to show live football at 3pm on a Saturday, it's that players salaries are completely unsustainable and in no way tied to the clubs' income. In any other business this is what's known as commercial suicide.

All the posters so far have it right, it's time to reel these massive egos and cap their salaries at a level that makes football sustainable. Once that's done the pressure to rip fans off at every single opportunity will be eased and fans will start turning up at stadiums again.

But for what it's worth I think it's this pressure that means we have the absolutely ridiculous rule that every country on earth can show our 3pm kick off games except for us. It's one of my most major gripes with the premier league.

I have supported my team all my life, and been a season ticket holder on more than one occasion, and I love watching them wherever they play or however bad they are, but I now live 250 miles from the ground, so what I don't deserve to see the games because Carlos Tevez want's another £50k to refuse to play football?
Porkchop88 (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Easy answer.... Salary CAPS and reasonable ticket prices will create revenue for all clubs. They did that with the NHL and teams that haven't won the Stanley cup in 60 odd years are now starting to bring the cup home. Just imagine how beautiful football in England would be if top players were dispersed among all the premier league teams, it would yield unpredictable results (opposed to the expectation of Man UTD winning all their fixtures against weaker teams) and we'd get to see teams win championships based on skill, chemistry and innovative coaching techniques opposed to just throwing money at players to join top clubs and them taking home the championship every year as we already see in La Liga with Barcelona. With a financial crisis looming among Europe plans to put a salary cap in play and revamping concession prices will go a long way for the future of the game
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
I don't know. The way this is going, the clubs can start thinking, if the playing staffs cost more than a certain amount of their income, then they should start limiting their pay structure. Stop handing out contracts that has increment year on year. Making the fans pay for the club's inability to stem the wage problem is not the way to go. Who would pay a premium to say, eat a sausage? Once, going to football games are for everyone, now? Its only for the rich. The situation is just like the mobile OS war, if I don't feels like paying for an Iphone, I'll go for the Android. Its as simple as that. If I can't fork out to go to the games, I'll find other means of watching or I'll do other things instead.

Epl should really follow what Bundesliga is doing. Reasonable pricing, packed stadiums, Excellent atmosphere. The clubs can't overspend because the league states so. And luckily, the football is entertaining as well.

Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Players are getting far too much money to be playing football, that's what it comes down to I think. I don't really know a whole lot about the situation but this article is really well written and informed me of as much as it could for so few words. Nicely done, football is becoming more and more influenced by economics and business and like they say more money more problems. There is already an enormous gap between the elite clubs and those below them I just hope it doesn't continue to get bigger. Players are being paid too much money, especially at elite clubs, fans are the ones that are suffering it appears, very sad stuff. Players are supposed to make the fans happy and vice versa, hopefully that quality and magic in football isn't lost over something as unmagical as money
Footytubeblog (Blog) 3 years ago
With attendances dropping and a landlady in Portsmouth winning the right to show LIVE Premier League football 3pm on a Saturday, I think it is fair to say that the game is on the cusp of a real crisis. Football clubs are having to wake up and smell the coffee and start putting a contingency in place.

I am absolutely staggered that the media are turning a blind eye to the current state of the game and failing to recognise the implications this ruling will have on the Premier League. Supporters are already voting with their feet, as clubs continue to price them out, and with this green light to watch games LIVE on a Saturday, football has suddenly become attainable at a fraction of the cost. Companies like SKY and ESPN are certainly not going to be offering anywhere near the type of financial packages that Premier League clubs have become accustomed to; therefore a giant fiscal hole will need to be filled. Supporters won’t be prepared to fill it, as they are already starting to stay away.

Niall Quinn raised this point last season about the affects of supporters watching the games in pubs and his concerns were widely ignored. The Sunderland chief highlighted the fact that not only were the club losing out on match day support, but the lack of revenue coming into the club would subsequently stunt growth and progression of the team. This must be a genuine concern for an array of football clubs out there, especially if the TV money starts to dry up in the coming years.

I have spoken to various supporters about this issue and the general feeling is that clubs will have to drop ticket prices, which is all well and good, but the majority of these clubs need to charge such fees in order to keep their football clubs afloat. With wages spiralling out of control and players on big contracts, a reduction in match day revenue will do more harm than good. They are unlikely to get any help financially from the TV companies; therefore clubs could be left between a rock and a hard place as to what is the best move forward. The financial bubble is close to bursting and with it a lot of lesser clubs could find themselves on the brink of administration as the sources of revenue start to dry up.

I am sure many who read this will feel it is all dramatic, but the drop in attendances already this season speak for themselves. Too many football clubs have misread the situation and by putting ticket prices up this summer have alienated their supporters, especially in these harsh economic times. I am sure many people at the time showed little concern when Jean Marc Bosman won his ruling for freedom of contract, but look how that decision changed the landscape of football and put the power of football directly in the hands of the players and away from the clubs. The impact of the judge’s decision to allow public houses the freedom to broadcast LIVE football at 3pm on Saturday may not be evident immediately, but I am sure there are many club chairmen who are expressing concerns, given the financial implications it could have on them in the future. In the short term it could be perceived that the supporters will prove the winners in this piece, but the cold reality is that it is their football clubs that could drastically suffer.

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football