Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Euro 2012 Spotlight - Spain
RouslanH (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I'm supporting Germany, but Spain is as always for the past 5 years an amazing squad, so I will probably go for a Spain win
Viktor23 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
They're one of the best but I'm still going for germany.... Honestly.... Mario Gomez? C'mon
Canino (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Spain are so good that they won the WC playing at 60% and they've reached the semis now playing at 70-80%.... If they play at 100% no team can beat them.... And that's a fact
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
I think when you wrote this comment, you only used 60% of your brain. Not sure if that's a fact though...
MondzZ (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Spain suiiiiiiii ar.... !  
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Is anything ever really 100%? There is a physical room for error, so no, I don't really believe the 100% thing
[account-removed] 2 years ago
I think spain will win this cup. Squad is so good
DIEROTEN (Liverpool) 2 years ago
There have been so many great european sides much better than this spanish side who have not been able to win 3 consecutive tournaments so I doubt they can win euro 2012
JoroMekiq (PFC Botev Plovdiv 1912) 2 years ago
Which side exactly was much better than this Spain squad? I don't remember such a team
Jimmybreeze (FK Partizan Beograd) 2 years ago
Please, humour us
The dutch side of van basten for one
FutureMUplayer (Manchester United) 2 years ago
France in 2000 when they won the Euro's!
That's the first a manu fan agreed with me.... Thanks
Jimmybreeze (FK Partizan Beograd) 2 years ago
Ok you list all the players from that team and I'll list all the players from Spain's team. Then we'll compare.

David Silva,
Casillas,
Xavi,
Iniesta,
Fabregas,
Fernando Torres,
Pique,
Jesus Navas,
Sergio Ramos,
Llorente,
David VIlla (injured)
Javi Martinez
Aliko (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Even without Villa we will produce some nice goals I'm sure of it
CFLNHLFIFAFAN (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Spain do have an excellent team that's for sure, and I think there going to finals, but I know if they do play Germany there losing, Spain has had us in last Euro's in finals and then Semi Finals in World Cup, both games 1-0 and very close but just too bad. I don't mind spain, but I know its Germany turn. I hope Torres scores tons of goals in this Euro, he will be the man for Villa
Dtouch (Ajax) 2 years ago
Germany are too young, too untested. It's Holland's turn
How are germany untested. This is almost exactly the same team they had in the world cup and very similar to the team they had in the last euros
Janco (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
They lack a goal scoring striker!
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
That's something that could have an impact on one dimensional teams, however, once you look at that team it's clear they don't really need a poacher! The goals can come from a variety of players
CFLNHLFIFAFAN (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Torres will show his best
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago

FIFA World Ranking

Tournament Odds
3/1

Key Players
Iker Casillas – GK – 131 Caps, 0 Goals
Xavi Hernández – MF - 109 Caps, 10 Goals
Andrés Iniesta – MF – 65 Caps, 11 Goals

Team Rating

Group
C: Spain, Italy, Rep. of Ireland, Croatia

Notable Facts
  • Won all of their Euro 2012 qualifying games.

• Only Fernando Torres and David Silva have more than 15 international goals.

• Have just 1 outfield player over the age of 30.

Spain’s Chances
Anyone who hasn’t been hiding under a giant volcano since 2008 will know all about Spain’s tiki-taka triumphs at Euro 2008, their first major trophy since 1964, which was followed up with their first ever World Cup win in 2010 incidentally that was also the first time they had progressed past a World Cup Quarter Final since 1950.

It has also been well publicized that a good portion of their success has been attributed to the duration of time they have managed to keep their vastly experienced core team together and the fact that many of these men play together week in week out for their respective clubs. Key members such as Iker Casillas, Xavi Hernández, Andrés Iniesta and Fernando Torres have remained unchanged for many years and along with a number of others make up an impressive list of 7 squad players with over 60 Caps to their names. A whole host of others like Gerrard Pique, David Silva, and Juan Mata may have less caps than that but already have huge experiences at both club and international level.

So what hope is there for the rest of Europe in stopping Spain from becoming the first team to retain the Henri Delaunay Trophy after Spain finished Qualifying with a 100% record?

Well David Villa, Spain’s all time leading goal scorer and top scorer at Euro 2008, World Cup 2010 and Qualifying for Euro 2012 (for Spain) with 51 in 82 caps is going to miss the tournament and this will be a huge loss to the Spanish. Whilst Fernando Torres has 93 Caps with a decent return of 28 goals his troubles have been well documented over the past season and whilst his quality is indisputable and it would surprise very few on the know if he set Euro 2012 on fire, whether or not he can contribute to the proportions of David Villa remains to be seen after a season where 59 Chelsea appearances brought 12 goals, not the disaster the press like to make out (especially if you throw in 12 assists), but not up to the standard of the world’s finest. Though such is the wealth of talent in the Spanish squad, even if he doesn’t step up Fernando Llorente’s 7 goals in 20 caps is already looking world clas and if Torres fails to make a quick impact his name sake could step in and make his mark on the world stage.

One of the other areas you could argue the squad looks thin is in defence, according to various contestable sources Spain are taking just 5 “officially designated” defenders to the tournament, and only one of those (Sergio Ramos) has over 40 caps. With players such as Carles Puyol, Joan Capdevila, and Carlos Marchena all of whom were involved in at least one of the prior tournament wins and played a role in qualifying for Euro 2012 failing to make the trip to the finals.

The midfield is enough to make any football supporter drool with envy and as much as I tried to find a potential weakness the pathetic best that could be conjured up was the fact that Xavi is now 32, which, in a midfield with only one other player over the age of 26 and a squad where Xavi is the only player over the age of 30, is actually experience and strength rather than age and weakness. Whilst the lack of older players may seem a weakness many of their younger players have vast experience at all levels so this should not be a problem either, and with a midfield like that who needs defenders, or even strikers?

Italy, Ireland and Croatia may not have major reputations as attacking forces but Spain could suddenly find themselves in much tighter games than they were expecting and rely on their new raft of amazing but relatively untested talent to carry forward the astonishing standards set by their predecessors.

Despite the above there is very little to suggest that Spain are not worthy of their status as tournament favourites and it will come as a huge shock should they be knocked out at any stage other than the final. Even if all 3 teams in their group are more than capable of causing the level of shock required to get a result against the Spanish and even with a potential replay of the 2010 World Cup Final against the Dutch potentially looming in the Semi-Final, Spain are the team to beat and with only tiny straws of weakness to clutch at when assessing their squad they look set to go all the way once again if the defence settles and someone steps forward to fill Villa’s sizable boots.

“Araz Index”
Chance of qualifying from Group: 90%
Predicted Knock Out Stage: Final

“Matt Index”
Chance of qualifying from Group: 100%
Predicted Knock Out Stage: Winners

Matt's Possibly True Trivia

• In Spanish quiz shows you have to "pass" at least 5 times to skip a question.

• It is said Xavi can spot the sex of a flea at 10 paces and tell you its eye colour at 8.

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Shazli95 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Xabi alonso has more than 15 international goals

Kick4Life - changing lives through football