Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
England: Can't Win. Won't Win
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
To add a bit more gloom to the pile. I agree with everything you said except the defence in my eyes is potentially a weak spot. Neither Terry or Ferdinand are the players they were last season, Terry less so but Rio is a real worry right now.

Glen Johnson is yet to prove he is a good defender rather than a good wing back. Ashley Cole is quality but no real back up to him.

I hope in the second half of the season I am proved wrong with Rio and Terry being dominant again
SYYYM (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I agree.
The Defence is the problem.
But I would say the bigger problem is the GK.
Who is going to make it?
James? Green? Robinson?
They are good but nothing more.
England needs a GK like Casillas or Chech.
I hope a young talented GK is going to surprise us
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
See, I think more of the problem with the keepers is that one is not more dominant than the other. There's no clear cut choice. And it's not like these players all play with sides that have their defence figured out, a keeper can only deal with some of the balls in the box. It's going to come down to Capello choosing what he wants that will fit best with his defensive core (whenever that comes around....)
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
I agree the problem with the keeper is that there is no standout player to nail the spot down as his own. This does not mean we have bad keepers just a bunch of good keepers that have good and bad days.
I honestly think you can put any one of Green, Robinson, Foster or even Hart (notice I left out ol' calamity) without any real difference in the performance between the sticks
In perfect agreeing
I feel sorry for England right now. So much talent, so much gone wrong with the team.

I think right now England's skipper needs to step down for a bit. Terry's a great player, but his personal life's in a bit too much hot water, and with Wayne Bridge attacking him now, I would say take his armband at least. England is still deep enough to compete. Plan for an immediate future with no John Terry or Wayne Bridge once the floor drops.

Now then.... The captaincy....

England's got more than enough captains on the club level, surely somebody can handle that responsibility. Becks can, Giggs can, Rio won't get a sniff with his recent stuff, but there's plenty of others.

Right now just root out the people that can be a burden and then you will have as close to a match ready side as possible.
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Giggs isn't english
Sorry. I keep thinking Man UTD senior members. Owen Hargreaves is. And he's capable
Perrygarl (FC Seoul) 4 years ago
Unfortunately I think Hargreaves will still be out still (I believe it's the knee ligaments) so I don't think he is a consideration for the World Cup, but you can see just how much talent we have in the midfield, when Hargreaves is out, Joe Cole is questionable, and we still have a choice to make on who plays in the center.
Tebbo (Arsenal) 4 years ago
It really is absurd how stacked the midfield is and then how light the attacking third is. The options in midfield are endless really. I'm not sure a 4 5 1 is a good idea though. Sticking Rooney up front on his own, while he is plenty capable of scoring in such a situation seems to me not using his abilities to their fullest. Unless it is more like a 4 5 1 / 4 3 3 with ashley young and wright phillips playing high and wide. Joe Cole needs to be at the World Cup if he hasn't already been selected. He is just a fantastic player all around and I think starting with him on the wing and then subbing him out for someone like ashley young or wright phillips would work well.

England will do well. I have no idea if they'll win but they seem like they certainly have a chance
Darksidekatana (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Wow that's actually a really good read and its true i'd love to see england do well in SA but unfortunatley I agree with you and think that they will not do so well, but hey shoot me if I'm wrong
Don't worry Darkside, if anybody will be in the firing line for saying this, it would be me ^_^
Shabz07becks (Manchester United) 4 years ago
WE NEED beckham ! Seriously, if he is there, he can deliver great accurate crosses and his he has sharp eyes to catch players far away and long crosses can atleast create chances to get forward. And thers always a hope of a free kick being scored. Remember world cup 2006 England vs Ecuador, beckham scored a free kick
SYYYM (AC Milan) 4 years ago
You're right  Beckham is an important player
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Beckham is good, I don't think he is better than lennon and joe cole at the moment. He is more useful as an impact sub late in the game if you ask me. Should definatly be in the squad no matter what though
I have to go with Blueskiesahead, for the moment. But what will matter is Beckham's game during AC Milan, if he is dominating the right wing, there is no reason he can take his spot back from the younguns
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Do not adjust your monitor, This post is not a repeat from every tournament since 1998
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Lennon>Beckham
Saadoony (AS Roma) 4 years ago
I think England wanna some men not a yet Whiny girls
To be fair, Beckham's voice is always going to be that way. ^_^
Maziz (Manchester United) 4 years ago
They should put rooney and gerard up front. England got great players. You just have to know where to put them on the right position on the field
Esso02 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Hilarious blog.... But true anyways. You should think about getting a job with BBC Sport. Phil McNulty has nothing on you
Thanks a lot for the compliment
Tintifra (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Now you can add another item to the list: can you say "John Terry sex scandal"?
Yes. Wayne Bridge saying he will not play with John Terry in the team, and considering quitting the international stage altogether. Personally I hope not, he is a great defender and a model professional for the game
Ricardo4chelsea (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Great Post Cheers

I think England should worry about the U/S, they will be extremely fit and prepared. Then it loks easy till the quarter finals
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
England have a slightly easier route to at least the quarterfinals. I wouldn't be surprised if they do make to the semi's. Barring that that win their group, they'll play the second place of group D would could be Ghana or Germany imo. These two teams I think they can beat with the quality they have. But as for winning I don't think so. If they go up against Spain or a strong south american side, they might lose. But I think it's up to Capello to figure out his final and best formation and squad to bring with him
[account-removed] 4 years ago
You gotta' hav faith in your football team, yes we haven't got any great goalkeepers, but most, if not all of our team; is world class. Jermaine Defoe could be regarded as WC
I think Defoe certainly has the potential too, but I just don't think he gets a regular enough run of matches to see it. He should get the chance though
Craij (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Not many defenses would be able to handle a Rooney-Defoe combo. Too quick! And both of these guys win a lot in the air despite their lack of Crouchness
Crouchness, that has to be put in the dictionary, next to bouncebackability
Stparks (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Has anyone considered using Manuel Almunia as the solution to England's keeper problem? I mean technically he is an English citizen and has expressed his desire to play for England internationally so why not use him. I understand he's not the best keeper around, but I'd say he's still just as good if not better than the current English keeper roster
Pss4dm (Leeds United) 4 years ago
English team for English players, he's Spanish
I am all up for Almunia playing for England if it's allowed by FIFA law. All he would have to do if that happens, is to prove why he should be number one
Jinthereddevil (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Great thinking. In my books, England has one of the best teams on paper, but as shown in the past, fail to perform in the big stage.
The goalkeeper problem has been a nagging issue for the past few years, but finally there is a silver lining in the form of Hart. Agreed he's young et al, but lets face it is there any better keeper?
The Best 4 midfield in my opinion is Lennon, Gerrard, Lampard, and Beckham. Lennon because of his form in the qualifying stages as well as for Tottenham this season, Gerrard unanimous choice. Lamps cause of his recent form and Beckham because, as weird as it may sound, I have a hunch he'l have an awesome world cup.
Striker i'd say Rooney, DUH, and Defoe/Agbonlahor. Walcott can make a good striker as well, and why not Owen, after all no player gets into positions like he does.
Lets see what happens

Kick4Life - changing lives through football