Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Death Of The Transfer Window - Where's The Magic Gone?
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
Is it just me or has the transfer deadline day lost its magic?

I remember the good old days when massive deals were finalised with mere seconds to go, leaving you staring at the newspaper in disbelief with emotions running anywhere from suicidal to 'running around the local police station naked', ecstatic.

Deadline day used to be about managers rushing to sign players in desperation, as if it had completely slipped their mind that they needed that extra striker.... We would then witness the last-minute bull-rush as they ploughed headlong into a deal, all rational thought out the window, momentarily confusing the transfer market with an ebay auction. This would progress to the point where bids ended up being so ridiculosly huge, acceptance required no thought at all....

"£32mil for Robhino you say?.... Let me think about that for a seco.... Er, Yes, we accept...."

This season the biggest Premiership deal was arguably Robbie Keanes loan move to Celtic. Yes, that's right, a LOAN! As for actual transfers the most laid down was a £7m move for Adam Johnson (from Middlesbrough to Man City).

My. What A Holey Team Sheet You Have

What is more surprising is the obvious holes in some teams that still need plugging. Man United could really do with some defensive cover, Arsenal need a decent striker and, with the exception of Gerrard and Torres, Liverpool need a new, well, a new everyone.

So, What's Happened?

Have manager's learnt to actually sort their teams out fully before the season starts? Or, more likely, is it just that manager's have started to see some terra firma at the bottom of what they previously thought was a bottomless money pit?
Tommychan (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Reina is solid, people never give him enough credit and say liverpool is only a two man team, reina is a solid keeper all around, 3 man team as far as I'm concerned, still very ''holey'' but still give credit where credit is due
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
There has always been one or two big transfers in the January window but this one has been pretty dire. Could be because of :

-World cup year. Could be a case of the big players not wanting to move clubs because of the chance of hampering their inclusion into the WC squads for their respective countries, or old creaky legs like Viera (a relative poof of a bang in the transfer window) moving to City to try and make the French squad.

-Could be that many of the clubs are reeling from the losses being posted. United did sign Smalling for 10 mill(?) to loan him back for the rest of the season to Fulham, although that could be classified more as a summer deal. West Ham have been pretty active in the window with the new ownership cue new money.

-Erm City. They've spent so much money that the rest of the clubs around Europe are probably looking to sell players over, only to City since they are good for writing out blank cheques, spoiling it for the rest of us. The Arabs could have done one over the us all in keeping us waiting for which big money signings they'd make and then finally not doing much at all. Sly Saudis!

My favourite deals from the January windows of recent past, although not deadline deals have got to be Anelka and Brainslav Ivanovic . Although the latter didn't take part for a while in the squad, those two signings have been immense of Chelsea and are fantastic players, playing vital roles in the club in the last and this season
Perrygarl (FC Seoul) 4 years ago
At the same time, Chelsea also bought in Shevchenko, Sidwell, and Smertin, players which did nothing for the Chelsea squad, so they have also gone a little insane with the chequebook at times, saying that though, they have reigned it in and everyone they have bought since has been a top signing for the club
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
To say it frankly nobody's taking the bait on all of these absurd prices for the available talent. I don't say this with any malice of forthought but Real Madrid did this. Since their huge signings last summer now every club that's has a player that scores more than ten goals in a season wants Fifty million Euros for a transfer. Sergio Aguero is a classic example. He's twenty years old and has never proven himself on the world stage, his team has never won anything with him and they wanted more than fifty million for him and he wanted 250, 000 or more per week. That pretty much sums up what this transfer window was all about.

A few disgruntled players left their clubs to get more playing time but there were no suckers dropping bucketloads of cash for what was offered. After the finacial collapse of the market a year and a half ago people see a deal when its out there and this time there were none out there.

My favorite late deal of recent years would probably be Tottenham picking up Peter Crouch
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
My faves were Berbatov to Manchester Utd (yes, even though I hate them) and Anelka to Chelsea. I can't say Robinho exactly because Manchester City pipped us to it even though first we offered more. Anelka to Chelsea was a great move, and he is probably having the best time of his career for the Blues, bagging the golden ball last season for more goals than Drogba, Lampard, Ballack and Kalou to bring himself up to a total of about 17.

Others that I was surprised about: Richard Dunne to Aston Villa - last day of the January Transfer window last year I was watching Sky Sports news and none of the studio presenters had any idea at all if anything had happened. City and Villa were really in deep discussion and it had just ended when they finalised the deal.

Also, don't get me wrong, but Gary Cahill (a defender) is Bolton's 09/10 current Top Scorer and he was transfered in a January deal from a club I don't know about.

Other deals in this seasons transfer window:

Begovic to Stoke - Now who's going to be Portsmouth's 'keeper? Suppose James is going to have to go back in for the Pompey who are stranded 4 points behind hull at the bottom of the Prem :S
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I would say definitely managers are tired of paying insane prices for mediocrity. And I believe that this trend may even continue well into the future until those prices come down.... That might be good for the game overall, though.

And I do believe managers are figuring their teams out better now. There's quality players in every side in the EPL, it's just how the managers use them and how the players play that move you up or down the table. If there was ever a thought that the transfer window was an end-all solution to your problems, I guess it's been broken. It does kill the drama of it.... But who's going to move to bring the drama back?

I feel sorry for whoever has a transfer window special on tv for the EPL.... Must have been terribly boring
PepeLePewPew (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I agree with this.

It's mostly the overpricing following 2009 summer transfers and the bad economic situation (or if not bad then certainly worse than before) of owners.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on this year's January though, because I'm fairly certain that most deals will just follow through to the summer
The one non move that surprised my was that of Michael Owen. There was talk of a loan move so he could get game time and maybe force his way back into England reckoning.

That didn't happen and now that Man Utd are out of the FA Cup his playing time is going to be limited to the odd ten minutes here and there. Which must surely put paid to any thoughts he had of a summer in South Africa
Perrygarl (FC Seoul) 4 years ago
I don't know. Rooney may be on fire, but Berbatov is a little out-of-form at the moment, so there is no reason why Owen if he returns to fitness would be partnering Rooney. I think Fergie brought him in to be a vital member of the squad, he kept getting injured but that was when Newcastle had no choice but to bring him on when he was able to.

I expect to see a little more of Owen soon enough, I would have a fully-fit Owen over a fully-fit Berbatov any day of the week
That's assuming Alex changes back to a strike partnership as opposed to having Rooney on his own, after all he ain't doing to badly
Charlie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Yup; it was a non-event. Bad economy, over-priced players, etc...
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Could be everyone is still recovering from the summer transfers. City and Real can't have any more money. Everyone else may be waiting for the inflatiion to go down. I know some teams should definitely be looking to make some trades, I wonder why they havent. Liverpool namely
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Try United! What happens to United if Rooney breaks an ankle? Berba can step in and score 4 a game I suppose
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Well, ya got me there
Amicodinessuno (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Dude, money that's what happened. I mean the debts of the big clubs are huge like every year, yes, but this time around the big boys are a bit scared to throw around the cash as usual. And as everybody knows the top players cost a bunch of money. And that is why you missed out on all that excitement. Ciao
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Looks like every team needs to be bought a Arabs lol

On a more serious note, it is a combination of things. Good players have not been performing very well, money has run dry, too many players think they should get payed more than they are worth etc.

What does mean then?
Is every team going to be performing at about the same lvl?
Butters (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Love the liverpool commentt hahahhahaha
Mauijim (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I would tend to agree with what has already been said. Overvalued inventory and a tightening in expenditures.
I for one, am pleased. I welcome the opportunity for managers to.... Well, manage. For coaches to actually do some coaching.
I welcome the thought of youth coming up through the reserves and earning their spot in the 1st team.
I think it good for the "sport" rather than the "business"
I also think the athletes could use a bit of humbling, a more realistic view of their worth as an athlete, a footballer rather than a marketable entity.
Nothing happening in the transfer window? Well that's OK by me. Perhaps there is a small chance that the love of the game will creap back into this business
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Brilliant post
Timrodgers (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Hahaha totally agree with your view on liverpool. I thought I was the only one who thought this! They just can't seem to win without torres or gerrard playing.
And I agree that arsenal need a new decent striker, as all of out good ones are injured! Oh and to add to that, we need to buy a better keeper!
AhmadSK (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I heard they may move David Villa to Liverpool this summer? I don't know if this is true but all Liverpool need to get after that is a couple better defenders and maybe 1 or 2 midfielders and Liverpool will be back to their class form
BARCAAMAD (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Is it all about the money.... Buh the question is are the players really worth it?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football