Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Current Top 5 Playmakers
Andy (Rangers) 5 years ago
The role of playmaker is ever-changing and has adapted to shifts in style of play in recent years. From Baggio to Zizou, these players rank amongst the most memorable and skillful, playing an integral part in their team’s fortunes.

Although the finer aspects of the role evolve, the main characteristics of the playmaker are fixed, someone who pulls the strings and provides assists. An attack-minded player often in midfield who is at the centre of his team’s offensive movements.

Attributes include vision, passing and confident positional play. Zinedine Zidane possessed all of these qualities and is without doubt, the finest playmaker in recent memory, or in my opinion, of all time.

Below I list my 5 favourite playmakers who are still playing at a high-level of football.

1. Xavi

Xavi was instrumental in Barca’s unprecedented treble success last season, the Spanish midfielder provided assists for 7 goals in the Champions League and 20 in La Liga. He picked up Man of the Match in the Champions League Final in May and was consistently brilliant in all competitions.

He is in my opinion, the best playmaker in the world right now and a true asset to Barcelona, he will play a crucial role this season if the Catalan giants are to retain any of their honours.

2. Kaka

Kaka has almost become synonymous with AC Milan in recent years and so it was with a heavy heart that he left the San Siro this summer for Perez’ Galacticos’ project.

Kaka has extraordinary vision and has already notched 2 assists in 2 appearances for Real Madrid so far this season. Kaka was the fulcrum of Brazil’s attacking play at the Confederations Cup this summer and was picked as Man of the Tournament. Often the trigger for the counter-attack, Kaka employed fantastic pace coupled with accurate passing to take the tournament by storm

Brazil have already qualified for the World Cup in South Africa next summer and Kaka has often inspired and influenced from his attacking midfield role. One of the best players in the world who is set to have an ‘interesting’ season at the Santiago Bernabeu.

3. Sneijder

Wesley Sneijder is one of the most industrious midfielders in world football right now and his talents were impressively showcased in last year’s European Championships.

The Dutch playmaker found himself in an obscene situation this summer as he was deemed surplus to requirements at the Bernabeu and shipped off to Inter for a reported €15million, a snip for a player at his quality.

Thankfully, Internazionale will put his talents to good use and he evidenced great ability in the recent Milan derby, hopefully a sign of things to come this season.

4. Steven Gerrard

Steven Gerrard often wriggles his way into these lists due to his undeniable talents and I rank him among the best playmakers in the world. He passes with pinpoint accuracy and often inspires his team, injecting a sense of urgency into their play.

Liverpool came very close to winning the Premier League last season and a great deal was thanks to their skipper, a Kop hero through and through.

An all-round top player but to be fair, his consistency can be brought into question.

5. Andrea Pirlo

Andrea Pirlo is referred to as ‘the metronome’ in Italian football due to the way he sets the pace and rhythm in a game. In the 2002-03 season, Pirlo dropped into a deeper role than usual and under the guidance of Carlo Ancelotti, had a fantastic season for AC Milan, winning the Champions League in emphatic style.

In the same season in Serie A, ‘Metronomo’ averaged 90 passes per game.

Although his career is coming to an end, I still think Pirlo ranks among the best playmakers in the world. The lack of quality of surrounding players at AC Milan may obscure his talents but his vision is unparalleled.

Thoughts and Opinions?

N.Be. Top 5 Lists are matters of opinion and so it is impossible to be wrong, so go ahead and post your own list. Even the definition of a 'playmaker' is up for debate and so make sure you voice your opinion!
Dabears40 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Where is Cesc Fabregas? He is easily better than anyone on this list with the exception of xavi
Andy (Rangers) 5 years ago
Obviously not in my opinion
Theshid (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I think that those 5 are the best at their position at the moment capable of finding players with the absolute pass
Franboy (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Great post
Reyhan37 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
No offense to Gerrard, he's a great player and all but I don't see him as much of playmaker or a midfielder for that matter. Gerrard plays more like a second striker. I haven't seen him provide too many killer passes but rather get on the end of them to score crucial goals. I know his passing is great, but he doesn't seem like a playmaker to me.

I would switch him for Fabregas. I agree with your other selections
Omar (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I'm not too sure about Gerrard and Pirlo. Like Reyhan37 already said, Gerrard seems to be more of a position to be second striker, and Although Pirlo is great, I don't think I've seen him perform in the roll of a Top playmaker. Andres Iniesta should also be considered, because at time, and that is most of the time, it seems like Barca have 2 Xavi's!

Frank Lampard should also be in. He's been crucial, not only with crosses, but with goals as well. I myself never believe in a "Top" something list because, in this case, performances by a footballer are always changing
ArsenalDjukic (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Were is fabregas he is mad
M4rsenal (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Woooow.... Great work and great players everyone
Ravilianer (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Where is arshavin
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 5 years ago
Where is arshavin fabregas A. Young iniesta all good players should be there wiv xavi
Charrua74 (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
In my list Roman Riquelme would replace Stevie G. If Argentina want to qualify for the world cup Diego needs to make peace with this fantastic midfielder. He has the ability to completly control the pace of a game and create something out of nothing. Sorely missed by his national team. Stevie G is a brilliant player but I see him more as midfiled powerhouse than a playmaker
Charrua74 (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
1 Xavi  2 Kaka  3 Riquelme  4 Fabregas  5 Modric
Somere (Portmore Utd) 5 years ago
Ryan giggs
Sam (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
I really don't think Sneijder should be on the list, let alone #3.... He is a good player and playmaker but not in the top 5- if he was, he would have stayed at madrid and they would have made it work with kaka and ronaldo.... I think that fabregas deserves to be in his slot without question...
Cha014 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Fabregas is better than atleast PIrlo, he has so many assists and a great vision to find players
Xavi deserves top position he is just great
Jman008 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
You probably should have made it top 10 and added a few more players. Fabregas is great like alot of Arsenal fans are mentioning and you could say so is Ryan Giggs even though alot of people might disagree with me but he does some magnificent assists and has a great vision of the ball. So does Paul Scholes
Oballer (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I would add Luka Modric to the debate. He seems to set up a shot on goal whenever he touches the ball. He is injured now but when fit again will really impact Tottenham and help to lock them into the top 4 in the Premiership this year.

Also I am surprised Xabi Alonso was left out
RyanRB (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think pirlo should be at least in the top three.   Xabi Alonso should be in there
4 years ago
You forgot xavi and xabi alonso man
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Nice to see a Milan player there
Rogue4341 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
What about Nani? Great crosses to the middle to open up the defence and get a goal
Aaron222 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Bebe should be in it.... Lool
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Xavi will be the best. Kaka agreed also.  Iniesta's missing though.
MadDog (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I would put Andres Iniesta in place of Sneijder and the rest is just about right. However I don't think you can question Gerrard's consistency as I think he has been performing at the top longer than the others and he is better than most of the players who have the same role as him even when he has a bad day anyways
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Second that. But IMHO Iniesta is better than Xavi mainly because he can take on players as well as holding the ball. Passing and positional sense I believe they are on par. Both are not top rate goal getters. But they created lots of goals
No one is doubting Gerrard's quality as a player. He is one of the best players in the world because he always shows up, week in week out, giving Liverpool 100% for 90 minutes. Gerrard can make runs, finish, score in the air, take on opponents 1 on 1, thread passes, and score from well outside the box.

The question is whether he is one of the best creative playmakers in the world. He can play the killer ball, drop passes on a dime, and hold up the ball, but does he do that enough for Liverpool/England to be considered amongst the best playmakers in the world?

And about Iniesta, you can argue he has more to his game than Xavi. But while Iniesta can bomb forward interchanging with Messi, and the other forwards, Xavi sets up the groundwork from midfield. Can't find an opening in the defence? Pass back to Xavi and he'll set up a new attack. Xavi is the best in the world at what he does.

A similar argument is who is better? Eto'o or Ibrahimovic? For me Eto'o is the better goal scorer, more pace, more clinical, more industrious. But Ibrahimovic is arguably a better player because he is more creative, he has size and power to hold up the ball, aerial superiority, and slightly better technique
Sklark23 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Reyhan37, Well put
Tokyoreddevil (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Totally agree with Reyhan37 about Gerrard. I'd still put Iniesta in this list though, his range of passing, and eye for an opening is the equal of Xavis I believe. Plus he brings movement to the table
SoundersFC23 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
I a really good playmaker that everyone seems to forget is Aaron Lennon. His pace is electric and he could change the game at any time. I can't think of one defender that could keep up with him. Thoughts?
Soccerbeast1234 (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Man I luv all those players
Soccerstud5 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
My Top 5 would be: Messi, Kaka, Arshavin, Gerrard, and Xavi
Zach (Manchester United) 5 years ago
If you're gonna' include a player like Pirlo then you must at least mention Scholes. An absolute legend at United and the catalyst in the midfield for years. Although he is in the twilight of his career, he can still thread a pass into space that seemingly wasn't there and his ability on the long range volley is frightening. Scholesy is a true midfield genius of the top caliber and would definitely rank among my list
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Great blog as always, with opinions, clips and generally a good read
Oyefaj (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Thanks for this great blog but on current form, ithink this order is correct. 1. Xavi. 2. Messi, 3. Gerrald, 4. Sneijde and Pirlo. This wil do it for me. As the top 5 playmaker
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
How can you not have ronaldinho there? He is the best passer I have ever seen. He may not be able to beet people 1 vs 1 but easily in the top 3 playmakers
He mentioned 'Current'. Right now dinho is not doing well...
Imo he is doing just as well as ever in the passing category
If he is doing WELL, I won't be so upset with milan now. Please. Tell other Milan Fans that. As a Milan fan, I'm dead upset. I won't put the whole demise of Milan on Ronaldhino because its not fair on him. But he is liable one way or another. Why? Because its precisely we have him in the team, that's why Berlus thinks we can afford to sell Kaka. Bitch. Such stupidity by Milan. Sigh
Chelseafan8 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
1. Xavi 2. Lampard 3. Arshavin 4. Sneijder 5. Kaka

You may give me criticism for rating Kaka so low, but honestly whenever I see him play he's more

The scorer than the passer. And also I give an honorable mention to Modric, Fabregas, Ronaldinho,

Iniesta, and Schweinstieger
Herreloese (Arsenal) 4 years ago
YES! Finally someone had the decency to mention Bastian Schweinsteiger....
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Gotta' say Kaka, he's brilliant in the match against Espanyol. There is Arteta, although he is out injured. Of course, Barca's two best playmakers, Iniesta and Xavi. Fabregas of course, such an assister when Arsenal needed him. Lampard's there too
Ukpoonia (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I agree
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
1. Xavi  2. Gerrard  3. Kaka  4. Lamps  5. Iniesta    I will post a descriptive one later
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
1. Xavi
2. Kaka
3. Sneijder
4. Gerrard
5. Lampard

The reason I put Gerrard Lower is because he's good at other things and a little worse in Play maker in my opinion compared to others. Xavi and Kaka are the definition of a play maker amazing. Sneijder is a great player and play maker just does really great Lamps just pure class
Lamps
Lamps = Class
Gerrard4ever (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I don't understand why people don't like lamps
He gets over looked alot. With gerrard, xavi and such around
Yes yes, true
I rate Lampard very highly. For some reason he is always in the shadow of Steven Gerrard
Ademovi (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think that Steven Gerrard should be the first
Ademovi (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think that Steven Gerrard should be the first
TibberFC (West Ham United) 3 years ago
Lampard is easily hated for the way he left whufc
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Xavi deserves more
Lookaloop (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Ronaldinho was the BEST. Some of his passes were brilliant. Maybe he's not so good now but a little while ago he was brilliant
Do you watch the AC games? He hasnt lost his passing ability 1 bit. Jst because he is not as good as beating opponents doesn't mean he can pass
I watched it. Last season was woeful. This season, 1 good game (against relegation candidate), 2 miserable outings. Lookaloop and Adamaus, if Real and MU would want him right now, Most Milan fans would gladly drive him to your various airports in exchange for Kaka or Rooney
We don't want him . I'm just saying he can still pass
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
1. Diego - Perhaps one of the few true number 10 players around right now

2. Kaka - Fantastic player all around, he makes space for players, threads brilliant passes to his forwards, and can finish brilliantly.

3. Xavi - Perhaps the greatest passer of the ball currently playing. Credit to him for tearing up United's defence with his intricate passing with Iniesta.

4. Pirlo - Another great passer of the ball with a fantastic long shot.

5. Xabi Alonso - Brilliant through balls, this man simply doesn't get the recognition he deserves for the attacks he starts up
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Thankyou - someone finally mentions Diego! How could we all forget him?  
Omar (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Ah I forgot as well! Diego is Amazing, his passes were some of the best I've ever seen during his time in Bremen, and he seems capable of creating the same form for Juventus!
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Xavi, Iniesta, Gerrard, Lampard, Xabi Alonso
FUTBAL (Chelsea) 5 years ago
1) Kaka  2) Frank Lampard  3) Steven Gerrard  4) Cesc Fabregas  5) Iniesta
Frashed (Inter Milan) 5 years ago
1) Xavi 2) Iniesta 3) Kaka 4) Diego 5) Sneijder

Pirlo just doesn't deserve to be on that list right now. Diego needs to be on every list, the man is full of class
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
1. Xavi 2. Diego 3. Gerrard 4. Inesta 5. Lampard
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Yamsy.... Thank you. People will learn to respect Frank And Diego soon enough
Tonkpils (Flamengo Rio Janeiro) 4 years ago
Finally some1 has a sense of what they're saying in these topics, great post, I jst think you may need to add a new player, Paulo Henrique Ganso, I advise you all to watch his videos.... Clever and skillfull

Kick4Life - changing lives through football