Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Corruption Throughout Europe - Match Fixing Scandal
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago

Some new developments have happened in the European match fixing scandal. 200+ games are suspected of being rigged.

"Around 200 games across nine countries have been implicated in the biggest match-fixing scandal to hit European football, with German police yesterday warning the cases they had so far uncovered were 'only the tip of the iceberg'."

Guardian Article

"Games in Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Croatia, Germany, Hungary, Slovenia, Switzerland and Turkey are believed to have been manipulated. Also under suspicion are three qualifying round matches from UEFA's elite Champions League competition and 12 from the second-tier Europa League. A qualifying match for the Under-21 European Championship is also on the list."
From CBC.Ca

I know we have all personally felt like something was wrong in games we have watched. As in, how did the ref not see that? Or how did that team get 15 minutes of time added on at half time?

My questions for discussion are:

How high and how widespread do you think this has become?

Might it be in the Premiership? Might it be at International level?

ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
How about the France - Ireland game.... I think there was a little something going on there. ;_;
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Do you know which UEFA Champions League matches are under review? I'm curious who would risk such a stiff penalty when so much profit is on the line? Big penaties too for being found guilty at such a high level
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Who knows who has done it, and when etc....

All I care about is that all teams caught suffer a huge punishment. You want to win then win how everyone else does.
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
This is absolutely awful. I hate it when events such as match fixing permeate the game. I agree that the teams need to suffer some punishment, but the investigation has to go deeper than that. They need to find out the individual people involved and make sure they don't have the opportunity to spread their evil ways to other people and clubs
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 4 years ago
It makes me think how many games have been unfairly played due to this corruption. I have no idea how they'd rectify it
Ben (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Most of the corruption in the EPL deals with illegal transfers, managers taking cuts to facilitate transfers, money laundering etc.... I don't think match-fixing is as wide spread as it is in say, turkey and other eastern European leagues
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I read about this in the Daily Mail, luckily the police have got involved; 17 people have been arrested so far, and that was on Saturday. Any one think it may have been something to do with France vs ROI, or even Tottenham against Wigan. I don't think football deserves to be marred with these happenings, why can't we just get on with the game and play it how it's supposed to be played.... Normally that is the case and that is why football is such a big sport. MainEvent took the words right out of my mouth - I can't imagine which games have come to a conclusion because of this, and which leagues or tournaments it has been interfering with - Hopefully Ant, to answer your question, the case won't get too big. It should be stopped
Good thing there are people out there who do something about all of this. If not, the soccer world would be 100% corrupt.
P. S: I live near the UEFA, so if you want me to go protest, etc. Just tell me!

Zzlatan (Barcelona) 4 years ago
OMG!
That's awefull.
I can't believe this.
So big scandal will come out, if it is true.

From the original list of around 40 fixtures in Europe that were considered suspicious in terms of results, UEFA is today further investigating seven European club competition fixtures under its jurisdiction in more detail.

"The five clubs involved are KF Tirana (ALB), FC Dinaburg (LVA), KS Vllaznia (ALB), NK IB Ljubljana (SVN) and Budapest Honved FC (HUN).

"The matches concerned are:

Ucl 2nd Qualifying round 21. 07. 2009 Stabæk IF - KF Tirana
Uel 2nd Qualifying round 16. 07. 2009 Bnei Yehuda Tel-Aviv FC - FC Dinaburg
Uel 2nd Qualifying round 23. 07. 2009 FC Dinaburg - Bnei Yehuda Tel-Aviv FC
Uel 2nd Qualifying round 23. 07. 2009 KS Vllaznia - SK Rapid Wien
Uel 2nd Qualifying round 16. 07. 2009 SK Rapid Wien - KS Vllaznia
Uel 3rd Qualifying round 06. 08. 2009 NK IB Ljubljana - FC Metalurh Donetsk
Uel 3rd Qualifying round 30. 07. 2009 Fenerbahce SK - Budapest Honved FC....

Zzlatan (Barcelona) 4 years ago
UEFA will file criminal complaints, together with the relevant national associations, as soon as possible against clubs, officials and/or players in those countries concerned.
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
So infuriating, why does this have to happen in football? f*****g cheats, tarnishing the game greedy bastards. Hopefully it doesn't go too far, sad happenings
Kartikhadia (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I am sure its happening. And I think it is on a high level because thers not any committee that is prevanting this match fixing. And the world we are seeing from far is so beautiful but it has only dirt inside.

I hope it will be free of any fiixing in near future. Because now fifa is behind them...
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Personally I don't believe it's in the premiere league. I think that certain managers may use their reputations to manipulate ref's but you can't really change that. I also think that there are just some really bad ref's out there. At least fifa is doing something about THIS issue. Now if only they would investigate sep blatter/platini about that barca match against chelsea
Don't be so sure about the Premier league

Two-year inquiry that strikes at the heart of football
Harry Redknapp, manager of FA Cup-winning Portsmouth, is the biggest name in the investigation into transfers and bungs
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Haha yea it's kinda scary what's happening. And you know maybe in England too. Ever wondered why lately Chelsea get an extra 7 mins in each game? It's insane
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Why can't people stop cheating? I hate it! Way too much added time!
Just an update:

"The international gang suspected in Europe's biggest match-fixing scandal supplied sedatives to team doctors and hotel cooks to drug players in matches to be manipulated, a lawyer for one of the arrested suspects said Friday. Prosecutors believe the gang did not shy away from "locking up people in basements" or "sedating players," lawyer Burkhard Benecken said."
Prosecutors say the gang is suspected of bribing players, coaches, referees and other officials.

Link: www.freep.com/article/20091128/SPORTS18/911280358/...
Does anyone remember the Zenit - Bayern game that took place in the UEFA cup 2 years back?
Well it ended 4-0, and Zenit were accused of match fixing. Some organization then found out that the Mafia was actually involved in making Zenit win.... Sort of the same I guess
I live in Switzerland, and watch a local team called Stade Nyonnais play very often. Link: www.stadenyonnais.ch )
They are in Challenge League which is just under the elite division, and they have played against FC Gossau, FC Thoune and Servette FC. All three of these teams have been confirmed as having fixed various matches, and I bet some of them were against Nyon. Luckily we beat two of the three above, but it bothers me to know that they may have been cheating against a great team like Stade Nyonnais.

In consequence, some of the Thoune and Gossau players have been suspended until the end of the year....(Pape Omar Faye who is the top scorer of the league, and some insignificant others from Gossau.)
FC Servette was said to be involved, but indirectly, so it was probably some rich Swiss person who wanted to see them win more

Kick4Life - changing lives through football