Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Calm Down Suarez, It’s Only A Game!
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
The Premier League loves a good rebel. Mario Balotelli is testament to that. There aren’t many who haven’t been won over by jocular Italian striker. His antics on and off the pitch are a constant source of entertainment and despite all his apparent hubris episodes such as him taking on the mantle as the face of fireworks safety after he almost burned his house down prove that he doesn’t take himself too seriously. However, there’s a fine line between being a jovial character who prides themselves on standing out from a crowd and petulant trouble-maker who, at times, appears either immoral or amoral, I’m not quite sure which.

When Luis Suarez broke Ghanaian hearts in the 2010 World Cup quarter-final as he blocked a certain goal with his hand in extra time I had mixed feelings on the subject. On the one hand he effectively ended Ghana’s hopes of becoming the first ever African team to reach the semi-final stage and on the other hand he demonstrated a desire to win so great that he was prepared to sacrifice himself the for the cause. As much as he was essentially cheating his actions were in a sense noble, and after all wouldn’t anyone have done that for their country given the chance?

So when the Uruguayan arrived in the Premier League I was prepared to see him as ‘character’ rather than what many had otherwise portrayed him as. However as time goes by there are elements to his game that are both avoidable and inexcusable.

Incidents
First came the racism row in which Suarez was accused of racially abusing Patrice Evra. Whilst it is still not known what was actually said, the language used in Uruguay can be considered shocking to outsiders, but the connotations are not always what they are in Europe. Either way he should have known that in this country that is unacceptable. Many consider the Liverpool striker to be the sort of player that can get under the skin of opposition players; the problem is that he becomes equally wound up in these situations and his penchant for the underhand is a largely debated subject. Often accused of going down a little too easily the Uruguayan embroiled himself in yet more trouble against Fulham on Monday after he was photographed giving Fulham fans ‘the finger’ after the game. As I said before: being something of a spiky individual is fine as long as a) there’s no real harm done and b) it doesn’t affect your performance. For Suarez there is the danger of both.

Liverpool already have problems with Andy Carroll in that he seems lethargic and now there could be a problem with Suarez needing to calm down. Dalglish has been calling for his player’s protection from the media but to be perfectly honest Kenny he isn’t exactly helping himself. We are not yet half way through the season and he is already under investigation by the FA for two different incidents. Nobody is saying that there is no way back nor that he is not a great player, he is, but these sorts of issues need to be addressed if Liverpool are to get the best out of him.

Role models
A lot can be learned from previous Premier League players who have suffered similar problems. Firstly you have players like Joey Barton showing you how not to be a successful footballer. However good Joey might be on the pitch his antics hinder his development. Barton himself admitted that his spat with Gervinho had cost him a transfer to Arsenal and Capello has always said that he is too volatile a player to include in the national squad no matter how well he plays. It seems hard to believe that after how well he played last year Barton is now playing for QPR, no offence QPR, but that is what happens when you career is inextricably linked with overshadowing events on and off the pitch.

On the opposite side to that you have players like Cristiano Ronaldo who was, let’s face it, a bit of baby when he first came to England. His strange fetish for rolling around on the grass, making the most out of physical contact and generally crying at every opportunity made him somewhat of a laughing stock at first. That is until he got his head down, trained hard and became the most lethal player in the Premier League. When you get to that level the criticism just starts to bounce off you. At the end of the day arguing with somebody who winds you up won’t make you feel any better, scoring a hat trick against them will. Maybe that’s something Suarez needs to think about.

Blog by Hamish Mackay

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
"First came the racism row in which Suarez was accused of racially abusing Patrice Evra.... Either way he should have known that in this country that is unacceptable. "

Of which nothing whatsoever was proved, even after studying multiple camera angles and footage of the match, both by the broadcasters (Sky) and by experts looking for any proof at all. You seem to be indicating that he definitely did it.

Best to keep any bias or partisan feelings out of these kinds of things
Raffa (Sport Boys Callao) 2 years ago
This article reminds me of certain students that, for instance, hand in a research paper at the last minute, that they probably typed the previous night with little research.... You know "I gotta' hand in smth, better than nothing.... " In addition, when writing an article, one should be objective rather than subjective and leave behind any personal feelings about the subject. Although there are a few insights I would like to share with you guys about Suarez, I will just touch two points. First, very briefly, Suarez DID NOT cheat in the WC. The rules of soccer had been agreed upon years ago, and in his case he commited a foul (handball) that was properly addressed by the rules. Immediate red card and a penalty shot awarded to Ghana. Period. It is like saying that every soccer player who commits a foul to a potential break away is a cheater, because if they hadnt, it would've been a goal. Second, and lastly, otherwise I will go on forever; I am from South America and I would like to explain the racism view in the Western world. Let me start off with safely saying that in South America there is almost no racism at all. In fact, racism is almost inexistent. Let me explain. We do not have any racial connotations such as those use in North America and Western Europe such as "nigg.... R" or "speck" or ""chink" or anything like that. Those are racial names that have originated in those areas of the world and are not acceptable because of the intense racial tensions that exist. However, when we use those directly translated names in Spanish, they do not have the same racial connotation as in the western world. In fact, it works the opposite. For instance, "negro" or "negrito" is what we call our friend or buddies from the neighbourhood who are of dark skin, but it is friendly and they understand. We also use "chino" or "chinito" for our asian friends or buddies and similarly for white folks we call them "gringos" and you probably heard that one before. In all of those cases there is no racist intent, we don't have that insecurity because we are what we are, we know what we are, we are all equal and there is no racial insecurities, That being said, I can assure you Suarez does not have a racist bone, as I understand he was brought up similar to all of the rest of us in South America. Nothing has been proved Suarez said anything to Evra, but if he did, he probably called him 'negrito. '
Well said
Truck in Mexico    
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
@Raffa

Points well made, but I have to disagree, a foul, by definition is a breach of the rules, and an intentional foul is cheating. If a player commits a foul in an honest endeavour such as trying to win the ball, this is acceptable in a way, but if they intentionally and knowingly commit a foul to deny an opponent a deserved goal then IMO this amounts to cheating. The degree and immorality of the cheating is dependant on the individual circumstances.

As for the alleged racism, this is a far greyer issue than people make out, that much I do agree with you on. Yes I accept in south america the cultural connotations may be different, but Luis is not in South America any more!

And just as any individual will not be allowed to get away with breaking the law by hiding behind ignorance of the laws of the country they are visiting, it's Suarez' professional and personal responsibility to act in accordance with the culture and laws of the country he is in, and not the one he was in
Viper (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Spot on Araz. The whole "It's fine to say in my country' argument doesn't really make sense anyway. He obviously knew it was winding Evra up and knew exactly what he was doing, so he kept doing it. If it was an honest mistake, he would have stopped after the first time, and any decent human being would apologise too
Coyb18 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Araz, but again the argument falls back on the fact that there are punishments specifically set in place for such intentional fouling. It is therefore difficult and unfair to distinguish "an honest endeavour" from "cheating, " as they are both identified and punished in the same light, wouldn't you agree? As in any society, there are consequences for breaking the law.
I still feel that if Ghana had made the shot, or even won the penalty shootout for that matter, there would have been no such arguments and discussions as have existed. I think that's what it all comes down to: jealousy, disappointment, and the never-ending search for a scapegoat.
Acoop13 (Juventus) 2 years ago
@ant if you read the article from an unbiased point of view you would see that, while the author does acknowledge some view suarez's handball as cheating, he goes as far to say as suarez should not be blamed and that it is in fact a noble act b/c anyone would have done the same for their country
Sonoflaw158 (Bayern München) 2 years ago
@raffa no racism in South America. Give me a break. You find racism all over the world and I happen to know that Brazil has a huge racism problem in poorer, rural areas. And like others have said, Suarez is a professional and if he wants to play in Europe, then he should adapt to their culture
Go0bz (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Are you forgetting that suarez doesn't really speak english, let alone know the customs and culture of england?

I can't believe how far this bullshit went without any concrete evidence against suarez. Don't give me that, "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence" thing either. That's great and all from a philosophical perspective, but good luck using that in any legal system across the world. TWO freakin' months later and still nothing. I say once this is done and dusted, we have hendo claim evra called him some racial epithet over 9000 times (no evidence, of course). We can also have someone related to dalglish on the decision board after we ruin evra's image some more for two months
Andandandand (Liverpool) 2 years ago
If Suarez can't use his South American card for calling someone negrito/mate, then terry should get as much stick for being racist against Ferdinand, he is suppose to be captain of England. I guess the FA has its own way of dealing with things, like wavering Rooney's 3 match band for kicking a player from behind. The FA is a joke
Reddevil278 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Well said, Raffa, in fact I have a Spanish friend on my school team. Our forward is black, and my spanish friend calls him négro, (the spanish pronouncation), so it became a quick nickname for him, and he is perfectly fine with it
Lets not forget that the referee during the match wrote in his report that after booking Evra, Evra apparently shouted at him "You're only booking me because I'm black" - another utterly unfounded claim
Jawn (Liverpool) 2 years ago
No way, are you kidding me? He said that?
Viper (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Good read, Hamish. There's a few grammatical errors though, next time I would ask someone else to proof read for you.
Dennisrnb (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Good post! True, Suarez is a potential world class player but need to control his temper. You should try googling youtube for his red cards in his Ajax period. Unnecessairy and stupid
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Potential? You must be crazy.

The world cup and the copa america are both great examples of his world class player status. His club level work is ridiculous as well, without him Liverpool with be didly squat.... I mean who would they rely on? Carrol? Lmao.

Wake up
Honestabe (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Without suarez liverpool woulda bought someone else with the 50 mil chelski left.... Just sayin
Bren82 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Suarez is world class player.... His unbelievable FA ban just reinforces the general opinion amongst players that LA LIGA is the best league in the world to play.... No putting on shorts in freezing cold weather during winter.... Pay less tax.... Beautiful spanish women for a samba and sangria...
A couple of months ago after foolishly putting Suarez in my fantasy football team I started "Suarez Watch" and what I learned through this endeavour is that he waves his arms about, complains like a little girl and moans at anyone insight almost after every attack that doesn't end with him scoring a goal (which over the past two months has been all but one of them). I was already dubious about his actions at the WC, giving it all for your team is one thing, but there are a lines in life that shouldn't be crossed, and blatant cheating in football is one of them, but after all his latest incidents I've totally gone off him.

Also, Joey Barton.... Ending up at QPR is what happens when you're a trouble maker? How dare you, maybe he just has foresight and vision that you do not possess sir! Or maybe he likes a challenge.

QPR trophies in the last 5 seasons: 1
Arsenal trophies in the last 5 seasons: 0
Lampuiho (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Football is not about winning trophies LOL
Haha, was just blowing some steam. Seriously though, Barton.... Sit on the bench at Arsenal and win nothing, or be captain of QPR, play 90 minutes every week and get worshiped every time you simply avoid defeat. I know what my choice would be
Hayleycomet (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Seriously a QPR fan now going about Arsenal not winning any trophies? I am just speechless...
Hayleycomet (Arsenal) 2 years ago
That is like you comparing
Helsingborgs IF trophies in the last 5 seasons: 4
Arsenal trophies in the last 5 seasons : 0

How many years have we been in the top league? 125 years. And champions league consecutively? 14 times.

Was just blowing some steam
Alright calm yourself down, just a bit of sarcasm.

Though I did mean what I said about Barton, at Arsenal the pressure would be on him every week and he'd most likely be on the bench and heavily criticised for every mistake or poor decision on the pitch, as is the nature of playing for a big side that hasn't won anything in a while.

On the flip side, playing for a side where expectation is much lower, mistakes are forgiven almost instantly, anything decent is worshipped.

Dukeduke (Barcelona) 2 years ago
"there are a lines in life that shouldn't be crossed, and blatant cheating in football is one of them" haha. The Suarez handall in the World Cup was more reactive than anything. It was like watching a little kid reaching for the cookie jar. I'd be real ticked if I was from Ghana and pretty relieved if I was from Uruguay. He did get caught though.... And during the game.... Ahem Henry ahem.... Go Maradona and Go Messi! Handballs hurt
Dukeduke (Barcelona) 2 years ago
My bad posted twice
ScouserDan (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Anyone who keeps using Suarez as the scapegoat for the World Cup.... All I can say is Gyan should of scored! Had the chance.... Couldn't finish.... Cry me a river
Ruskin (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Calm down, calm down, Hamish, I always watch two sides playing football, Watch the exhibition between Italy V Colunbia, Suarez was on the bench. I, am glad rooney got a 2 match ban, after the F. A. Appealed the decision, if you where to look where he was last year and to where he is now, wow, well done Sir Ale Lord). Take Eric the Red, great player. Hope suarez is not banned that long. The ammount of flaling elbows and standing on feet Citys back four regulary commit yellow cards, they play a very italian style of football hey and whats new, Hamish your namesake MacKay, there was no one harder, lol
Coyb18 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Why was Suarez on the bench of a match between Italy and Columbia? He's from Uruguay...
Thanks for correction. Did you see the game. Good luck in your your endeavours to be the 1st london team to win the European Cup, you spent enough money on it. /Be Champions, lol
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
A few spelling errors - very minor really.... Didn't hinder the overall quality of the article though, I enjoyed reading. Let's not forget that any football drama is really what keeps the game going. Professional footballers are becoming more and more like actors. Just watch the training ground, the off-pitch meet ups, and even in the stadium tunnels.

That works for me, because it's such a big part of football today. Things like goal-line technology (let's not argue about that here) and undisciplined players like Suarez (I personally find him quite entertaining).... Well, allow me to quote ex-Brazilian Coach Dunga: "If there is no controversy in football, you wouldn't be there and I wouldn't be here. "

Great post. These blog posts are always fun to read!

Edit: Upon review, I think I should retract my statement.... Football drama does NOT keep football going, but it sure is more fun to watch it unfold before and after matches! You can label me sadistic for liking the drama, but I'm pretty sure if you're reading this, you enjoy the drama too!
San43 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
This post has been removed by a footytube administrator
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Removed as it had nothing to do with the article or the debate here
Jashank (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Wow.... Ill come down and start swearing at your face and start talking s**t to you for 90 minutes.... Lets see how you take it? How about you think about him in his shoes. He gets paid to play football.... Not take crap from the away supporters. You guys hate him because he is THAT GOOD.... Anda constant threat. Yes he complains but at the same time he gets almost no protection from the referees. Go back and watch the last 3 games and tell me if I'm wrong. Its easy to criticize a player but its difficult to stand by him
Deepu7 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I'd say silva's good, so is mata, and van persie.... But this guy isn't just made for football.... He's more of an actor, in which he's world class.... I'd say he's ruining his future as an actor by playing for liverpool.... He has better chances of winning an oscar rather than winning anything with liverpool.... Lol
Deejah (FC Utrecht) 2 years ago
You may be right in general, but in Suarez' case I have to disagree. I'm Dutch and have seen him play football since FC Groningen first brought him to Europe. I've always been a fan of his football skills, but even in a 'nice' competition (really, the Eredivisie is nothing compared to the EPL), and even before he ever got crap from supporters or the media he was a moaning little bitch.

Like I said, of course you'll snap at some point if you're constantly being harassed, but the fact is that Luis Suarez was a twat personality-wise before he ever got harassed.

Finally, I don't hate him because he is THAT GOOD, I love him for it. I hate him for his personality and have always done as he has always been like this
Deejah (FC Utrecht) 2 years ago
For clarity, my post was in response to Jashank. Also, good read, Hamish!
Theo (Chelsea) 2 years ago
They only give him 's**t' because of his actions. No one likes a diver or a cheater - which he obviously his - so opposition fans use that to taunt him. Silva, Mata and many other top players in the league don't get this type of treatment, so your "he's only hated because he is good logic" is rubbish
Drogba dosent get that treatment.... Never.... I've seen him dive.... He had that outburst in champs league.... No one abused him at that.... So why suarez? I'm not a narrow minded liverpool supporter and I get all the points everyone is making and everything is justified. I am basing my opinion on his time in liverpool.... Not before the liverpool days.... If you erase all the bad memories and try to give a player a new chance.... You will see hwo wrong you are.... I did that with ronaldo and now I can see how much he has improved.... After sometime.... People need to refresh their memories of a player no matter how bad he is.... Just so you can then judge if he has improved or not.... I do agree he falls alot and I HATTEEEthat side of him and I curse it everytime he does so.... But he never gets protection from referees and taking the middle finger action and pinning it against him is total rubbish. I find it dumb when people take that against him. Give me a frggin break. People need to think about being in other peoples shoes and then judging their actions rather than sitting on their chair and just simply criticising the player because form htat view point, your world is much simpler and quieter.

Anyone who has played football will understand the emotions attached to it. So if someone calls you s**t, you do take it personally and you can easily get aggrivated. That being said, I am completely behind suarez and I am hoping his behaviour changes for the better. One of the most lethal strikers around and under the guidance of ok, he will surely get better.... Ability wise and personality wise
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 2 years ago
To be fair, Drogba has received as much abuse as anyone. Why? Because he used to dive and complain a lot. At one point, and not very long ago, Drogba was one of the most hated players in world soccer, along with the likes of Ronaldo and Barton. Over the past few years, Drogba has really cleaned up his act, and because of this, there are few fans who criticize him. Sorry Jashank, but your argument is therefore totally irrelevant
Micha3l (Liverpool) 2 years ago
For everyone else it might be a game, but for Suarez its life. I loveeee suarez almost as much as I love all the haters. Don't be angry he shows passion. Everyone is just getting nervous that Liverpool is on the rise and Suarez is the main ticket. Chelsea fans are mad we beat them twice already this year. The Manchester teams are also angry because they barely escaped with a point. If I wasn't a fan of Liverpool, i'd love to watch Suarez play the way he does because he just (as everyone else quotes) dives and falls at first contact while rarely getting a call so in the end it ultimately benefits the opposing teams. I'd be terrified to watch Suarez play against my team without diving. Those who say he isn't skillful clearly are full of bias or do not follow football
Whatever makes you sleep at night
Micha3l (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Quality response. Your so insightful
Your post doesn't really deserve a proper reply. "Chelsea fans are mad we beat them twice already this year" "Everyone is angry cos Liverpool is on the rise" lol yea.... I'll stick with my original comment
Mattmuzz (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Liverpool on the rise? You're kidding right? Liverpool are probably going to fall even further down the table than last season, Tottenham are easily better than Liverpool now, to be honest Newcastle probably have a better squad
Tanmay 2 years ago
Great read. Especially the part about Joey Barton - truly he would have been at a top club right now if he wasn't such a tw*t lol
Totaldribble 2 years ago
Yeah he could still be at City if he didn't knock out Dabo on the training field!
KingHarryKewell (Liverpool) 2 years ago
It's a proven fact that throughout this EPL season, Suarez is seen as a scapegoat - and this article is proven to this fact through the bias.

1. "First came the racism row in which Suarez was accused of racially abusing Patrice Evra. Whilst it is still not known what was actually said, the language used in Uruguay can be considered shocking to outsiders, but the connotations are not always what they are in Europe. Either way he should have known that in this country that is unacceptable. " - And you're taking the word of Patrice Evra, the one who led the dissent in the France squad last year, not to mention charged with *four* separate counts of improper conduct by the FA? There is no proof that Suarez racially abused Evra - Sky Sports said that they didn't get anything, and experts have conceded that they haven't got anything at all. Don't state that Suarez did the deed when there's no proof of the matter.

2. ".... The Uruguayan embroiled himself in yet more trouble against Fulham on Monday after he was photographed giving Fulham fans ‘the finger’ after the game" - All I can say is, how would you react after you've been given flak and crap, and plenty of it, for the full 90 minutes of the game? I'd hardly think that you wouldn't react. He gets paid to play football for one of the top teams in the competition, not get yelled and sworn at. Are you also putting Fulham fans for that game in a positive light? Why would they go out of their way to abuse this quality player? The shame should be more on the Fulham fans for attempting (and succeeding) in creating a scapegoat for that game, not for Suarez.

3. "On the opposite side to that you have players like Cristiano Ronaldo who was, let’s face it, a bit of baby when he first came to England. His strange fetish for rolling around on the grass, making the most out of physical contact and generally crying at every opportunity made him somewhat of a laughing stock at first. That is until he got his head down, trained hard and became the most lethal player in the Premier League" - Are you labelling CR7 now as a role model? Don't make me laugh. You've forgotten that he still has a "strange fetish for rolling around on the grass, making the most out of physical contact and generally crying at every opportunity" - there's the other league known as "La Liga". CR7 may be talented, but not much has changed with him, and he's far from being an angel.

What people forget in verbally attacking Suarez is the fact that a. He has a passion for the game - he will work hard and play hard for those 90 minutes that he's on the field, and always has a hunger for the ball, and be. He's incredibly skillful, creative and a threat (you only need to remember when Suarez made the entire Manchester United defence look like schoolboys for that), and now that Liverpool have that firepower, some teams are becoming rather nervous. And before you start accusing him of diving, perhaps learning that the likes of Nani, Drogba, and CR7 are more professional divers than Suarez, and Suarez doesn't get any special protection from the ref unlike the three players listed above, might change your perspective.

Perhaps this article should be more about the likes of Joey Barton and (in the past) El-Hadji Diouf, who both were and are the real bad influences of football
Brucewlee (Arsenal) 2 years ago
What exactly is he being made a scapegoat for? He is a professional footballer being paid millions of pounds. Fans will be fans. That's why they are in the stands. It doesn't matter how he would feel, he's not supposed to do that. Also Suarez is always full of controversy. Ghana, red cards in ajax, biting shoulder of opposite defender the list goes on. He's a good player and can be better if he stays on his feet, but he really needs to get his $%** together and start acting like a professional
Name me a top player who isn't controversial liek that.... Everyone has controversy.... You prolly done something in your life you are not proud of....

So acc to what you are saying.... If you are paid 1000$ everyday to clean up my garbage, you would just do it even though I keep treating you liek s**t? They get paid for what they do and he does it perfectly fine.... No one can keep takin s**t forever so clam down and get on with your life. Give everyone a new perspective and see how it hcanges your mind
Bynge (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Scholes. Done? Anything else?
"Scholes. Done? Anything else? "

Know your history.

"Scholes is the fifth most booked player in the history of the entire Premier League.... He also holds the Champions League disciplinary record with over twenty bookings and two red cards. Scholes also holds the unenviable record of being the only ever England player to be sent off at the old Wembley, this was for a criminal assault on a Swedish players that left him needing several stitches to a gaping shin wound. "
IHadYouAll (Manchester United) 2 years ago
It's only left for you Santa to hope that Scholes stays "fifth", because Suarez will make some changes in that table before "tomorrow's morning". And I am quite aware that Scholes got booked! Which are probably some shocking news for you. Yes! You are absolutely right Santa! But he does not cough racism, he knows how to apologize while not "speaking enough to camera" and is getting booked while playing over-aggressively (which is standard action in football nowadays). Scholes is a nice guy, and if you still like googling enough and posting here quotes with his bad actions towards public, guess what? I do not remember them and I was watching football for quite a while
Oh because you didn't remember it means it didn't happen? Oh man.... Thanks for making me laugh a bit
@Dan2989 Your comment doesn't make sense as your sense of humor. Bookings happen with every good player, but Scholes never made a racist abuse or showed gestures to the crowd. And more importantly Scholes has nothing to do with Suarez and this article at all. Scholes was a closed figure and have done enough and more to be a person remembered as a legend. Suarez hasn't even apologized for gestures and is been a sad figure for British football in general. So relax and get naked already, this is the only thing that can make you feel useful
I'm sure the Fulham fans are distraught after seeing the middle finger.... They can't believe he hasn't apologized lol. How about you just look up the girl in my profile picture naked.... You sound like a adolescent boy. Did Rooney ever apologize for kicking the guy down on the ground in the Euro game recently? Nope.... FA appealed that.... Apparently kicking players on the ground is only worthy of a 2 match ban
Lets be honest, Yes Rooney kicked the player and he shouldn't have done it but he is hardly guilty of 'kicking the guy on the ground'.... Firstly the player was standing up. Secondly the reason he ended up on the ground is because he went down as if he had been shot (Suarez like overreactions) and thirdly Rooney was very apologetic and walked over to the player to express it. Think about what you actually write before you post it
Lol yes keep defending your player for kicking people    
I pointed out that it was wrong and he didn't do it. Everything else I said is very evident in this video, just highlighting your exaggeration that's all
Truant (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Personally I like to see him play. Does he dive, sure. But he has some great movement and can be a terror for defenses
Somere (Portmore Utd) 2 years ago
I knew there would be a bunch of ignorant liverpool fan defending him. Its not hard to see that saurez is a dirty, cheating, and racist diver. He confessed to calling evra "nigrito" and saying he meant it in "a friendly way". You guys need to wake up and see him for what he is. I don't matter how much you love/respect someone, wrong is wrong
Reina1 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
He's right until proven guilty dude.... Weather what happen we love him, you still luved Cantona when karate kicked s'mone.... Grow up and smell the dog s**t!
Exactly Somere. They're always going to come up with excuses, like he's only hated cos he's good, or other teams fans are bitter because he doesn't play for them. Lmao
Toatsmuhgoats (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I knew there would be a bunch of ignorant Man UTD fans defending him. Your, ocording to your argument, are the same as us Lol. Yes he dives, and he is the only one I have ever seen
Somere (Portmore Utd) 2 years ago
I have seen a few united players dive but none of them were dirty racist cheats
And you know this for a fact Somere that he is racist? Were you on the field when Evra/Suarez exchanged words? Are you in the hierarchy of the Liverpool or Manchester United teams? NO YOUR NOT, Wait till the final verdict of the FA until you start running that large mouth of yours. So us Liverpool fans defending our player means were ignorant?
@Dan2989 you are hot. Can you get naked already before final verdict, because I am tired waiting for your's advance?
Blues1only (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Charmander's getting excited
Partoba (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Of course we defend him bro. Because he is our player. Like you defend your team and player. Even the lawyers defend the guilty one
Chelsearising (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Why are Liverpool fans always such tw@ts? And you can see from the posters' names that they are clearly foreign, bandwagon-jumpers that have nowt to do with the city of Liverpool to begin with. Luis Suarez is a dirty player, end of. This sh1thead has done everything from diving, spitting on players, to even biting. He scored for fun in the Eredivise but his disciplinary record was appalling. He was even suspended for fighting his own team-mate. I'm not even going to get into his actions at the World Cup, but shame on the morons here praising that as sacrifice. Even terrorists claim that they're 'freedom fighters' but there is a clear delineation. Make no mistake, Suarez is a nasty individual with a horrible track record, and I hope the FA investigate thoroughly and give him what he deserves. And lastly, for those claiming that he was reacting to abuse, have you lot ever played competitively before? The first thing you are taught is to ignore antics of the opposition players, let alone the crowd, and rise above it and just focus on your game. This is because in competitive games, you are already in a highly charged situation and these players are assets worth millions to their clubs and not worth the damage caused by them getting wound up by the opposition or rival fans. Obviously, they're taught/trained/indoctrinated to rise above the baiting which all fans do, and focus on their football alone. It's the lowlife dirtbags like buck-tooth Suarez that can never 'rise above' and are reduced to these shenanigans. A talent - yes - but sorry, a legend he will never be
Greattt commenntt.... We are soooo sorry we don't live in liverpool and we are not true fans.... Thanks for the name calling really appreciate it
Let the Chelsea rent boy rant
Whatever point you intended to make, you destroyed it with name calling, comparisons with terrorism, and whatever else you ranted about.

Anything you could say about Suarez, I could just as easily say of the drogba from a few years back. Shouting obscenities right into the camera is far worse than flipping the middle finger of camera. Drogba was one of the worst divers in the league
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
True. I rem Defenders mentioning Drogba's physics made him hard to push off the ball, yet he fell like a sissy sometimes. Lol
@ Ant: well, looks like the FA rightly found him guilty and banned him for 8 games.... No room for racism in the game.... And suarez better learn fast or keep getting fined and banned till he's done...
Hilarious. As if you have any room to talk whatsoever with John Terrys far worse racism trial that will be handled by the police. Did you bookmark this topic to reopen it months after anyone else cared?
@ Ant: When terry is found guilty, he should be treated the same. No nepotism here. Fact is that he hasn't actually been found guilty but punished nevertheless.

Looks like you came back to respond too. Is there an expiration date beyond which discussion of topics are disallowed? Whether anyone cares or not is not my concern, my prerogative is to discuss what I please
FootballForever (Manchester United) 2 years ago
In my opinion, if he calms down and watches what he says he can be a very good player.
I'm not saying that he should let people walk around on him, because that would almost end a strikers chances of being great. Just tone it down a bit and he could be the next big thing in the EPL
3 points to you football forever. He has to learn not to be too selfish, I love his direction and is settling into a side were Kenny can guide him. Just as Sir Alex did with Roo. Eric and Roy. Little Joey did I very graciuos act in supporting the release of the Hillsbourgh papers, we have come alond way come a long way in the premier since then and Hysel all seated stadiums best league in the world a coverage system digtal red button 3D. Can, t wait to hear john terry, s and the debate lol
3 points to you football forever. He has to learn not to be too selfish, I love his direction and is settling into a side were Kenny can guide him. Just as Sir Alex did with Roo. Eric and Roy. Little Joey did I very graciuos act in supporting the release of the Hillsbourgh papers, we have come along way come a long way in the premier since then and Hysel can, t wait to hear john terry, s and the debate lol
Dude, he's not selfish at all, he's usually the one that plays the biggest part in the biuld up of goals. The only times he is selfish pretty much is when he doesn't have any support.
VJay213 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Against QPR, Suarez only started passing the ball once he had scored himself
DerRetter (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Talk about jumping on the bandwagon. I always thought bloggers tried to put forward a different perspective than simply regurgitate content they have read in tabloids.

Somehow Suarez has become public enemy number one. Why? I'm not entirely sure but I suspect that it is a combination of things, one of which being that he doesn't speak English. The have been no real interviews with Suarez since he came to England, the only image people have of him is as the footballer and the pantomine villain created in the tabloids.

I stopped reading this blog half way through as I have read/heard such tripe from 80% of non-Liverpool fans.

But the OP's decision to comparing Balotelli and Suarez shows his distinction between the norm and 'the Other' and being aware that these two names sell papers.

Suarez gives everything on the field for his team. His will to win is incredible and in that respect he is more similar to someone like Roy Keane. But the OP seems more intent on comparing him another foreign lad with a completely different character.

Any footballer worth his/her salt knows that football is 'not only a game'. It may not be more important than life and death for some people, but for others it is. Suarez is always a threat and always gives 100% for both club and country.

People talk about his handball at the World Cup. Was I happy about it? No.... I wanted Ghana to win and was gutted. It made me ask why FIFA has not introduced a law change whereby goals are still given in the instance that a deliberate handball on the line occurs, with a red card still being too. It did not lead me to demonise the player that had helped his country progress.

Just as I have not demonised Messi or Agüero for their blatant handballed goals in La Liga which they both celebrated wildly.

As for the bite and the middle finger, I've seen worse: Alan Shearer kicking Neil Lennon in the head (and flailing elbows); Kevin Davies flailing elbows; Fowler's homophobic antics against LeSaux at Stamford Bridge; Cantona's (justified!) kung-fu kick; Di Canio's push on the ref (Durkin?); Thatcher's attack on Mendes; Vinnie Jones career; Joey Barton's tackling on the pitch....

But all of these were/are 'good lads' or 'great characters'.... Suarez though is something worse.

I suggest that the OP calm down, because Suarez' antics aren't so different to that of a lot of other players.
Good article Deretter, Pro writer for you.... Somere you could have a good career as a sports writer for theThe News of the World, Dail ySport, or the Mirror when Piers was the editor, or the Sun, Liverpool oh Liverpool

Kick4Life - changing lives through football