Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Blind Loyalty At Anfield?
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
If there is ever a man who's transformed papering over cracks and dodging axes into an art form it’s Kenny Dalglish. Despite a campaign that has seen Liverpool tumble away from the top four, fritter away over £100 million on under-par players and become the subject of public disdain during Luis Suarez's racism scandal; still the irrepressible King Kenny remains sitting defiantly in the Anfield dugout. In the cut throat environment that is the Premier League managers have been handed their P45 for much less. Just ask Dalglish's predecessor Roy Hodgson.

Of course he delivered the clubs first piece of silverware in the shape of the Carling Cup and led them to an FA Cup final for the first time in 2006. But that cup success merely distracts away from the fact that he's failed miserably in his task to halt Liverpool's downward trajectory in the Premier League. A club legend if there ever was one the 61-year-old former captain is adored by supporter and it's easy to see why Dalglish is an idol of the Kop. After all during his time in the red half of Merseyside he won 21-major trophies during spells as a player and manager at Anfield.

Under the ownership of Fenway Sports Group it was hoped the Scot's second coming in January 2011 would see the club emulate their successes of the late eighties and early nineties. Working in tandem with director of football Damian Comolli they spent lavishly attempting to bring the club up to speed with the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea. The intention was to herald a new era on Merseyside with some of the country’s top talents in tow. Events haven't exactly transpired as planned and Comolli paid the price, pinned as the main culprit for their blundering in the transfer market and subsequent decline away from the top four. Yet Dalglish faced no consequences despite holding an equal portion of culpability.

Owner John W. Henry and Chairman Tom Werner were only too happy send Comolli packing to the redundancy line but why not the man charged with directing matters on the field? Progress in the last 14-months has been minimal since his arrival and the club has slipped further away from its goal of a bringing Champions League football back to Merseyside. Right now they look a million miles away from even competing with the cream of the continental crop. In all actuality they've gone backwards and sit below Merseyside adversaries Everton. A majority of the blame lies solely at Dalglish's feet. But in a sense it seems impossible for Henry and Werner to dismiss him without facing some form of backlash from the stands.

Fans continue to support their manager despite watching him fail miserably to arrest Liverpool's slide. Even with the club floundering around in mid-table with no discernible way of reaching the top-four and faltering on the field, supporters continue to champion the Reds icon. It's a mystery as to why his decision making has never come into question. His inability to get the best out of £35 million record signing Andy Carroll and £20 million winger Stewart Downing has been seen as his biggest error. Struggling to break down the opposition with a striker struggling for goals and a winger with few assists. It's a one plus one equals two situation that regularly passes the Scot idly by. Whereas Downing should be sent on to feed Carroll the usual credo is for one to replace the other.

Speaking negatively about Dalglish will only result in a hostile retort from the passionate fan base. Such fervent backing would make it extremely difficult for the board to wield the axe and dispense with a man who is held in the highest regard by the Merseyside population. Everyone bore witness to the hostile reaction from Newcastle fans in 2008 following Kevin Keegan's departure from the club. Owner Mike Ashley went from toast of the Toon to public enemy number one at the flick of a switch and didn't dare to step foot in the town whilst supporters bayed for his blood. That level of animosity would be amplified tenfold would the same fate to befall Dalglish in the summer. Perhaps Henry and Werner have taken heed of that.

Put simply the man is an institution at Anfield. It was the fans who wanted him back as manager and that distorted loyalty will see him survive until he's ready to vacate the touchline and settle for a place upstairs. If the board are paying attentions to the desires transmitted from the stands then the club will continue on its downward spiral. Dalglish has proven that his methods and ideologies aren't equipped for modern football and winning the FA Cup will only serve to appease the fan base and paper over another crack.

Blog by Jak Penny

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Prof (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I just think the whole article is rather thin. Rather than explaining HOW Dalglish is culpable in the Reds demise, Jak merely reports the details of the situation in general
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Another boring, regurgitated hack piece. Do you really think Dalglish is solely responsible for dropping Liverpool from 4th to 8th? Rival supporters are desperate to hate him.

I'd be more keen to read a blog about a more pressing issue that is getting ignored. Why did Man United field such a negative, defensive team against City, essentially throwing away the league? Why has Mancini's mind games worked so perfectly against Ferguson and his squad? They have dropped 8 points from the previous 12 available, right at the end of the season. Isn't bringing back a 38 year old retired player into the first team "papering over the cracks" that there isn't a replacement for him?

Dalglish won half a dozen trophies as Liverpool manager last time around. This time, in his first season back, he has already won one, and is in the final of the second in a matter of days.

Please, keep opinions like this to the many plastic United fan blogs, and discuss the bigger issues happening in football
ScouserDan (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Yeah this particular blog piece is worthy of the gutter
Sncsum41 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Don't say that.... I mean, look at Downing's statistics, he's played 30+ games, and not a single goal in the Premier League. Granted he is a winger and the goals won't come as easily, but Dalglish, for all his repertoire could have gotten more out of such a talented fellow. And at Ant, History class is over, Liverpool hired him to get trophies and champions league places now, not before. He's brilliant but the fact is the league position just says it all. The results should have been way better for such an awesome club
Is 8th place, European football secured next year and one or two trophies in the bag the worst result in the world? If you read some of these articles you would think he had sold 90% of the best players and gotten us relegated.

We're playing some of the best, positive football we've played in decades. We dominate matches, 70+% possession. We regularly get 5 times the amounts of shots on target as our opponents. We just cannot put the ball in the net. We have hit the woodwork 31 times. Imagine what an extra 31 goals in a season would do for a team. We've also been on the end of the most incorrect decisions against us in the whole league, tied with Arsenal.

Our defence is excellent. Our goalkeeper is excellent. Our midfield, with Gerrard and Lucas back fully fit is excellent. Suarez, hate him or not, is probably one of the top 20 or 30 players in the whole world. Carroll is improving week by week and has won us several matches recently.

One striker bought this off-season would fix 100% of all problems.

Firing Kenny Dalglish when he is just starting his rebuilding of the club would be utterly ridiculous. People wanted instant success. Trophy. Bang. Done. Want more? Another Wembley final this weekend. I can think of many clubs both above and below us in the table that would love to win a trophy this year, let alone two.

It doesn't matter what Dalglish does, the hate blogs will pour in, the rival fans will jeer and taunt, and nothing less than winning the league will shut people up.

Who is shouting the loudest about Kenny? The people with the most to lose, United fans. With Giggs, Scholes, Ferdinand and of course Fergie himself leaving in a year or two, lets see how that plays out
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
There are 2 matches left you have not secured 8th place. In fact it is so tight that mathematically you have a chance of finishing 13th.

Do you really think that other teams fans are so scared of King Kenny that they want him out to prevent Liverpool sweeping all before them?
Seeing as we've already secured European football and don't need to scrap for that place, the team put out against Fulham was our youth reserves. I'm sure we'll continue to give the bench players a run in the league, because as LFC have said this week, giving everything in the cup at this point is better than ending a place or two higher in the table, this season.

"Do you really think that other teams fans are so scared of King Kenny"

Well, you would admit that it's rival fans are the ones that can't stop talking about him, calling for his head the loudest and discussing his league form while ignoring the good parts like his p10 w9 d1 cup form. It's easy to pick a subset of dates to make a horror story and say "If the league started in January" or "In league home matches".

Lets not forget the hell that Arsenal went through for the first half of the season until they decided to hoof it up to RVP. That saved their season. Look at what Spurs are going through right now. Look at United dropping 8 points from 12 in a season finale.

Yet a blog like this will come out, and everyone will leap on it sagely nodding their heads and saying how true, how true, and how misguided LFC fans are to respect their legendary manager
Blimey the scope for youth reserves is wide these days, Skrtel, Aurelio (Enrique), Maxi, Henderson (Downing), Carrol and Kuyt which if I'm not fully mistaken is all of Kenny's signings save for Suarez?

I think you are also missing the point, rather than trying to deflect the issue to other clubs (there was blogs regarding Wenger and Man Utd's form) surely see this as an indication of the ridiculous strain on managers in the modern game where 5 bad results can put your job on the line.

It is nice that Kenny has the backing he has because if he had been say, Hogdson I fear the story would be different.

Personally I think managers should always be given a chance, especially when it is clear what is wrong. Liverpool have turned to crap because they have nothing left to play for it has been clear for a while that they are not going to make a Champs League spot. They won the League Cup therefore guaranteeing themselves second tier European football next year. So now they cannot motivate themselves to do anything other than hit the bar
Edgar193 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Ant, although I do feel for your righteous defence (I disagree with this article too), I do not understand why you come here bitterly criticising the shortcomings of rival clubs. Half of your argument of why Kenny Dalglish deserves to stay at the managers chair is fueled by examples of failure by other clubs. You should know better. No matter how bad United, Arsenal or Chelsea have done, it is no excuse for Liverpool's negative form.

Please don't get me wrong. I know United are going through trouble right now, but it simply isn't right for a fan to attempt to evade criticism by diverging it to other clubs with trouble. Regardless of how the other teams with high expectations in the Premier League perform, you must admit that Dalglish has not been the Messiah everyone expected to skyrocket Liverpool into the glory days of the 80s
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
After dalglish came in

1.)won a trophy.... At least we have one what ever prestige it might have that does add one in the total....

2.)back to europe at least....

3.)2nd titles may be, players are having belief in what manager has to say, cos since last 2 season we have been watching unhappy dressing room, they might be disappointed this term but definitely not that they would like manager being sacked.

4.)enough players are brought in at least to cover the important players, well they didn't stood up to their expectation but definitely efforts are being made....

So m happy and don't give it a damn to those who think liverpool are one step down....

And most ridiculous thing is people comparing our situation with f*****g roy.... Man those who are making this comments simply don't watch us play.... Records aren't the things that all matters.... We have atleast started playing some good lucrative football....
" I know United are going through trouble right now, but it simply isn't right for a fan to attempt to evade criticism by diverging it to other clubs with trouble. "

Ironically, this is exactly what the original article was
Edgar193 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
How is that so? The article strictly refers to Liverpool's troubles this season and their lack of massive improvement which was somehow promised by Dalglish's return and the advent of Fenway Sports Ventures. No United, no Chelsea, no City here. The reason I am commenting here is because we are discussing Liverpool here, nothing else. I don't understand your commitment to focus on other teams instead of admitting that Liverpool is not where it should be. Please don't take this with the wrong mentality. I know that the teams you and I follow are eternal rivals, but that doesn't mean we can respectfully discuss football objectively
Rubin (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
I have a question for you Jak. Are you a United fan?
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 2 years ago
This is umm.... Groundbreaking. Yet another footytube article on a topic that has been exhausted in the media and which fails to shed any new light on the matter. And I must ask, from where is your sample group of Liverpool fans coming? All the Liverpool fans I know are becoming increasingly disgruntled with our league form, unimaginative signings and know that the blame in large lies with Kenny Daglish. This "blind loyalty" you speak of is respect we have for Kenny, we as Liverpool fans, I can assure you, are well aware of our troubles and have voiced our dissatisfaction after games and through public forums. Aside from publicly crucifiying Kenny like Blackburn fans have done with Kean, which of course is never an option for a man of Kenny's status at the club (and even if he wasn't I feel like these measures are always extreme), what would you have us do if anything short is "blind loyalty"? This article is absolute tripe and really sums up the quality of your typical footytube blog 'insight'
Genralski (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Spot om mate, no the league position is lousy for Liverpool FC but we all know we are close to being are really good side and pushing on
LFC4LIFE8 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
To put it simply.... Liverpool fans are not happy with our form at all, but this does not mean that we will condemn our manager when he has had one season at the club. Kenny came in, we got 5 new players, new owners, new directors and we re-structured our entire team.... It takes a bit of time for all of that to mesh together, to make a successful club. What should we have expected? That this season we would win the carling cup, fa cup, qualify for champs and/or win the league? Right now we have won the Carling Cup, we are in the FA Cup final but unfortunately you are right in that we won't be in the champions league next year. Personally I think that Lucas' injury was a huge turning point in the season for us because the midfield was structured around him. If you may or may not remember, we were just getting into our best form right when he got hurt. You're right though, that was probably Kenny's fault....

For me it isn't about "blind loyalty", it's the fact that we could walk away with two cup victories this season, and are finishing the season with more success then the last.... Or for the past 5 or so seasons previous to this one for that matter. Am I suppose to abandon my managers side because we didn't accomplish everything we aimed to? Or because we are not the traditional force in football that we should be/traditionally are? No I don't think so.... I'm not a Chelsea supporter after all. I will stand by him, and any other manager who brings success to Liverpool and will undoubtedly give them more than one season to prove it.

That's what you call TRUE loyalty, not blind....
BigLittleGoal (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I was just about to offer the same sentiments. Under Dalglish, Liverpool are regrouping and are well on the way forward. For me, the real miracle of transformation by a manager this year has been Arsene. But Dalglish has got some good things happening at Liverpool and his signings are overall quite positive and for the future. Hodgson is a good manager too but he brought in Joe Cole didn't he?
Hodgson brought in Joe Cole, Poulsen, Koncheskey, and sold a few of our best youth. He also alienated a few of our best players (Agger) telling them to just thump the ball up and out of defence no matter what. Agger was dropped from the first team for publicly refusing to play that way.

Ilikeairports (Barcelona) 2 years ago
I'll comment from an outside perspective.... My personal impression is that Liverpool have neither improved nor deteriorated in dramatic fashion since Dalglish took over. They were an upper mid-table team then, they're an upper mid-table team now. I personally find him an ambivalent character (did a whole lot for the club, says some smart stuff, says some less smart stuff) and an ambivalent manager as well (seems to be good at leading the team as a unit, but seems limited at helping players improve as individuals, was less than brilliant handling the Suárez case).

I wouldn't deny the points raised in the article and I couldn't judge the loyalty of the fanbase, or its "blindness". My question is rather whether the decline of Liverpool since mid 2009 could have been stopped by anyone else. Torres is gone, Gerrard looks past his prime, and the Downings and Aggers of this world are not gonna' win you Premier Leagues or even European titles. Even if the transfers of the recent past have been unfortunate, I couldn't see this side play the football of the best Benítez years with a three times better version of Andy Carroll. It seems to me that they lack pace, flexibility, technical skill and creativity on the field when compared to Europe's top teams. I'm no great authority here because I only watch them once every now and then, but I'm usually disappointed because I still remember the Liverpool of the mid-00's which crushed Real Madrid 4-0 and things like that. This current side always looks like a shadow of the team of those days to me.

So basically, yeah, Dalglish is probably benefiting from his legend status, and I can imagine he's not exactly the savior they were hoping for at Anfield. But my impression is that the club has a deeper, more structural problem than just its manager's contributions to Andy Carroll's form
Gerrard4ever (Liverpool) 2 years ago
You really do show how much you do not know about our club. "Downings and Aggers of this world are not gonna' win you Premier Leagues, " Downing is shite and not many will argue against you on that but a whole lot know that Agger is a classy player. The Skrtel and Agger partnership has kept a lot of clean sheets among them and if it wasn't for his injury problems he would be among the top CB's in the world. Also the massive dip in form since the Carling Cup coincided with him being out of the team with broken rib. I really can't understand how you can put him in the same bracket as Downing.

Secondly, we have played as good football, if not better on occasions compared to last couple of seasons including rafa's last season here. This three times better version of Carroll you talk of would change the fortunes massively. If you watched enough Liverpool games then you would know we have created enough chances but not taken any of them on numerous occasions
Easy. I do get this impression that some of you guys are firing wildly from a defensive angle. I have laid the cards on the table, I'm no Liverpool fan or hater and I only watch the occasional game. But since you're coming at me like this, I have not been talking about Benítez's last season but about the seasons before that, up to that great second-place 2009 season. If it is your opinion that Liverpool's current football is on the level of the seasons I DID compare it to, fine. From my angle, I can at least tell that it's not the impression I get when I watch. And it's not the impression the stats would create.

By "the Aggers and Downings", I didn't mean they're shite players. Yes, I'd sign Agger for my squad too if I had to pick. But that's completely besides the point. The point is that these are solid workers who get a team through a Premier League season but not the kind of guys you need to create that spark which every team needs to win the most important silverware. I think you're slightly overestimating Agger but again, the point is much more that if there is no one to replace the version of Gerrard you had a few years ago (again, still very good, but past his prime in my humble uninformed opinion, the odd Everton hattrick discounted) and Torres, then no Agger, Downing OR Skrtel will push Liverpool back to the top.

Maybe you have a point with a three times better Andy Carroll. I remember the Arsenal match for instance to which your generalization in the second paragraph perfectly applies. But I also remember matches in which I would have found it hard to make out the finishing as the main issue and Carroll as the main culprit. And it remains my impression that Liverpool has played too many matches like that to be Top Four or Top Six at the moment. I'm perfectly ok if you disagree but these things also come down to personal opinion at times. I don't need to know the name of Kenny's dog to comment on what I see on the pitch
In your original post you just mentioned the Benitez years, which also includes the 2009/10 season. Even comparing with the 08/09 season, the football hasn't been of much worse quality. Either way, this is purely based on the style of football one might prefer.

Putting Agger with Downing does mean you are saying Agger is shite because Downing is. Even if you didn't mean that I am confused by couple of the points you just raised. Why would you want a center back to be creating a spark? Even if I am overestimating Agger, the Agger and Skrtel partnership has been able to compete with the squads at City and Utd who are capable of wining the title. As of right now, Liverpool have the third lowest goals allowed behind Utd and City. Also Liverpool have allowed their opponents fewer shots on target than any other Premier League team this season (Opta Sports, April 25). If that level of performance can be maintained with an upgraded attack I don't see reason why Liverpool can't challenge for top four at the least with the Aggers and the Skrtels.

Of course there have been matches where finishing wasn't the main issue or Carroll the culprit. But, that doesn't change the fact in a vast amount of matches finishing has been the issue. You yourself admitted you only watch Liverpool occasionally so why can't your impression/opinion be misguided? Surely having watched all the game over the season gives you a better idea of whats going on and maybe the chance to learn the name of Kenny's dog
Well, I did say "decline since MID 2009", hence allowing for Benítez's last season to be included with what I called "decline". My comparison was always with the Benítez team that came back against Milan and squashed Real Madrid

The batching of Agger and Downing may admittedly have been unfortunate; personally, I don't think Downing is shite, I think he's an average Premier League player, hence someone whose being on a team won't win titles. Agger is better, but to me was always no more than a solid defender. However, I do believe your stats and since you watch more than I do, I may be underestimating him myself.

Which brings me to the obvious point that, yes, I may be wrong. My impression may be misguided from selecting the wrong matches to watch; say Liverpool have 18 matches they don't win, and the main issue is finishing in 12 of them and I watch the other 6, then yeah, that's easy statistics. I am merely defending my assertion as being legitimate on the grounds of (what a convoluted sentence) the matches I have in fact watched.

And I am holding on to the idea that Liverpool doesn't merely need to upgrade attack and get someone more "clinical" than Carroll, but that there would have to be a bunch of players whose creativity, vision and influence on the football played goes beyond what an aging Gerrard can offer on his own
Slenderass (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Dude, you say "My question is rather whether the decline of Liverpool since mid 2009 could have been stopped by anyone else. " Erm, frankly, since then Dalglish spent zillions of pounds on terrible ponies. If someone else had been in charge, almost anyone else in fact (ok maybe not hodgson!), you can guarantee that an investment of that magnitude would have translated to a vast improvement in our points total. In short, "anyone else" wouldn't have bought Downing Henderson Carroll etc. And I agree with some of the replies on here, Daniel Agger is a fantastic player, dropping Carragher to help nurture a Skrtel Agger partnership is about the only thing I agree with that Dalglish has done. Dalglish is a legend, but the fact is he has spent an absurd amount on a team that has gone backwards. Imagine spending almost double on Henderson or Downing what you sold Meireles for. Deary me. And can I ask my fellow Liverpool fans, stop dodging the issue by having a dig at fans of other teams. If someone writes a blog about Liverpool, why reply by banging on about Man Utd, or whether or not the blog writer is a Man United fan. Yes, ok, there maybe one or two problems with this article, but the jist of what he is saying is true. The only big issue I can see with this article is that he says we are all blindly loyal to Kenny. We're not. You should have heard the BBC 606 phone in the other night, I think one caller out of about ten who were Liverpool fans wanted Kenny out. And I agree. Among the teams who are five or six points better or worse off than us are Everton, Fulham, Sunderland, West Brom, Norwich, Swansea, Stoke. We have spent crazy money! I'm not deluded, I know it's going to take a miracle for us to win the title this decade, but with that amount of money spent we should definitely be around 3rd 4th or 5th, with champions league qualification to play for going into the last game or two. Nightmare
Whoops, in my previous reply I meant to say: One caller out of ten wanted Kenny to keep his job...
MattShort4 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
With a consistent goal scorer playing with Suarez this story would be non-existent. With even half of the 31 shots that went off the woodwork going in, this story would be non-existent. Tops in the league in possession in the opponents half. With a club with as much class as Liverpool have, we cannot use excuses. Results are results. In regards to this article though, the only thing more that Dalglish could have done was lace up his boots and finish the goals for them
I agree with the jist of this mate, but we have to face the fact whereas pre January, you're right, tactics were spot on, 30 shots every game, all Dalglish could've done was score the goals for them. But since then, in addition to failing to score, we have played terrible, often with bad tactics, terrible decisions, such as always leaving out Bellamy and Maxi when our big name signings have so spectacularly underachieved. In fact in all my life, this team in the last few months, barring the odd good performance, has played some of the worst football of any Liverpool team I have ever seen. One question rarely asked in the media though is, considering how brilliant we were playing without scoring pre xmas, and also how good we were at theend of last season, how much of our team's bad form of late has been the result if a chain reaction in events after the Suarez debacle? Did that whole issue, combined with the not insignificant injuries to Lucas and Agger and the occasional defeat then lead to a downward spiral of morale and belief? Part of me blames Suarez for this. Not necessarily for the whole fiasco, but especially the fact that he agreed with Dalglish that he was going to shake Evra's hand. Kenny publicly aired this, and then he contradicted him, leaving Kenny to be lynched in the media for handling it badly, even though the man is a gentleman, a hero in how he reacted after the hillsborough disaster and blatantly hasn't got a bad bone in his body. I wonder how much that issue ruined Kenny's morale and if that in turn affected the players. Because honestly, since then we've been terrible
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
No evidence what so ever? footytube, You don't have to constantly churn out blogs, just wait till a decent one comes along...
UDECHILE (Univ de Chile) 2 years ago
So many of the comments above are rather biased :/
Imic9048 (Everton) 2 years ago
Well, I thought the article was actually pretty good. There were some comments up the top saying keep this garbage to the United blogs etc and stick to the big issues in football like "why Mancini's mind games worked so well against United".... Really? I think Liverpool spending over 100m, failing in the league, and playing like they don't really have an identity is actually quite a pressing issue in the premier league at the moment. Much bigger than trivial mind games between Mancini and Ferguson....
I realise they won the Carling cup and they are in another final but they really have been pretty poor and I agree with the writer that Daglish should take a big part of the blame. Maybe he's not cut out for 'modern football'?
Anyway, I await the assault from Liverpool fans (and I am not a United fan)....
Ah, but you are an Everton fan! Only joking, I hate the stupid "Are you a United fan" line of defence that tunnel vision football fans (not only LFC fans, in our defence) use when they can't accept a solid argument. I agree with you wholeheartedly
Jeganx (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Been a liverpool fans for 22 years, and not a single league trophy. You ask me, if I ever want to be another club fan? I tried and it didn't work, you will lose the meaning of loving a club. Once you love a club, no way you can easily change to another. Loving Liverpool is more than loving a wife (in a good way). In my next 60-80 years (hopefully I can live that long) I will see Liverpool knocking Manutd off their perch. Now that is faith. No loyalty needed. I will support my team as long as I can and I always hope the best team win in every match, hopefully that team is Liverpool.

Think positively, this is a process that we must go through. With positive attitude we will get positive result.

My only regret is the Hillsborough tragedy, I wish it didn't happen and Kenny didn't have to leave
Seems to me the vast majority of replies here from Liverpool fans serve to prove the point of the article.

Which is the faith put in Dalglish is based on his past not his present. If any other manager had spent like he has and slid so far away from not only the title but Champions League football there would be placards calling for his head.

Yes you have won the Carling Cup and yes you are in the final of the FA Cup and you will cling to that but everyone knows the real indicator of the growth of your team is in the league.

The stat about hitting the woodwork more than any other team is a good one I also like the one that Roy Hodgson has the same amount of league wins at Anfield this year as Kenny has.

So rather than simply throw the toys out of the pram as soon as someone dares to question your club try and think about the question which in this instance is "Is Kenny the man to take you forward in the modern game? " And when answering that question try to ignore (hard to do) what he has achieved in the past
"Yes you have won the Carling Cup and yes you are in the final of the FA Cup and will cling to that". Name me one club in England, from any league, that wouldn't want to be in the final of the FA Cup. It's easy to dismiss the accomplishment of cup finals when your team gets knocked out. Suddenly, they don't matter.

Everyone's talking about how far Dalglish has slid the club. A single place in the table? Two perhaps? That, with almost an entirely new first team playing their first season together. Downing, Suarez, Carroll, Henderson, Coates, Enrique, Bellamy etc etc.

"Is Kenny the man to take you forward in the modern game? ".
Yes. He has already secured us a place in Europe next season, one or two trophies already this season, and with the signing of one more established striker, we'll be set
Glad you are happy.

I am fully aware of how Cups are only important when you are in them. We (the mighty Premier League Saints) won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy 2 years ago and it was fantastic, the following year we got dumped out early doors which was fine as it was just a mickey mouse tin pot.

Also if you are after a striker Saints have one, 1 year in the championship as top scorer he is English and a Liverpudlian! Yours for a mere £40 mil
Ant, he's right. We've were good without scoring pre January, and we've been shocking without scoring since January. How much have City spent every year since the Arabs came in? About 120 mil every summer? Something like that. And each season it has translated to an improvement in the region of twenty points to their final league position. We might not have spent as much as city, but we've spent way more than anyone else and have played awful football lately. I believe I heard yesterday that between them Carroll, Henderson, Downing and Adam have scored 7 league goals between them this season. One good attacking midfielder should get you at least ten on his own. They are awful signings. So what if it is their first full season together. Newcastle have assembled a side with less than what we paid them for Carroll who are also in their first full season together, players like Davide Santon, Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse and more. They have around twenty points more than us without a positive net spend. If Hodgson had overseen our spending spree and the resulting league form you and me and everyone else would be enraged. Yes the FA cup is good, but it's the league that counts. We have been beaten at home by teams we should be thumping with that amount of money spent. We are surrounded in the table by teams like Fulham, Sunderland and West Brom, with Everton above us, who have spent practically zero. Any team in the top 4 should be hoping for a good cup run alongside their good league position. We can't justify our league position by referring to our good cup run. We beat United in the last few minutes in the fourth round, and we came from behind to beat Everton at wembley which was nice, but that's two games. Also beating Brighton and Stoke on our way to a final that we lost and played dreadful in hardly justifies spending over a hundred mil considering we have won only 5 games at anfield this season, and we have a manager who hasn't the balls to drop our big name signings even though they all play awful and we have had usually consistent performers like Bellamy and Maxi on the bench. Shocking season. Over a hundred mill spent under Dalglish and the hard fact is that we are facing our worst league finish since the fifties. Nuff said
KingHarryKewell (Liverpool) 2 years ago
It's quite typical for people to laugh and sneer at Liverpool's plight, as well as questioning Dalglish and questioning whether he's the right man for the job, questioning his tactics, questioning his signings etc.

If we're going to question managers, why not question Arsene Wegner while we're at it? Despite gaining a relatively good position in the table most years, and yet still no trophies to show for it, consistently losing it when it counts. Does anyone question Wegner? Does anyone question their players? Are Arsenal fans guided only by blind loyalty to their manager? No. In the same way, people shouldn't question Kenny, or the Liverpool fans, or say that we're so deluded. Fergie didn't win the Premiership in a season - give time for Kenny to rebuild and do his work at Liverpool. Stop questioning him or the fans - at least we're loyal to our manager.

There has at least been some improvement for Liverpool despite the continuous hitting of the woodwork - 1 trophy, hopefully 2 by the end of the weekend, and we're in Europe next season, albeit the Europa League, but it's progress. Improvement takes time, it doesn't take just a season to define someone.

Please don't post drivel like this on a site like footytube
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
You won't have to cast your mind back very long to know that Wenger and his team were questioned earlier in the season some Arsenal supporters were calling for his head. Arsenal were criticised in many articles like this one, they responded with 7 straight wins and climbing back in to the top 3. Also you may want to note that Wenger is currently on course for a 15th straight top 4 finish in the league. Their bad form was short lived and therefore so was their criticism.

The thing is far fewer Arsenal supporters responded by claiming there was some sort of global conspiracy against their club and that a critical article must therefore be drivel. There is no conspiracy against Liverpool, and if you think 5 home wins in 18 is fitting of a club with Liverpool's stature then maybe it's the expectations of the rest of the world has of Liverpool that have remained high and those at Anfield that have dropped.

When you're a big club people expect you to do well in the league, when you spend massively those expectations are raised further and coming 8th or lower is simply not good enough. Many less legendary managers, have achieved greater things with far fewer resources and not hidden behind the number of times they hit the woodwork or the strength of their squad to excuse it, Roy Hodgson's Fulham come to mind as does one David Moyes.

So for as long as you spend £80m a season and come 8th expect more of the same, and in the opinions of almost the entire population of the planet (outside of Liverpool), that is not good enough. Those people are entitled to air their opinions, just as you are, without being called names or told they must be morons just because they don't share your views. And in fact I salut them for saying what they think when they know of the inevitable wrath they will incur
2 cup finals + 1 cup + returning to europe....

8th in the league despite spending millions....

Definitely 1st one is what I see.
Kingharrykewell - Don't bring Wenger into this. Irrelevant. I can assure you there are many blogs all over the internet discussing him, not to mention football phone ins every weekend. Let the Arsenal fans discuss that. Let's look closer to home. We have spent a bonkers amount of money and are facing our worst league finish since we were relegated in the fifties. Newcastle have as many new signings as us that cost less than what we paid them for the pony and in their first season together they have around twenty more points than us. Moyes has spent nothing and his team is above us. We are surrounded in the table by teams like Fulham, West Brom and Sunderland. Unacceptable. Wenger, Man Utd, good blog, bad blog - irrelevant
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
At last, some sense being spoken!
Soundslikefail (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I suppose it makes sense to me to stop caring about your league position once you've secured European football next season, and yes, I would have loved Arsenal to win a trophy this year, but it doesn't change the fact about the decline Liverpool is in. Not just from last year, but ever since Liverpool managed that excellent second place finish, basically. Winning one cup is a great achievement on paper, but in reality, less so. A laboured win over a team almost twenty places lower is not the kind of victory Liverpool should be proud of, and be basing the success of their season on.

So, good on Kenny getting Liverpool back into Europe where they belong, but unless he manages to arrest this slump by the start of next season, they won't be there very long...
Schoty91 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I would just like to comment on something.... After reading all the comments on here, I think it is futile for us to defend our current situation. I by no means agree with the criticisms of Kenny that supporters from other clubs have expressed. I simply want to state these are tough times for our club, we are in transformation phase which has stagnated due to some unfortunate incidents (Lucas injury, Suarez suspension to name a few....). I love my club and always will, but I will concede that Kenny and Co have a lot of work to do this summer if we are to return to the great heights that we have always aspired to - with or without winning the FA this season.

Should Kenny be sacked? I don't think so. There have been many occasions (lost count) this season where his tactics have frustrated me but I also understand that the squad has entirely changed from the previous year.

So to my fellow Reds fans, don't worry too much about articles such as these, enjoy watching our boys play for the rest of the season. To everyone else, you have not seen the last of liverpool fc.... It may not be next year but it will definitely not be far away
When club is finally coming back to its feet why is it so that liverpool fans are not criticising kenny as much as others are....

Does liverpool plays good compared to last season? BIG YES

Does they have enough bench strength compared to last season? YES

Have they created more chances then last season? YES

I mean why are we under so much of the scrutiny every time, we already won a cup, yes the cup which people now a days think is of no importance but come on participating in three tournaments and reaching in 2 finals....

Beating man city and chalsea in carling cup, beating man utd in fa cup I mean its not like we had a piece of cake winning or reaching finals in either of the tournaments.... Yes our league form have been awful but that does not mean we have to overlook what kenny have brought to the team unity and team spirit, hunger for titles.... How many times have you seen liverpool participating and taking every tournaments seriously.... Not certainly since half a decade....

When was the last time that we had enough players that can make it to the fist team, when we had lost lucas and gerrard for almost half the season.... M not making an excuse cos we have already spent 100 mn pounds but come on unless you experiment you can't know what you are upto and every manager have the track record of bringing in players and not delivering it to the expected level.... That does not mean kenny is the man who made blunders.... We where under so much of the transition so many players where being brought and where getting sold.... But finally we are making our way out of that s**t hole that hodgson made and went away....

The only thing that m not happy with kenny is he sometimes chooses too awkward squad, some late substitution that's it.... But when you look at the bigger picture of what he is trying to bring back to this club of football then those things doesn't matter....

Plus we always had some player complaining under last 2 managers benyoun and riera where not happy with rafa, johnson and agger almost left the club under roy.... Not this time every one is happy though disappointed with their performances but certainly there is no breach in the relationship with the manager....

All in all I would love to have dalglish at least for couple of season b4 I even think of sacking him and I think by that time every one of us will get our answers....
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
I came in with the intend of saying the same 3 questions, -"
Does liverpool plays good compared to last season? BIG YES

Does they have enough bench strength compared to last season? YES

Have they created more chances then last season? YES"

And I agree with them all.

The main issue this latter half season is that the team concedes almost every single time opponents take a shot. Regardless if its a pot shot from far, or cross and hit, Liverpool got nailed every single time you bet that the defence should get there first. I know how fans might be saying Agger and Skrtel are the best pairing and that Carra is being phase out, the point here is knowing how untidy the back four have been, and that Agger(being unhealthy so often) is not someone you should depend on. Next season, they need to source for someone to do the job in the middle, sort out the defence, think clearly with their available resource, should they play deeper to help their defse? Or Get someone mobile and technical so that they can carry on dictating possession upfront.

And apart from the stupidly blind support that Dalglish afforded Suarez, I say Dalglish have done well in the dressing room. The support for him is still obvious. The players run for him. If you know your manager have the support of the team, he should stay.

And coming back to the 3 questions that you answered. Liverpool are doing good, but they really need to put some faith in Carroll, and stop leaving Suarez as the main man as he can be put to better use as a second striker or inverted winger with his ability to ghost past defenders.
Now these are the points to be discussed I mean the problem is technical and about players being used in right formation.... And instead of dalglish being questioned about his future he should be questioned when is going to play the players where they really belong....

I really think that players are never to be blamed if they are not used in right formation....

1.)carroll being played, there are no quality crosser in our squad apart from aurelio and gerrard, gerrard did what he can do but aurelio can certainly make carroll change his dimensions and he can make him more lethal, and I have been crying to play him since he got fit.... So where are the players who can deliver quality crosses....

2.)wingers, bellamy plays on left and downing on right WHY? Will they ever deliver good crosses with their unnatural feet....

3.)defence was a huge question when season started and completely agree with what you have said we need some stability in back 4.... And for that I would say when we started so badly in pre-season friendlies, always leaking goals I meagerly had any confidence but I really appreciate the way they have picked up since then, , but then our concern is to get back to top 4 so not good enough anyway but I really think coates needs few starts and prepare him for playing regularly, need one big center back I guess one will be brought anyway cos carra is fading with time quickly....

Also wanted to elaborate a bit on "Liverpool got nailed every single time you bet that the defence should get there first" well I wouldn't say that we have been the best at defending but we are 2nd in conceding least goals this season, though this problem looks bigger cos we really haven't scored, everything comes in the end to hitting THE crossbars AND creating chances which ended UP doing nothing.... But certainly if we are counting carra out of equation(which he certainly will in few seasons) then we need one defender....

We need some edge upfront someone like torres you know who can share the responsibilities with suarez cos suarez creates and he has to score all by himself, instead we needs some one who can really poach the ball down....

So some changes are needed some more signings are required and one more season I guess and stability will come along....
So you are saying that Kenny is the right man for the job BUT he is playing all the players he bought, out of formation or not giving them the support they need?
You seem to know best Matt, lets leave it at that
List of what we lost the day roy stepped in?

Playing horribly, no formation at all just playing like headless chickens player loosing their interest in managers players LIKE f*****g koncehsky AND poulsen CAN proudly say they where once part of this football club.... Players in the dressing room threatening to leave the club.... And its a big deal for new manager to settle this things down.... Which dalglish passed with flying colors....

List of what we gained gained when dalglish stepped in?

1.)started playing good, players like suarez and enrique where signed young prospect in the form of coates came in, players like flanno, robinson, spearing got nurtured....

2.)title came back never the less(please don't retaliate yes it was carling cup).... Hopefuolly 2nd in making

3.)gained some bench strength....

AND THIS I SAY IS THE f*****g 1ST STEP toward being better AND growing ON TO THIS....

Now comes optimizing the things which has been quite a headache what players to play and how to play.... So my complaints are about these things.... Which compared to the first problem is negligible.... And I expect us to come good in next season....

It takes bit of time to make the things stable and that holds the key for the future success, so if people are calling us to have blind faith in our club then that's their problem and I would suggest them to be a liverpool fan for a second and then think....

All what liverpool fans want is to have continuity and stability and kenny is red to the core that guy will serve this club passionately and he is a winner by himself....

I hope I have made my selves more clear....
Just wanted to add 1 more point on the signings of downing and carroll....

As I saw someone comparing downing and young, young already scoring and proving himselves worthwhile that is bcos he went to the club which has been served by the manager for 25 long yrs that means things are smooth as silk, where as liverpool where desperately digging deep to make their mark this season and thus I say if players where not able to make their mark then as I said b4 stability IS THE problem.... Let dalglish reach that phase(2-3 season I say) let him implement the things he wants to then we'll talk about failure and success of the player being signed....
Juno, a lot of the untidiness in the back four has been down to protection being offered by the midfielders. Lucas' injury has been a big factor this season as we didn't have a replacement of his quality. Also a lot of the losses and goals we have conceded recently have come during a period Agger was injured. Like you said, we probably shouldn't be dependent on Agger but this year his injuries have been broken ribs. They haven't been muscle injuries which kept him out in the past so I am more optimistic for his availability next season. The major fault in the defence has been inclusion of Carra by Kenny. Coates should have really been given the game time to improve.

Other than I agree with everything you said, its good to know there are still people who can still see the positives instead of the just the negatives in a awful league campaign
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
@Gerrard4, sure its ribs this year, but the past couple of years? Agger has gone missing chunks of the league every single year. That's bad for the team, because he's deem the best of the lot right now. Like I said, if Liverpool can only pray hard for his well-being without buying some "insurance", then it will be the same scenario next year. And while Lucas injury has shown us another issue in this Liverpool squad - there's no one in the squad as good as him in breaking up play and protecting the backfour. That means getting backups.

Attacking wise, they might just be awfully unlucky this year. Next year, everything might just fall into place. Have faith in Carroll. He a very good target man - strong, able to hold up play, set up plays. Playing Suarez who's not exactly a target man in the centre is just weird. All the more weirder is that the squad has a lot of crosser, very few through pass champions(except Gerrard), so from where I'm looking at, having Suarez on the flanks cutting in with Carroll keeping the defenders busy make sense. I really do hope Dalglish puts a bit more faith in this fella

Kick4Life - changing lives through football