Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Barton’s Gone And Happily Forgotten
Footytubeblog (Blog) 3 years ago
Now that the dust has settled and Joey Barton has swapped stripes for hoops it’s time to take stock and look at whether Newcastle have made a horrible mistake. Personally I didn’t bat an eyelid when news broke that Reverend Joseph was on his way to join Neil Warnock’s Loftus Road ‘revolution.’ I remember him stringently stating that his next move would be to a Champions League team. Maybe there were some crossed wires and he actually meant Championship.

As a Newcastle fan I’ve endured all sides of the Barton persona. When all is said and done I’ll admit that when focused on the field he is nearly on par with the best midfielders in the Premier League. Not quite the best (Joey might disagree) but certainly pushing at the top of the ladder. At times last season he was simply magnificent and the lifeblood of a side that was decimated by injuries and boardroom unrest. Despite all this I’m not really bothered about him becoming the latest name to pack his bags and pass through the St James’ Park revolving door.

Whilst Barton proved to be an influence on the pitch last season, causing some idiotic fans to label him a legend, it was his first good season in four years at the club. The previous three years were laden with passionless performances, injuries and of course his infamous spell at her Majesty’s behest. Those glaring problems were pushed to one side in the last campaign. Even his punch on Morten Gamst Pedersen was forgot and forgiven because of what he was producing on the field. This summer Barton went to new levels and in my eyes hammered the final nail into his coffin. Using twitter he decided to vilify owner Mike Ashley and the rest of the board for their transfer philosophy and failure to offer him a new contract.

He played right into the hands of the Geordie fans making him an anti-hero against Ashley and the rest of the hierarchy. That didn’t wash with me. It’s common knowledge that he rejected a new deal because it didn’t reach his demands despite himself declaring that he would take a wage cut. That wasn’t the case and his agent confirmed this when interviewed by the press. The twittering continued and then the rant at Leeds in pre-season just showed what kind of man Barton is and why I won’t miss him. For all his attributes on the field he’s still an erratic character and his whining about not being captain or being allowed to take corners was pathetic. His musings online, demands in the boardroom and destabilising presence in the dressing room threatened to tear the club apart and increase the divide between boardroom and fans.

I felt for Alan Pardew having to deal with this idiot after enduring a difficult summer in charge. I have no doubt in my mind that if Barton had stayed at the club it would have proved to be a catastrophic burden on our season. How can a team, especially the new lads, share both a field and a dressing room with a man who has openly denounced the clubs transfer dealings? Who would want to play with a man who thinks he’s a cut above the rest? Who wants to play with a hypocrite? The Gervinho incident on the opening day against Arsenal was another pathetic indication of just what kind of man Barton actually is. Remonstrating with a man who dived then taking a tumble himself to get him sent off.

I honestly don’t know where Barton gets off thinking he’s some kind of god up here after ONE good season in a Newcastle shirt. Is he worth a four-year contract at £65,000-a-week? Kevin Nolan certainly wasn’t and neither is Barton. Whilst many Geordie fans will disapprove of this I’d like to commend the board for having the stones to actually stand up and stick to their principles and make an example of Barton. He disrespected them, the club and its fans with his childish outbursts. Whilst I may miss Joey Barton the footballer it’s his off the field behaviour that dominates the headlines and constantly drags Newcastle United through the mud. For that reason alone I’m happy that he’s moved on - let Warnock deal with him now.

Blog by Jak Penny

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Hardstone (NE Revolution) 3 years ago
I feel that this was a good move for both clubs. Barton can try and start fresh, if he's mature enough (I don't think he is). Now Newcastle players and fans won't have to endure the second stupidest haircut in the Premiership. Win, Win

PS Fellaini = stupidest haircut
Luuandrew2 (Everton) 3 years ago
Good article Jak. Once Barton left, Newcastle played their best game so far this season in that win over Fulham.

I was first skeptical of signings like Cabaye and Obertan, but they've seem like good ones so far
Peteko 3 years ago
Barton was an important factor to Newcastle during the last season and I came to like him. He is an entertaining character. I may start watching QPR games, because of him.

I think Pardew has been protective of him and genuinely liked the guy. I saw the way he defended him after the last match against Arsenal. Maybe it was a good move from Newcastle to get rid of him, but I suspect that it was money that decided the move, not Barton's skills or his on and off the pitch antics. Had he agreed to what was offered to him, Pardew and the club would have kept him at least for one year or two
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
I don't think joeys the worst player in the world, infact if he wised up a bit he could play for a decent team, but its his onfield and offield attitude that's the problem, I have no worries about his ability to play football, theres loads of worse players in the epl, but as I said, you take a chance with the attitude
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Vinny jones was a similar character, but believe me, vinny was a better player than he was given credit for, ok he was slow and might have kicked a few, but one thing vinny jones never did was give the ball away, he was ok
Peteko 3 years ago
Ha, I wonder what other career plans expect Barton after his retirement
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Regardless of his attitude Barton is a good player. Some of his Newcastle team-mates are currently regretting his departure to QPR, he was a key player no doubt
Adookoo (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I am particularly weary of the fact that we, Arsenal, will have to play him more than once this season after the opening day issue. Imagine the adrenalin that will flow when we meet QPR and every other person is on the pitch? Strange.... But I like the guy's guts!
Peteko 3 years ago
Oh, nothing will happen. Barton is the epitome of the short-fuse, but he is quick to apologize and make amends. Remember when he punched Pedersen. He then charmed him with a heartfelt apology and all was forgotten. I think they had lunch together later (not sure if make-up sex was involved as well)
Hardstone (NE Revolution) 3 years ago
Did you see when he made up with Saha? I might even say that was weak on Bartons part. Saha was trying to end his season. I would not have forgiven that
Peteko 3 years ago
Well. That's Joye for you
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Interesting article Jak and the responses are mixed one thing every body agrees with is Bartons got no lack of skill its just when and whether he bothers to implements it.
I think in the dressing room he'd just cause to much commotion so I tend to agree with you that your better of without him.
And he forgets that Newcastle stood by him when he got sent down that's support you can't buy. I don't think Fergie would of put up with it or many other managers/club for that matter.
Would be intersting to know what other geordies think about the article?
MancYank (Manchester United) 2 years ago
If I were Warnock, one of my conditions in Joey's contract would be binding agreement that Joey would not use any social media. I feel like the Dad telling his kid to finish his filet mignon because children in Africa are starving when I say, " Joey, shut up and play football because there are millions of men who aren't good enough for the pros"!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football