Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Are Modern Footballers 'Soft'?
Hittash (Liverpool) 3 years ago
No they are not  
FootballForever (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Something I find odd is that on my 14 year old select team, we take a elbow to the jaw, get our knee stepped on and guess what? We don't stand there with our arms flapping in the air like a freaking penguin trying to fly! We get up and get the ball. Oddly enough, Ronaldo the flightless penguin is getting paid thousands. So in by opinion, all footballers aren't getting soft, just some (like the certain penguin mentioned above) are. I like the suspension idea though, might work really
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I think 98% of the posts on this thread are missing the point, soft is about physical strengh, diving, falling over and winging for f**k all is summed up in one word cheating!
And the pity is that footballs full of them, even when the world cup or somethings on you hear all the people who don't normally follow football talking about how the most players spend more time doing drama than playing football !
I think physically the difference is in the training now, the modern players train much more and are much more finely tuned so they cover a lot more ground in a match and at a higher speed ratio which itself leads to more injurys, on top of that players get commited even when they're injured so don't get enough recovery time Look at Torres he got played dead at Liverpool and it'll take another year before he's back at his best.
Add to that the top players only get a break once every 2 years and then the breaks only about 6 weeks at the most, something has to give somewhere !
Jeremyliu122 (Leeds United) 3 years ago
I always wonder what players are taught these days, but I suppose since cheap tactics have been introduced, there has been no shortage of fake injuries and players constantly falling over.
Players aren't encouraged enough in modern society. Young prodigies are given ridiculous contracts and we seem to prematurely heap praise upon anybody half decent, footballers don't need to work any more, they get everything handed to them, they get to live lavish lifestyles from something that's essentially a hobby to them, they are not going to understand respect, professionalism and humility.
Of course, I may be generalising, but this example keeps cropping up in today's football, they are all primadonas who appreciate very little
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
100% agreed. I couldn't have said it better myself
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
The rules of football tend to punish players that are hard(tough tackling) in games but there are barely any rules that penalize soft players that dive and go down after the slightest of touches
Dustmybroom (CSD Xelaju Mario Camposeco) 3 years ago
I think todays players are stronger, faster, and healthier then previous players for sure. I think for anyone out there that has played the game at a relatively competitive level, you'd know about all the things that go on that refs, fans, and commentators never see. The 50-50s, corners and crosses into the box, goal kicks, and those legal tackles that happen at neck braking speeds all happen at a higher level and intensity then they did before. It is a very, very physical game. Unfortunately, given that each game is played at such a high intensity, players will go so far as to feign injury in order to gain advantage, and boy is that a piss off. But ya, they are pretty tough dudes out there.

That being said, pretty sure I could take busquets, dani alves, and pedro in a thumb war...
Ltm017 3 years ago
The bigger you are.... The harder it should be for you to fall. Yes they are soft
BigD123 (Wolverhampton Wanderers) 3 years ago
I don't even think this question needs any debate - the answer is yes

I suppose I should justify my point though

Tony adams, vinnie jones, keown, old puyol, that guy who played with a broken leg and scored. Robson played with a broken back. The whole of the argentine football team '66. Players who use to play with blood soaked shirts and bandaged heads. = hard

Pussy players who go down at every oportunity roll on the ground in agony and appeal to the ref for reds = soft

I know the rules of the game don't help as they effectively penalise hard players but the majority of footballers these days are as soft as.... Well you know what

Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
It all depends on the footballer. You have modern players who go down easily and others who don't, standing on their feet and keeping it real (Messi, Ronaldinho, Tevez, Gerrard....)
Gonufc (Newcastle United) 3 years ago
I think you'll get a lot of criticism for gerrard there. Messi is a weird one, best in the world, no doubt, almost always tries his best to stay up and keep going but still sometimes rolls on the floor in pretend pain and almost always goes to the referee and demands cards- just like most of his teammates. If Guardiola truly believed his players were proffessional and sporting (and not cheats) then he would demand them to stop immediately, he quite obviously does not. Managers should take responsibility and pride in the game and demand their players don't do these things- but they don't because it often works
I agree that their is still good players out their who want to play the game the right way but there is lots of bad sporting activity coming in to the game- diving, asking for cards, going down easy, and all this injury play acting it really winds me up. Ithink this is why why the barclays prem is the best in the world because its harder and more honest but even it has been tainted in the last few years
Gonufc (Newcastle United) 3 years ago
I think there are two big problems which enable/ encourage this:

1. Referees don't often award a free kick unless the player goes down. Falling over is nothing to do with if something is a foul or not (nor is whether injury occurs) and it just needs referees to be as strong as they can be. They are also pathetically weak with booking for dives and UEFA are the worst of all: retrospective punishment doesn't seem to exist for on-field events- apparently talking about something is worse than doing it.

2. "There is the contact.... ". Contact DOES NOT automatically equal A FOUL. I hate when pundits study slow - mo footage to find the moment where a defender kicks David Villa's bootlaces and then proclaims: "There! See it?!? " as if to purify the dirty deed.

It is cheating. Not gamesmanship/ streetwisdom or any other stupid apologist term. IF you are playing tennis and claim a ball was out when you know it was in, is that cheating? Of course. It is lying to gain an unfair advantage
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Football players nowadays look for every opportunity possibly to fall down or pretend to fouled after the slightest of touches. And unless the refs start giving out more punishment for acting and diving it will continue after all if the ref doesn't believe them then there really isn't any punishment(unless it's a blatant dive) and they can try again
There is too much laxism regarding the issue from the leagues disciplinary commissions, it's difficult for referees to make the right decision within a few seconds. So, players should just get an automatic suspension for diving/faking an injury based on a post-match replay showing evidence of the incident.

Former PSG winger Fiorese got banned for 2 games by the French League's disciplinary commission, for diving during a game against Bordeaux back in 2002.

Link: www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-96569409.html
DaRosso (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Yeah man that for me is the only way to stop this nonsense, suspend the offending player and no one else will want to do it!
Badartist (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Real Madrid 0-2 FC Barcelona – The Post Mortem: Tale Of Three Losers – Real Madrid, FC Barcelona & Football

Link: www.thehardtackle.com/index.php/real-madrid-v-fc-b...
Jimmybreeze 3 years ago
Are apples fruits?  Are teeth eating implements?  Are noses for breathing?
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Are barcelona players dirty chests?
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Now let's not be hypocritical, Nani is as guilty as anyone with the dives and acting to the referee to get calls. And I think it's unfair to generalize and say Barcelona players in general are dirty cheats, look at that video above, Messi doesn't dive. I mean Manchester United have had two of the worst in the game, in Ronaldo and Nani, but I don't put all my eggs in one basket, that would be an insult to the likes of Giggs and Scholes and Rooney
And there's actually been some studies coming out claiming apples are vegetables
It depends on certain players in particular who tend to go down easily or fake an injury like Busquets or Pedro. Other footballers surprisingly do that too in certain situations, where it is purely intentional, the player would deliberately let himself go down, simulate a foul or exaggerate in order to earn a penalty or get the opponent sent off (Dani Alves).... And it is quite sad to see players cheating like that to win a game. Robinho is one of them too, I really like the player, especially when he pulls some of his tricks, but I recently noticed that when an opportunity to earn a penalty or a FK comes, he would dive (Inter vs AC. Milan).

I don`t think it`s about being soft, the problem is the player, the mentality, the intention.
Werobbin (Barcelona) 3 years ago
This is the first instance I can think of that Pedro has acted like this. Busquets, of course, is a repeat offender. I won't defend his or Pedro's actions, but everyone seems to be talking like this is the last straw for Pedro, when it seem like the first one to me...
Ya many are soft, but the best player in the world is a beast and strong and hates going down, you can see he is always trying to stay on his feet looks like he is swimming sometimes or something. Messiah will lead modern football out of this darkness haha, just kidding, that is another reason I love Messi though, always fighting and scrapping, never diving.

Love this video, got some fresh beats as well

Can`t watch the video right now, but I can definitely mention that Messi does not have time to act like a girl on the pitch. That`s one of the things I like about him besides his talent. Physically, he`s getting stronger, enabling him to win more challenges against his direct opponents
Zhudayong (Barcelona) 3 years ago
He's truly a blessing in the world of football. And the most amazing thing is the fact that physically, he's not even the strongest out there among those strikers yet he's clearly the one that falls the least!
Yeah messi is alright he always trys to stay on his feet and lets face it he is more dangerous on his feet than on the floor rolling around like a pussy, this can't be said for alot of players
Rockerr (Liverpool) 3 years ago
When you go down for the slightest touch you can say the modern players are soft but when you go down when you are not even touched, you can't say they are soft.... Maybe astute?!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football