Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Are Modern Footballers 'Soft'?
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
The rules of football tend to punish players that are hard(tough tackling) in games but there are barely any rules that penalize soft players that dive and go down after the slightest of touches
Jeremyliu122 (Leeds United) 3 years ago
I always wonder what players are taught these days, but I suppose since cheap tactics have been introduced, there has been no shortage of fake injuries and players constantly falling over.
Players aren't encouraged enough in modern society. Young prodigies are given ridiculous contracts and we seem to prematurely heap praise upon anybody half decent, footballers don't need to work any more, they get everything handed to them, they get to live lavish lifestyles from something that's essentially a hobby to them, they are not going to understand respect, professionalism and humility.
Of course, I may be generalising, but this example keeps cropping up in today's football, they are all primadonas who appreciate very little
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
100% agreed. I couldn't have said it better myself
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I think 98% of the posts on this thread are missing the point, soft is about physical strengh, diving, falling over and winging for f**k all is summed up in one word cheating!
And the pity is that footballs full of them, even when the world cup or somethings on you hear all the people who don't normally follow football talking about how the most players spend more time doing drama than playing football !
I think physically the difference is in the training now, the modern players train much more and are much more finely tuned so they cover a lot more ground in a match and at a higher speed ratio which itself leads to more injurys, on top of that players get commited even when they're injured so don't get enough recovery time Look at Torres he got played dead at Liverpool and it'll take another year before he's back at his best.
Add to that the top players only get a break once every 2 years and then the breaks only about 6 weeks at the most, something has to give somewhere !
FootballForever (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Something I find odd is that on my 14 year old select team, we take a elbow to the jaw, get our knee stepped on and guess what? We don't stand there with our arms flapping in the air like a freaking penguin trying to fly! We get up and get the ball. Oddly enough, Ronaldo the flightless penguin is getting paid thousands. So in by opinion, all footballers aren't getting soft, just some (like the certain penguin mentioned above) are. I like the suspension idea though, might work really
Hittash (Liverpool) 3 years ago
No they are not  

Kick4Life - changing lives through football