Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Are Modern Footballers 'Soft'?
Matt (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
We have all seen it the player goes over after the slightest touch flies six foot through the air lands rolls five times then thrashes about on the floor in apparent agony.

Or there is the player that refuses to play because he is allergic to grass or has a bit of a tummy upset.

Footballers in the 70's and 80's used to play with a leg missing.

Or is that really the case? Are footballers injuries these days just under the microscope more do we only hear about players playing with an injury in their memoirs so that managers can keep it quiet?

Well in this weeks podcast brought to you by Football Fancast, Razor and O'Reilly give their insights to this issue with studio guest Alistair Griffin.

They also discuss third party ownership, the size of Bernie Slaven’s head and there’s a rare chance to hear Razor singing live as he provides the backing vocals to Alistair’s cult tribute to Mark Viduka.

If you have any questions you would like to ask Razor or O'Reilly then let us know and we will forward them.
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Can you ask them to mention me in their video? My name is pronounced    Aye-um
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
They are most def soft. They go down to easily. They roll on the ground when theres minimal contact. It is really annoying because the roles of defensive mids is more tactical and technical instead of physical.
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Yes they have become soft but you have to mention that the public and referees have allowed this to happen
Ltm017 3 years ago
I agree! When you are watching a match all you hear is "he made the most of it" or "he did touch him".... Really its common practice and you can't blame footballers if they go along with it
BigD123 (Wolverhampton Wanderers) 3 years ago
Yes you can blame them that's the whole point, football is a game of skill it was never made for some of the stuff we are seeing now people asking for cards and rolling around on the floor, going down at the tinyist touch. It a disgrace to the game and it needs to be stamped out
DaRosso (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Yup agreed it is disgraceful. I honestly feel that alot of players have lost their passion for the game, its become less about football and more about money and fame it is really sad to see, it just goes to show how many true footballers are out there I mean watch anyone who really plays wit passion they get tackled and are straight back up and chasing the ball again not rolling around
Juguar (Barcelona) 3 years ago
They're not soft. Modern-day people are sick and tired of seeing the thuggish style of play that Leeds United started. We don't want thugs. We want skill, intelligence and artistry. Not broken teeth, fractured skulls and severed tendons.

That's why Barcelona has the support across the world. They can play physical. As you noticed, they do not back down from a fight. Never. But it is so much better to win artfully. But we will fight if we have to. Its just that the world doesn't want us to. The world wants to us to play the beautiful game
DerBomber (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
You just hid the true fact that youngsters today are soft behind the cloak of "art". We live in a debouched world now, we're just gonna' have to accept that young people are weaker than our past compatriots. So diving is just part and parcel of the game. Live with it
Braylann (CA Boca Juniors) 2 years ago
Juguar is correct. And sometimes players have to act hurt and pretend it's worse than it is because the ref will let it go. Defensive roles are more thuggish.... Look at Real Madrid.... Awful. Look at what happened to Messi in the Copa America against Uruguay. He couldn't even walk by the end of the game.

No point complaining unless video technology is used once and for all. If not, then everyone needs to stop complaining because more cheating comes for fouls that are let go versus feigning
Juguar (Barcelona) 3 years ago
This sums it up.

Barcelona's Gerard Piqué was predictably unsympathetic to Real Madrid's complaints. "Before going down to 10 men they hadn't played any football. When you play with fire, at the limits of violence, you get burned. "

RM had been violent for too long. The refs finally (and belatedly) enforced the rules
Mongol99 (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
You barca fans are stupid
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
What does this have to do with football players being soft?
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
They are violent but they are not dirty cheats
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
By that logic then, every EPL team would have resorted to diving when playing against stoke and other smaller teams
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
What an idiot. Only a stupid bandwagon Barca fan would say something stupid like that. There's a difference between playing phyiscal & being an absolute brute. The refs are the ones to blame. They act like it's their first day on the job. La Liga is a league of pussies and stupid refs. That's why Barca & Madrid are the only 2 teams that ever win anything in that country. Players are not at fault here. It's the Refs fault for not making the right calls and not having any backbone. As a Ref, how are you easily persuaded and convinced by the players? Do they not know the rules? What a bunch of retards. They're equally if not dumber than Barca fans
Werobbin (Barcelona) 3 years ago
@Mongol99,

You see a comment from one Barcelona fan that honestly does not paint the whole picture, a comment that is based solely on his love for the team and not for the less attractive side of it (which is understandable and he doesn't insult another squad directly in doing so), and rather than pointing out the bias in his comment, you say "You Barca fans are stupid".

That's when you lose all credibility and the stupidity is transferred to you.

I've seen countless Madrid fans, Man UTD fans, etc say biased things, rude things, and downright terrible things on here, but when you project the opinions of one fan onto the entire fanbase, no matter the contents of that fan's post, you miss the point completely. Every team has intelligent fans and idiotic fans. I don't necessarily mean to call out Juguar here, but rather mean to point out that several responses to his post deviate from what they mean to say (which is noteworthy) toward slanderous comments (which are not)
Braylann (CA Boca Juniors) 2 years ago
Wow.... Let me tell you from someone who isn't a Barca fan.... But they are right. Julio, La Liga teams like Barcelona and RM are better than most other teams.... Just a fact, not because of the refs. What you're saying is irrational.... "bunch of pussies and stupid refs. " Teams like Villeareal, Valencia, Espanol, Bilbau would compete with the highest ranked Italian or English teams any day of the week. No one can say that the ManU vs. Barca champions league game was won by a bunch of pussies. It was won by a team that far outclassed ManU
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
When I said "pussies" I meant the officilas not the players. Diving and fouling are part of the game. The refs are the ones who are suppose to control that. La Liga has great players & talent no matter what team. What I was trying to say is that everytime Barca or Madrid play it's like they tend to F*** up more than usual. It's almost like they're too scared to make a call against them and when the Clasico comes around.... Well, we've all seen what happens. But, then again after the last world cup I can also say that officiating in general has been lacking. I have never seen so many horrible calls than in the 2010 world cup. Players pick up on all the slack and take advantage of it. It's not their fault, atleast not from my point of view
Rockerr (Liverpool) 3 years ago
When you go down for the slightest touch you can say the modern players are soft but when you go down when you are not even touched, you can't say they are soft.... Maybe astute?!
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Ya many are soft, but the best player in the world is a beast and strong and hates going down, you can see he is always trying to stay on his feet looks like he is swimming sometimes or something. Messiah will lead modern football out of this darkness haha, just kidding, that is another reason I love Messi though, always fighting and scrapping, never diving.

Love this video, got some fresh beats as well

Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Can`t watch the video right now, but I can definitely mention that Messi does not have time to act like a girl on the pitch. That`s one of the things I like about him besides his talent. Physically, he`s getting stronger, enabling him to win more challenges against his direct opponents
Zhudayong (Barcelona) 3 years ago
He's truly a blessing in the world of football. And the most amazing thing is the fact that physically, he's not even the strongest out there among those strikers yet he's clearly the one that falls the least!
Yeah messi is alright he always trys to stay on his feet and lets face it he is more dangerous on his feet than on the floor rolling around like a pussy, this can't be said for alot of players
It depends on certain players in particular who tend to go down easily or fake an injury like Busquets or Pedro. Other footballers surprisingly do that too in certain situations, where it is purely intentional, the player would deliberately let himself go down, simulate a foul or exaggerate in order to earn a penalty or get the opponent sent off (Dani Alves).... And it is quite sad to see players cheating like that to win a game. Robinho is one of them too, I really like the player, especially when he pulls some of his tricks, but I recently noticed that when an opportunity to earn a penalty or a FK comes, he would dive (Inter vs AC. Milan).

I don`t think it`s about being soft, the problem is the player, the mentality, the intention.
Werobbin (Barcelona) 3 years ago
This is the first instance I can think of that Pedro has acted like this. Busquets, of course, is a repeat offender. I won't defend his or Pedro's actions, but everyone seems to be talking like this is the last straw for Pedro, when it seem like the first one to me...
Jimmybreeze (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
Are apples fruits?  Are teeth eating implements?  Are noses for breathing?
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Are barcelona players dirty chests?
Now let's not be hypocritical, Nani is as guilty as anyone with the dives and acting to the referee to get calls. And I think it's unfair to generalize and say Barcelona players in general are dirty cheats, look at that video above, Messi doesn't dive. I mean Manchester United have had two of the worst in the game, in Ronaldo and Nani, but I don't put all my eggs in one basket, that would be an insult to the likes of Giggs and Scholes and Rooney
And there's actually been some studies coming out claiming apples are vegetables
Badartist (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Real Madrid 0-2 FC Barcelona – The Post Mortem: Tale Of Three Losers – Real Madrid, FC Barcelona & Football

Link: www.thehardtackle.com/index.php/real-madrid-v-fc-b...
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Football players nowadays look for every opportunity possibly to fall down or pretend to fouled after the slightest of touches. And unless the refs start giving out more punishment for acting and diving it will continue after all if the ref doesn't believe them then there really isn't any punishment(unless it's a blatant dive) and they can try again
There is too much laxism regarding the issue from the leagues disciplinary commissions, it's difficult for referees to make the right decision within a few seconds. So, players should just get an automatic suspension for diving/faking an injury based on a post-match replay showing evidence of the incident.

Former PSG winger Fiorese got banned for 2 games by the French League's disciplinary commission, for diving during a game against Bordeaux back in 2002.

Link: www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-96569409.html
DaRosso (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Yeah man that for me is the only way to stop this nonsense, suspend the offending player and no one else will want to do it!
Gonufc (Newcastle United) 3 years ago
I think there are two big problems which enable/ encourage this:

1. Referees don't often award a free kick unless the player goes down. Falling over is nothing to do with if something is a foul or not (nor is whether injury occurs) and it just needs referees to be as strong as they can be. They are also pathetically weak with booking for dives and UEFA are the worst of all: retrospective punishment doesn't seem to exist for on-field events- apparently talking about something is worse than doing it.

2. "There is the contact.... ". Contact DOES NOT automatically equal A FOUL. I hate when pundits study slow - mo footage to find the moment where a defender kicks David Villa's bootlaces and then proclaims: "There! See it?!? " as if to purify the dirty deed.

It is cheating. Not gamesmanship/ streetwisdom or any other stupid apologist term. IF you are playing tennis and claim a ball was out when you know it was in, is that cheating? Of course. It is lying to gain an unfair advantage
I don't even think this question needs any debate - the answer is yes

I suppose I should justify my point though

Tony adams, vinnie jones, keown, old puyol, that guy who played with a broken leg and scored. Robson played with a broken back. The whole of the argentine football team '66. Players who use to play with blood soaked shirts and bandaged heads. = hard

Pussy players who go down at every oportunity roll on the ground in agony and appeal to the ref for reds = soft

I know the rules of the game don't help as they effectively penalise hard players but the majority of footballers these days are as soft as.... Well you know what

It all depends on the footballer. You have modern players who go down easily and others who don't, standing on their feet and keeping it real (Messi, Ronaldinho, Tevez, Gerrard....)
Gonufc (Newcastle United) 3 years ago
I think you'll get a lot of criticism for gerrard there. Messi is a weird one, best in the world, no doubt, almost always tries his best to stay up and keep going but still sometimes rolls on the floor in pretend pain and almost always goes to the referee and demands cards- just like most of his teammates. If Guardiola truly believed his players were proffessional and sporting (and not cheats) then he would demand them to stop immediately, he quite obviously does not. Managers should take responsibility and pride in the game and demand their players don't do these things- but they don't because it often works
I agree that their is still good players out their who want to play the game the right way but there is lots of bad sporting activity coming in to the game- diving, asking for cards, going down easy, and all this injury play acting it really winds me up. Ithink this is why why the barclays prem is the best in the world because its harder and more honest but even it has been tainted in the last few years
Ltm017 3 years ago
The bigger you are.... The harder it should be for you to fall. Yes they are soft
Dustmybroom (CSD Xelaju Mario Camposeco) 3 years ago
I think todays players are stronger, faster, and healthier then previous players for sure. I think for anyone out there that has played the game at a relatively competitive level, you'd know about all the things that go on that refs, fans, and commentators never see. The 50-50s, corners and crosses into the box, goal kicks, and those legal tackles that happen at neck braking speeds all happen at a higher level and intensity then they did before. It is a very, very physical game. Unfortunately, given that each game is played at such a high intensity, players will go so far as to feign injury in order to gain advantage, and boy is that a piss off. But ya, they are pretty tough dudes out there.

That being said, pretty sure I could take busquets, dani alves, and pedro in a thumb war...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football