Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
A Blessing In Disguise?
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
Wayne Rooney is banned for three games and the whole football fraternity goes into meltdown as to how England is going to cope in the Euros without the nation’s apparent talisman.
Of course I shouldn’t be surprised by the nature of the reaction; I mean the press react to anything, but their widespread opinion that all is lost without Rooney says everything you need to know about our nation and why this country continually fails at the world stage. The naivety astounds me, but in my view his banning could well prove a blessing in disguise.
Jose Mourinho eloquently put that individuals don’t win football matches or trophies and it is all about the team. I couldn’t agree more and if this nation and its manager adopted a similar theology we may not have failed as terribly as we have on the world stage. From Keegan all the way down to McClaren we have seen managers’ intent on trying to adapt systems to accommodate individual players because they are seen as the best in their respective position. It has proved an unmitigated disaster over the years and the lack of a Plan B has subsequently cost this country dear.
Wayne Rooney is an excellent footballer for Manchester United undoubtedly, but let’s be honest how valuable has he been to the England team over the years? He isn’t overly prolific on the international stage, has a history of kicking out in frustration, hasn’t performed in the big tournaments and yet the nation is predicting our downfall due to his suspension. Maybe I am missing something here, but maybe we need to change things around in order to get a better performance from the rest of the team. It could well be that England aren’t blessed with the same players that bring the best out of him in club level, in much the same way Argentina don’t bring out the best in Messi; but should you continue to persist with it in the hope that it eventually pays off?
You could say Fabio Capello, like his predecessors, has failed Rooney in failing to gear the team towards getting the best out of him like Fergie does, and maybe that is the underlying source of his frustrations, but the next few friendlies and group stages gives England a chance to find a new attacking formula and more importantly one that we hope can yield us greater results. Remember Geoff Hurst wasn’t in the same league ability wise as Jimmy Greaves; but no one can ever question the former’s influence in the team that lifted the World Cup in 1966.
Will Rooney’s absence prove a blessing in disguise, or are we as a nation lost without his presence?

Blog by Jason Harper

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
PaoloG (Sevilla) 2 years ago
Yeah, Rooney's one heck of a player, but England's far from lost without him. There are active strikers with far better international records than his - Peter Crouch, anyone?
[account-removed] 2 years ago
I agree with you 100%, but you see, you support Sevilla and I support Inter, in other words they are not english team so I doubt and e English fans would agree with you, they are too stubborn to understand that he is JUST another player. There are enough strikers in England to replace this guy
Gomrunz (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Yes there are active strikers but that doesn't mean to discourage the player. We all do mistakes and we learn from it so will the rooney. Although he has not performed well internationally but still I believe there are plenty of days, years left for him to prove and show the world that he is the one.
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
That's laughable and stereotypical. This site may have an abudnance of bias towards the Prem and most things english, But I am sure most people know that Rooney isn't that centric to England.

Tanmay 2 years ago
Let me say this in the nicest way possible. England is not going to win with or without Rooney. I don't hate England at all. It's just that there are many teams which are much better than England (Germany, Spain, Netherlands for sure, Italy and France depending on their form)
Gomrunz (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Yeah there are better teams but anything can happen in this beautiful game
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
Most sensible English people will happily admit that we won't win a major tournament any time very soon, with or without Rooney, but to suggest that we should just give dreaming is and hoping and talking about it, no matter how unrealistic it may seem is not very football now is it!

Try telling that to the Greece supporters!

But I do agree with the author, I'm not at all annoyed that he's out, at least now we'll have to develop a plan be. About time too
Humza7 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I know this isn't what this thread is about but it just dawned on me that being an Arsenal supporter is just like being an England supporter. You know you have the talent but it just doesn't work. You keep expecting your team to turn up and challenge but it doesn't happen. At least England's best players can't transfer to Spain. Lol
Sdfrick (Everton) 2 years ago
Yes, good example: Crouch just emphasises the point about being able to perform on different stages, I agree - excellent scoring record for England, but at home he's quite average. I see Rooney as being the opposite - brilliant in the EPL, but a bit lackluster for his country.

Wellbeck. Sturridge. Young. Bent. Defoe. Carroll. Downing. Agbonlahor.

Sorry, what were we talking about again? ...
Zigarillios (Ajax) 2 years ago
No country can think of winning the cup if their whole system revolves around one individual. Good for you England that Rooney is out of the pictures, perhaps this will force the team to think as a team and not put their hopes in the magic of one man
OmarTheMan11 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
England always waits for excuses like come on your not gonna' lose because rooney is out you idiots fabio cappello is just not the right manager for a team like england
OmarTheMan11 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Plus if you see rooney's video he barely even touched that players leg like man come on I'm pretty sure it didint hurt that much and I don't know why Euro is making a big deal out of it like just because rooney did it doesint mean they gotta' ban him for a long time
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Its a longer ban than what La Liga gave that douchebag Mourinho for assaulting one of our coaches on the pitch, seems rather harsh to give out 3 match International ban
Oatbag (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Right or wrong, I think rooney's history has a lot to do with it. He's red faced kicker like a childhood bully. He apparently can't help himself. I think the ruling is fair (top players don't do that, grow up wayne) and as the article says, likely a saving grace.

That said mourinho's eye thingy was nuts. I still don't understand what was going through his head
Ltm017 2 years ago
Didn't managers in the EPL say he Rooney is the best player england have and they can't do without him. Apparently England can't win without Rooney. I guess they should know. I'll believe the hype when I see it
Scottie (Manchester City) 2 years ago
Yes ok, nice blog - as it happens though, England e. G. The F. A. Pick players that sell image and media rights and command respect on the global stage, wether or not they are playing well or injured or suspended, Rooney will sell the english game more than any other player in the squad, that is why the English team is picked the way it is and has been over the last decade, fit or not.... The F. A. Love the sales.

Rooney will go to the Euros if the F. A. Have their way, he is a marketing phenomenom, our best chance of profit (cynic)

Is Jason Harper an alias for Stan Collymore?

One thing that is noticeable, is all the talk about Rooney being Englands best player, the thing is - he's not, Joe Hart is, a magnificent goalkeeper, a truly great shot stopper, for every Rooney that goes off the pitch, Hart grows another pair. Our unsung mature goliath of a hero that is and will be Englands best keeper since Peter Shilton.

Forget - Rooney Rooney give us a wave(from the stands) Rooney give us a wave....

It's going to be more like....

Joe Hart Joe Hart thanks for the saves, Joe Hart thanks for the saves

Englands No. 1
Vishal024 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
The article makes a valuable point, Rooney has inhibited England with his temper, inconsistency and hideous face. Defoe and Crouch or even Bent would make a better and more cohesive partnership up front
Vaishnav (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Blessing in disguise lol never.... I think england can really cope without him because rooney hasnt really play the way he did for man utd.... England got good players they just need to find the right tactics
Juventusfc (Juventus) 2 years ago
Rooney is defiantly needed if England are to go anywhere near the EURO 2012 cup. With Italy, Spain, France, Germany and Holland all looking to it England cannot make any mistakes. To me it seems that England rely heavily on Rooney and since Rooney cannot control his temper so they must have other strikers to look to. Many of the questions I hear on the news is Can England do it?

I think they can but they must stay focused
Ilovefootball (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Its a pity not to see him in the group stage. Rooney, why you no clever?!?!?
Ali20 (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Trust me.... Have you guys seen sturidge nad webeck lately? They are hungry to probe a point while some are comfortable.... >!! Too comfortable.... Heskey and crouch are finished.... Bent and defoe hungry 2 !.... But I hope capello trys the yungster combination of sturidge and welbeck....

Cleverly in midfield.... With gerrard....
Young on the left and adam johnson on the write.... (adam johnson is better than walcott and AJ is not short of pace!)

Smalling Cole Terry and Jones at the back.... Give the younger legs a run becuase the older established guys have failed!!
Oatbag (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Yeah best of luck, really, I want to see good teams out there. Which is why I don't mind Spain as much as I would if they weren't a single unit. But england should focus on a national team that isn't trying to be BPL allstars. And train up some more coaches and kids like the continentals!
Aljaber1986 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
England's team needs a better manager for them to start competing in world stages. The team has sooo many big names and a lot of potential from the youngsters. Rooney is a great player and I'm a big fan and he started this season big ! His ban is definitely a biiiiig lose to the team and no one can deny that.

We're Uniteeeed 19
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I think the new crop of youngsters will maybe come through for the world cup but until then forget it.
The new kids have taken on the change in football that is bieng shown to everybody by Spain at international level and Barcelona at club level, possesion is 9/10's of the game, precision in passing, hard work and intelligent thinking.
The present generation of english players don't come up to the grade, they can do it on the club level but that's because ther backed up by other european/african and S. American stars.
So by the time the likes of Sturridge, Welbeck, Wilshere, Cleverly and Co.come through then Rooney might have one last crack at the big one !And then he'll be complimented by players with the same caliber of thinking & playing skills
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Well, that would take the pressure off Rooney (which he obviously often strugges to handle) and he can come flying into the tournament when England are through the group stages!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football