Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
10 Things We Can Expect From The January Transfer Window
Vishal024 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
A stupendous article to be absolutely truthful. F*cking spot on. I'd also like to add:

Arsene Wenger rejects all rumours and ideas regarding a potential move for a player and ultimately the player is purchased at the very last minute of deadline day and is viewed smiling with his shiny new gunners jersey alongside Le Prof himself
Rabish1 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Seems like nobody knew about Link: images.google.com/, This is Michael Owen. Hint: Save the Sneijder pic in your computer and upload in given website. You will see your result. Simple
FaisalP (Chelsea) 2 years ago
AIG. Lol is it that easy to see that this is fake
Honestabe (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Are you absolutely SURE that sneijder hasn't been transferred and we just haven't heard about it yet? .... .... .... .... .... Lol
FaisalP (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Sneijder would go to manchester city    That all ways happen in fifa 12 carrer mode
Honestabe (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Every time i've started a new career mode in fifa 12 david silva and yaya touré are always the first to leave city and they go right to arsenal and arsenal in return send jack wilshire and bacary sagna immediately. For some reason I find that disturbing. City becomes the arsenal team of 2010!
Jinmeister (Arsenal) 2 years ago
LOL funny observation about fifa.  I play as Arsenal of course, and I see real madrid and chelsea just swapping teams.
Bootman (Manchester City) 2 years ago
For me silva is always immediately purchased by barcelona, and man united offers insane money for kolo toure. Lol
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Ozil and Modric always joins Man Utd. Nani always joins Spurs. And for some odd reason Carlos Tevez ends up at QPR (WTF?)
There are probably also going to be a lot of panic-buys from clubs on the deadline day
GHOST001 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Made me LOL, seriously made my morning. Great writing
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
Here's a new one for you. QPR to be linked with hundreds of players that would cost their entire budget and then end up signing one or two that no one else wants for under £3m
Youneke (Barcelona) 2 years ago
PHOTOSHOPPED!
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
We were reliably informed this was a genuine photo, I cannot begin to tell you how stupid we feel. Rest assured no stone will be left unturned until we can get to the bottom of this travesty
It is a disgrace to see that you believed that picture. You can see the photoshop look around Sneiders head. Also there was no news of this he would be in a Manchester jersey taking pictures he hasn't even played a while for Inter. Third look @ the jersey, that's a pic of Alex with the youth team and 19 is Welbeck.... They cut out his head and put Sneider head
Pandabeer (Ajax) 2 years ago
Hahaha are your really that stupid Youneke? Sarcasm nowadays is a nasty bitsj in'nit? Wow
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I have just checked my sources and apparently Sneijders head is actually not photoshopped, but Fergusons has been changed to make him look less purple nosed
IHadYouAll (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Ahahhahhahhaa! Well, but look at the bright side.... She is hot!

But this can also be considered as sarcasm as "she" is probably a dude
Julione (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
Bahahah too funny
Fastt187 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Hhahahaha f****n sarcasm love it
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
Youneke, sorry in advance for being rude, but you must be the most clueless person on this entire website. I suggest you open a dictionary and read where it says "sarcasm". It will help you avoid looking stupid in the future
Ladiezman (Arsenal) 2 years ago
You can clearly see that pictures a fake from the lighting on the faces of Sneijder and Ferguson. Sneijders looking all shiny while Fergusons looking rather pale
Ladiezman, what are you talking about, that photo is clearly genuine!
Hughd (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Youneke the real 'disgrace' is how gullible you are
CheMaradona 2 years ago
Sarcasm doesn't translate well in typing, don't be pricks
IHadYouAll (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Ouch! Other Barca fan is here.... I am really sorry for being such a prick, but can you please find appropriate sources to backup this "Sarcasm doesn't translate well in typing" sentence?
Sarcasm doesn't translate well into typing? This thread is just becoming more and more amusing
NAOTA (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Channnnnnnnnnnnnnnnge places *sips tea*
LMAO
Fischi (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Problem is, good clubs playing in the championsleague already have a good squad. They would need worldclass players, and all of them have already played championsleague football this season.
Why would anyone join a relegation candidate? They are better of dreaming about premierleague football the following season and sitting on the bench for half a year
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
The transfer window is now officially open and it brings with it a month of utter madness with rumours and speculation aplenty, as Fleet Street and plenty of websites look to cash in on our utter addiction to what is fondly known as the ‘silly season’ in football. While it is certainly hard to predict who will be going where, and which transfer coups are likely to be pulled off, there are 10 things that you can guarantee will happen in the next coming weeks.

10: Arsene talks the talk, but doesn’t walk the walk – There is no manager better than old Wenger when it comes to building up supporter’s hopes with talk of new signings, before he pulls the rug from under them claiming there is plenty of quality among the Arsenal ranks. Wenger will talk up the likes of the Hazard’s and Gotze’s of this world, but the reality is that none of them will be joining the Gunners in January.

9: Robbie Keane will join his boyhood club – A regular occurrence in every transfer window the Irishman will declare his love of his new employers. Keane should realise that it is goals that supporters want to see, not a fake allegiance.

8: Harry thinks everyone is ‘triffic’ – Almost as certain as Harry sitting in his Range Rover talking to Sky’s Gary Cotterill through his car window on deadline day, is that he will talk up players he wishes to potentially sign. Of course Harry will tell us that he doesn’t like to comment on other club’s under contract players before he delivers his fabled line. Harry also will make it known that transfers have nothing to do with him and it is all down to Daniel Levy.

7: A ridiculous transfer fee paid out – Last January saw the transfer fees border on the ridiculous and if Villa paying £24m for Darren Bent wasn’t bad enough, then Carroll and Torres combined £85m fees did little but underline the feeling of managers that it is a bad time to do business. Expect the same to happen this January with Chelsea and Manchester City being the likely suspects this January.

6: Sneijder to Manchester United – A transfer window wouldn’t be the same without a link.

5: Burning effigies or shirts – You can guarantee at least one will take place, as supporters take advantage of some airtime as a Sky Sports (complete with big winter coat) reports outside the club stadium looking to gauge supporter opinion after the respective horse has bolted.

4: January window criticised – The manager’s favourite line in January press conferences is to bemoan the transfer window and suggest that it is a bad time to do business; although the biggest moaners (Mick McCarthy anyone) end up bringing in 3 or 4 players.

3: ITKs out in force on club forums – ITK’s (in the know) fester on every club forum and generally work on a success ratio of around 1 in 10. They apparently know someone close to the club, or have a relation who works at the hospital where clubs do their respective medicals. The reality is most of them no nothing and brings very little to the transfer table.

2: Sky Sports Yellow ticker goes into overdrive – Expect to see the yellow banner in overdrive this January as SKY attempts to keep viewers glued to their 24hr news channel. They take advantage of supporter’s addiction to a rumour and spurt out a lot of guff; mostly from things they have read from ITKs or things they have heard from their array of half-wit reporters that they have working for them.

1: Disappointment – Let’s be honest the transfer window promises so much and ultimately delivers so little for football clubs. Supporters are left frustrated and in some cases feel cheated by their club’s inability to strike a deal before the 31st January deadline.

Well that’s my 10 and I’m sure there are plenty more you can add to the list.

Blog by Josh Whittle

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Gooch (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Having a transfer window mid-season is ridiculous. It's a way for managers to go back on their plan and make a short term fix.compare this to the MLB, where most dealings are done during the off-season. General Managers are expected to have a plan for the entire season, and don't get a chance to retool if it isn't working. If their plan fails, they must accept their mistake, instead of going back on their word and trying to justify any positives that have come from their short term fix half way through the season
Dude transfer is good in mid-season. Go away with your MLB talk Baseball sucks
That's an incredibly closed minded approach to the issue. Why do you think there is a constant debate about whether the transfer window is good or bad? Because it's flawed. No one complains about off season baseball because it works.

Simply because you don't like baseball doesn't mean it sucks
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Totally agree with youneke, baseball is abseloutly nothing got to do with transfer window so why are you here then? =S
It's a comparison between two professional sports, really not that abstract. It's simply my opinion, didn't need someone to s**t on it without any argument
KingHarryKewell (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I think comparing the likes of all the football competitions globally (EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A etc) to Baseball is not exactly the best of comparisons. They may be both professional sports, but they're different sports, different competitions, different amounts of time in a season, different numbers of teams competing (the MLB from what I can see is in subdivisions, not exactly in one big competition for the entirety of the season), different financial rewards and consequences, different events that occur which may impact a team (for example currently, the African Cup of Nations) and different incentives.

For many football teams, there are the incentives to a) try and win the competition, be) qualify for UEFA or Europa, see) win or go as far as they can in domestic competitions besides the big one (such as FA Cup or Copa Del Ray) or d) stave off relegation or aim to get promotion. The MLB doesn't have promotion/relegation and you're competing for one trophy only really, whilst the average side in the UK are competing for up to 3 domestically alone (EPL/Championship etc, FA and Carling Cup). You then need to factor in that the average player, for example in the EPL, within EPL, FA, Carling Cup and also possibly in Europe will play more games than the average baseball player in a season. It can get exhausting and also leave a player more prone to injury, which can leave a team strapped of resources.

The transfer window midseason then makes sense. Sides are gearing up for the second half of the season, managers sometimes need to change their tactics, especially when the business end of the season comes around, and to push for the desired spots more (or stay away from relegation), and finally, for fringe players to go out on loan midseason to a side that needs that particular player. Sturridge is a good example, being loaned to Bolton for a time, and Arsenal's Frimpong now to Wolves. It gives them not only playing time, but also a chance to get experience, and improve on skills instead of just being a bench sitter. The transfer midseason window may be madness, but it's anything but ridiculous
Fair enough. I'm from Canada, so I've grown up with sports having a single league for all teams, and automatically look at trades in terms of team to team, not league to league. And I didn't take into consideration the different tournaments teams participate in; I was thinking more in terms of one league, one goal. Thanks for your insight
Weezer (Liverpool) 2 years ago
^ if you didn't know our owners own Boston Red Sox so we are linked. Ever so slightly though
CheMaradona 2 years ago
A lot of teams will be losing many players due to the African Cup being played, without this window many teams would have an impossible task at filling in positions. I for one absolutely love the mid season transfer window because it allows teams to evaluate their season thus far. If a team that didn't expect to be doing very well finds themselves in a prominent position, it gives them a chance to support their team for the next half to try and do even better, and it allows teams with injury crisis to get out of them.

In a lot of countries, especially South American countries, the season is split into 2 parts to begin with. I find it odd that the European leagues are year long, especially with all the tournaments going on. There should always be an opportunity to deal with Injuries, fatigue, team morale, and reinforcement
Silvestre (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Gooch, that's why it's interesting, baseball is not comparable to football at all. It's more fluent and all. What the hell is the plan of every manager? Seriously? Anything can happen, so in my opinion it's MLB that sucks balls. January transfer gives chance for managers to reassess things and make things better, which all in all make the whole competition better. Why would anybody be against that? It's f*****g awesome! Plus all that Kewell said, football teams are involved in more championships and the league got multiple layers too. Getting relegated is not in the minds of those MLB managers
General managers absolutely have plans when it comes to player acquisition, and simply because you don't see it doesn't mean there isn't strategy involved. And again, if you want to express your opinion, do it without criticising someone else's view, it only hurts your argument. The MLB isn't as unpredictable as most people think, and coming from someone who's been watching baseball and football for most of their life, strategy towards player acquisition is just as important in each sport
General managers absolutely have plans when it comes to player acquisition, and simply because you don't see it doesn't mean there isn't strategy involved. And again, if you want to express your opinion, do it without criticising someone else's view, it only hurts your argument. The MLB isn't as unpredictable as most people think, and coming from someone who's been watching baseball and football for most of their life, strategy towards player acquisition is just as important in each sport
It's difficult enough to find acceptance when it comes to football in North America, but I wouldn't expect criticism from people who actually have enough of an appreciation for it to sign up for a website dedicated toward football. I was simply putting it in a context which a North American football fan may find insightful, but I was met with elitist comments that attack instead of defend.

Help make football truly a world sport, accept and learn about other people's perspectives, don't immediately dismiss them because they don't match your own
Cbarth270 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
For the record MLB teams can make transfers up to the all-star break and NFL teams can release and sign players for the majority of the season

Kick4Life - changing lives through football