Forums / Fiorentina
Order: Newest / Oldest
Fiorentina Chat
Francocu (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
Bayern's got robben, fiorentina's got robbed
Mastro21 (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Clever
Minadeo (Juventus) 4 years ago
My sympathies. The Viola were hosed. But you got the away goal and hopefully can beat Bayern in Florence.  
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Tough tough break for Fiora. I think I should apply for that ref's job
Mastro, now you still don't want technical review in the game? Both decision (red card and second gol) have been taking by 1 person: the side referee....

What if there was technical review for the second gol?!?!?!?!
No I still don't want it lol  It was never part of the game, it should stay that way
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
Cause you are a cranky ol fart.... Lol...
No because video replay in soccer is gay, no matter who gets screwed lol
Dude.... Don't use the gay thing ok? You can be funny without demeaning.... I have faith in you. Rise above the silly gay jokes.... Besides I don't see you making fun of those two happy looking fellows right beneath my post
I won't use the gay thing again ill choose different words, but to clarify, when I say gay I don't mean homosexual.... When say that's gay, that means more like thast stupid!
Oh ok.... I get it.... Here's one you can use for that: That is so Booba.... Lol...
Hey mastro21, prandelli today in the official conference said that video replay is the only solution
Yep.... Only a matter of time.... Well this is Italy so that " time " will be like in 2020.... Lol...
Ganesh (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
I would love to have the same referees (mr. Ovrebo, mr. Holen, mr. Nebben) in the next match in Florence.

Mi piacerebbe avere la stessa terna arbitrale a Firenze per la partita di ritorno
“We did everything right on the field. We only failed to double up our marking on the linesman. ”
Cesare Prandelli realised too late that Bayern’s 12th man was not the crowd
Awesome!
I knew ud appreciate that
Bout time! Looks like we finally got it together in one game
We are snake bit this year. It's official. The footy Gods have picked Viola to receive zero Footy God love this year. We got robbed of a PK.... And the score should have been 2-1 or at the very least 2-2.... Not so sure Milan would have scored that last goal if we had been given the PK. What do we have to do anyway? Montolivo was grabbed and thrown down in the box. Even the mexican commentators were all over it.... A disgrace really. Once again denied a fair game. Oh well.... That's football. Congrats to Milan for moving back to 2nd place
Minadeo (Juventus) 4 years ago
Wow, what a tough loss. Clearly, a missed penalty. Beaten by Ronaldinho magic; the more Dunga ignores him, the better he plays. If he is not added to the WC roster, I predict he will be walking on water before the season ends. Vargas almost tied it. Looked at the highlights, Vargas has fire in his left foot and in his heart. He can become (is becoming) one of the best players in the world
Prandelli had to play the kids today.... Finally eeked out a draw on the road.... I'll take it! No Gila, no Vargas, and of course no Mutu= no goals and no wins. The kids played hard but they are not that good yet. Jovetic cannot carry a team on his own.... Yet. Donadel is a waste of money.... Truely
Sandra24 (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
Yeah, I agree.... Was happy to get the draw.... Almost the win.... So close! Am looking forward to jovetic and the new guy that I can't say or spell his name getting better and scoring tons of goals for fiorentina!
Anyone know when gila or vargas may be back?
I didn't even bother to write about that bayern munich game.... Was soooo pissed.... I mean that norwegian ref.... Wtf! And since I am both german and norwegian (ancestors were anyway....) it really bugged me.... I mean, I try to be happy for them (there teams/moments) at times.... But that sucked!
Hey Sandra.... Good to see ya. Yeah that Bayern game was brutal. The ref has done that before too.... Makes you wonder if he is related to some mucky muck in the FA. What new guy? Babacar? Gila and Vargas will be back soon. This next game will be a doozy! We beat Juve earlier in the year and they just lost to the Pinkies (Palermo) and they looked horrible doing it too.... So we have a shot at 3 pts on Sat
Thanks.... I needed a break from soccer news for a bit after getting a little peeved....
The new guy (kid, really) Ljajic.... The guy that so many clubs wanted.... I think I recall....
Yeah, I hope that vargas and gilardino will be back on the pitch very soon....
Hope that the viola get a big win on sat!
Ljajic is a good move for us. In fact the moves we have been making are solid.... Our future is looking good if we can solve the Mutu thing and keep Vargas and Jovetic and Gila. The off season will be crucial in terms of what kind of team we field next season.... Experienced or younger. I really hope Prandelli stays but if offered the Italian Nat Team.... I would love to see that even more actually
A little history of my favorite keeper: Sebastien Frey: a diver with a difference
Gabriele Marcotti

Last Updated: February 27. 2010 5:26pm UAE / February 27. 2010 1:26pm GMT
Sebastien Frey is happy playing for Fiorentina. Massimo Cebrelli / Getty Images
When your future has been laid out for you, both by bloodlines and genetics, you want to do something to break the mould, even if it is just superficial.

For Sebastian Frey, this has meant being just that little bit different, whether it be his variety of hairstyles – from platinum blond to yellow dreadlocks to his current shaggy mane – or diving into a nearly empty swimming pool.

“Well, there was some water in it, just not enough.... It felt great while I was in the air, very liberating. It felt less good when I landed, ” he later recalled about the self-inflicted broken clavicle which kept him out of action for a month.

■ Born March 18, 1980 in Thonon-les-Bains, France
■ Position Goalkeeper

Teams
■ Cannes 29 games
■ Inter Milan 37 games
■ Verona 31 games
■ Parma 155 games
■ Fiorentina 156 games
■ France 2 caps

Defining moment
■ April 3, 1999. Inter Milan are muddling their way through another disappointing season. They host Fiorentina, who are gunning for the Serie A title, propelled by the goalscoring feats of Gabriel Batistuta. In goal for Inter is a kid who has just turned 19, Sebastien Frey. He made his debut the week before, coming on for the injured Gianluca Pagliuca. On this day, the much-hyped youngster becomes the first foreigner to start a game in goal in the 100-year history of the club. Frey lives up to the occasion, making a string of crucial saves as Inter sneak to a 2-0 win and crush Fiorentina’s title hopes.
Frey’s grandfather, Andre, was a French international defender.

His father, Nicolas, had a long career as a goalkeeper in the French second division.

There was little question that he would play football, he was just that good.

But having a dad who knows the world of football inside and out can be a double-edged sword: even as France’s big clubs queued up to court him from the age of 13, Frey’s father insisted that his son should stay at little Cannes.

“Let’s wait until the really big fish come calling, ” he would say. Which is pretty much what happened in June of 1998.

Frey had just completed his first full season as a professional, keeping goal at the age of 17 in the French second tier.

Germany were staying nearby for the 1998 World Cup in France and their manager, Berti Vogts, needed an unofficial warm up game.

And so the mayor of nearby Nice put together a side of local teenagers, with Frey between the posts.

The youngster was outstanding as the teenagers lost to Germany by the narrowest of margins, 2-1.

Within a week, Inter Milan – the “really big fish” his dad was waiting for – had signed him.

The plan was for him to back up Gianluca Pagliuca, a veteran Italian international, but it soon became apparent that Frey’s exuberance and athleticism were going to be tough to keep under wraps. He made a nine appearances that first season, quickly becoming a cult hero among supporters.

With the aging Pagliuca on his way out, many called on coach Marcello Lippi, who took over that season, to take a leap of faith and make Frey the starter.

Instead, the future World Cup winner took the “safe” option: he signed Angelo Peruzzi from Juventus and loaned Frey to Verona.

Frey responded with a monster campaign, which saw him named joint-goalkeeper of the year (ironically with Peruzzi).

Inter called him back, sold Peruzzi, and made the youngster their starter. Alas, the 2000-01 season would quickly turn into a nightmare for the club. Lippi was sacked after just one game, the new boss, Marco Tardelli, had rows with everyone and Inter finished fifth, 24 points off the top.

Frey, despite not having a poor season, became something of a scapegoat (not least because of incidents like the dive in the swimming pool, which brought more accusations of immaturity).

Hector Cuper arrived from Valencia and, again, the new boss wanted his own man in goal. In came Francesco Toldo, another Italian international. Frey, still just 21, was sold to Parma, where he replaced Gigi Buffon, who had gone to Juventus.

He spent four years at Parma, witnessing the club’s transition from big spenders to near bankruptcy. Seemingly every season, the club sold their talent.

From Buffon and Lilian Thuram to Fabio Cannavaro and Marco Di Vaio to Stephen Appiah and Adrian Mutu. Frey knew he was on a sinking ship, but he did not care.

He swore he would be the last to leave but Parma had other plans. By the summer of 2005, it became clear the club – caught up in the parent company, Parmalat’s, accounting scandal – would go out of business.

Frey was asked to take a pay cut and move to Fiorentina, “for the good of the club”.

It was a chance to meet up again with Claudio Prandelli, who had coached him at Verona and at Parma. He quickly became one of the symbols of “La Viola”, gaining the vice-captaincy.

They finished fourth, but were stripped of a Champions’ League spot (and penalised heavily the following season) as a result of the Calciopoli scandal, in which match officials were found to have favoured certain teams.

No matter. After a transition year (which saw Frey concede the fewest goals in Serie A), Fiorentina roared back in 2007-08, reaching the semi-finals of the Uefa Cup and qualifying for the Champions’ League.

They repeated the feat the following season, keeping AC Milan out of the top four and Frey, again, played a key role, along with the striker Alberto Gilardino.

Regrets? Well, the big one is that much of his career has coincided with Raymond Domenech’s time in charge of the France national team.

There is a natural antipathy between the two – Frey never appreciated the fact that Domenech called him up seven times before finally giving him some playing time – which explains why he has just two caps.

“But I don’t care anymore, ” said Frey, whose team go into the second leg of their Champions League knockout tie with Bayern Munich with a one-goal deficit later this month.

“i really don’t. Fiorentina are my national team now. ”

Sports@thenational. Ae

I Love this Guy! Always will! Forza Frey! Forza Viola!

Wow!

I didn't really know all of that about frey....
I liked him before and now finding all of this out it makes him even more likable!

Thanks reidscott!

Ellender (Bayern München) 4 years ago
Nice info.  I appreciate it
I have to say I would love to see Prandelli stay at Viola forever.... But the opportunity to take The Azzurri to another WC title is too good to pass up. No one in Florence will ever judge him if he left for the National Team.... He will always be loved there. And rightly so. Blog: Stick or twist?
Cesare Prandelli's departure from Florence isn't inevitable, according to Scott Fleming

Both Italy and Juventus have vacancies to fill this summer, meaning the two biggest jobs in calcio are up for grabs. You'd be entitled to feel rather pleased with yourself then if you were the frontrunner for both positions. Cesare Prandelli isn't the type for self congratulation though.

The Brescia native has done a magnificent job with Fiorentina. When Prandelli took charge of La Viola they were relegation strugglers. In the five years since then he has taken them to two fourth place finishes in Serie A, a UEFA Cup semi-final and the second round of the Champions League.

The former Atalanta youth coach has also proved himself a man manager par-excellence -reinvigorating those who have failed elsewhere such as Adrian Mutu and Alberto Gilardino.

He's clearly an exceptional candidate for both jobs, yet I wonder whether he really should leave Florence, or whether, as some will surely argue, he has to.

There will be those who say that Prandelli's time has come, that now is the time for him to step up to a position of the stature of La Nazionale or Juve. There will also be those that make the point that he has taken Fiorentina as far as he can.
I would disagree.

Prandelli has worked long and hard in conjunction with the Della Valle brothers and Pantaleo Corvino to build something special at the Stadio Artemio Franchi, becoming Fiorentina's longest serving manager in the process. Such a lengthy tenure may seem abnormal or unnatural in the cut-throat world of Serie A, but that's Italian football's problem, not Prandelli's.

And who's to say he really has taken the Gigliati as far as they can go? The experience and income garnered from this season's Champions League adventure will be invaluable, and there's no reason why a fourth place finish should be the pinnacle of their ambitions each year.

We've seen Roma mount a genuine Scudetto challenge this term. Is their squad really any stronger than that of Fiorentina? The Scudetto could become a realistic ambition for the Viola if Prandelli remains.

Lastly there's the special bond Prandelli has with the Florentine fans, who supported him through his wife's passing in 2007. That is something he will surely never forget.

In the end Prandelli may well decide to take one of these prestigious positions. He's certainly earned the opportunity. Nevertheless I, for one, would applaud him if he stayed in Florence and finished what he's started.

---------------------------------------------------

Nothin left to say.... Except that was a clear foul and yellow card at minimum in the box.... Once again we get no footy respect. Prandelli just smiled because he knew this was that kind of year for Viola.... Look for him to exit stage left this summer.... Don't blame him. What was Gila doing? And Jovetic is too young and wild still.... And Vargas was useless today...
This is it! The biggest game in a long time for Viola! I am restless and want them to win so bad.... We can do it. Forza Viola! Come on guys!
A sad day in Florence for all. Viola played as hard as I could ever want them to.... In horrible windy conditions.... And came away with a 3-2 win.... But lose on away goals 1-2. Good luck to Bayern. I hope Inter and Milan do better. This was a great game to watch.... One of the best games this year! I am proud of my Viola! In the midst of a very trying season and after getting screwed by the officials so many times.... To come back and play strong was stellar! I tip my hat to you all! It can be said that you left it all on the pitch tonite.... And I can ask for nothing more than your passion. Thank you for a wonderful year.... Let's finish strong in Serie A!
Solid win! Thank you for not folding up and going home guys! Forza Viola!Fiorentina striker Alberto Gilardino hailed their 3-1 win at Napoli last night.

Gilardino struck twice in the victory.

“This victory has great significance and is one of the most important of the season, ” said the striker. “We were determined and hadn’t picked up many points recently, but today got three in an extremely difficult arena. ”

The Viola had not won in Naples since 1995 and now move to within three points of Napoli.

“We believe in Europe, ” continued Gilardino after an unlucky and controversial midweek Champions League exit to Bayern Munich.

“We had some ups and downs this season due to competing in three different tournaments, but we will give it our best to qualify.

Sorry about the cut and paste.... Looks like Prandelli is re-signing for up to 5 yrs also! Wow.... I am in heaven. If this is true.... It shows the commitment is there for an eventual Scudetto title and continued champions league qualifications.... YES! Now we need to put the pressure on and move up every week.... I am rejuvenated! Viola is back in form!
Viola are Back! Believe it my friends.... All around us are draws.... We have a chance to move up 6 pts in the next two weeks while maybe Cagliari will move with us.... Maybe not. It's looking good right now.... The boys have found their form! Prandelli is staying.... I am at peace with the world!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football