Forums / Feature Suggestions
Order: Newest / Oldest
Thumbs Up/Down For Comments
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I've been noticing that every now and then, you get some really well written comments that address or make some very thoughtful and important points and they also get a really good response from other 'commentors' but soon they are 'buried' under the other one-line comments such as "woohoo yea we won!" which doesn't involve any debate or valid point whatsoever.... So if we could have some sort of thumbs up/down system or even better a "recommended" button that would be great....

To 'quote' from some other sites - the thumbs up/down on youtube still ends up being rather trivial but the 'recommended' button on the guardian website allows well-written, thoughtful comments to be read by more individuals. If we could implement this here, it would be fantastic and would take footytube a step closer to total world domination ;D !
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Believe it or not this is something that gets requested every month. Check out this old topic

Link: www.footytube.com/forums/site-feedback/thumbs-up-a...

(I just searched for the word 'thumbs')

It's one that the staff argue about day in/day out. I think it would be a good idea, but I can see how it might not work on footytube. The problem is that unlike a site such as Youtube, we have a user base that is heavily biased towards a particular team. If Fiji played USA in a International friendly, for example, and someone wrote "I think Fiji really deserved to win this. USA play bad football" (a total randomly imagined quote), well then every USA fan would click thumbs down. The fifty or so Fijians we might have as users would have no chance to do similar to comments against their team.

I guess my point is that a thumbs up/down system is inherently flawed on a site with such crazed fanatics, especially when a lot of them (myself included) take offence to insults against their team.

We are definitely bashing out the finer points of a similar system though, and if it isn't thumbs up/down, it will probably be some other means of conveying that a post is worthwhile
Interesting to know that that was such a popular demand.... And I can absolutely see why the thumbs up/down wouldnt work here.... Ends up being trivial like you said.

But something like the "recommended" button from the guardian.co.uk pages would be awesome! Anyways.... Keep up the fantastic job! Over and Out!
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Thumbs up for requesting
Charliehenry (Verified Legend) 4 years ago
Thumbs up from me
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Yeah I also mentioned this lol
Lumileppardi (Swansea City) 4 years ago
Good suggestion and worth looking into. Ant, I don't think you give footytube users enough credit - I don't believe if a scenario you described happened, users would behave like that. At least not the large majority. If Fiji really deserved to win over the USA and US did play badly, what would be the point of voting a Fiji supporter down (imagining I'm the US fan here, and assuming the comment is not just meant as a provocation, in bad faith)? . If my home country Finland plays like s**t and loses to Liechtenstein and there's a Liechtenstein fan writing 'Liechtenstein deserved to win tonight, Team Finland played like 3-year-olds', well I'm not gonna' vote him down.

But maybe the recommendation feature is better to a YouTube-like up/down-thing.
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I agree with you for the most part, but if you look at any of the major matches, people can vote on how a team performed. Even if Chelsea win 7-0 or 8-0, they still get hundreds of 'rubbish' votes from fans of other teams. The bottom line is even if most fans are reasonable intelligent folk, there are always a core of people that would try to ruin such a system.

I will suggest it to the guys again, because its something I've wanted for a long time on the site. Thanks for the input and reminder
But if we have a 'recommended' feature, only comments that make some really interesting points or that can inspire quite a bit of debate would get the 'recommended' count.

That way, lets say someone posts a comment criticising the Arsenal defence after letting in three goals against Chelsea or Man Utd by saying - "Arsenal were defending poorly tonight. No hustle, no real organisation. Arsenal need some more experienced players!" Then this comment is 'drowned, ' and pushed to the second page by 20 users saying "Woohoo, Go United!" or "Damn, We lost. " The 'intelligent comment' is now buried and forgotten.

Yet if we had a 'recommended' button, we could separate the comments into most recent, and also most recommended, so people can see what were the discussion points in the game, instead of just the one-liner "Yeah! We Won!" type comments
Sorry I was getting quite a bit repetitive there! Alternatively, we could have an agree/disagree button. I understand the logistics difficulties and the limitations of such a system, but in the end.... In footytube We Trust!
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 4 years ago
If this was implemented, I feel like it should be restricted to the recommended post in the thread/section/forum for the day (or couple of days). If it was constantly there, people could be missing out on reading other good posts

Kick4Life - changing lives through football