Forums / Feature Suggestions
Order: Newest / Oldest
Message When Someone Quotes You.
Vika09 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Hey guys,

I tried the search, many possible combinations (tried a few, I promise ), but I was wondering this.

Is there a feature that sends you a small message (in the "Recent Activity") part of the profile that tells you someone quoted you in a thread or video highlights?

If it is, can you tell me how to activate it? If not, is it possible to implement this? It's a little frustrating searching for a post you put up to see if someone quoted you, so that you can reply to them.

Thanks
Umm guys? Little help please?
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I was just going to ask that, but as far as I know, no.
But it would be better to ask a scout (Link: www.footytube.com/profile/Soccergal293 , and tell I sent you, but if she has no clue either, ask the staff.
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
We have no way of knowing who has quoted you? Do you mean who has copied and pasted a bit of your post? Or someone who has pressed reply under your post?
If so, that shows up in the 'recent activity' of your wall, and also in the "updates" section down where it says "X friends online" at the bottom
I never got any updates/notifications when you guys replied to this thread, or when people posted a direct (the little reply button under my post) in other video threads. I don't get anything on my recent activity either.

It's weird.

For the sake of it, could anyone else reply to me on this message, let me check if it comes up
Have a look in the little "satellite" image in the bottom right of the screen, near where it says "X friends online"
Nope, nothing appears. "You have no new notifications"    Is there a setting somewhere that I have to turn on?
Do I have to create a Meebo account or something?
This is rather frustrating. Is there a fix for this?
I'm not entirely sure what you want fixed? You want a message when someone replies to your topics? I don't think this feature is active for anyone yet.

As mentioned, the closest we have to it yet is the notifications indicator in the bottom right which lights up when people write to topics while you are online.

I'll let the admins know someone is requesting a notification service for topic replies, perhaps they will grab a few minutes and build one.

Yeah, Soccergal sort of explains it better.

"Yeah I have been having some trouble too, Its says you have no new notifications right? Well what I figured out is that it only comes when your on one page for a while like say your on a forum reading stuff for about five minutes then within the five minutes you will get a notification. But if you don't click that place when it is highlighted in yellow (that means there is a new notification) before you change to another page it will go away and you won't be able to see it, but if you do click it then it will stay as long as you don't cross it out. But I will talk to some mods to ask them to fix it up.... Oh and by the way a trick I found out is open a footytube page in a new tab and keep it open while you do all your other stuff on another tab and when you want to check if you have any new notifications just go to that tab and have a look. "

The issue currently is (summarising soccergal) is that one needs to stay on the page they posted/viewed to get a notification if someone quotes/replies to that very post/thread.
My request is that it should be like a php/bb forum, where one automatically "subscribes" to a thread/video if they post in it, and then get a notification is someone replies to it or directly quotes you.

I am not asking this for a personal reason, I believe if people are warned/notified about someone who quoted them, it might instil more of a community feeling where conversations can take place (or even arguments )
It's definitely a good idea, and I know the admins (Lee, Matt, Vlad) were certainly considering it. It's most likely on an ever-growing list of "things to do" somewhere, but I have a feeling this topic might bump it up a little in the priorities
Cheers. Great to see admins taking initiative here, I've been on many many forums/communities where admins just put up the cold shoulder to requests.

Thanks again
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 4 years ago
You don't actually have to stay on the forum page in question, you should get notification updates whenever someone replies to a thread you have contributed to and wherever you are on the site. You do have to stay logged in on the site though. I think the last part needs adjusting, so that any new notifications are shown when you come back to the site (even if you logged out).

Another feature coming soon is friend/newsfeed updates that will alert you when new video channels you subscribe to get new content and what your top friends are up to. This will also make it easier to track replies
Hmm, let me try that out. I'll stay logged in for the next 9 - 10 (since it's midnight in the UK) hours; and if someone could kindly post on this thread, I could check it out
Charlie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Hhhhhaaaaaaaaalllllllllloooooooooooo
Nope, didn't work
Hmm we'll look into it.    You get one there?
Hahah! Yes, my firefox may have crashed during the night and restarted. The little satellite turned yellow!

Thanks, this clarifies things
Super!
This is my bug testing brains coming into play now (used to be a bug tester for several games), and at this point it's almost nit picking.

Let's say I posted something on the first page, but that thread/video now has nearly 10 pages, the notification only links to the thread itself; not directly to the reply that was made.

Is this a feature that is practical enough to be put in? (or coded?)
Yeah we're looking into adding this on the next update (clicking username of last post in the forum listings will also take you to the applicable post)
Awesome. Great news

Kick4Life - changing lives through football