Forums / Euro 2012
Order: Newest / Oldest
Your Euro 2012 Squads
Matt (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
Now that England finally has a manager and we are near to the end of the season I am going to put forward my England squad wishlist in the hope some cosmic power makes it come true.

'First' choices are based on a 4-3-3 (4-3-2-1) formation

Goalkeepers.

First name on the sheet:
Joe Hart. As we are often told possession of the No 1. jersey is hard to wrest away from the last No. 1 and in Harts case that's a good thing as he is by far and away the best English keeper.

Back up:
Scott Carson and Robert Green. Despite both having major blunders between the sticks for England they are reliable back ups.

Defenders.
First names on the sheet:
Ashley Cole. Not everyones favourite player but as he proved against Barcelona he is still one of the top left backs in the world.
Gary Cahill. Coming into form at the right time and has all the tools to become a great centre back.
Joleon Lescott. Like Cahill he is finding form at the right stage of the season and he is a fantastic reader of the game.
Kyle Walker. PFA Young player of the year has pace to burn and unlike his rivals for the position is as good in defence as he is supporting the attack,

Back up:
Leighton Baines, really 50-50 between him and Cole for the starting LB spot great season.
Micah Richards. Very impressive but not enough game time to make the starting 11 is versatile and makes a great option.
Rio Ferdinand. Nowhere near his best but makes the squad so he can pass on his experience and fill in if needed.
Phil Jones. Another versatile player makes him a good pick for the squad.

Midfielders.
Steven Gerrard. Would also be my captain has not had the best of seasons in a lackluster Liverpool side but his quality is undoubted.
Scott Parker. Fantastic season with Spurs and very reliable.
Frank Lampard. Consistent as always and finishing the season with a winning mentality.
Theo Walcott. Gets a hard time in the press but has had a great season with 11 assists and 8 goals(Much lauded David Silva has 16 assists and 6 goals).
Ashley Young. I would need to have a chat about his penchant for going down under imaginary sniper fire but apart from that he is class.

Back up:
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. He will scare the life out of tiring defenders and is great back up.
Gareth Barry. Showed his ability against Man Utd always underrated.
Adam Johnson. Underplayed at Man City or he could of been in with a shout of a starting spot.
James Milner. Not a lot of alternatives and has class.

Forwards.
Wayne Rooney. Tricky one as he is unavailable for the first two group games. He is however one of the few true world class players we have so has to play.

Back up:
Daniel Sturridge. Grows in confidence every time he plays I would have him start for the games Rooney misses.
Peter Crouch. 99% sure he will not be picked but the guy is a proven and consistent goal scorer for England and will give you something different if you need to change a match.

In picking this squad it has been clear that there is not a massive amount of depth in English players right now and picking a squad is not always about picking the best players but picking players that can do many roles or provide impact. Terry's omission might shock a few but he just seems a bit too divisive and that 'knee' and the following excuses was simply dumb.

Starting Xii
Hart

Walker Cahill Lescott Cole

Parker
Lampard Gerrard

Walcott Young
Rooney/Sturridge

Please let me know how you want your country to line up.
TG11 (Inter Milan) 1 year ago
How I would structure England would be:

Joe Hart as your starting goalkeeper for all you England fans and as his backups I would have Robert Green and Scott Carson too as back-ups

Your defence I would put over there Glen Johnson, Micah Richards, Kyle Walker, and Ashley Cole

Back-up defenders would be Gary Cahill, Phil Jones, Leighton Baines, and Rio Ferdinand

Midfielders I would have over there Gerrard, Adam Johnson, Wilshere, Walcott, and Lampard

Back-up midfielders Ashley Young, Jack Rodwell, Gareth Barry, and Milner

Strikers Rooney

Back-ups are Andy Carroll, and Sturridge

That is how I would structure England, have youth within the team but also having that veteran presence
Tony (footytube staff) 1 year ago
Not much height at the back mate? .... Your defence are all full backs?
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Goal Keepers: Hart Foster Stockdale
Defenders: Walker Terry Ferdinand Cole Baines Cahill Jones Smalling Richards
Midfied: Parker Gerrard Lampard Young Barry Milner Chamberlain Scholes(if he comes out of retirement) Carrick Downing Walcott Lennon
Striker: Rooney Welbeck Carroll Sturridge

Starting XI
Hart
Walker Terry Ferdinand Baines
Parker Gerrard/Lamapard/Scholes
Young Chamberlain Lennon
Rooney
Barracuda (Manchester United) 1 year ago
I think it's high time that we move on from the old guards. Terry, Rio, cole, scholes, lampard, gerrard shouldn't be considered ahead of the youngsters
Oxladechamb15 (Lincoln City) 1 year ago
Sturridge has been poor lately in my opinion - surprised he is a dead cert with many to start
It is not that he is the stand out option but simply the best from a mediocre bunch
ManUK (Manchester United) 1 year ago
I'd have Welbeck any day right now, he's shown a lot of quality, and works with Rooney well. He needs to improve his finishing though
Somere (Portmore Utd) 1 year ago
4-2-3-1

-------------hart---------
Walker----rio----lescott----baines
---------jones------parker--------
----johnson---milner------young
------------welbeck--------------

We saw jones and parker partnership vs spain it looking like something in the making.
Adam johnson is way more intelligent than lennon and walcott on the ball. I would choose intelligence over speed. I was going to put carrick in over milner, simply because carrick's passing and vision is second only to scholes and maybe a fit jack wilshere.
Welbeck has been outstanding all season, can actually score goals unlike caroll and not as selfish as sturridge. Ashley coles has been passed it for some time now.

Back ups

Ruddy
Carson

Richards, cahill, smalling, cole

Carrick, lampard, gerrard
Rooney, defoe walcott
You didn't put Rooney in there because he cannot play the first few games right?
I agree that Johnson is a very clever footballer, Walcott starts for me as he simply has more game time
Somere (Portmore Utd) 1 year ago
Neither parker nor jones are creative players, so I would have to find creativity from somewhere else, that's the reason johnson and young would be needed. The would be playing a bit more central rather than hugging the touchlines
--------------Hart---------------
Walker---Ferdinand--Lescott---Baines
-------------Parker--------------
Walcott------Gerrard---------Young
--------Welbeck--Rooney/Defoe---------

I wouldn't have Walcott in their normally but there's no way anyone else is going to be picked, and When Rooney's not available I'd put in Defoe. Who has a very good goals to game ratio this season
Barracuda (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Mine is 4-2-3-1 formation

-------------Hart----------------

Walker-----Cahill----Lesscott---Baines

---------Carrick----Parker-------

--Johnson------Gerrad/Lampard/ox--------Young

-------------Welbeck----------

Squad
Foster, Ruddy
Richards
Smalling, Jagilka, Jones
Gibbs
Barry, Milner
Lennon, Walcott, Chamberline/lamaprd/gerrad
Rooney, Holt

I think this has a good mix of experience and youth. Plus, the expectations have gone down in the England team, so I feel the manager should use this window of opportunity to get the younger players into the big picture
Innoxious (Manchester United) 1 year ago
I'll field my favorite formation 4-5-1 (or more like 4-3-3)

------------Hart------------

-Walker - Terry - Lescott - Cole-

-----------Parker-----------

-------Carrick - Gerrard------

Johnson---------------Young

-----------Rooney----------

Backups:
GK - Foster, Carson
D - Baines, Rio, Richards, Smalling, Jones
M - Barry, Milner, Lampard, Walcott, Lennon
F - Welbeck, Sturridge

I put Cole over Baines just because he had much more experience in international competition.
I still see Gerrard as integral part of England, I think every team needs industrious player like him and he always made impact while playing for England.
Johnson over Walcott because of his technique, which I think lacked from England for the past years.
I don't see any better left winger than Young who can do both delivering deadly cross and cutting inside
SF2k12 (Leeds United) 1 year ago
Bit of a changed line up to normal most people wouldnt have considered. You may not all agree but that's alright its just a fantasy team after all. Plus lets face it the players we have sent to the last tournament havent performed, time for something new. (For the first game when Rooney is suspended, and assuming Parker is fit)

-------------------Hart -----------------

Walker ---- Cahill ---- Lescott ---- Cole

----------- Parker ---- Osman -----------

Lennon ---------- Welbeck ---------- Moses

----------------- Carroll -----------------

Back Up:
Paul Robinson (If comes out of retirment) / Ben Foster
John Ruddy

Micah Richards
Leighton Baines
Ryan Shawcross

Frank Lampard
Paul Scholes (If comes out of retirement) / Leon Britton
Nathan Dyer
Ashley Young

Wayne Rooney
Grant Holt
Jermaine Defoe

*Note - would take Joe Cole and Daniel Sturridge if it was a 25 man squad
I can understand some of the choices. But Caroll and Moses over Rooney and Young? Really?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football