Forums / Euro 2012
Order: Newest / Oldest
Roy Hodgson Signs Four-year Deal As England Boss
Cr712Bet (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Roy Hodgson has signed a four-year deal to take over as England manager, the FA have confirmed.

The 64-year-old will step down from his role at West Brom following the Baggies' final two games of the Premier League season to begin preparations for Euro 2012.

Hodgson began discussions with the FA at Wembley on Monday and left the stadium with a draft itinerary for Euro 2012.

"It's a very proud day for me, I'm a very happy man to have been offered the chance to manage my country, " said Hodgson at his introductory press conference. "I'm looking forward to the task ahead, everybody knows it's not an easy one.

"But I'm also hoping that everybody - the fans, the supporters, everybody within the country - will get behind the team, because it's the team that counts, it's the team that will win us matches, and I'll do my very best to make sure the team is as well prepared as possible for the task that lies ahead. I'm grateful for the chance to be the manager of England and I'm looking forward to the task ahead. "

The FA has said that Hodgson is the only person who it has approached regarding the job ahead of the European Championships in June.

Harry Redknapp has been touted by many as the favorite for the role since the departure of the 65-year-old Italian in February, but the FA decided not to contact the Tottenham manager. One of the concerns the FA is said to have had over the Spurs boss is whether he shared their vision for the National Football Center in Burton, designed as a £100 million center of excellence for coaching.

Hodgson manager has extensive international experience, beginning his managerial career at Swedish side Halmstad in 1976, and has since managed the national sides of Switzerland, United Arab Emirates and Finland, as well as domestic sides in Italy and England.

His first project will be the Euro 2012 tournament this summer in Poland and the Ukraine. The manager is looking forward to starting the team's preparations.

"Obviously I've been working in the country now for the last five years so all of the players are pretty well known to me even though I haven't worked with that many of them, " he said.

"It's going to be important for me after this press conference to get straight down to the task, of making it certain that when the time comes to announce the squad - which we're likely to put back as a matter of fact until after the last game of the season - that I've done as much research as I can and spoken to as many players as I possibly can. "

A number of the key players at his disposal currently have their spots up in the air, including Chelsea defender John Terry and Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand. Hodgson is looking forward to meeting with them soon.

"The important thing at the moment is for me to speak to as many players as possible, " he said. "Of course John [Terry] and Rio [Ferdinand], as respected members of the team, are going to be two players that I need to speak to. But I couldn't answer your question at this moment in time certainly not before I've had a chance to hopefully sit down with them, but if I can't sit down with them, I'll speak to them on the telephone. "

FA boss David Bernstein also conveyed his excitement that Hodgson agreed to contract offer and has been made England's newest manager.

"I'm extremely happy, " said Bernstein. "I think it's been handled very professionally. I think compared to some of the decisions we've had in the past with these appointments I'm very pleased indeed. We've handled it professionally, confidentially - we've always said we wanted to make the appointment around now, we've stuck to our timing.

"It's interesting that when we approach West Bromwich Albion, which was the end of last week, they had two conditions. The first was that we didn't talk to Roy until after the Aston Villa match, the second was he was allowed to manage for the last two matches. Which in a way I think emphasizes the benefits of coming quite late into this.

England has only two fixtures before there Euro 2012 opening game aganst France on June 11, having planned friendlies with Norway and Belgium on the May 26 and June 2, respectively

Kick4Life - changing lives through football