Forums / Euro 2012
Order: Newest / Oldest
How Do You Feel Following The French Game?
Fanlabs (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 year ago
Very much agree with you too Matt. If we can beat the Ukrainians tonight, which we should, I think making it to the QFs is already exceeding the expectations of most.

It's really interesting to see from our survey how the pride, confidence and optimism of England fans is growing by the day during the tournament and I think the fans have every right to be feeling good right now. Although there were some negatives from both the France and the Sweden game, we have got the job done so far and if we can make it out of the group and keep building on our performances, who knows what can happen.

Spain were lucky to beat Croatia last night and I feel Croatia were by far the best team on the night and I think Italy looked better against Spain in the opening game. The Italians were also given quite a bit of a shock by the Irish last night and I think England are actually capable of beating both Italy and Spain. Fingers crossed for tonight anyway and let's hope we can get the job done
Matt (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
Couldn't agree more with this post, before the match I would have taken a point happily but during the game it did appear that the French were weak at the back and with a little more adventure England could have taken all 3 points.

The issue with the way England set out against France makes it clear that if England believe the opposition is better than them then they will set out to stifle the game and rely on scoring off of one or two chances they make which is fine as long as you score first. If England keep on progressing then I can see them getting out of the group but unless they find the belief that they can beat big teams it is hard to back them past the quarter finals.

That said depending on the next 2 performances if we exited in the quarter finals against Spain or Italy but played well then there is no shame in that and I would be quite happy
Fanlabs (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 year ago
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been done yet, considering the mixed reactions in the media to our game against France.

All in all, I was positively surprised with the result considering I expected France to top our group before the tournament started. I think we started the game positively enough and think we fully deserved to take the lead. I was however very disappointed with our second half performance. The French defence looked shaky and I think we should have pushed to test them more. We seemed quite content to sit back and let them take potshots from outside the area and it would have been nice to see us try and attack more. I was also disappointed in the link-up play between Young and Welbeck (I read somewhere that they only exchange one pass all evening!) and our passing was not great.
However, I do expect us to approach the next two games differently and hopefully we can see some more positive football.

Looking at the stats from our survey, England fans have reacted positively to the win on the whole; confidence in the team amongst England fans has risen significantly and English pride in the team has actually risen by 23%, taking us from one of the least proud nations to one of the most proud nations in Europe.

What did you make of the game and has it affected how you feel about the team and our chances in the tournament?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football