Forums / Euro 2012
Order: Newest / Oldest
Group C: Italy, Northern Ireland, Serbia... Estonia?!
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
My impression is that Italy will sail to the first place in this group, but nothing is sealed. Northern Ireland will probably win easily on Tuesday and get on the top side by side with Italy.

Based on today's game, I think Italy will win at home and this was a big point for them.

As if three contenders were not enough for this group now we have also Estonia entering the race. Not that I think much of Serbia, but winning in Belgrade is not easy for any team and Estonia did it.

So where do we go from here?

Will see on Tuesday whether Serbia will get a point in Italy or later this year, whether Italy will win away in Slovenia and whether Northern Ireland will man up to get at least a point in Belgrade. With today's win, Estonia raised the bar for all
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Its been a group of shocks so far, even I as a northern ireland fan didn't expect to win in slovenia, which is a hard place to go, and they were wc finalists.
Serbia were a big disappointment losing at home to estonia who look like the groups dark horses.
Theres a long way to go, and as for northern ireland, we are all happy with our start, and if we can win against the lesser teams in the group, we will go close to qualifying.
We fear no one at windsor park, but we need to beat the teams similar to ourselves, as we usually get results against the big sides
Next match up, the faroe islands away, now that match would worry me more than italy away.... Lol
I hope they saw this and know that every match should be taken seriously nowadays.

Link: www.uefa.com/under19/matches/season=2011/round=200...
What did I tell you about northern ireland against the smaller nations? ....
Faroe islands 1 v northern ireland 1, a waste of time beating slovenia, and drawing with italy, all that good work undone because they can't raise themselves to play against what should be a lesser team.
Yeah, I am sorry for this.

Have not seen the table yet, but probably the re is still hope. This is a weird group. Estonia beating Serbia in Belgrade and then are defeated at home by Slovenia. Go figure.

So yeah who knows what happens. Honestly a team that can't win against Faroe Island should not be in Euro 2012, but football is a game of surprises and let's see what happens
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Serbia will come out this group first. I no they suffered a shock result. But I don't see Northern Ireland or Italy grabbing top spot. And Estonia can grab the play off position. You never no
Serbia? Meh. They will probably end up fourth. They have some good players but the team has been completely out of touch.
I'd rather see Northern Ireland and Italy qualifying, with a tint of sorrow for Estonia which have not been to the finals of any international tournament, ever
Sophiehart (Linfield) 3 years ago
Serbia seek Italian boost...
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
What about that Italy-Serbia game?! Good old Serbs are back on the track! Embarrassing...
Fans like that don't deserve to support a team, any team
Sad thing is that there was less than 200 of those idiots, while other 1800 real Serbian fans on the stadium, and millions watching live broadcast, just got s*****d over for what was expected to be a great game. Hope they keep them in the jail...
Apparently there had been trouble in belgrade all week, some gay pride parade was attacked or something like that, looks like they turned up for the italy match as well...Lol.
The northern ireland fans have been warned in a link which I have left below, warning them about travelling to serbia for the upcoming match.
Is it a big problem in serbia?...Football violence?

Link: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11540346...
I must admit, the polish fans came to belfast last year and attempted to cause trouble, but got a good hiding from the locals.
Who comes to belfast to start a riot? .... We're past masters at it.... Lol
I hope the serbian fans don't come here with the same attitude whenever that match is.
I can't see the sense in going to football to start a fight, I love mingling with the opposition fans and stuff, have a good laugh, but theres always some idiot wanting to spoil it, usually alcohol fuelled
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 3 years ago
@Tony LMFAO@"Who comes to belfast to start a riot? .... We're past masters at it.... Lol" Tony your wit is surpassed only by your good looks! These idiots were sent by the political left to embarrass the Serbian FA because the recently fired their last coach who is a living legend to the Serbs. I think they believe by embarassing the FA in front of the world they can force the current president to quit in shame. From what I have been reading online there is a long standing history of football hooligainism in Serbia and the area previously known as Yugoslavia.
BigShel got it right, small group of hooligans caused this mess because they, or whoever controls them, want Serbian FA president to resign. I'm on the same page with them about FA president, but this definitely is not the way to do it.

There were riots in Belgrade, because of the gay pride parade that was held on Sunday as Tony said, but it has nothing to do with match in Italy, except that maybe some of the hooligans involved in incidents in Italy took part in Belgrade riots as well. They are hooligans after all.

We do have issues with hooligans in Serbia, and main problem is that they took a big part in overthrowing Milosevic (former Yugoslavian dictator) during October 5th 2000 revolution in Belgrade, and politicians that are running country now kind of owe them some gratitude for being part of that historic event for Serbia. That is why all these hooligans have numerous criminal charges, but never got sentenced for it. In short, Serbian justice system a joke...
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 3 years ago
Thanks VeljaSrbin, I have been doing more reading online and came up with this description of events if anyone is interested. Forme it's jarring because as an American we have neither the same passion about football or sports I admire the passion but as was said above not the methods.

Link: soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=832137&sec=euro20...

VeljaSerbin you are right about the fault being with the local justice and the local police. These hooligans if left to run amok sooner or later will do something embarrassing of these dimension. England has done a great job in tackling hooliganism, but it happened only after a tragedy in which 37 Italians died before a Champions Cup final.

Similarly, Belgrade authorities should take advantage of this embarrassing moment to hit hard on their hooligans. Don't get fooled by thinking that they will limit themselves to the stadia. If left alone violence will come to you at some point.

Yes, I think they are being used but they also seem to know how to hide behind nationalist slogans. My advice to the Serbs is don't get fooled by that. Nothing more dangerous than a thug with a cause. Just because you claim to be a patriot, does not mean that you are really helping your country
Hahah very funny Tony. But you know what, the same thing was being said by some people in southern Italy, who consider themselves tougher than the richer and sophisticated North: "If this had happened in Palermo, we would have kicked their a$$es. " lol

On a more serious note, there was a French fan who was killed, maybe last year in Belgrade, so that sparked some alarming warnings. Should be a nice place to visit as a tourist or world traveler, if Jeroem permits it, but of course as a fan, you will at some point be in the same stadium with the people that you saw on Tuesday. I think a government will have to release a warning by default
Andy (Rangers) 3 years ago
Thanks for the information Nemanja, really interesting stuff.    
VeljaSrbin, I also forgot the issue of the Serbia FA President. You guys have to deal carefully with this. UEFA and FIFA are very serious about the independence of the FAs. Two countries in Europe have been suspended by all international activities until they stopped efforts to change the head of the FA. A similar thing is happening with Nigeria
I'm with you Marcinny on this one, this is perfect timing to act against hooliganism, and I truly hope it will happen, sane Serbian majority is sick of this stuff. There are no worries of politicians involving in this issue, cause current FA president has great relations with people that are running our country.

BigShell I believe USA is getting there, as far as passion for football. I studied and played college football (soccer) in New York from 2005 till 2009, and there has been great progress in popularizing our favorite game in recent years. Just a simple fact that when I just got to US you could only see semis and final game of champions league on ESPN, and by the time I left every week champions league matches were in live broadcast, tells you a lot about changes in popularity of football in US.
I wonder what the UEFA decision will be on Serbia? Will they limit themselves to give a 3-0 victory to Italy and a fine to Serbia or will they go for a harder punishment.

A match is just a match, it is the future they worry about. They may fear that this would encourage other hooligans from other countries if no visible consequences are enforced
Information that are coming over here is 3-0 for Italy, five home games without crowd and monetary fine. But this problem is caused by weak Serbian justice system, because all those who were involved in the incident already have criminal records over here, and I am just amazed that they can even travel around Europe like that. I believe that Italian police should take some responsibility too, because hooligan that cut security wire had ten inches metal clams, and I do not know how can you bring that in through security
That seems a bit harsh to me, how can you award italy a 3-0 win? , if that's the case, all the other teams who have already faced serbia, or have yet to play serbia should be awarded the same, theres no fairness to the other teams in the group, and why should italy get 3pts and 3 goals for doing zilch?
And I think its a bit harsh on serbia, the team didn't fire rockets etc;
I would be highly surprised if the Italians don't get the 3-0. In some way they won the lotto with this. Serbia may also be punished to play without fans or play the home games somewhere else, like in Austria. This second punishment would be a discrimination towards Estonia that had the guts to win in Belgrade in front of the same fans who scared Italy.

The best thing from the calculation point of view would be not to punish Serbia at all, except for the monetary side or expel it from the Euro 2012 (Serbia have no chance of qualifying this year anyway.). But none is likely. One would be too soft and the other too harsh
I also believe that new match should be played, because it seems to me that Italians have not done anything to prevent incidents on the stands, even though they were warned by our FA and police of a possibility of hooligans causing trouble. It might sounds funny, but to me it seems like Italians wanted this to happen so they could pick up points without playing, and maybe get Serbia thrown out of the qualifies. I actually believe that, cause if you watched live broadcast, Italian police was way too passive.

It was electric atmosphere in Belgrade during match vs Estonia, but Serbian police was on their toes, and there was no way incidents like this could happen over here. We got burned too many times in the past
I'm with you on the italians mate, I think they have a worse problem than serbia, some of their fans are animals, I have witnessed them myself at old trafford, especially roma.
And their police do nothing to aid away fans, but are quick to wade in with batons for little reason, utd have suffered loads going to italy over the years
Common guys, you have a direct interest in this and maybe forgiven the wishful thinking, but there is no way, there is no way that the reaction of the Italian police could balance the hooligans' violence.

Did the Italians milked the situation? Maybe they did. But there enough justification for them and they already made them known.

According to them, Serbia notified them about the hooligans, but did not made it clear the scale of the danger. Also, unlike other groups of hooligans, this group had a structure, a leader and a premeditated agenda. Described like this, it is a fearful precedent and UEFA will be harsh on Serbia
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to justify hooligans that were involved in this incident, they deserve to end up behind bars.

Don't know if you are aware of this, but hooligans that were involved in incidents on the stadium, prior to game entered the bus whit Serbian players and tried to attack our goalkeeper Stojkovic (he used to play for Red Star and now is playing for their arch rivals Partizan), and hooligans that are obviously Red Star sympathizers threw few flares in the bus with players. All this happened in front of the Italian police that was supposed to secure our players but they did not react. Same hooligans couple hours later found their way to the stadium, and as reports say, entered with flares easily (one of them had ten inches metal clams which he used to cut of security net that was surrounding part of the stadium where they were located) without anyone searching them
Seems to be a sad state of affairs in serbia, if they can't or won't sort problems within the game, its only going to hurt them internationally and send the game on a downward spiral in serbia.
Lets hope someone knocks a few heads together
Yes, I know that they attacked the goalkeeper. What an idiotic thing to do. Forget this Italian affair, you have a domestic dispute keep it "in the family", don't attack him when he is wearing the national colors and in a foreign country. And then they burn a flag because they are "great patriots". They don't care $h*t about the nation.

Italy of course will do whatever they can to win this on the table. I bet the report to UEFA has been embellished to minimize their responsibility. And yes, maybe they closed an eye at the gates and maybe they did it on purpose, but the spotlight will remain on the hooligans.

As I said, Serbia should act quickly on this. It is bad for them in the first place. They will hurt the name of the capital city, they will reduce revenues from the traveling fans who are now thinking twice of coming there. Not to mention that Serbia is expecting a major decision from the EU and this will be used by those who were against abolishing visa for the Serbian citizens.

Really, Serbia should just bite the bullet this time and go hard on those guys. Every country has bad boys. The thing is that these people have some celebrity status there, the way I see it. It's not just jailing the culprits. Their entire organization should be reviewed and probed. From sources of finance to daily activities. They just can't let it rub this in the face of the state and in the face of the nation
As far as celebrity status, they do have it among small number of people that think (or do not think at all in this case) alike. Unfortunately stupid things can easily be done by few, but it takes a lot to fix it.

I do agree with both of your comments, and there is simply not excuse for what happen in Genoa. It is sad state of affairs in Serbia, when it comes to dealing with hooligans, and it has been like that for a decade. Hope our justice system will manage to deal with it this time, once for all.

By the way, the latest news reports say that hooligans received money from one Serbian criminal organization, which sees entering EU as a threat for their "business"
Wow. See. Exactly what I was doubting. Well, no surprise some of these people who were unemployed from what I read, had enough money to travel and enjoy the game abroad while many Serbs can't afford to make the trip or even to take a day off from work
I would say that biggest problem in Serbia is huge crisis on job market right now, but if you are connected to underground people, you do not need a job. By the way, the "leader" of hooligans from Genoa, still lives with his mom, "Stepbrother" style!
The mafia still alive and kicking in serbia
Yep...
Wait. Now it is coming to me. Velja, but you're not criticising them just because most of them support the Red Star, right? Lol

Wait until Tony begin to unmask the mafia of City fans. Hahahaha
Hahahaha! D**n it Marcinny, you've blown my cover! It is true that hooligans that were involved in Genoa incidents were mostly, if not all, Red Star fans. Three years ago Partizan was disqualified from Europa League because "our" hooligans caused riots during Europa League qualifying game against Zrinjski (Bosnian club from the city where majority of population are Croatian, just a little insight), and FC Partizan dealt with that issue effectively, where they gave life time ban for watching Partizan games to all hooligans who were involved in those incidents. Since than, there were no incidents on the stadiums where Partizan played their games.

It would be unfair not to mention death of the French fan (Toulouse supporter), who was killed by Partizan "fans" year ago, before Europa League match between these two teams. Incident happened in downtown Belgrade, several hours before the game, and investigation showed that same group that caused incidents in above mentioned Zrinjski, was involved in this one as well. Those hooligans are in jail right now, so it is a pleasure to go and watch Partizan games these days, just ask Arsenal fans who were in Belgrade couple of weeks ago
Haha ok then.    I knew about the french guy but I didn't know in what circumstances he died. Tragic. To die for an effing game.
City don't have fans marc, they're all cardboard cutouts, and some of them refuse to turn up for home games
So, is there any signal for the Italy-Serbia match?
Recent reports over here say that there might be a new match after all. Bulgarian FA canceled friendly match against Serbia, that was supposed to be played in November, because their sources allegedly came up with the information that repeated match between Italy and Serbia will take place then. I am still skeptic about this though...
I can't see how they can award points and goals to italy, it would be unfair on the rest of the group, who will have to play them, or already have played them.
So the fairest option is to play the game in italy without any serbian fans in the stadium, and no doubt there will be a finnancial penalty heading in the direction of the serbian fa, but in the light of fairness, this match has to be played to a conclusion
Can you believe this b***tches. Where were they when Italy was to play Serbia.

Man, I hate hooligans with a passion.

Link: www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Italian-Ultras-attac...
I read about it this morning, I guess Italians are not far from Serbia, when it comes to hooliganism! It is sad that people are getting hurt on, and around, football stadiums...
I've seen them at first hand at old trafford when they attacked two elderly men outside old trafford, that's your roma fans for you
It's official! Italy-Serbia 3:0, one home match in front of empty stadium for Serbia and 130 000 euros ban. Case Genoa closed
Unfair on the rest of the group, and what good is an empty stadium going to do when the trouble was cuased in italy?
I would ban their away support, that would make more sense
Unfair to other countries in the group, yes, but I had no doubt about this outcome
I forgot about away fans ban as well, Serbian FA will not be able to provide tickets for away games till the end of qualifies (most of those who can afford going abroad are currently in jail anyways).
As far as fairness, Italy gotta' qualify somehow right?!
Well if northern ireland miss out on qualification due to one of italys phantom goals, I and the whole of northern ireland will be well pissed off, and the same goes for any country who might miss out due to goal difference to italy especially, and there will be a big stink if this comes to pass, and some country misses out
265 northern ireland fans to be permitted to attend the behind closed doors euro 2012 qualifier between serbia and and.Ireland.
The irish fa had complained that some northern ireland fans had already booked flights and hotels well in advance and it was not fair on them, as they had done nothing.
Myself I think as many northern ireland fans as possible should be allowed to attend the game, after all they did nothing, but yet of all we suffer while italy get a 3-0 win, I don't get that, somethings not right with that decision, its unfair to the rest of the group.

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9361731.stm...
I'm with you on this one Tony. Irish fans deserve to attend a game.
As far as 3-0 win for Italy, it's UEFA man, they need powerhouses to qualify for EURO!
The only fair way to do it was replay the game in italy, with no serb fans.... Simple.
With uefa giving italy a 3-0 win it is mighty unfair on everyone else, and italy are the only party to benefit from the decision.
Whos to say serbia wouldnt have beaten or drawn with italy? , it could have been 0-0, but now other teams have a goal difference to make up as italy got 3 goals they never warranted, and if someone in the group loses out by goal difference to italy, there will be one hell of a big stink.
I feel sorry for the serbian players in all honesty, a very good team being undermined by idiot so called supporters, who they could do without, lets not forget they are the cause of all this hassle in the first place, but they are killing their own team
Again you are spot on Tony!
Here is a little insight in dark side of Serbian mentality; those fans that caused incidents in Genoa actually want our national team not to qualify, because they are (or whoever controls them) against president of Serbian FA. Idiotic behavior to say at least! I am not supporter of current FA president either, but punishing our national team and all football fans is just plain stupid!
And as far as Italy game, I truly do not think we would lose, because Italians are far from having a good team, ever since WC 2006, and this is a huge wind in their back towards reaching the final tournament
Italy definetly fell on their feet in this one, whats new
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 3 years ago
Okay.... Tony is dead on on this one. I agree that the game should have been played without fans.... And without any problems either
Tony and Velja, I think Italy would have won against Serbia. I know you may tend to think otherwise, but I believe that Italy are strong enough to beat Serbia at home. Despite all the great players in their team, Serbia were not a strong at the moment.
Of course we will never know this for sure.

In my mind the best solution would have been to repeat the match and take 3 points off from Serbia in the table. That would have punished Serbia without punishing the rest of the group. Also even if Serbia had won the repeated match, which was the scenario to avoid, it would have served for nothing, considering the three-point penalty
Its not even a point wether italy would have beaten them or not, where does the 3 goals come into it? , italy might have won 1-0, but they have been given 3pts and 3 goals which they never scored.
If they were going to give italy the 3 points, which I disagree with, it should have been points only and no goals. are they mystic and can see how many goals teams are gonna' score? .... Disgrace in my eyes
Paul the octopus never died, he's working at uefa awarding italy 3-0 wins
It is confirmed Tony, 265 Northern Ireland fans will be allowed to attend match against Serbia in Belgrade on March 25th. They will be stationed in VIP lounges.

If you ask me you should bring 60 000 fans down here and pack the stands, because empty stadium is going to look sad. That way it would at least look like a qualifying match!
If you can find 200 Serbian immigrants from Northern Ireland, maybe there is a way around this. Lol. Hey, as long as they are traveling from Belfast. UEFA's decision concerns only fans living in Serbia
We're only allowed to bring 265, that's the uefa stipulation on this game, or there would have been thousands of irish fans heading there, some have already lost money because they had pre booked flights and accomodation in serbia, so I hope uefa are gonna' refund those guys that now can't make it
I think UEFA owes that money to the Irish fans. Did they fine the Serbian federation about the riot? If yes, part of that money should be used to compensate the fans who lost their money. (Maybe hotels in Serbia and airline companies will be understanding and return some of the money)
You gotta' feel sorry for the airlines and hotels aswell, theres a lot of revenue lost outside of the hotel cost and airline ticket, think what those fans would have spent on other things while they were in sebia, well drink.... Lol, drugs and women...
I am sure that events like that are more costly than what meets the eye. Belgrade won't miss only the money of Irish fans but also the money of those who may have redirected their tourist visits elsewhere. Violence scares people. There are stupid fans everywhere but these idiots played their act in live TV.

About the returning the money, I assume the airlines in Belfast and the hotels/motels in Serbia want repeat customers, considering that Serbia and Serbian clubs will be around for years to come in European and world football
Saddest thing is that we will miss spectacle that Serbian fans always make when national team is playing (and I am not talking about the Genoa kind of spectacle)! Drink, drugs and woman are always there to have fun with Tony!

It is a funny fact that this is second ban that we received from UEFA in form of playing in front of the empty stadium, and both times it was for the riots our so called fans caused on away matches (previous one was in Austria, if I am not mistaking)
You would have had great fun with the northern ireland fans, they were not voted best fans in the world for nothing, a few years ago, they love to enjoy themselves, and sing no matter what the score is, its a pity, but I'm sure they will be back in numbers sometime in the future when all quietens down in serbia
Gonna' be weird watching serbia v northern ireland this friday night with only a few hundred and. Ireland fans in the stadium in serbia.
Its on tv live, so i'll have to make my own atmosphere.... Well, here goes.... Worthingtons green'n'white army.... Lol
Man, time flies. March looked so far to me in November and here we are.

You better keep an eye on Slovenia-Italy too since you're at that Tony. It starts 15 minutes later (I wonder why the time difference.)
Yeah Tony, it will suck to watch match with no crowd (200 will be seated in VIP lounges)! I guess we Serbs can count as an advantage a fact that our national team played in front of an empty stadium one match in previous qualifies as well! Priceless experience...
Its sad that an important match has to be played under these conditions, its helping no one, I bet our boys would rather play in a packed stadium, it has to have an affect on the outcome all round, stupid decision.
Surely serbia have a supporters club, whereby x amount of trusted fans should have been allowed to attend the match, its these guys than can just walk in off the street, buy a ticket, and cause grief we need to stop.
Registered fans in a registered club should never suffer, they don't cause the trouble
All northern ireland fans that travel to away games are all with registered northern ireland supporters clubs, so if they 'cause trouble, they're out
I'll watch it in my computer. Lol. Espn3 has it and I get that for free.
I'll probably root for "green'n'white army" too Tony. We'll see how it goes. Without fans, it could so quiet they will hear me screaming from my computer. Lol
Seeeeeeeeeeeerbia!
Nice one nemanja
Yeah man, we needed that one! It's going to be tight race for second place, since UEFA gave Italians push forward...
Typical, all the big boys seem to get a helpful hand at times

Kick4Life - changing lives through football