40/1

Key Players
Robert Lewandowski – FW – 40 Caps, 13 Goals
Jakub Błaszczykowski – MF - 49 Caps, 8 Goals

Team Rating

Group
A: Poland, Greece, Czech Republic, Russia

Notable Facts
  • Only ever qualified for 1 European Championships Finals (2008).

• Their best result was a 1-1 draw against Austria.

• Their only ever goal scorer at the finals is Brazilian born Roger Guerreiro.

Poland’s Chances
The Polish have qualified as hosts and are the lowest ranked team in the tournament. Though their previous major finals experience is very limited the national team has benefited from the development of several International class players over the past 5 years many of whom ply their trade for top European Clubs, most notably the trio of Robert Lewandowski, Captain Jakub Błaszczykowski and Łukasz Piszczek who all helped Borussia Dortmund to the Bundesliga title last season.

Lewandowski in particular was one of the stars of the Bundesliga season having hit hugely impressive 33 goals and 10 assists in 51 appearances. He has a decent 1 in 3 goals to games ratio at international level and if he can take motivation from the home support then Poland have a very good chance of qualifying from a the weakest group at the tournament. They will need to get a the first European Championships finals win in their history from either Greece (in the opening game or an unfancied Czech side in their final group game.

The Poles are a tough team to break down, even though they haven’t played a competitive game in 2 years their friendly results during that time, which include a clean sheet against Portugal this year, a 2-2 draw against Germany last year and a 2-1 win against Argentina all suggest that they are capable of being a tough team to beat even though they don’t score many goals.

It’s likely we’ll see them involved in mostly low scoring games and if their big stars can find the net then group qualification courtesy of a 1-0 win and a draw could be on the cards.

“Araz Index”
Chance of qualifying from Group: 55%
Predicted Knock Out Stage: Quarter Finals

“Matt Index”
Chance of qualifying from Group: 60%
Predicted Knock Out Stage: Quarter Finals

Matt's Possibly True Trivia
  • The Polish national side were the first team to try a goalkeeping kit which disguised the keeper as part of the net. This kit was later deemed illegal by UEFA and FIFA.

• It is foretold that the next Poland manager will not only see reasonable success with the team but also bring balance to the force.

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
ManOnDMoon (Manchester City) 2 years ago
This article forgot to mention Szczesny    Edit: I'm quite sure they lost to Italy and Balo scored
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Good spot we have updated the article and will now go and amend wiki!
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
I think Poland could actually surprise us in this tournament. Being hosts is obviously a big advantage. The Dortmund trio has been really impressive this year and I expect them to shine in the EURO. I'll make a bold statement and say they will reach the semis!
SKool (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Poland can potentially be the dark horse in this competition. Quarter-finals for me
Innoxious (Manchester United) 2 years ago
No Łukasz Piszczek? I'd say knocked out at quarter final
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Definitely quarters. A good side
UnderArmour (Borussia Dortmund) 2 years ago
Poland has a really good team. The Dortmund trio Lewandowski, Kuba, and Piszczek will certainly help them get out of the group. Don't forget Arsenal's number one goalkeeper Szczesny. Since they have a major advantage playing home, they should get out of the group and play in the quarter finals. I think they can shock everyone by advancing to the Semis
Piza (Werder Bremen) 2 years ago
Whoever wrote this article massively underestimates Poland IMO
Booba (Newcastle United) 2 years ago
Kocham polski, but hard, because, no ebi smolarek, to zurawski, no jelen, no, no, many players away
Krzysiekosw (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Smolarek, Żurawski I Jeleń są za słabi! Oni by nic nie wnieśli do gry...
Ravkzuum (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Are you serious, or did you just hop out of a delorian at 88 mph oO?
Rezatnt (Barcelona) 2 years ago
I'm betting on Poland

Like them, really good goalkeeper, fantastic striker, mix of young and experience, hosting this tournament !

I see good chance for them
Whiplasher2 (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Poland is going to have a breakout tournament. With their young, talented players, they will surprise many. I am looking forward to watching them play today and wish them the best of luck. I knew Poland was going to be a strong side with their success in the 2007 U-21 Worldcup, where the young team found success.

I predict a Semi final finish for Poland. They should not be underestimated and will prove their talent during this Euro.

Respect
Peace

Kick4Life - changing lives through football