Forums / England
Order: Newest / Oldest
Euro 2012 Spotlight - England
Proactivefan (Newcastle United) 2 years ago
In my opinion, Oxlade-Chamberlain didn´t show a best performance in his matches for your national team, I think he has got too few experiences, because he's playing in Arsenal since the beginning phase of this 2011-12 season, had a rocket start after scoring in Champions league, but still, I'll may be wrong but I would let play more experienced players
Kisho (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I like
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Tournament Odds  10/1    Really?
Fxate (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Indeed, England with better odds than Portugal, Russia, and Italy.    Not sure if bookies are trolling or really stupid.
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Bookies don't just reflect the actual chance of a team winning but also the amount of money that will be bet on that team and bookies know there will be a fair few believers out there
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Ohhhhhhh, makes sense now.... Thanks Matt!
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago

FIFA World Ranking

Tournament Odds
10/1

Key Players
Wayne Rooney – ST – 74 Caps, 28 Goals
Steven Gerrard – MF - 92 Caps, 19 Goals
Ashley Young – MF – 21 Caps, 6 Goals

Team Rating

Group
C: England, France, Sweden, Ukraine

Notable Facts
  • Have only progressed past the group phase 3 times.

• 8 of the 23 man squad has less than 10 caps.

• Wayne Rooney is the youngest player to feature for England at a Euros at 18 years and 234 days old when he played against France in Portugal during the 2004 European Championship Finals.

England’s Chances
I will attempt to do the writing equivalent of capturing a unicorn by going this whole entire review without mentioning 1966 … oh crap.

England go into this European Championship with the least fanfare and expectations than I can ever recall. This sudden bout of realism comes on the back of a strong qualification performance (p8 w5 d3 gd12 Englands group was only one of 2 to feature only 5 teams and no real whipping boys) and an overall record since the last World Cup of p17 w11 d4 l2 including a 1-0 victory over current world no 1's Spain.

So why all the doom and gloom? I honestly think that to coin a oft used realtionship phrase England fans have been 'Hurt Before' not least of all in the last World Cup where after a strong showing in qualification they struggled out of their group after only managing draws against USA and Algeria and scraping a 1-0 win against Slovenia (all matches Enlgand were expected to win comfortably). They then went crashing out of the tournament at the hands of their preferred international rival, Germany who swept them aside with a youthful team and 4-1 scoreline.

Since then England has failed to capture the public’s imagination or unconditional support it previously enjoyed.

If you then add to that Roy Hodgsons last minute appointment, Wayne Rooney's ban for the first two group matches and the withdrawal through injury of Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry and Gary Cahill you end up with most people thinking we will do well just to get out of the group.

These are the bad news facts (though there are 2 days to go and knowing England it may not end there). So is there any reason to break out the St George's crosses?

Well I think so, Roy Hodgson may not have been everyone’s (anyone’s?) first choice for England manager but despite a bit of a blip at Liverpool there is no doubting his pedigree in getting the most out of limited resources and that is the situation the England national team is in. He has shown in his two matches that he intends to make England a hard team to break down.

The opening match against the French on the 11th will provide a stern test of defensive abilities and England may find ourselves needing to get results against historically awkward Sweden and co-host nation Ukraine which will be no easy task.

If England are to win the group and proceed past the quarter finals they will need to get performances from Captain Steven Gerrard who still has the ability to pick a game up by the scruff of the neck. Ashley Young has shown he has the quality and temperament to really make an impact. Wayne Rooney is world class if he can keep his temper in check. England also posses pace and potential game changing skill in the form of Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

With these players England will once again dissapoint their fans if they do not qualify from the group. If England do qualify in second place their likely opponents will be Spain which would be a big ask of this England side. Winning the group would see them playing either Italy or Croatia. So a lot depends on their group form.

I Can't help but feel England are due a bit of luck and a performance or two in a big tournament and if they get it then they could shock a few teams.

“Araz Index”
Chance of qualifying from Group: 65%
Predicted Knock Out Stage: Semi Final

“Matt Index”
Chance of qualifying from Group: 70%
Predicted Knock Out Stage: Quarter Final

Matt's Possibly True Trivia

• John Terry has packed Spanish and German kits in case they win.

• The teams wives and girlfriends (WAGS) have been banned from the team hotel in case they all turn up and once and the combination of flash photography and fake tan causes an explosion.

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football