Forums / England
Order: Newest / Oldest
England Chat
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 weeks ago
England were excellent in the first 30 min against Russia but still lacked in the final third. Russia defended heroically throughout the game and pretty much had Kane wrapped up. In the end Hodgson does the classic mistake by trying to wrap it up by adding defensive substitutions, which only invited Russia further forward. In hindsight I'm sure he wish he'd thrown on a more attack minded player, like Vardy. And perhaps someone like Barkley instead of Wilshere. While Sterling for much of it was poor, at least he and Rooney still posed a threat.

On a positive note, a solid game and great goal from Eric Dier. He's the eight Spurs player to score for England in a major tournament, more than any other club
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 week ago
England totally dominated Wales but the Welsh were resilient and hard to break down. Gareth Bale's opener was a strong swerving free kick but Joe Hart really got to have done better. Lucky equaliser for Jamie Vardy after Welsh captain Ashley Williams played him onside. Great winner for England though, when they finally succeeded in what they attempted for 90 minutes, playing their way through. Roy Hodgson rewarded this time by his subs. Vardy for Kane and Sturridge for Sterling. I hope Sturridge start on top with Kane next game, while Vardy is kept as an impact sub
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 6 days ago
Six changes ahead of the third group stage game was a gamble from Roy Hodgson, one that didn't pay off. 0-0 against Slovakia was disappointing and meanwhile Wales beat Russia 3-0 and topped the group. Jack Wilshere was the poorest player on the field which proved that he should never have been included in the England squad, after a season where he barely played football. It was lucky then that Eric Dier was the player that remained in midfield also in this game. He's having a huge tournament, at times I thought he resembled an English version of Iniesta
Kayteo (Manchester United) 3 weeks ago
Don't mean to hate, but what's the plan exactly?

This is what I meant when I said 'we don't know what we're doing'

I think the plan is 'cram all the strikers in. '
SoccerIsFootbal (Manchester United) 2 weeks ago
Honestly I think roy's going to waste this opportunity. I don't think england have a plan. Sometimes it looks like they want possession, other times like they want to play on the break. Three strikers with the relatively inexperienced defence you guys have, and slightly weak midfield, seems like problems. Especially since it doesn't seem you have an attacking identity
NZLfootballer (Manchester United) 1 month ago
England can't hold possession at all.... I miss watching the Trio in midfiend Gerard, Scholes and Lampard
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 weeks ago
The trio that won England all those trophies?
Kayteo (Manchester United) 1 month ago
Very inexperienced side - very few international caps and very little european experience. Do we think that's a problem for the likes of drinkwater (possibly england's best midfielder this year), rose, or dier?
Kayslay (Manchester United) 2 months ago
What a great job by Roy Hodgson. The team is looking good and the youth are ready to perform.

Rooney is captain and legend but I don't see a spot for him here.

If he goes to the euros he'll be the spanner in the works.

Walcott is another spanner not worth taking. The competition is good and should dictate who goes. Form is important
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 months ago
Danny Rose is the 76th Spurs player to play for England. No other club has provided more.
Tottenham 76
Aston Villa 73
Liverpool 67
Everton 66
Man Utd 64
Arsenal 63
Blackburn 48
Man City 45
Chelsea 44
West Bromwich 43
Sheffield Wed 43
West Ham 39
Derby 39
Nottingham Forest 37
Newcastle 35
Sheffield Utd 34
Wolverhampton 34
Southampton 33
Leeds 31
Middlesbrough 31
Shaymoose17 (Arsenal) 3 months ago
They had a good set up today playing all the in form players from spurs. As Arsene would say, "that's good solidarity. "
Brilliant come back for England, turning 0-2 to a 3-2 win (Kane, Vardy, Dier).

And who says the Germans have no sense of humor, playing Monty Python's "Always look on the bright side of life" after the final whistle...
England squad for March friendlies, vs Germany in Berlin and vs Netherlands at Wembley:

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City).

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City).

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)
Shaymoose17 (Arsenal) 3 months ago
Lol why is theo even in the roster?
Kayslay (Manchester United) 2 months ago
Theo is there to create an air of competition in the camp. This will keep the gunmen on their toes and hopefully sharper. He has no place on anyone's starting 11 for England
My word, I think Aaron Lennon should get another England call up for the Euros....  He has had an excellent season at Everton!
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 7 months ago
Kayteo (Manchester United) 7 months ago
England - we still haven't a clue what we're doing
ScouserDan (Liverpool) 7 months ago
Man no wonder England never do well. The England "fans" doubt and criticize every chance they get
Moe66 (Manchester City) 7 months ago
England actually is doing a much better then recent years. They've got talent, now its all about being able to bring the best out of them. We've seen in the wc2014 that Sterling, Barkley, Welbeck, Sturridge, Henderson and Luke Shaw are going to be big for England in the future. Now add Dele Alli, Kane, Wilshere, Walcott, Stones, Dier, Butland, Chamberlin etc. If fit, England have a host of players that are top quality imo. I think England really need to stick with a 4-3-3 formation at this point.

I would love to see:
----------------Hart------------
Clyne-----Smallings-Stones---Shaw
-------------Dier----------
-----Alli---------Henderson---
Walcott/Barkely-------Kane------Sterling

Or
------------Hart---------
Clyne--Jones-Smallings-Shaw
-----------Dier---------
--Wilshere------Henderson
Sturridge/Chambo----Kane----Welbeck/Milner

Kane imo is England best striker right now, Rooney needs to find his form but Kane really puts the oppositions defensive to work, his dangerous. Now with outside forwards England good oppositions but its going to come down to delivery but above all its about how England is going to control the MF. Dier is England's best holding MF that an actual DM, Henderson can be the B2B man and the 3rd MF has to an play-making MF like Wilshere who shouldn't have shouldn't be playing DM considering how much he can contribute in attack.

Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 7 months ago
Kayteo (Manchester United) 3 weeks ago
Anybody?
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 9 months ago
Back in the day, when Kevin Keegan and Trevor Brooking were two of the classiest players in world football, beating Italy 2-0:

Https://m.Youtube.Com/watch?V=YDVGoEQoEJU
Jeroen (Barcelona) 1 year ago
Https://twitter.Com/hilare_belloc/status/583192598061400064    Hah!
Deffyduck (Arsenal) 1 year ago
Assuming Uncle Woy is going to try to fit both Kane and Rooney into the same lineup (and presumably Welbeck on the wings), what sort of lineups would we like to see?
Deffyduck (Arsenal) 1 year ago
I'd like a blend of youth and experience:

Hart

Clyne-Smalling-Jagielka-Gibbs

Carrick-Henderson

Welbeck-Rooney-Sterling

Kane

Cannon (Arsenal) 1 year ago
Sterling was really good as a number 10 last season. Rooney is a horrible 10, so he can probably play on the wings
Umairrockx (Barcelona) 1 year ago
Congrats Rooney!    First English man under 30 to reach 100 caps!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football