Forums / Dreamfooty - footytube fantasy league
Order: Newest / Oldest
Oh, The Horror!
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
The dreamfooty transfer window is drawing to a close, thousands of managers have ached their heads over which parts of the team to strengthen, which players would best fit in and which players' services are no longer required. After careful consideration, balanced decisions were made in a transfer window which saw numerous teams attract defenders solid as rock, midfielders lauded for their creativity and intelligence and strikers so lethal Rambo would be embarrassed.
With the teams set for another struggle to reach unparalleled heights or remain top of the bill, the only possible scenario that could give dreamfooty managers nightmares now is a last-minute serious injury, or a string of injuries of several players. But what are the odds of that happening, right?

But sure enough, the job of a football manager is full of surprises, sometimes pleasant ones, but more often the very nasty kind. BBC reported today that no less than 3 major Premier League clubs watched in agony how some of their star players got injured right before initiating the final phase of the season.

Chelsea's Ashley Cole fractured his ankle after he and Landon Donovan went for the ball but collided in the game against Everton and is out for no less than 3 whole months. Red Devil legend Ryan Giggs was taken off in the game against Aston Villa on Wednesday after he fractured his arm, and has to recover at least 4 weeks. And injury worries increase for the Gunners as Andrey Arshavin's hamstrings failed to cooperate in one of the elegant striker's moves. Furthermore, Arshavin's teammate Alex Song has knee ligament troubles and it doesn't look like Van Persie will be playing this season at all.
And not mentioning that other team of the Big Four in the Premier League, Liverpool, would be cruel. They had to miss their captain, their king, Steven Gerrard for too long. Fernando Torres was so upset about Stevie G's injuries that he injured himself to show his support to Steven with his recovery.

Now the question arises: what happens if you, the dreamfooty managers, are struck with the horror of multiple injuries? Will you be noble, a little naive perhaps, and keep your faith in the players or will you be the opportunist and quickly replace them?

Sources:

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/...

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/...

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/...
Gerrard4ever (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Well I couldn't replace them. So cole goes on the bench and and I am expecting arshavin and alves to come back in at least 2 weeks. I had to no other choice, I would have been playing injured players anyway so I decided to ignore the injuries for the greater good. if I could buy four people then I could have solved the problems though
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
I struck the horror of losing first spot to you. Ugh!
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Yeah, thanks to Messi and Xavi (both star players of mine) who climbed up the DF charts really fast the last couple of weeks, my team is doing great too. Somehow they didn't get rated right though, but Matt fixed that a couple of weeks ago which meant my team was boosted with about 200 pts.
Unfortunately Xavi is injured now as well, so you might catch up with me soon enough.

Kind of unrelated to that but worth mentioning: Barça is now missing Alves, Xavi, Keita, Abidal and Chygrynskyi to injuries. And with Piqué and Marquez suspended it wasn't a surprise they finally lost a game last week

Kick4Life - changing lives through football