Forums / Dreamfooty - footytube fantasy league
Order: Newest / Oldest
Dreamfooty Blog
Mauijim (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Yup. Sold off Rooney and he runs off and scores a brace. Typical.
Tough decision but did it, and its done.
Sold Rooney, Evans, Ramires to net 30 million.
Picked up Xavi, Robinho, and some dude from that isn't likely to see 90 minutes for the rest of the season.
Lets hope it pays off. Lot of pressure now on Ruess and Hernandez
AAaGGGHHH!
Can't decide to sell Rooney or not!
Thus far he has held his own and been a solid pick. Not to mention he is United.
I've also taken great pride in the fact I have not, at any time, had a player from city, liverpool or real madrid. (and never will)
Nevertheless, I think I may be selling Rooney to free up some cash, and sadly, he won't be replaced with a Red Devil.
At times like these, footytube makes me nuts.
I will also be weakening my defence to try and strengthen the mid. Have to be thinking of who will be in the finals at this point
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
I've been wanting to sell him about a week after I bought him. Damn inconsistent bastard. As soon as the TW opens up, he's outta' here
Ha ha. I know what you mean Jeroen. He has earned ya some points though, right?
Interestingly enough, I am thinking about using the proceeds to pick up Xavi instead.
No, actually he's given me ridiculously little points, because I bought him after he scored a ton

Xavi would be a very good option, but I already have 2 Barça players and an expensive midfield. I'm going for Benzema, most likely
Any real madrid player getting solid game time would be a good investment at this stage of the game, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Such is my despise of the special one. Lol
Haha, I'm extremely pragmatic/opportunistic when it comes to games. If I can win with buying a player I hate, I will. I don't really see why you would drag personal opinions or morale in games either.

For example: I love playing poker, and I'm pretty good at it. But it's really not a game where there's room for personal feelings. You just try to find the best path, like water running down a mountain
Ahhh, but does water run down hill because it chooses to or because it has to?

Water is not something alive or conscious, hence it has no power of making choices. Water is something dead and inert.

Water runs downhill because it is acted on by the forces of gravity; it has no choice in the matter,

On the other hand, some people who are more animistic in their general philisophical outlook, and who tend to endow mountains and rivers with "spirits" or "souls, " would more likely answer that water chooses to run downhill. If asked why the water would choose to run downhill, they might be sorely pressed for an answer.

Well, suppose a physicist came along and told the animist that it does not choose to, but runs downhill merely because of the law of gravity. The animist would then ask the physicist to explain the law of gravity, and he would.

Then, the animist would be utterly delighted and say; "Wonderful! Marvelous! Amazing! Now I see why water chooses to run downhill. Of course! The water at the top of the hill is obviously very uncomfortable being subject to this unpleasant force, and hence, to relieve its painful tension, flows downhill where it can be more comfortable and rest in peace.

So the animist was right. Water will seek the most comfortable place of rest.

Interestingly enough, if you asked a pure operational scientist, Does water run downhill because it has to or because it chooses to? He would answer "neither. "

You see in science proper there are no such notions as "choosing to" or "having to;" science merely describes what things in fact do happen. So, the scientist would say; "It neither chooses to nor has to. It simply does. "

I find it interesting that most Zen Buddhists would agree with him on this point.
(Raymond Smullyan, This Book Has No Title)

And that is to say nothing of the fatalist who may say that flowing downhill is what water is destine to do
This is a very interesting subject Maui, and one I'd really love to elaborate on. I'm one of those guys that likes nothing better than to sit down with friends and philosophy about these things. So, let's roll

My opinion is that every single thing in our universe has come to be through a phenomenon we can not yet fully understand. There's always a questionmark remaining when explaining evolution. But, consider that one, very first origin of everything as a given, and everything else there is now becomes a simple part of the evolution process. We are living on a most extraordinary planet, where the circumstances are so that there is a possibility for life. And plenty of it too.

As soon as we speak of life though, a very important question arises: 'what defines life? '. Is it a combination of matter that can move about in a coordinated way, is it everything that can consume other matter to its own benefit and growth? There really is no definite answer to this, as it is as much a scientific question as it is a personal one. My view on this, is that *takes sip of his tea* there is no clear boundary, ever.

A central idea in our definition of 'humanity' is that we are able to think in an abstract way more than all other animals, and especially more as plants, who have no brain as we know it. Animals do all things based on their instinct, as to optimize their chances of living and reproducing. Many people believe we are (slightly) above that. And although it is clear we humans are more intelligent than any other creature on this planet, I don't agree with it. I simply look at our brain, our ability to think in abstract ways and our ability to disagree with impulses and instincts, as another organ to optimize our chances for survival and reproduction. As soon as we become too smart to make this brain of ours a handy tool for these two main goals in life, evolution will take care of it and the smarter individuals will not be as successful and therefore eventually disappear.

Now comes my whole thesis: is it true that what we do, is because we actively choose to? I don't think so. I think this entire dissertation of mine for example, is as much a reflex as an insect looking for a flower to suck on. My flower, in this case, is an enjoyable discussion with a sympathetic guy over the internet. And the whole process that's instigated me to do so, was started by that organ that, according to many, distinguishes us from everything without it: our brain.

As soon as you share the same idea, that our brain is as much controlled by us as our heart, for example, then you'll realize that we are not more active thinkers than water streaming down a mountain. Rather we are both products of evolution, optimizing their chances in life.

Therefore, I completely agree with what Zen-Buddhists and your notion of scientists think. Namely: there are certain truths in our universe that are simply so. Much like dogma's once were truths you had to accept in religion. These truths are the laws of physics in this universe, and that is the end of that. Because of those laws, certain things happen the way they do, and all that is and will come to be, will be subject to them
Isn't it beautiful that Rooney is the instigator of all this? Like the Buddhists would say: 'out of the dirt, a flower has risen'
Hehe. Nice Jeroen. I'll comment when I get back later tonight. I'm off watching the kids play. Cheers!
Alright Jeroen. Sorry for the delay responding to your post. Lets talk "brain, " or rather neuroscience, since you have given it soo much weight in your thesis. I think you will enjoy adding this information into your thesis and perhaps it'll even provide a different perspective.

In 1973, Paul MacClean, then a research scientist, coined the term triune brain. He proposed three distinct subdivisions of the brain, each corresponding to an evolutionary era of development which was responsible for unique behavioral functions.

"three interconnected biological computers, each with its own specific intelligence, its own subjectivity, its own sense of time and space and its own memory. "

Although neuroscientific research has since advanced exponentially and raised some opposition to how these three brain regions evolved and interact, the basis of MacLean's triune brain research is not without merit, and continues to be instrumental in understanding human behavioral functions.

The R-complex, Basal Brain: At the core of our brainstem, the Reptilian Brain, as it is richly known, supports the essential physical functions and systems of our body; respitory, circulatory, digestive, etc.
It also plays a role in survival habits like mating and territorial behavior.
In addition, to the natural reponses of aggression and fear, the reptillian brain keeps us entrenched in safe familiar environments. Never venturing into new territory.
It's behavioral purpose is that of preservation and safety.

The Limbic System: Once secured in a safe environment, protection and love became natural extensions of viable survival strategies and are the primary purpose of the limbic system.
The roles of protection generate a need for cor contact, recognition and engagement, as in the bond between mother and child.
This hunger for contact developed into closely knit groupings, tribes, further ensuring survival.
Responsibility, protection, bonding and emotions like love, sadness, jealousy and hope all have their seat in the limbic brain. It is the seat of our values.

The Neo-cortical Brain: Highly evolved, the neocortex permits higher brain functions, speaking, writing, planning, symbolic reasoning and conceptualization. Most are aware of the neo-cortex in terms of left and right brain hemispheres: Left brain being logical, mathmatical, analytical and the right being musical, humorous, creative, metaphorical, spontaeous and oriented in higher relationships.
Though our neo-cortex is a powerful processor, it will ultimately yield to forces of emotions and survival.

By these definitions, a lot of your thesis is actually founded in solid neuroscientific research. Interesting, huh?

How we recognize and deal with these different levels of behavior can make for very successful management.
Reptillian: Am I safe?
Limbic: Do you care?
Neocortex: Is it interesting?
And lastly Prefontal lobe: Am I inspired?

All that being said, we used the term evolution(ary) quite often.
However, I believe evolution to only be a process, not an explanation, which is another debate all together.
Anyone ever think to pick the worst dreamfooty team?
I think I may try it next season. My goal would be to have a negative balance at the end of the season.
Imagine, you could select those players that have a pension for getting cards, defenders that give up 3+ goals a game. The possibilities are endless. Lol
Tony (footytube staff) 2 years ago
I already have that team.... Lol
C'mon Tony. That lot you have is poised for greatness. They'll make their run in the final weeks
Juan Rodríguez for Gatafe has only 3 starts and still collected 3 yellows. He could make the squad next season
Like andy johnson, sent off tonight.... Lol
Sumdumfu (Los Angeles Galaxy) 2 years ago
I know right? I even sat xabi alonso so I could switch to a 4-3-3 with abdellouie and johnson in the lineup, thinking I was being all clever, and he does that in added time
I sold alonso, he's far from a points earner, good player, but he's not fit for dreamfooty purposes
Fiasc0 (Eintracht Braunschweig) 2 years ago
Very interesting challenge. To pick the worst players isn't easy
Sumdumfu (Los Angeles Galaxy) 2 years ago
@tony - for 10M alonso's a good value but only if you have him for a whole season. He was 10th overall last season among midfielders, and I'm pretty sure he was in the top 20 the season before that. He doesn't bag a lot of points per game, but the fact that he's in every. Single. Game. Makes his points add up over the long haul
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Currently 293rd, highest i've ever been I think my defence (+ goalie) have been pretty good and have gotten me 531 points combined just need to sort out my midfield and get a better striker than Negredo!
Sumdumfu (Los Angeles Galaxy) 3 years ago
Nice. Almost half my lineup didn't play this weekend, all through nagging little injuries. At least messi came through and saved my ass; only dropped about 10 places
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Messi ah envy the lucky people that have him
Yeah but I envy everyone else's rest-of-their-lineups

Your defence makes me dream what-ifs to no end. And friggin chelsea need to stop giving up one goal every game grrrr
Mauijim (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Would Heynckes, Messi, Ronaldo, and Neuer be enough to bring a dreamfooty team victory?
It would have meant spending 85m leaving only 40m for the remaining 10 spots. (+pro budget)

Next, determine the star players. Allowing 8m for each, that would leave 3m for each of the remaining spots.
Certainly at the start of the season, the 3m deals were out there. Now, may be a bit tougher, though some are still there.

Nevertheless, the question is, would those key players, Ronaldo and Messi, combined with top choices in the manager and keeper positions, be enough to win it all?
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Its a very good question and I'd be curious to see if any teams out there actually did go with Messi and Ronaldo. I think having both of those would guarantee a top 100 finish, but the rest of your team would have to be quality 3 million players
There was one guy in the 'teams' thread that went messi/ronaldo at the beginning of the season, but he's since dropped one of them. Your approach, I feel, would be tricky to say the least. The DF winner last season scored something like 6000+ pts, and messi/naldo only scored about 1300 combined. Even with one of them as a star player, that only gets you about 2000 pts, to put it optimistically. Even if you managed to grab the best mid/defender as stars, that would only get you another 1000, and for 8M that's not gonna' happen. But say you do, you're only up to 3000 from 4 players. You'd still need another 3000 pts from your other 10 3M players, or 300 pts per. Not gonna' happen from 3M players man.

Technically the average pts for your other players has to be higher than that even, since 3 of them won't score each week while they're on the bench
Mauijim (Manchester United) 3 years ago
So lets say 6500 to win it.... Less Messi as star (1500).... Less Ronnie (750).... Gives us 4250.
4250 less coach (500).... Less keeper (500).... Leaves 3250.
3250 less starred defender (800).... Less starred mid (800).... 1650.
1650 divided by remaining 6 player positions.... 275 per.
Would that be close?
I don't remember what the winning point values were last season but it seems like it might not be quite enough.
At 275 per player, and say 38 appearances, it would require an average per match of 7+.
That might be too much to ask. Probably get lucky with a few bargains, but overall, its a bit much
And all those are best case scenarios. Realistically, you're not gonna' get anywhere near the best mid/defender for 8M. Also I think spending money on keepers is the worst value of all, as they're essentially defenders that are guaranteed to never score goals.

Off topic, but I think keepers need their own pt scoring stats next season to increase their value, like saves or some percent thereof.

Overall, I think this team in a realistic sense, would be lucky to be in the top 500
Man, UCL group A is boosheet. No easy points against eastern european cupcakes = no fair!

Barca
Ac milan
Villareal
Bayer leverkusen

Wtf?!?
Gerrard4ever (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Group A is bayern, napoli, city, villarreal but yeah its still not fair. From a dreamfooty perspective I want city and bayern going through but otherwise I want napoli and villarreal
Doh haha you're absolutely right, but still a murderer's row, which is a shame because all those teams deserve to advance to knockout. Especially if you look at the likes of group G, you have to wonder, who seeded these teams? Or do they do a random grouping?
Anybody know why abdellaoue didn't play this weekend?
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 3 years ago
s**t.... Bent is down and Serie A prob won't make up the lost games.... Looks like another top 500 finish for me.... Sucks! I knew I should have gone for more Bundesliga players.... And I was ready to do it too.... But noooo.... As soon as I started to look at EPL players I got all excited.... Jeesh...
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Not bad atm to be honest, Regret not putting Dzeko, Boateng, and Young as stars, and unfortunately Gotze is suspended (Canales to the rescue) and Taiwo is injured (Erm Mancienne to the rescue?)
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Do you believe that some one here convinced me not to put dzeko in my team. So I sold him and upgraded my midfield and got that 3 million striker instead. What made is worst is that he has dzeko in his team. Remind me never to take advice from my competition
Hahaha that's funny. I'm really curious who backstabbed you like that. But it's not like it was a bad choice - abellaouie has more points than dzeko at the moment and I think the former is more likely to keep it up than the latter
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
You really think Abde will keep his form up rather than Dzeko? I don't have Dzeko, and of course do have Abde, but just look at their respective stats throughout their careers. Dzeko was a goal-machine in Germany and with Bosnia, Abde is already 25 and only really started to play this well recently. I really think Dzeko simply lacked confidence last year, and therefore no trust from his manager. That's why I didn't buy him. But now, this might just be his year. I'd definitely not be surprised if he became the PL's top scorer
I really do yes. Dzeko has been scoring in bunches this year, at a rate only messi or ronaldo could keep up, so I'm certain his scoring rate will go down.combined with the fact that I think he's the 3rd best striker they have behind tevez and aguero, i'll be surprised if he sees 30 starts this year in total.

Meanwhile abdellaouie has been scoring at a more consistent, manageable rate, which is why I think he'll keep it up. His price shocked me because in my research I found he was hannover's starting striker last year as well, scoring 10 goals. And there's no chance he loses his spot to another player, unless he has a severe drop of form
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 3 years ago
The Italian strike is really killing me, apart from that I wish Gundogan would step up, saying that he is in his first season with Dortmund. He's a creative player though, exactly why I signed him, wish he would let that creativity flow. At least assign him to take corner kicks, eh Klopp?
On another note, Dzeko has proved to be an absolute bargain, I don't see his current form petering out any time soon, although it is wishful thinking to see him bag 4 goals every match, but then again, I always knew he was a world class striker. No emergency transfer windows for me, just an average dreamfooty non-pro user, it'd be an honour finishing in the top 10
Don't you think he's gonna' lose quite a bit of playing time once tevez comes back and aguero cracks the starting lineup?
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Who knows exactly what will happen. I just know that if he continues his current form, and even if it isn't always outstanding, he will still see the pitch a lot of the time. Mancini is also preferring to post more attacking lines up this season, Dzeko is here to stay, he offers something different to the two small Argentine wonder boats. Hopefully Dzeko will become a teacher's pet like figure to Mancini. His favourite student. Is other competition what scared you off from acquiring Dzeko? You shouldn't have worried. Did you take any risks this season, or are you playing it safe (a la Messi, a Barcelona defender, Ozil, Rooney)?
Tevez not leaving and aguero coming in are what scared me away from dzeko, still do. He got off to a hot start for sure but I think it's a certainty he'll cool off. But for 8M he'd be a fantastic bench striker for sure. I just need to figure out my finances for that one. And hope matt doesn't jack up his price heh.

Frankly I thought playing it safe this year meant no messi/ronaldo since they cost so much. There were a lot of pretty sure bets for mid money out there, but making a viable lineup with one of those two I thought was the bigger challenge. I took a couple gambles, some that are paying off and some that aren't. Joel the keeper for atletico seems to only be a cup keeper; hasn't started the last two la liga matches. Abdellouie of hannover96 was an absolute steal; it remains to be seen if hernanes of lazio will pan out, especially if the strike goes on a long time but he has potential to put up huge numbers I feel; a worthy risk for 9M.

But mikel arteta to arsenal, now that's intriguing
What do you guys think of all the crazy last minute tranfers today oh. Oh? What were some really choice/interesting ones as far as dreamfooty goes?
There are a few more bargains present but I won't act until they have played at least 2-3 games in a row
I like your team but this is a team I was going to use that only cost 115 million

Hithere (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I've had a mixed start. Rooney and Dzeko with a boatload of goals = great. Gotze sent off, Dani Alves not playing and missing out on the clean sheet = BAD.

My midfield was bad with Gotze. Now without Gotze it's downright terrible. Hopefully Rooney keeps scoring a boatload of goals to make up for it
I hope rooney plays just as well as he did for me last year
Hithere (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Haha.... Not looking like it, the way he's been scoring goals! I remember you had him from the start when he was in terrible terrible form
Not a bad start. Should start closing the gap with you leaders once messi starts getting some games in. Jumped up a hundred places after messi's game on monday. I think it'll be nigh on impossible to buy messi/ronaldo into your squad if you didn't have them to begin with because it'll be really tough to free up that much money with just 3 xfers in a window.

Now to tweak my midfield with the upcoming window. Hope nobody used an emergency xfer already =/
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Its interesting to read back through the first few discussions in this topic and see that we implemented almost everything we had planned to in order to improve the game
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Vive la tube
Going into the international break in second which I not bad but I think I am going to open my first emergency transfer soon

Kick4Life - changing lives through football