Forums / Dreamfooty - footytube fantasy league
Order: Newest / Oldest
DF Prices Analysis [Charts!]
Hithere (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Had a lot of time on my hands. Wanted to know how the player prices between the 4 leagues compared. Used Excel and made some charts to compare DF prices across the 4 leagues.

Accurate as of 26th Oct, 2012.

Number of Players by Price Range

Average Price by Teams
(Red are UCL teams, Blue are Europa League teams)

Average EPL player price: 6.2

Average La Liga player price: 6.1

Average Serie A player price: 5.0

Average Bundesliga player price: 5.4

Observations
- EPL players are the most expensive
- Serie A players seem pretty underpriced
- For teams that play in Europe, Levante have the cheapest players.
- For teams in the UCL, Malaga players are the cheapest (even after the recent price increase of many players). Even cheaper than most teams in the EL.

Notes:
- Managers are included in the prices
- I didn't change the teams of the players that transferred. Example, Van der Vaart is still counted as a Spurs player
- These charts do not differentiate between the starters and the bench warmers. A 3rd choice Bayern Munich GK is still counted as a Bayern Munich player. (Speaking of which, why on earth is a 3rd choice Bayern keeper 10.5m!?)
Zhenwei (Manchester United) 1 year ago
+1
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 1 year ago
Nice stuff Hithere! That gives us a good overview of the players prices with relation to their yield
Bplittle (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Awesome
Jeroen (Barcelona) 1 year ago
Holy crap Hithere, that is.... Awesome! Let me scrutinize those stats for a moment and allow me to thank you already

Edit: A couple of quick conclusions:

-The prices of players of some teams that were mildly successful last year are often inflated. Teams like Bilbao weren't great last year in Spain and are awful this year, but their average player costs more than the average United, Chelsea or Arsenal player. Mönchengladbach and Napoli suffer from the same.

So stay away from teams who lost key players and did not cope with it as well as, say, Málaga did.

- England has more teams that are more or less equals at the top than the other leagues, and English players are more popular than the other players. Therefore it's not illogical the average English player is worth more than those of Germany or Italy.

- Spain has Barça and Madrid, with their players averaging a staggering 12m. Therefore, it's also to be expected the average Spanish league player is quite expensive.

- Germany is a league many don't watch (your loss!) and the league is extremely well-balanced and the balance of power changes almost every year. Thank you German financial fair play, but it also explains why only Bayern and (to a lesser extent) Dortmund have such expensive players. The other teams might've been top 5 last year, but that doesn't even guarantee they'll be in the Bundesliga two years after that. That's how close the league is in terms of quality.

- Italian players are underrated. I think that is true. The fact Napoli (plagued by the corruption scandals and the loss of Lavezzi) are supposed to be by far the best team as they are by far the most expensive, is odd. Some teams did lose a lot of expensive players too (AC Milan, Napoli, Udinese), and many people believe the Serie A is at an all-time low in terms of relative quality (compared to the other big leagues), which is further reason they might be so underrated.

I'll make a 'dream team' to add to your stats so far Hithere, this is fun ^^
Yeah, I admit I don't watch much German football and I made the mistake of getting the Stuttgart manager early on. Also got a Wolfsburg player and they are crap this season. The only safe bet in bundesliga in DF seems to be Bayern Munich and their cleansheets. It's a very hard league to predict and it's a gamble. Most of the 3m - 5m unknown bargains that end up being great DF players almost always seem to come from there, like with Mönchengladbach last season
Haha! Hithere, I concur. Only bayern is the team that is really consistent in bundesliga. I almost made the mistake of having more players from the league without knowing much about them just because they are playing in europe.

@ Jeroen: pretty good observations there about the leagues, btw I think Napoli is there due to their performances in Europe last season, where they did pretty well
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
You're awesome, now when are you going to release the info about the perfect DF team?
All right, it took me about 2 hours of calculating, checking stats of the players and photoshopping, but this is it. The ultimate team one might have had with a 134m budget!

* Right-click the image and open it in a new tab if you can't see it properly, or download it
* These are the prices of the players at the beginning of August 2012, which means a few of them are no longer this cheap
* The points the players received are those ONLY of games after 31/08/2012
* I photoshopped this picture by taking a printscreen of my own team, opening a PRO+ transfer window, buying all of those players (I only have Carrera and Messi of this team) and copy-pasting. Copy-pasting a lot.
* It IS possible there are even better combinations for under 135m, but I have found none. Except of course the one where you go for a lame 5-4-1 and bought 3.5m rated Weligton instead of 5.5m rated Eliseu. Why do I only now think of that? *grumblegrumble*. Prove me wrong if you can!
Nice dream team Jereon. And seamless photoshopping
It's quite surprising that Mata is the star MF. Maybe this shows that it IS possible to have a winning team with no Ronaldo + Messi.... But you'd have to be able to predict the future
Wow, I like the midfield. @. @ Mata + fibreglass + hernanes
Yeah, I was also a bit surprised Mata was the midfielder who racked up the most points since September, though not very. He's been excellent for Chelsea, getting assists, goals, clean sheets and of course wins.

Turns out Mata and Lahm both have 102 points since Sept. which is the third most after of course Messi and Ronaldo. Neither is very surprising, but when I counted how many points the Bayern defenders had collected after August, it was staggering to see they haven't conceded a goal in Germany for 5 games. Dayum! Compare that to other top teams, who usually get a clean sheet one game, and then concede goals the other two games...
Bayern is very solid in attack and defence too, minus some games where they conceded the odd goals, they would probably rake in more points...
I just hope they'll go down the same path they did last year, but they look more solid now
Thanks guys. I'm glad you guys liked it. I still have my spreadsheet and I'm trying to find other things I can do with it. For one thing, I can filter the prices by positions to see which leagues/teams got the cheapest ATT or DEF for example.

But right now I'm trying to add another "games played" column to the top teams so that I can filter out those fringe players from the teams. It took me about 2 hours just to do the top 6 EPL teams though. This is gonna' take a while
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
If you want to move it to a google documents and share it I will help you fill in numbers in my spare time, just let me know what you need done and I'll be the monkey on the type writer
I'll create a google doc spreadsheet. I don't think it has all the nice functions of Excel though. But at least I'll put the data there
Nice work there hithere, I'm gonna' use this information HAHA Yes some players are priced ridiculously based on the performances of last season. With the sole exception of Messi and Ronaldo, both being the highest scoring players.

Gonna' throw in my two cents as well...

EPL Players vs La Liga
- I noticed the crazy EPL prices too, but there were bargains at the start of the season Hazard (10m) and kagawa (11m). I since sold kagawa, and only have just 3 EPL players on my team, with two being bargains under 5 million, LOL!

- One of the stat you could check is the "point for money" players. And Laliga being the highest scoring league (no thanks to Messi and Ronaldo) offer alot of points for their top teams given the gulf in the forerunners and the rest of the league. Even fringe players of certain Laliga clubs can rake in the points based on their team's performance.

I believe the EPL offers less value for the same amount of money being the pricier league. For example, when you can get Falcao at 16m or even isco (8m) who may rake in about the same price, EPL players are more like RVP (18m) and Rooney (17m). That few millions saved could become a bargain buy somewhere else.

Serie A Players
Serie A was one of the poorest leagues in scoring goals, and therefore, having defenders of this league would raise the probability of having cleansheets generally. However one still needs defenders from top teams who would perform, or at least make the starting eleven week in week out.

The weaker apparent scoring ability will mean generally lesser points as well for Serie A's attackers compared to a higher scoring league like EPL or La Liga.

(hithere's charts show just how this is a fact: only 8 players in 12.5-15m range and one past 15m) is little compared to rest of leagues.

Serie A's players are also suffering because the league is underperforming in Europe in recent seasons and perhaps that is reflected in the pricing. German successes have seen them overtake the italians in the coefficient and therefore UCL seedings.

Link: Link: www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/why-serie-a-te...

Bundesliga Players
Lol, what can I say, Bayern is a team everyone needs to have at least one or two players from on their DF team! Whether in attack or defence bayern has been a real consistent team, whereas a team like borussia m'gladbach has struggled to find consistency. (esp in defence where it was great last season)

I would agree with jeroen that it's teams are pretty competitive. It's therefore hardest to gauge the german league, because there's quite a bit of bargains there (like Hannover 96 players this season) and even the new promoted team Fortuna Düsseldorf raking in the points at defence.

Looking to my own team, I have little EPL players and only seriously 1 bundesliga player lol. Attack is made up of La Liga and defence mainly bargains from serie A xD
Here's more!

More in depth price comparisons.

Notes
- about 11 to 13 games have been played when I took down the stats. These are appearances from the start of the 2012-2013 season, not when DF started counting points. Two-legged Europa League qualifying rounds added 2 extra games to some teams.
- Appearances counted: the league games, ucl/el games, domestic cups and two legged EL qualifiers are counted. Other games like friendlies, Community Shield, Supercopa UEFA Super cup are not counted.
- Also appearances are counted if the player plays at least a part of the match, whether it's 1 minute or the whole 90.
- Schalke and Dortmund have one more game played. Because I took the Bundesliga stats today while I took the other league stats yesterday. I didn't feel like substracting the Schalke and Dortmund appearances just for this chart.

Observations
- Bundesliga teams either don't like to rotate their players and/or use a lot of subs per game. Which is great for DF.
- Meanwhile, teams like Man United rotate their players way too much!
Nice work! The rotation information is pretty useful
Badge (Manchester United) 1 year ago
HOLY SH*T! And I thought I was taking DF too seriously  Awesome work, bro! Really interesting and useful info  Thanks!
Interesting chart from WhoScored  
Interesting stat chart Hithere. There are a few from opta too about a few players. Which is interesting to say which players are "more effective" in their positions
Messi is a freak according to this chart. An outlier

Kick4Life - changing lives through football