Forums / Chelsea
Order: Newest / Oldest
Chelsea V Benfica Lisbon, Apr 4
LuisFigo7 (Benfica Lisbon) 2 years ago
So a forgotten penalty in the first leg for benfica, this red card on maxi perreira.... We played beautiful football I'm proud of my team better than chelsea, and we had four injuries in the defence before the game...
UnseenChelseaFa (Chelsea) 2 years ago
With all of what you said there's still one thing you need to realize. Chelsea still won both games and that's WHAT matters!
Footyfan102011 (Benfica Lisbon) 2 years ago
Yea because of refereeing and luck.... Wtv saves us a defeat against barca and gives you the biggest embarasment in soccer history.... Ooohhh I can't wait to see what barcas gonnna do with you guys.... If benfica dominated both games and were one man down on this one barca will beat you at least 4-o each game...
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Must admit that was a bullcrap redcard that did change the game, would like to see how the game would have been if the ref was not an idiot
Nobody cumplain about referee yesterday everybody was against barca.... Looks like nobody is afraid of chelsea anyway good luck vs barca if you play like you played against benfica...
Mike91 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Please be thankful that Chelsea didn't decide to play football with you guys. The scoreline would have read 5-0 and 3-0! Benfica played better yes they did but that is because Chelsea barely even considered your team a threat. Now go back to your Portugese league games and leave Europe for the big dogs!
Slb11kp7 (Benfica Lisbon) 2 years ago
Don't get too carried away Mike91 because while we'll be in europe again next season.... You may not be. A little humility would suit you well. 5-0 against Benfica? I saw nothing that would verify that over the last 2 games we played but good luck against Barca
Styka (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Chelsea doesn't need to play beautiful mate, what they need is to reserve energy, and get the win they needed. The f*****g FA is never on the team's side, stupid fixtures had to make teams adapt to situations.

Don't make assumptions based on your perspective, the EPL is a harsh league, too much games to be played, no holidays, sometimes it's just plain stupid.

And yeah, this is coming from a United fan
Rajmahal 2 years ago
Maxi's challenge was worthy of a straight red. You could tell by his face that he knew he screwed up. Any time you go in with your studs crashing into the opponents shin is a straight red for me.
There were barely any complaints by Maxi and his team-mates either.
Dvq1 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Chelsea were always going to play with counter attack to save energy. Benfica only came with a massive spark in last 10 minutes with 10 men. Even without the red-card, they only could afford some long shots. Chelsea stuck to the plan, could have scored a lot more goals if some of the players performed better. Kalou lost so many balls and chances in front of the goal. He is really good in getting into right positions and making those runs, but then fails like always. Raul's goal was amazing! I hope the referee is more patient in throwing yellow cards and let the game flow in Chelsea vs Barca game. Don't want a repeat of their previous meeting when terrible refereeing saw Barca through
Cfroyalbaba (Mohun Bagan AC) 2 years ago
No one can defend like Milan did against Barcelona. They were amazing for the most part. Yikes.... Messi's gonna' have a field day against Chelsea as he'll finally have a chance to stretch his legs.

The only way Chelsea wins: 1) Converting set-pieces religiously.

2) Hoping Meireles/Lamps or anyone can score 1-2 goals from outside the box in at least one of the legs.

3) Hoping neither Messi, Sanchez, Iniesta, Fabregas, Xavi, Pedro, Alves, Thiago, Cuenca, Pique, Tello get more than a few clear chances to score altogether over 2 legs. Barca have been wasteful the last few games, but considering 2009 Pep'll be wanting to finish this tie in the first leg.

Either way, Barcelona are gonna' enjoy this more than playing Milan. And when they enjoy, they dominate lol. Too bad, I like Drogba
Aristokrat (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Get outta' here cool
When chelsea wins the tie I will come back and read this post and laugh my ass off
Dre10 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Diarrhea of the Mouth
Cfroyalbaba (Mohun Bagan AC) 2 years ago

I hope Chelsea can pick a weaker team against Tottenham for FA cup semis to save some energy against Barca. They will surely play Counter attacking football, but giving Barcelona most of the possession will be unwise. I don't expect an entertaining football from Chelsea during first leg. About the red card, if Pereira wasn't on yellow, this would have been a straight red. Rest again, loved the way Benfica played with 10 men in last 10 minutes. They were all charged up
Traonk (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Barca and madrid played on the weekend, we played fa cup aginst tottenham during weekend. So should be fair
Wonder why better links aren't on for this game  
Why did benfica take off carozo and gaitan? Suicide?
Footyfan102011 (Benfica Lisbon) 2 years ago
Resting them for upcoming derby on monday
MohammedSaid (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Chelsea played like they did not even want to be on the field. They put no pressure what so ever on Benfica. Benfica played better overall except their forwards just could not finish. Very boring game except the last 10 minutes were great to watch!
Lol what do you expect from a team tirelessly trying playing on 3 fronts. Players rushing back from injury, playing 2 times a week again highly competitive teams / league since sometime. They were playing counter-attack and saving energy
Lol they were saving energy? Benfica controled the ball...
@ LuisFigo, that's called Counter-attack. Benfica did marginally control the ball more than Chelsea but just above 50% isn't called controlling before the red card. Chelsea were trying to absorb Benfica's energy initially and somehow they did well
Stawrogin 2 years ago
That's no excuse. Why would anyone save energy in a champions league quarter finals? Pointless argument. I was for chelsea from beginning, but judging by their performance, they are not near the best 4 teams of europe, but then again it's hard to tell who really is, except the other 3 teams in the semis.
Tommygecko (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Did you realise Chelsea played 2 matches every week since the fa cup replay at birmingham? And this will continue on until the 2nd leg against barca. That's some crazy schedule, especially when both the premier league and fa cup are important too. We were already 2-0 up on aggregate, we had to save energy otherwise the team will burn out eventually. In my opinion Di Matteo has done a great job to inject some consistency into Chelsea. Sure we may not have performed brilliantly, but it's winning that matters. There's no point fighting so hard to win by a bigger margin and subsequently lose in league games which are equally important. Chelsea should conserve whatever energy they can, and only release them at the vital moments. That's what we can only hope for after a terrible performance in the league
Tommygecko (Chelsea) 2 years ago
And I forgot to mention the players are already tired before the game even begun. It's almost impossible to see Chelsea put in a lively performance. Don't forget Benfica is a good team too
Shuriken (Benfica Lisbon) 2 years ago
Enough with the excuses, Chelsea's playing on 3 fronts? Well guess what? Benfica's playing on 3 fronts too.... Aand was playing with 10 for 50 minutes.... So please, no one saves energy ON a champions league match, they save energy FOR them!
Aristokrat (Chelsea) 2 years ago
At the end of the day, KEEP THE BLUE FLAG flying HIGH! No matter how we are gonna' play against barca & uefa in the semi-finals, I will love and support my team whatsoever. I mean the worst season of all recently for us and we made it to the top 4 in europe? Yeah wassup
Hoping to see a good competition ahead!
Socceric (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Messi vs psycho bob a. K. A David Luiz = 10-0 Barca (over the first leg!) haha, seriously, psycho bob will get mulled over by messi so hopefully di matteo is smart enough to not put him on the bench. Congrats to Chelsea, they have suffered much this season. Hopefully either them or bayern win the champs league
Bakedpotato2 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Ramires is garbage. Idk why he even plays
Lol?
Lol ok
Damon0702 (AS Roma) 2 years ago
Meireles.... What a fxxking Goal.
In fact, Benfica play very to as well, especially they only got 10 players.... Impressive!
Loopster (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Pride of london
I guess I watched a different game then everyone else after reading the comments

The penalty was a clear cut penalty, cole got barged off the ball, anyone who says otherwise is either blind, bitter or looking for any excuse

The red card was a red card, studs up with absolutely no contact with the ball and hit mikel on the shin. He was already on a yellow which just makes it idiotic for him to do that

Chelsea was dominant for 80minutes, only until the last 10 did benfica dominate, people who are saying chelsea are lucky are delusional. If anything benfica are lucky it wasnt 5-1 with all the chances chelsea had

Meireleses goal would have felt oh so sweet especially since he is a former porto boy and since he got heckled and booed during the first leg

Be as bitter as you want, fact is chelsea went through and rightly so. Lets hope the game against barca has no stupid refereeing blunders so that the right team can win this time
Franky4fingers (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Sorry. I agree with everything except the dominant part. Chelsea could have dominated if they weren't playing so negatively which I don't think was a bad strategy considering you're up 2-0 with an away goal. But dominant, no
Xapmx (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Chelsea, for the love of god, beat barca in the semis, that would make my day, so sick of them.
Torres is gonna' prove why he should be the starting striker for spain over the two legs. I will at least garuntee that. As far as winning, um I hope but I seriously doubt.

As for this game, benfica played well, there were some harsh calls, but I believe the better team won
Asif5th (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I consider the Champions League more important than any other competition. Since Chelsea made it way further than us, I can humbly admit that they are better than us this year. Congrats guys, hopefully we get better next year
Elassjay (Chelsea) 2 years ago
It's a cup competition, so it means you perform when it matters. For manchester united, it just means that they didn't perform when it mattered. But in the case of consistency, you guys certainly beat everyone in the league

Kick4Life - changing lives through football