Forums / Basement Chat
Order: Newest / Oldest
The 'Guess The Movie' Thread.
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Quite simple really , post a frame or a screen-shot of a movie that you think would be hard game for the rest of us to guess. Sure there are plenty of film-buffs around , right until you lost your faith in the industry when this came along.

Posters tip : If you find the screenshots of the movie online , make sure to check the link to see if the movie name is in it. If it is ,copy and upload the same url to Imgur so it'll come up with a generic title , taking away the movie name and making it fair game for everyone to guess.

A few simple ones to get the ball rolling :

Hithere (Manchester United) 4 years ago
1. Back to the Future (How come we don't have those awesome boots yet? I mean, it's already 2010!)
2. Clash of the Titans.
3. Not sure, Scarface? I've never watched it.

And good idea for a thread!
3/3 Lu, good start ! Fully concur on the Nike Mc-Flys'.... The auto-lacing shoes should've been out by now haha
Hithere (Manchester United) 4 years ago
It's coming true. Look what I found just the other day! Link: www.engadget.com/2010/08/26/nike-files-patent-for-...
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I saw that post, Hithere, those boots would be slick.... If not for the fact I am not only too lazy to tie shoes, but also too lazy to put them on.

Flip-flops will do
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Lmao Scooter! I wear flip flops for the exact reason
Tweaking the difficulty knob somewhat :

Prejsu (KKS Lech Poznan) 4 years ago
1. Harry Brown (great movie by the way, I would call it the British Gran Torino)
2. Black Hawk Down

Dunno about the third though
Never thought of the comparison but couldn't agree more, Harry Brown IS the British Gran Torino, a whole lot darker.

The third one is an absolute masterpiece and one of the greatest screenplays ever written IMO. I'm sure any fan of film would enjoy it, not giving out any clues.... Yet
Ltm017 4 years ago
Third is 12 angry men.... Really good
Right you are Ltm, think the accused did it?
Ltm017 4 years ago
Hahahaha good question. A possiblity: He did commit the crime but because the witnesses lied in the process they found him not guily. Maybe noone really saw him commit it but doesn't mean he did it.

Or it could be that he just didn't do it and they proved it. I think the first might be a little more interesting
That's the best thing about the movie, just leaves it up in the air at the end and for you to decide. There never was any conclusive proof, which was the deal-breaker. Fantastic movie though, the whole way through

Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Pans Labyrinth  ?  Leon
Got 1 and 3, knew you'd have an eye for the obtuse and freaky Ant haha.

The 2nd one is the easiest of the lot I would've thought, maybe only Leon is more of a give-away.
Hint : The director has work that is generally considered to be some of the most acclaimed movies ever, including that one
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
2nd is Apocalypse Now Stanley is the man
Man Del Toro is a fantastic director as well, seeing those effects again, I wish he was still directing the Hobbit, that would have been the coolest movie in ages. Now we'll see, I kind of hope Peter Jackson isn't directing it but he probably is
They were shuffling around the director's seat weren't they? The studio couldn't make up their mind or Peter Jackson was just content with producing or something like that. Either way, when it does come out, hopefully its as good as it can be, he's probably writing the whole thing just like he did the LOTR
Haha I am watching Leon (The Professional) right now...
Raj (Chelsea) 3 years ago
That Natalie Portman, rawrrr
Ehh.... Not as a 12 year old....

I didn't know she was born in Israel, Jerusalem even, until recently.... That's pretty interesting.
Natalie Portman and Ellen Page, no rules apply hombre ! Besides, I was 6 when she was 12 in the movie, only does a world of good for an adolescent version of me. Born in Israel must have given her some tough bones to add, no wonder they cast her in Leon
I wondered why they couldn't do a sequel.... It would be pretty interesting, really. Especially if they brought Portman back for it
Awesome thread Raj, I'll start easier than maybe A little harder

Now a little more difficult

Pretty tough

Tribalwars (Manchester United) 4 years ago
1. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
2. The Great Escape
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. SLC Punk!
5. Young Frankenstein
6. Memento
7. City of God
8. I am Not There.
9. Easy Rider

Am I correct?
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Not exactly hard if you check the URLs Tribal
I really thought 4 was Taxi Driver, but I'm wrong apparently.

Without doing the URL thing, I only knew 6 out of 9, and I know quite a lot about films
Yeah....
I referred to imdb.com to get the complete movie titles.... And sometimes match the photos with movie titles I knew to confirm....
But without URL I knew too 6 out of 9 to be honest.... I didn't know city of god, Frankenstein and SLC....
But then smart work is any day better than hard work....
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Ya Raj had mentioned that to me in meebo. I guess I am not the best with computers, but hopefully if I post some more you won't be able to see the answer just from the URLs. How do you post pictures without doing this?

They were pretty tough, so I was a little surprised when you got all of them tribal, Raj had a great run of it without using the URLs, everyone seemed to get 6 from 9 haha
I posted the round-about for the URLs Dunk, just look up to the first post. Imageshack does the trick
Nice thanks raj
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Yeah, you can save them on your PC, call them something else and upload them toLink: www.imageshack.com
Woah , this is a handful haha . I've got a few I think ,

-Dr.Strangelove
-Great Escape
-Reservoir Dogs.

-Memento (Out of the medium hard ones)

-City of God
-I'm not There (A really good bio-pic , unique)
- One flew over the Cukoo's nest ?

As a coincidence , I'm watching City of Men

these past few days ... TV series with the same actors and the creator the City of God ...So far its been brilliant. You should check it out if you haven't seen it Dunk , I didn't know about it for a long time myself.

Lil' Dice, Lil' Ze ....They're all there haha

Edit: Arr , replied in the wrong box. Skipping forward and onto the next bunch since Tribalwars seems to have gotten them all.

Nice Raj I will have to check that out, I have heard about it but never seen it. You did pretty well, if you have never seen SLC Punk(which I am guessing you may not have as that picture is pretty iconic of the film) you should check it out. It's a great movie.

As for yours I am lost, totally haha, I may take a guess on the first one as MASH but I could be totally wrong. Is that Redford in the center of that first one? The second movie looks really cool but I don't think I have seen it
Have not seen SLC Punk, you're right.... Definitely should check it out. Sounds like the kind of cult movie one would enjoy.

As for mine, its kinda hard to say from that but here's a Clue : Two of the 3 movies have the same male lead in them. The first one especially is quite easy, you'll realise it when the answer comes out and that isn't Robert Redford , he does look like a starved version of him though haha
Hmm no dice huh, here's another clue, total give-away haha. The male lead I mentioned is Slyvester Stallone
Ahh I was thinking the last one could be a rocky movie, is that right, maybe the fourth one?

First one maybe Rambo? And the second one, I don't know but it looks awesome
Rambo , First Blood yes ....The second one is an older movie of course , a real masterpiece of a movie , about the Plauge in Europe . One you just have to check out Dunk , its called the Seventh Seal , brilliant movie. The 3rd , since many aren't getting it either ...Is Over the Top . The best arm-wrestling movie ever hahaaha. Classic 80's action flick , always enjoyable
Sweet I will check that out, seventh seal, sounds cool. Haha I would have no clue on the arm wrestling one
Drdownundermum (Charlton Athletic) 3 years ago
Max von Sydow is legend

Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
No idea about 1
Is 2 Thank you for smoking?

Anyway, I just watched this film, grabs you by the throat:

Should be easy
Mystic River. Not sure about Tribal's first pick either, the 2nd most cert looks like Thank you for Smoking
Thank you for smoking was a bit easy.
The first one had no big name in it but a cast that has appeared in a lot of famous TV serials.... Example: entourage, Grey's Anatomy etc

Hint:1. Its a dark comedy....
2. It stars one of the most promising young female actors today. She even got nominated for an oscar recently and was a part of a mega hit that was released a few months ago
I've seen the Asian looking chick in Six Feet Under, you've gotta' throw more clues on that one Tribal. Is the guy sitting down on the left Harvey Weinstein?
Tribalwars (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Yes.... From entourage.... Ok.... Lets make it easier.... Ellen Page stars in it
Hmm, Hard Candy? I remember Sandra Oh as the neighbour in it with Ellen Page and the guy from Watchmen
Last clue....  The movie has two different words in its title....  And both start with W....
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
World of Warcraft?  Nah, it's Wilby Wonderful, I've seen it a month or 2 ago. Just didn't think about it
And you sir are right...
Ltm017 3 years ago

Hithere (Manchester United) 3 years ago
You should remove the movie name from the picture url! But I did figure out the 2nd one.

2. Passion of the Christ
3. Lawrence of Arabia
Ltm017 3 years ago
How do you remove it? Wouldn't it affect the post?
Just look up to the 1st post Ltm, I should've mentioned it when I started but put it up now. Imgur, just paste the url and it'll churn out a new one for you, without the name in it.

Is the 1st one Atonement?
Ltm017 3 years ago
Thanks Raj I appreciate it. No it is not Atonement.    It stars a popular French actress
First one is Wuthering Heights I bet. Never saw it, but the scenery is unmistakable
Ltm017 3 years ago
Haha Jeroen no its not Wuthering Heights
I still don't know how to hide the URL or whatever, but just try not to cheat I guess haha until I am enlightened on the subject.

2. The good, the Bad, and the Ugly.... Love those spaghetti westerns.
4. Is Fantasia? Pretty sure it is.

1 is.... Jumangi? No.... Bill and Ted? Or Wayne's World? Dang so many similar chicks in these movies....

3. Seven Monkeys. One of Brad Pitt's best performances that one, good movie too. Argh can't place the first one, its not Catch me if you can , is it?
Haha nice ya you got 'em all, cept the first one. You guys will crack up when you realize what movie it is from. I'll give you a hint, this girl is also a lifeguard in this movie
Baywatch the 70's pilot , no clue haha
1. I am going to loose my mind. Caddy shack?      THE sandlot!
Ya the Sandlot is correct, Wendy Peppercorn, she's a fox man
You couldn't have posted a more American-aimed question if you had included John Wayne, John Travolta, Nicholas Cage, and Bruce Willis. The Sandlot was like a classic.... In the US, at least
Haha ya for sure, love that movie. It's probably one of my favorite sports movies of all time, I prefer it over caddyshack. But now seeing In the Hands of the Gods I think that takes the cake
I have seen most of the aforementioned films but for some reason The Brain doesn't retain the title. Funnily I can usually get the director or writer! I can remember where I saw it and other trivia but not the sodding title.... And I thought I was a real film buff.
Great thread mate!
Quite intriguing in trying to remember older movies by just looking at a single frame and scrambling through your brain, some fun along the way as well. Get involved !

Hmm you are putting up some tough ones Raj. The second one, has to be a Hitchcock movie, at least I think that's Alfred getting on the bus. He's always making cameos in his movies. I am trying to think psycho is black and white so it can't be that. Birds, I don't think so, Vertigo is also black and white, if I am not mistaken. So I think it has to be Rear Window or North by Northwest. I will say and by NW

The third one, I have never seen but I should know the title. Leeds United movie, what is it called? I will leave it for someone else.

I have no idea about the first one
3 is the Damned United    The first is really hard. Not even Google knows.
Spot on Donnman, North by Northwest, you got it. Who could forget how Cary Grant in glorious technicolor hah.... And the opening scene has him walking on the pavement so good shot at guessing. Gotta' love Hitchcock, true master of suspense and has probably set the tone for modern cinema as we know it, thriller/adventures and such. Scooter got the 3rd one as well.

The first one - here's a clue : It's a movie starring a brilliant method actor who has recently hit the mainstream, BIG time. Was also a child actor in a Speilberg movie back in the day
Home alone?
Nada, here's another clue : the same actor was in the recent rubbish sequel of a popular James Cameron franchise
First one is THE machinist.... I am not sure if the answer is correct but from the clues that you have given I can bet my money on it.
The actor is Christian Bale.... The Speilberg movie was empire OF THE SUN.... The fu** all movie was terminator 4...
Yep , you got it Tribal. All of it haha
Easy....Ish

In between

Hard

I transferred them to imageshack, but most of them still have the titles in them, because I don't know how to rename the picture haha
Ahh, I thought that'd work Dunkamahon.... Most of the ones I upload are screenshots directly from my movie collection so its random for me. I changed the website to a diff one though, Imgur.com.... Edited it in the first post too.... Tried and verified that it doesn't copy the same url name with the movie in it, sorry about the imageshack mishap man

Lets see : 2 -Goodfellas, 3 - Jurassic Park, 4- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the 6th has Alanis Morisette, might have to search for the movie name though haha. The last one, Life is Beautiful. The rest I'm scratching my head over
The 6th is Dogma
Haha it's cool Raj, no need to apologize it's all good. Ya all those are correct that you have guessed, cool you know Life is Beautiful Raj, that is a great movie, I didn't know if anyone would get that one. Scooter you are right about the 6th is Dogma, I was trying to find the picture of God doing the handstand but I couldn't find it.

As for the others, the first I won't give a clue, because it is a pretty classic movie and I think someone will know it.

The 5th is directed by one of the Monty Python troupe.

In the 7th that is Charlie Chaplin

And the 8th is a Spanish spoken movie, that is based in 1940 right when the Spanish civil war was ending
The first one is butch cassidy and the Sundance kid  And chaplin movie is the great dictator....    
Yep, right on those two tribal
Dr. Aussie Mum got Time Bandits, kudos on that one. The 8th one, I will say that the little girl is obsessed with the monster from Frankenstein
Gauntlet-throwing-down time!

No cheating you classless hussy's.
Adamaus (Manchester United) 3 years ago
First one is Goal, of course
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Blues Brothers, Predator, Street fighter?    
Second movie is Commando
I am trying to decide the second one, it is rather fuzzy, what he is shooting. I don't know?

The Blues Brothers shot is classic though, awesome.

Is that girl also in Love Actually, who is in goal? She is too sexy regardless
That last one is actually NOT Street Fighter.... It's an easter egg of street figher in another movie.... Try to see if you can get it.

But I didn't think the others would be too hard. Adamus got Goal, Ant got 3 and 4, and Tribalwars got Commando. That last one is definitely going to cause some headaches....

Donnchadh, I thought if I waited to the point of this scene-

Where the smoke was starting to blur things up a bit, it'd make it a lot less obvious, It's a classic scene though haha
Also, the predator clip is actually right before Blaine (best known for " I ain't got no time to bleed") bleeds.... A whooooole lot.

Maybe Mortal Kombat on the last one?
Enter the Dragon?
How about City Hunter.... A jackie chan movie.... I saw it sometime back and it had a scene like that...
   Tribalwars wins.    
Thank you....  I liked the movie.... I can watch it over and over again....
Haha, love that Commando ending. A classic Schwarzenegger ending for sure. Too bad he's such a racist douche in reality
Haha ohhh but we love our Governator...

The trilogy of the 'Webimage' films? No, I did not use the URLs because I didn't know any of them. Seriously, I wouldn't post if I had cheated.

1/ It's not good morning Vietnam, would've recognised that. Looks like a much more expensive room and older mic set. Argh.... I recognise it from somewhere but can't even get close to naming to naming the film.
2/ Absolutely no idea.
3/ 3000 miles to Graceland? The scene where Kevin just killed the accountant and his assistant and takes over the job? Bad film though IMO
Its pretty easy the lot actually, clues ought to help a bit :

1. Generally regarded as one of the best movies ever made. Its the microphone guys, c'mon ! Should be easy as peach. Its criminal that you don't get it just by a glance
2. A movie directed by someone who is also generally regarded as the best directors around, particularly some very good gangster flicks. Starring an actor who is also considered one of the best around for a long time now. They should easily have atleast 10 oscar nominations between them.
3. A lot of the movie is based in Mexico. The other actor on screen besides Micky is a give-away
Ooohhh, of course, 1 is Shawshank! God damn, I knew I recognised it from somewhere. It's just been a few years since I saw the it. I guess 2 must be a classic I haven't seen yet, unless it's a scene from 'Mean Streets' I don't recognise?
3: really no idea. I only know Costner's films were almost all completely rubbish, save two or three
Is 2nd Raging Bull?  And 3rd once upon a time in mexico?
2nd. You're on the right road Tribal, just got off at the wrong stop and the 3rd, it co-stars a very popular young actress
Got it....
3rd one is MAN ON FIRE.... Why did they name the movie this way is still a mystery but....
Is second movie casino?
The 2nd is like a dark comedy, eat that off the plate
Did anyone get Time Bandits on the last lot?    1. Good morning Vietnam?
To cheer up the people getting depressed because they don't recognise any of the screen shots Raj posted, here's a few easier ones:

1)

2)

3)

4)
People are taking the weekend off J haha.... 1. Dancing with the wolves, 2. Older Clint in a western.... Unforgiven?

The other two I can't place.... The guy in the last shot looks like the priest from the Sopranos though haha
1 is wrong, but you're very close, haha. But you are right on 'Unforgiven'. My favourite western.

And I fear you've been watching too many American films as you don't know the latter two: both are much better than most Hollywood blockbusters. I'll give you a list of all films I love you may not have seen Raj
Dances with wolves    And I've seen 3 at least 200 times, but I forget the name. Grr
Guilty, I do watch many European films but clearly not as much as the Hollywood ones. If I knew any better, the guy in the last one is a German, possibly one of the movies you've already told me about .... And you said I posted the tough ones haha. I will hold you to that list though, gracias J
3) is a German film about the Stasi in East Germany in the 80's. The picture may be a little misleading because it reminds people of WWII.

4) is also a German film, but this time it is about WWII. Received numerous prizes and was nominated for several oscars as well. The director is probably one of Germany's most Hollywood-like ones and directed several action-packed blockbusters after this film though none of them came close to being as good as this one
Got 4, the Lives of Others. Actually had it on my HD all the time, never did watch it.... Yet haha. Did a quick lookup on the internets to make confirm the suspicion. Still have no clue on the 3rd, we need more European viewers on here J
Das Boot sweatiest film Everrr!
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Is the first the last of the mohicans?
Jawhöl, it is Das Boot Drdownunder! Und Raj is auch richtig

So 1 is Dances with Wolves, 2 is Unforgiven, 3 is Das Boot and 4 is Das Leben der Anderen (or the life of the others in English)

Kick4Life - changing lives through football