Forums / Basement Chat
Order: Newest / Oldest
Optical Illusions
3 years ago
Well this has to be my favourite optical illusion of all time. No matter how many times I look at it, my brain just won't comprehend

Square "A" and square "B" are the SAME colour!

Anyone else got any funky optical illusions?
Sam (Juventus) 3 years ago
Explain.... Seems I'm a little slow on the take on this one too...
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Why is the cylinder there? I have a feeling it has something to do with that. Is it the letters in the squares that are the same colours, not the boxes? At least the pigs were easier, although scarring
3 years ago
No, not the letters. The squares are the same colour. Incredible!  The shadow from the cylinder is what tricks the eyes
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Whoa?
Ltm017 3 years ago
I so badly want to see same colours but I can't
Juveseria (Juventus) 3 years ago
Wow even when you point it out I don't notice it
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
I didn't get the optical illusion? Can someone explain me clearly?
3 years ago
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Also a square surrounded by dark squares looks lighter, and a surrounded by light squares looks darker.

I had to double check, the man is right
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 3 years ago
.... Err ok I cannot understand to me this makes no sense how is this an illusion
3 years ago
I just painted a line through the board to show that A and be are in fact the same colour
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 3 years ago
That's f*****g crazy, I get it now
Hithere (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Maybe this will help people see it. I erased the surrounding squares in Paint:

You can also use a color picker in Paint or Photoshop on the two squares in the original pic and you'll see they're the same colors
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
That's amazing! This just blew my mind, in a good way
Ohhhhh shitz! That I got fooled! Dammit!
3 years ago
Heres another one that works on a similar principal. Its not as jaw dropping as the checkers board, but its still cool!

All the diamonds are the same colour
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Really? This one is even weirder than the checkers board I think. Probably because the shadow of the cylinder on the board is obviously the reason the 2 squares are the same colour. Or because I've seen the checkers one before.
But this one, I don't even have an explanation why the top row is the same colour as the bottom one (2nd to last) - it looks a lot darker
Woah, that's crazy. All diamonds in fact have the same gradient. They're all the same. I checked in Photoshop
Totally amazed after checking it in shop.... Ridiculous

The lines are all parallel and the squares are of course not moving.

Trippin'!

Focus on the cross and be totally amazed.

Black dot, white dot

Old people?

Identical faces, with different contrast, but we all realize which is the female one and which is the male one.

And the best one of them all:

3 years ago
Good stuff Jeroen, I'd not seen the tiger one before
N3razzurri (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
That tiger has a nice nose
Lifeguard (Bayern München)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
What's with the tiger? I don't get it
It's a painted woman mate. Nice nose indeed N3
Lifeguard (Bayern München)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
I still couldn't get it, so I looked it up on google - got it now

White dot and black dot is just....
So its basically a Women facing back right?
I'm getting really into this. I've been looking up some more illusions, and I'll post the most interesting effects and its explanations here (as far as there are explanations other than the mind making wrong assumptions - assumptions necessary to process the huge amount of visual input we get):

Blivet

A blivet, also known as a poiuyt, is an undecipherable figure, an optical illusion and an impossible object. It appears to have three cylindrical prongs at one end which then mysteriously transform into two rectangular prongs at the other end.

Bezold Effect

The Bezold Effect is an optical illusion, named after a German professor of meteorology, Wilhelm von Bezold (1837-1907), who discovered that a color may appear different depending on its relation to adjacent colors. In the above example, the red seems lighter combined with the white, and darker combined with the black.
~This one is pretty logical IMHO. If you would increase the number of lines to, say, 1000, and zoom out a lot, you'd just see orange on the left, and dark red on the right, the same way we mix paint to get a new colour.

Café Wall Illusion

The café wall illusion is an optical illusion, first described by Doctor Richard Gregory. He observed this curious effect in the tiles of the wall of a café at the bottom of St Michael’s Hill, Bristol. This optical illusion makes the parallel straight horizontal lines appear to be bent. To construct the illusion, alternating light and dark “bricks” are laid in staggered rows. It is essential for the illusion that each “brick” is surrounded by a layer of “mortar” (the grey in the image). This should ideally be of a color in between the dark and light color of the “bricks”.

The Chubb Illusion

The Chubb illusion is an optical illusion wherein the apparent contrast of an object varies dramatically, depending on the context of the presentation. Low-contrast texture surrounded by a uniform field appears to have higher contrast than when it is surrounded by high-contrast texture. This was observed and documented by Chubb and colleagues in 1989.

Ebbinghaus Illusion

The Ebbinghaus illusion is an optical illusion of relative size perception. In the best-known version of the illusion, two circles of identical size are placed near to each other and one is surrounded by large circles while the other is surrounded by small circles; the first central circle then appears smaller than the second central circle.

Fraser Spiral Illusion

The illusion is also known as the false spiral, or by its original name, the twisted cord illusion. The overlapping black arc segments appear to form a spiral; however, the arcs are a series of concentric circles.
~Simplified: that is not a spiral, but just a few circles!

Hermann Grid Illusion

The Hermann grid illusion is an optical illusion reported by Ludimar Hermann in 1870 while, incidentally, reading John Tyndall’s Sound. The illusion is characterised by “ghostlike” grey blobs perceived at the intersections of a white (or light-colored) grid on a black background. The grey blobs disappear when looking directly at an intersection.
~This reminds me of seeing black dots when you're dehydrated, but I assume that has a completely different explanation.

Hering Illusion

The Hering illusion is an optical illusion discovered by the German physiologist Ewald Hering in 1861. The two vertical lines are both straight, but they look as if they were bowed outwards. The distortion is produced by the lined pattern on the background, that simulates a perspective design, and creates a false impression of depth.

Jastrow Illusion

The Jastrow illusion is an optical illusion discovered by the American psychologist Joseph Jastrow in 1889. In this illustration, the two figures are identical, although the lower one appears to be larger.
~I'm an applied economics student and I've always been interested in marketing. This might come in handy in an add to trick people into thinking one object is larger than the other.

Motion Illusion

One type of motion illusion is a type of optical illusion in which a static image appears to be moving due to the cognitive effects of interacting color contrasts and shape position. To properly view this effect, click the image above to see the full sized version.

Poggendorff Illusion

The Poggendorff Illusion is an optical illusion that involves the brain’s perception of the interaction between diagonal lines and horizontal and vertical edges. It is named after Johann Poggendorff (1796-1877), a German physicist who first described it in 1860. In the image above, a straight black and red line is obscured by a grey rectangle. The blue line appears, instead of the red line, to be the same as the black one, which is clearly shown not to be the case in the second picture.

White Illusion

White’s illusion is an optical illusion illustrating the fact that the same target luminance can elicit different perceptions of brightness in different contexts. Note, that although the gray rectangles are all of equal luminance, the ones seen in the context with the dark stripes appear brighter than the ones seen in the context with the bright stripes. Note that this effect is opposite to what would be expected from a simple physiological explanation on the basis of simultaneous contrast (in that case the rectangles sharing the long borders with the dark stripes should appear brighter).
~This also explains the checkers board illusion Netnerd started with and is pretty much the same as the Bezold effect as far as I know.

Zöllner Illusion

In this figure the black lines seem to be unparallel, but in reality they are parallel. The shorter lines are on an angle to the longer lines. This angle helps to create the impression that one end of the longer lines is nearer to us than the other end. This is very similar to the way the Wundt illusion appears. It may be that the Zöllner illusion is caused by this impression of depth.

All of these are very interesting. If only Empiricists were still here so I could shove it in their face
3 years ago
Nice ones. Some of those, especially the grey dots one, always give me a headache if I look at them too long!
Juveseria (Juventus) 3 years ago
Nice research thanks for that very enjoyable
Gooner12 (Arsenal) 3 years ago

The scariest optical illusion ever! Stare at the four dots for 30 seconds and close your eyes to see Jesus's face coming towards you! Or else look at the ceiling and see his face there!
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 3 years ago
LOL it works
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
We should make one with Cesc's face in the middle
Gooner12 (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Yeh that would be cool
Doesn't work, I saw Kurt Cobain
OMFG Magic?
3 years ago
OMG, after watching it for 2 minutes I think I could distinguish Fabregas amongst all the blur I saw. Best one yet
This is proven that Fabregas came from another planet...
3 years ago
This is the same image, flipped vertically    
Holy s**t, it's Cesc's mongoloid brother!
Really though: I had no idea the above pic was messed up. The brain does weird things for image recognition
Whoa! WHAT creature IS THAT?
Strange thing was that when I saw saw the upside down pic, I knew it was Fabregas straight away and was wondering how an upside down pic of him is an optical illusion (I didn't even notice the eyebrows!). Now I know
Sam (Juventus) 3 years ago
This truly trick me.... ! Why is this optical illusion always trick meeee!
Optical illusion of the year 2010

Link: www.newscientist.com/article/dn18886

Get read to get bowled over!
Wow, that's a clever design!
I'm speechless...

As you can see, the girl changes her direction of spinning. Just keep looking at it for a while.

And finally.... This is the most trickiest illusion ever!
 Is it a Duck or a Rabbit?
I did this at my school, we went to a science laboratory/museum. So confusing for the start. Its basically a parallel floors. As you can see in the Gif that guy tries to stop his way from going down. The women bended her knees when she started going up. This shows that the floors are sideways
Pragathish (AC Milan) 2 years ago
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
AGH this thread hurts my brain D:
Rockerr (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Focus on the red dot, the blue cirlce disappears after sometime!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football