Forums / Basement Chat
Order: Newest / Oldest
Logical And Lateral Thinking Puzzles
Juveseria (Juventus) 3 years ago
Hi all,

After looking at Netnerd's optical illusion thread I've decided to start a logical and lateral thinking thread where we can post questions which may have no answer when in true fact the answer is quite simple.

The main idea is to come up with the most difficult problem. Don't LOOK UP answers ON THE internet because IT ONLY spoils THE FUN

I'll start things off:

A new prison has been built in the middle of a vast lake. One morning, it's discovered that a prisoner who can't swim has escaped. The only evidence he leaves behind is a strand of shoelace how did he do it?

Enjoy
3 years ago
Was he Jesus?
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
He probably used something like a raft to go on, you don't have to know how to swim to cross a river.... Other than that I don't know, lol
I'll give you guys another day or so then ill post the answer and another one or if you want to your more than welcome
The answer: it was winter and the lake froze over, meaning that the criminal could ice skate away, the shoelace was that of his ice skates
3 years ago
How irresponsible of said criminal. Everyone knows you should never, ever attempt to cross a frozen lake. Pffft
Lmao his body was found 10 days later frozen at the bottom not really
A woman stopped her car outside a block of hotels and immediately knew she was bankrupt. Why?
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Because the hotels belong to her and they've been foreclosed?
3 years ago
She was playing monopoly
Haha I agree with Netnerd!
Yes
A man leaves hospital and begins to walk home. On his journey he passes a phone box which begins to ring. Instead of answering it, he punches the air and runs all the way home cheering. Why?
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 3 years ago
The hospital has delivered good test results
3 years ago
I am guessing he had been in hospital with some sort of temporary deafness, the sound of the ringing phone meant he was "cured"
Lol netnerd are you cheating? Lol jks jks.... Well I'm agreeing with Netnerd again! Lol
Netnerd again correct gees gotta' think up harder ones
3 years ago
There are 4 boxes. One is stuffed full of cash, the other 3 are empty.

You get to choose one box, which remains unopened for now.

After choosing your box, I then reveal to you the contents of two of the other boxes, which are both empty.

We are left then, with the box you chose, and one other box.

I offer you the chance to swap.

What do you do? Swap boxes, or remain with your original choice?
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Swap because the probability of getting the money just improved
Dude you've got me I'll take a stab in the dark keep the box you have    Cheers
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I agree with Jet. The chances of the first one are 1 in 4 when you picked it, but the chances of the second one are 1 in 2. Swap
3 years ago
Well I'm impressed that Jetlifari and Ant got swapping without much thought,

If you google "monty hall" you will see that this puzzle was debated by scholars and mathematicians for many years
New one to get us going

Acting on an anonymous phone call, the police raid a house to arrest a suspected murderer. They don't know what he looks like but they know his name is John and that he is inside the house. The police bust in on a carpenter, a lorry driver, a mechanic and a fireman all playing poker. Without hesitation or communication of any kind, they immediately arrest the fireman. How do they know they've got their man?
3 years ago
All typically "male" job titles, but i'd say the carpenter, the lorry driver and the mechanic were all women, the only man there was John the fireman.
Either that or he had a blood stained axe in his hand
Netnerd mate, on fire I do not know how I can possibly stump you, ill find something
3 years ago
Bring it on!
- In a street there are five houses, painted five different colors.

- In each house lives a person of different nationality.

- These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

Who owns the Fish?

1. The British man lives in a red house.
2. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Danish man drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.

This is it! Good luck
3 years ago
I think this one is going to involve several pieces of paper and lots of scribbling. I will be back
3 years ago
Ok here goes.

Left house - Norwegian - Yellow -Water - Cat - Dunhill
2nd left - Danish - Blue - Tea - Horse - Blend
Middle - British - Red - Milk - Bird - Pall Mall
2nd right - German - Green - Coffee -? - Prince
Right - Swedish - White - Beer - Dog - Blue Master

So.... The German owns the fish.

This is a little inaccurate however, as the British man should be living in a 5th floor grey flat, drinking cheap cider, smoking benson and hedges with his 20 cats, surrounded by piss
N3razzurri (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
A cowboy rides into town on a Monday. He stays at the town for three days, then leaves on Friday. How did he do it?
3 years ago
His horse was called Friday
Lifeguard 3 years ago
His horse was called Monday
Here is a though one.... Which came first? The chicken or the egg?
Unmecenfrance (Lille) 3 years ago
Quite simple.... Anyone who understands anything about evolution knows the egg must have come first, because chickens, as birds, evolved from some sort of lizard which must have laid eggs in order for said chickens to exist today
Lifeguard 3 years ago
The chicken came first
A lizard gave birth to an egg that turned into a chicken?!.... Uhm which came first then, the lizard or the egg? :S
Lifeguard 3 years ago
The lizard and the chicken both came at the same time
Well, the male lizard, while coupling with the almost-evolved female chicken, more than likely came first
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 3 years ago
Chicken and c**k First. Who says there has to be one of each?
So the lizard came first which had an interracial intercourse with an almost-evolved female chicken, which I presume puts it in second place? And they in turn gave birth to the first ever egg, thus with regret and a little bit confusion I'll have to admit the right answer to my tough question would obviously be in conclusion that the egg came before the chicken and therefore by default from now on it should be known that the egg came first! (not scientifically proven, I disown any claim to endorsement or ownership of this)
You are tricked into a doorless and windowless room on all 4 sides, including top and bottom. The only things inside the room are you, a mirror, and a wooden table. How do you escape?
Lifeguard 3 years ago
You wake up. You're dreaming
Lifeguard 3 years ago
It may be windowless and doorless, but it doesn't mention anything about walls
The second one is correct, it does say something about walls in fact it says 4 sides and that includes top and bottom which leaves two other sides which you could walk through
Do you not escape through the mirror into an Ah-Ha video?
I heard about that one, you take the table put it infront of the mirror.... You 'saw' the table into two and then put it back together and escape through the 'whole'.... That one didn't make sense to me, besides I don't wanna run into those police men, not exactly your friendly officers
You are put into a prison that has two doors. One leads to freedom, the other to certain death. Inside the prison, there are two computers: one that always tells the truth, and another that always tells lies. You do not know which computer is the liar and which is the truthful one, but you are allowed to ask only one question to one of the two in order to go free. What question do you ask, and to which computer do you ask it?
3 years ago
I would ask either of the computers the question "if I were to ask the other computer which door leads to certain death, how would it respond".
I would then go through that door, assuming that both computers were aware that one of them always lied
Really netnerd, are you cheating on these? Or have you heard them all before? Or do you have a degree in intuitive logic? Or are you RainMan?
3 years ago
It took me a while, and the answer came to me just as I was drifting off to sleep. It was fairly obvious, I think, that you would need to ask one computer a question about the other one, it just took some time to work it out in my head!
I like this one, I've heard it told in so many different ways but the answer is always the same

Kick4Life - changing lives through football