Forums / Basement Chat
Order: Newest / Oldest
IS CRISTIANO RONALDO BETTER THAN LIONEL MESSI
Cr74ever (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Sure thing. He is waaaay better than Lio!
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Is that your argument summed up about ronaldo in 8 words? , well 6 if you leave out the.... Waaaay, and the lio
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Lol that's your explanation?
4 years ago
I know.... Lol
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I couldn't describe it better
I agree...
Although both are great players, I have to go with messi, he's a more natural talent, ronaldo to my mind is a bit robotic, and has no where near the flair messi has.
I could be biased as messi has a certain element of george best to his game, who is a massive favourite of mine, if you hadnt guessed.
I also like the fact messi never complains, dives, ask for cards to be shown, he's the model professional, and for that reason, its messi for me.
But ronaldo is a hell of a talent as well, and anybody dissing any of the two players hasnt a clue about the game
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Glad to see a man that knows his footy and doesn't support Barça acknowledge the fact Messi does indeed not dive and rarely ever complains. He does ask for cards sometimes though, I have to say that. Then again, it just proves he can be agitated too.

Oh and who is this George the best you talk about? Like an English king?
Don't you dare insult the northern irish.... Lol, england have never had anyone to even come near george, that's why the whole of england turned out to see bestie whever he played, the man was a genius, and could put 20, 000 on a gate by just turning up.... Lol.
But, a different era, and its really unfair to compare players from the days of best, pele etc;, to todays world stars.
But for raw talent, messi's the best i've seen since best. not better, just yet, and as I said, its not fair comparing, I think we should just admire all these guys without favour for what they do give us on the pitch, and the messi and ronaldo question does get to me a bit, as both are great players, and would any of you turn them down playing for your team? , if you said yes, your a liar
On messi with the cards indicating players should be booked.
If theres one man who does deserve to prompt the ref, its messi, the wee guy gets kicked from pillar to post, very much again like george best did, and I can't blame messi for sometimes boiling over, it can't be nice knowing everytime the balls in your vacinity theres someone ready to kick lumps outta' you, but that's where these guys come into their own, and can ride tackles etc;, and again like best, messi is seldom injured, wether its to do with balance or what I don't know, but they never seem to get many, or serious injuries, maybe that's why they are so good
Yeah, in almost every game poor little Leo gets kicked and pulled more than an MMA fighter in the ring, but yet he stays injury-free almost always. I would've had my legs broken twice a year if I had to sustain the beating he gets. And I think there's a little more to it than remaining injury-free that made Best and makes Messi so good, but it is important for such a player to have match rhythm, and someone like Robben just doesn't have that
Cr74ever (Manchester United) 4 years ago
You are the only one who is fair. Even I know messi is good but prefer ronaldo. I think we all have our personal opinion and I asked you for it, I did'nt ask you to comment on my opinion. That is pretty mean you know, it hurts me...
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
We needs facts.

Watch these.

Copying Netnerd, but only because I actually facepalmed myself so hard when I saw the thread and its content I hurt myself. I nominate for the most hilarious thread this month.

But I'll try to give some decent input as well and just answer what I answered on the Real forum to Babloo:

1/ Messi obviously doesn't need great service to score, he's proven that many, many times before with great solo goals. But he is a real team player playing in the best combining team I've ever seen. This means he sees good passing opportunities (=creativity) more than Ronaldo, and doesn't try to dribble from halfway the pitch unless he sees gaps everywhere. Instead he'll help with yet another (some people may consider it boring) build-up through passing the ball, often amazingly well like Xavi and Iniesta, the best playmakers in the world.

2/ Ronaldo probably runs the 100m a bit faster than Leo as his top speed is very high, but Leo runs the 100m a lot faster than most players too. And in football acceleration is a lot more important than pace anyway. Both players accelerate very fast, but Leo makes better use of it since his technique is even far better than Ronaldo's: the ball sticks to his feet with every move he makes, whether it's a turn, when slowing down, when accelerating, when he's cutting inside.... This is Messi's trademark and the n°1 reason he's so great. Ronaldo dribbles in a completely different way, very much comparable to Ronaldinho at his best before: he slows down when approaching a player, then either blasts ahead into space next to the defender or uses his (IMHO excessively used) trickery (usually step-overs) to dazzle the defender and pass him. If he doesn't get passed him, he'll trip over the defender's legs, something a LOT of players do though.

3/ Ronaldo definitely hasn't got more flair though: it may appear like that because he doesn't play as clever as Leo. Look at yesterday's goals Messi scored: both inch perfect: the first through brilliant passing, then the second through making a difficult run in the box and finishing in a way that made it all seem easy. Messi actually dribbled 6 players there, but he can make it look like no one was there at all because he makes the right decisions where to turn and run in a split second.
Ronaldo obviously is a good dribbler, but when he passes a player it looks as difficult as when Messi passes three. And that is the exact reason Messi is so much better at dribbling IMO too. Messi knows what defenders will do as a whole, so when facing many of them he confuses them with his movement into thinking the other defender will get there. I'm a defender too, and every time he's close to the goal, you can almost see what he's going to do, but as a defender you just can't stop it. I'm convinced for defenders it's sometimes easier to stop Messi 1 vs 1 than with 5 others, exactly because you rely on others too, and therefore don't close him down as aggressively. The only good way to stop Messi is to have one player mark him and another help that defender by closing Messi down every time he gets the ball.
So briefly: Messi's flair (his skill+unpredictability) is unparalleled, because what he does is so efficient and difficult to defend against he doesn't need to do anything else. Why give up a winning combination, right?

4/ As for shooting: Messi plays in a team that almost always tries to work the ball into the box, to make the most out of every chance. The only players shooting from distance every now and then (when they could give a pass too) really are Alves and Villa. Ronaldo plays in a team with a more old-fashioned style of football, where players pretty much shoot whenever they think they have a good chance. This results in the statistics that Ronaldo attempts a shot about 3 times as often but misses the target 3 times as often too (as his shots are difficult ones given the power he puts behind them). A lot of those times long shots with a lot of power.
There's no question Ronaldo has more firepower, but don't underestimate the gunpowder in Messi's legs, he just barely ever chooses power over accuracy. When Ronaldo blasts shots with that wicked curve of his, Messi goes for the placed ball that curls into the corner.

So in conclusion: I think all of you know I prefer Messi, but Ronaldo is definitely a terrifying player as well. Especially when given room, which he only gets against lesser teams, which is also the reason he's often not nearly as good against the really big teams.
Some people find Barça's football boring, with the many passes instead of many runs with the ball. And placed shots from inside the box instead of scorchers from distance. But football pundits and players usually prefer looking at Messi and Barça, because they see the logic behind it all: the passing game is more effective, wears out the other team more while retaining solid defensive options (when facing a counter) and it often creates better chances too. To people who know their football, that efficiency is the summit of beauty in the sport. To others, a fast run over 40 metres or a scorcher from distance is.
I tend to like both, but the advantage of Barça is you get spoilt for 90 minutes while a scorcher from distance like Ronaldo's against Porto is very rare.

Hope I enlightened some of you and didn't upset anyone. Know that I think both players are great, but I consider Messi even better because he's smarter and has even better technique.
Uh he just forgot Tony, now back away from the butcher knife...
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
I KNOW MATE, SUICIDE LOOKED TEMPTING.... LOL
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Well the Ronaldo vs Messi debate has finally come to where it belongs.... The beloved basement chat!
Theo (Chelsea) 4 years ago
This debate will never end, well till the end of the world in 2012 (just kidding) but seriously though, I think this debate happens around here, almost every week.... And the Ronaldo fan boys have not shown me enough evidence, to prove that Ronaldo is better than the Messiah. The only thing I surely know that Ronaldo is better at, is dribbling and free kicks, apart from that Messi is better than him, in scoring, in passing, in been a better team mate and far better at been a model Professional (like Tony mentioned) Also, the reason I think Ronaldo is not better, is not because of his diving and crying all over the place, it's just that when I watch Ronaldo play and destroy opponent's I see a very good player, meanwhile when I watch Messi play, I see a "Special One" lol
[account-removed] 3 years ago
'it's just that when I watch Ronaldo play and destroy opponent's I see a very good player, meanwhile when I watch Messi play, I see a "Special One" lol'
Sounds cheesy, but youve got it spot on. That's one of the most accurate descriptions i've seen
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
LOL thanks mate
4 years ago
Well, to bring a different perspective on things, to me they're both cnuts.

Every week, no matter how short I price them up to score, the punters always back them and I end up doing my bollix.

Its quite something to be sat open mouthed at their latest bit of magic on the pitch, to then be hit by the realisation that its beans on toast for dinner for that night
Bookies on beans, who would ever have thought it.... Lol
@NetNerd LOL
Myname (RSC Anderlecht) 4 years ago
First of all Messi and Ronaldo are two completely different players. But I think that that Messi has more dribbling skills than CR, but Ronaldo has a better free cick.... Messi is outstanding in Barca, where he got his mates Xavi and Iniesta, but I guess that, when Messi leaves Barca he would be lost. My advice for Messi: stay at Barca. Conclusion: Messi is better than Ronaldo in the Barca-shirt, but once he isn't...
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Yikes, I know there's been about 20 other threads about this (about 75% of them better) but I'll put my info in again.

First off if Ronaldo had one the world player of the year last year I'm positive more people would be saying Cristiano. I'm also sure the more intelligent football watchers wouldn't and would favor Messi though.

On to Messi first; Messi's incredibly quick and controlled in tight spaces unlike anybody else in the world. Since he's not anywhere near as good at open spaces and one on one it has some disadvantages. Barca's all know what he's amazing at. But if he played on any other team he wouldn't be even close to as amazing. He doesn't do wide spaces very well, which would be opened by whatever club he was playing for.

Also the league makes a difference. The La Liga has defenses that back up around the box and goal more. Where as the premier league is much more fast paced and open. A reason why Messi wouldn’t do so well in the premier league.

Ronaldo on the other hand is more suited to open spaces and playing people one on one. In my opinion though Ron has more small space skills than Messi does big space skills. Ronaldo also has a better shooting ability a better weaker foot and is faster at accelerating long distances opposed to Messi’s small distances.

One thing you guys aren’t giving enough credit to Cristiano for is passing. In his days at United and last season he wasn’t great at it. Obviously he’s been practicing, because I’ve seen him pull off some cracking balls lately.

In the end they’re both different types of players, who I would want for different types of things. It’s painfully close but I’d say I’d choose Ronaldo over Messi. For now
Cr74ever (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Hey buddy, even I luved ronnie at manu so much more(even though I think he is better than messi, very much even now.). He used to be more, say.... Devastating? Whom do you prefer cristiano at manu or cristiano at real madrid?
"I'm also sure the more intelligent football watchers wouldn't and would favor Messi though. "
ManUK, so if you admit that intelligent football watchers would favor Messi, what does that make you?
And what do you mean by: "messi isn't good at open spaces". To be honest, I think that if a player has so much control in tight spaces, imagine what he would be able to do with acres of space and time? I kind of get your point, though, in that Ronaldo has a better top speed than Lionel Messi. But haven't you seen goals of messi getting a cross field ball from wide and then beating a man ONE V. ONE and then cutting inside and curling it into the top left corner of the goal (to us, top right for the keeper). Messi is a better all around player IMHO.
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Ronaldo is the best, In gym class, because in gym class people sook, people are talented, but they never pass the ball, and they dive.

Messi on the other hand is the best
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Ronaldo is an Athlete with Excellent Technique.  Messi is just Messi lol what can I say
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
That's right: Ronaldo is a great player, but he won't change the game. Messi is one of those prodigies you just can't begin to completely describe, while Ronaldo can be summed up as an athletic and gifted player.
Messi lacks certain qualities due to his posture, but he is so much more than any given player in the world is right now. He combines the best qualities of every single aspect an offensive player needs, and those qualities are so superb that IMO he's already amongst the best 5 ever
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Well me being a utd fan you think I would plump for ronaldo.
Ask me who I would rather watch.... !, I would pick messi, but as I said above, both are brilliant and add different dimensions to the game, but for pure raw talent, messi for me everytime
For me, when you want to compare someone, compare them of what they are good at. Messi is good at dribbling, passing, sprint, and etc. Ronaldo is better at freestyle dribbling, sprinting and I pretty much don't know about Ronaldo cause I barely watch them play. The match Barca - Real as you remember it was an unbelievable match, Messi didn't get to score a goal but he was performing really well. Not just in Barca - Real but nearly all matches! Ronaldo is a talented guy but sometimes likes to dive allot when he dribbles and that ruins every step of getting closer of being better than Messi. Messi isn't a type of player that keeps the ball for them selves then risk it. He is actually passing his team mates at the right time and at the right place. Just as Xavi. Well Xavi gives really good throw passes compare to Messi. What I like about Ronaldo is his free kicks, it is always on target, fast, and furious! Sometimes his free kicks are error but I barely see it. Messi could take a free kick well to but he doesn't want to try it as what I heard.

Speed/Sprinting: This is a hard question for you guys to answer (Maybe). I would rather pick Messi then Ronaldo. Ronaldo maybe tall and stuffs like that but Messi is small fast and can slip through enemies. So in this case (for me), Messi is faster

So there you go, my answer is Messi.... People will pick Ronaldo for no reason cause there are lots of Ronaldo fans just like the person who made this topic...
Nicop46 (Aston Villa) 3 years ago
Of course not, I don't like him neither but messi doesn't cry when he looses the ball
Lesubjonctif (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Messiah who? It's all about the Crissiah!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football