Forums / Barcelona
Order: Newest / Oldest
Season [2012-2013] - Man Of The Match
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
This one is a tough one as the whole team played a very solid match.

In this match I will give it to Xavi who had quite an immense match. Not sure how his passing stat ended I would guess around 160+ passes and probably 95% accuracy.

Not only does this make believe stat show how well he played it shows how he controlled the game and dictated play. As always his decision making was usually spot on knowing when to pass when to run and most importantly how to create space for himself. He also had a shot or two at goal which we sometimes see but not often enough.

Honourable mention is Cesc who had a pretty good match today. You can see that he is playing with confidence now, willing to take defenders on and make plays through that. We saw him create two goals today, one a result of a run and the other the result of some great vision and a perfectly lofted pass
Tanmay 1 year ago
For the record, I'll post a copy of the poll here too:

• Victor Valdes
  • Gerard Pique
  • Carles Puyol
  • Martin Montoya
  • Adriano Correia
  • Sergio Busquets
  • Xavi Hernandez
  • Thiago Alcantara
  • Francesc Fabregas
  • Pedro Rodriguez
  • Christian Tello
  • Javier Mascherano
  • David Villa
  • Lionel Messi
  • Tito Vilanova
CheMaradona (Anti-Futbol) 1 year ago
For me it was Messi! Lol    Honorable mentions were Cesc and Thiago
Malik 1 year ago
Overall I am satisfied with whole team performance but the standout performers were messi, thiago, Xavi, puyol & cesc, MOTM was messi with out any doubt
Tanmay 1 year ago
The poll For Barcelona v/s Getafe is over and the winner is Lionel Messi, with Tito coming in second. Lionel messi gets a pencil sharpener. Tito is inconsolable
Messi asks if he can trade it in for the toy dinosaur
Tanmay 1 year ago
Let it be known that he can have the toy dinosaur only if he wins the Ballon D'or
He can't trade 3 pencil sharpeners for the dinosaur?
St1or (Barcelona) 1 year ago
I think the MOTM was Xavi, imo. He was fantastic in the midfield as usual. I didn't see him give up the ball much, if at all.

But Cesc had a good game too! He was all over the pitch, and let's not forget his assist to David Villa

I think Montoya was solid too! I am glad Tito is giving him and the other youngsters chances.

I'd never expect Messi to get benched unless he was sick or injured. What a boss!
Man of the match for me?

Damn its between Tello and Alexis. I am gonna' with the the Chilean because he made all the impact. We were sleeping until he showed up
Tanmay 1 year ago
  • Victor Valdes
  • Daniel Alves
  • Gerard Pique
  • Javier Mascherano
  • Adriano Correia
  • Sergio Busquets
  • Xavi Hernandez
  • Cesc Fabregas
  • Christian Tello
  • Lionel Messi
  • Pedro Rodriguez
  • David Villa
  • Alex Song
  • Alexis Sanchez
  • Tito Vilanova
  • Opposition Player (specify in comments below)
I think people are just waiting for Tello to fail so they can shower Tito with rage but the kid has been doing pretty well whenever called up. This game he was great and without him we would have lost this match
Kingleo (Barcelona) 1 year ago
Tello easily
Tanmay 1 year ago
The poll is now closed and surprise surprise, Tello and Messi have TIED for first spot, with 31% votes each. After TBS suggested below that 3 pencil sharpeners would get Messi a dinosaur, things got out of hand and Messi started browbeating Tello. Villa stepped in to defend Tello and it resulted in an alleged Messi-Villa bustup (well, goal.com reported one anyway). Look what you've done, TBS. Never raise expectations like that
Man of the match for me?

Pedro, by far our most influential player in the match.

Xavi with that fantastic goal probably shares it with him though
Jeroen (Barcelona) 1 year ago
Toño. 9. 5/10 performance, as he saved 'made' goals twice, and made a number of great saves next to those superhuman leaps.

As for our squad: definitely Xavi. Pedro was very good, Sánchez did great in the last 10 minutes, Tello did very well too, and even Messi's last 10 minutes were great, but no one deserves it more than Xavi for doing everything right in midfield and of course scoring that scorcher. What a goal, what a player, what a man
It's a really tough call. Although I don't feel anyone played great, I feel we weren't far off from having a great match. Just seemed everyone was a little bit off from the start.

I really liked the introduction of Xavi though as Jeroen said, Xavi really cooled the match down and took a strangle hold of the match and ultimately made the difference and won us the 3 points.

Anyways I thought Masch had a great performance today, get every one of this tackles spot on and they always saved us from a counter attack. The highlight has got to be the one tackle of Masch's near the centre of the park which 3 seconds later ended up at the feet of Messi in the opponents box alone. Masch gets the nod from me
Tanmay 1 year ago
Sorry for being late today guys, twiigs.com has a problem so you can't embed polls from a smart phone (not mine anyway).

• Victor Valdes
  • Daniel Alves
  • Adriano Correia
  • Javier Mascherano
  • Alex Song
  • Sergio Busquets
  • Francesc Fabregas
  • Thiago Alcantara
  • Lionel Messi
  • David Villa
  • Alexis Sanchez
  • Xavi Hernandez
  • Pedro Rodriguez
  • Cristian Tello
  • Tito Vilanova
  • Opposition player (specify in comments below)
Tanmay 1 year ago
This poll is now closed and the winner is General Xavi with a whopping 49% of the votes. Xavi wins extra gel for his hair
Next prize is a special mushroom hunting kit. I expect better for you next match Xavi
Tanmay 1 year ago
Are we talking about the dooooode-I-can't-feel-my-nose type of mushrooms here?
Tanmay 1 year ago
Man of the Match awards won - running tally:

Lionel Messi - 1. 5
Xavi Hernandez - 1
Cristian Tello - 0. 5

Total prize money - running tally:

Lionel Messi: One and a half pencil sharpeners
Tello: A little plastic thingie, looks like a broken sharpener blade missing
Xavi: Hair gel, and a very jealous stalker reported to be quite 'sad'. "The club knows why I am sad, I don't want to reveal the reason to the world", he is reported to have said, before blurting out: "Barcelona pays in hair gel, why can't we? "
Hahaha, why did I not see this before? MWY for footytube president!
Tanmay 1 year ago
Oh, stop it you! *blushes*
Tanmay 1 year ago
  • Victor Valdes
  • Dani Alves
  • Jordi Alba
  • Javier Mascherano
  • Alex Song
  • Sergio Busquets
  • Xavi Hernandez
  • Cesc Fabregas
  • Alexis Sanchez
  • Lionel Messi
  • Pedro Rodriguez
  • Thiago Alcantara
  • David Villa
  • Cristian Tello
  • Tito Vilanova
  • Opposition player (mention name in comments)
Tanmay 1 year ago
Fabregas for me. We give him a hard time when he doesn't convert - well today he did everything right. An unexpectedly good strike for the first goal from a distance, and in the second goal some fantastic movement and positioning, followed by a chip off the wrong foot, taking the goalkeeper by surprise. Truly commendable stuff, and that too when the going was very tough and the pressure immense
I think Cesc deserves this one. Played a great game. Would have been perfect if he didn't get Medel sent off
Tanmay 1 year ago
The poll is now closed, and Cesc Fabregas is declared with a winner with 54% of the 59 votes. Cesc takes home a toy Ferrari. Lionel Messi looks on, green with envy
Vroom vroom vrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom
Tanmay 1 year ago
  • Victor Valdes
  • Dani Alves
  • Jordi Alba
  • Javier Mascherano
  • Carles Puyol
  • Sergio Busquets
  • Cesc Fabregas
  • Xavi Hernandez
  • Alexis Sanchez
  • Lionel Messi
  • Pedro Rodriguez
  • Andres Iniesta
  • Alex Song
  • David Villa
  • Tito Vilanova
  • Opposition Player (mention in comments below)
Tanmay 1 year ago
Poll closed and, surprise surprise, Messi is the runaway winner. He wins a Big Cahuna burger, and a tasty beverage to wash the burger down his throat
Tanmay 1 year ago
  • Victor Valdes
  • Iker Casillas
  • Dani Alves
  • Alvaro Arbeloa
  • Adriano Correia
  • Pepe
  • Javier Mascherano
  • Sergio Ramos
  • Jordi Alba
  • Marcelo
  • Sergio Busquets
  • Sami Khedira
  • Xavi Hernandez
  • Xabi Alonso
  • Cesc Fabregas
  • Mesut Ozil
  • Andres Iniesta
  • Angel Di Maria
  • Lionel Messi
  • Cristiano Ronaldo
  • Pedro Rodriguez
  • Karim Benzema
  • Martin Montoya
  • Gonzalo Higuain
  • Alexis Sanchez
  • Ricardo Kaka
  • Michael Essien
  • Tito Vilanova
  • Jose Mourinho
Tanmay 1 year ago
This pool is now closed. Lionel Messi wins Man of the Match with 42% of the votes, followed closely by Cristiano Ronaldo at 35%. Messi wins a 50% off coupon at Sun Spa Tanning. "What will I do with this? " he asks. "Give it to me! Give it to me!" Cristiano cries. "Bitch please", says Leo, laughing out loud, and hands it to a random person in crowd
Malik 1 year ago
Not fair , Cristina needed it for obvious day dreaming (about ballon d'or)

Man of the match (can't be Messi as always lol) for me was Alba, although he got a fantastic own goal the young player really did it for me both offensively AND defensively. His chip was amazing lol his runs well timed and he always trekked back swiftly after making those forward runs.

Montoya looked really bright as well. Also Xavi was an amazing sub, he completely owned the midfield after there not being one for a while
Messi, clearly. But I'd like to say Cesc, because a 9. 5/10 game for Messi is only slightly better than his average game, whilst a 9/10 performance for Cesc is quite a bit better than his average. I'm very happy to see he's on top form again, and has been for the whole season. He's a real boon for our team
Tanmay 1 year ago
  • Victor Valdes
  • Jordi Alba
  • Martin Montoya
  • Alex Song
  • Javier Mascherano
  • Sergio Busquets
  • Cesc Fabregas
  • Andres Iniesta
  • Cristian Tello
  • Lionel Messi
  • David Villa
  • Pedro Rodriguez
  • Xavi Hernandez
  • Adriano Correia
  • Tito Vilanova
  • Opposition player (mention name in comments below)
Tanmay 1 year ago
Poll closed: Lionel Messi won with 60% of the votes; Cesc Fabregas was second with 23.

For his match-winning hattrick Lionel Messi gets to make Victor Valdes his bitch for one day. Messi asks Valdes to erase all the pages in his notebook so he can write poetry for his soon-to-be daughter but Valdes fails miserably. These days VV just can't keep a clean sheet
MOTM for me was Alba, he has been the perfect addition to this team. His game winner in the last minute of the game was EPIC! Love me some Alba, him or Jessica
AlbaAlbaAlbaAlbaAlbaAlba. He is always so energetic, makes better runs than Sánchez up front and he's so damn fast! I love the guy
Tanmay 1 year ago
Alba, no contest.    PS: Will put up poll after the Madrid game.
Tanmay 1 year ago

• Victor Valdes
  • Jordi Alba
  • Marc Bartra
  • Alex Song
  • Javier Mascherano
  • Adriano Correia
  • Andres Iniesta
  • Cristian Tello
  • Lionel Messi
  • David Villa
  • Pedro Rodriguez
  • Xavi Hernandez
  • Alexis Sanchez
  • Tito Vilanova
  • Opposition player (mention name in comments below)
Man of the match for me.... Hmmmmmm

Villa had a good start on the starting job, Alba was my favorite player on the pitch, Messi got a brace, Valdes kept a clean sheet....

Fabregas gets it for me. He was detrimental to our game today and did his job when it was the toughest. Our possession game was absolute s**t and we had no control. But Fab really did great under those circumstances.

I think this was Tito's worst game as manager so far.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football