Forums / Australia
Order: Newest / Oldest
Kewell And Emerton In The A-League
KingHarryKewell (Liverpool) 3 years ago
It's been a big couple of weeks for the A-League, gaining two Socceroos into the competition, joining the likes of Jason Culina - first, Harry Kewell to Melbourne Victory, and just recently, Brett Emerton to Sydney FC.

What is everyone's thoughts on these two acquisitions? Will they fire up the A-League this coming season? How do you think Kewell and Emerton will perform? Are you excited or not so sure?
JestaYNWA (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Of the two, I actually expect Emerton to perform better than Kewell. In reality, Brett could have stayed at Blackburn and still made regular appearances. Meanwhile, Harry is sadly on the decline and after seeing him at Liverpool for all those years I unsurprisingly have very little faith in his ability to remain injury free. I hope the lighter schedule helps him though and we get to see him produce somne of those magic Kewell moments.

Basically, the hype of Robbie Fowlers trip to the A League has left me a bit more cautious with my expectations. It will be nice to see Harry live but it may be more of a novelty than anything else. Hope he proves me wrong though and produces a Johnny Warren medal winning season.
Tobes (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Totally agree Jesta. Emerton definitely has many more miles in his legs than Kewell and should be one of the best players this season (and next) for SydFC. Watching that Thailand game last Friday I thought Emerton was still looking quite spritely.
Kewell will draw the crowds for sure and I think he may have a bigger impact on the pitch than Fowler in his old age, but he won't quite reach his "Biggest Sports Signing in Australian History" tag when it comes to performances.
I saw Fowler play against the Roar when he was kickin around for the Fury and although he didn't put on much of a show there was a fair portion of the crowd their to see him.
I'm excited that they're in the A-league because they are (were) the kind of players we want to produce from our national system and if they can teach some of the young players from their club to reach that higher level and possibly set the trend for others (Cahill, Neill?) to finish off their career here and give back that experience, it will help the A-league out immensely.

P. S. I might need to start a campaign to get Bresciano in the Roar squad for next season if we want to compete with SydFC and Victory old boys
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Kewell financially will be successful for Victory and will reel in cash and fans. IMO Emerton is a beast and will lead Sydney back into play-offs
Tobes (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Here's the first non Photoshopped image of Harry in his new Kit. Link: s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/392371277.jpg...
Looks a little strange but kinda suits him?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football