Forums / Aston Villa
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Fight For Survival Begins
Villablogger (Aston Villa) 3 years ago
Aston Villa football club have had a tough season so far with us now finding ourselves in the bottom three, with just fewer than half the season to go. Many fans have decided to turn against GH accusing him of breaking up the harmony of the players and playing different players out of position. However I believe in order to break out of the relegation zone and ensure safety for another season, it is not just GH or the players who have to change their ways - it’s down to the whole club including us, the fans.
For the last 3 seasons we have witnessed a group of young player’s finish 6th, and putting up a good fight for 4th place. However this season the Premier League is a whole different ball game with the likes of Chelski now looking as though they will struggle to finish in the top 4. In order for our players to get anywhere near the same level we have been I feel the club – as a whole – have to realize that this season isn’t like the last three and we HAVE to focus on getting any points on the board and get back to being happy with a draw away to Bolton. It’s like us having to take a step back through time to the Gregory and O’Leary days where we were always just happy to be in the top flight.
However although this reads as negativity I view it otherwise as in order to be proud of a 15th place finish at the end of the season we have to be proud of what we have overcame this season. The obvious being the departure of MON just days before the start of the season, the indecision of the board to sign up a new manager immediately and the loss of James Milner. But there have also been great moments this season with the arrival of youngsters breaking through into the first team signified by Albrightons’ goal at Fulham, for which Barry Bannan played an exquisite ball forward for Mark to finish off. Not to mention the new style of possession football that GH is trying to bring, as seen against United – gone are the days where we rely on the quick counter attack.
As a Villa fan I have been proud of the way in which we actually use our youth system, and as we saw with the Reserves beating Arsenal reserves 10-1 we no longer have to rely solely on dodgy transfer targets. The futures bright!
UP THE villa

Kick4Life - changing lives through football