Forums / Arsenal
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Holds The Wallet At Arsenal?
LeeChungYong (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Well fellow gunners, the dreaded summer is here again. This summer, there is a huge chance that we will lose our captain.... Again.... But before you point the finger at Wenger for being way too conservative with the money, you must ask who is or are actually in charge of the money. At city, Sheikh Mansour let Mancini spend however much he wanted and the same goes for many clubs owned by sugardaddys. Mr. Kroenke holds the majority of the share at Arsenal, so is he the one who controls the budget? If so, does Kroenke give Wenger the freedom to spend the money to sign new players as well as raise the salaries? I know there are many of you that think this is so, but can you show me a reliable evidence? Until then I will withhold my judgment
Tecko (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I agree. As much as I would like to beleive that AW is forced by circumstances to curb his spending, concrete evidence is needed like stats to prove his case. Has anyone considered that AW's miserly and economical nature could have played a part too?

Can someone shed some light on this? That way, whenever I see any netizen asking for AW's head because of his reluctance to spend, I can proudly present them with the hard cold facts
Deffyduck (Arsenal) 2 years ago
There is no "concrete evidence" to support an argument either way. From what I have read (I've done a little bit of reading into this as it interests me greatly), there are basically 2 main camps:

Wenger to blame
Board to blame

A lot of people believe that Arsene Wenger is 100% in charge of the transfers and wages and that our conservative spending is purely down to him because he wants a big fat bonus for qualifying for the UCL each year. I don't believe that at all.

The other argument is that the board of directors are using the sales of players to reduce the club debt faster than the projected dates. They are relying on Wenger to keep the club competeing near the top and by qualifying for the UCL they can reduce the debt at a faster rate.

I think this is a more likely scenario and that is why I get annoyed by people who blame AW for the way the club is being run. I think the board has the final say on sales/transfers. I will have to search for an interesting article I read (it was posted here months and months ago) which is supposedly from an inside source at AFC and described how we have the financial ability to buy the "superstarsW but the board will not break the wage limit structure to pay them higher wages to compete with teams like Chelsea, Utd, City etc.

As I'm writing this I've just found the article I read a few months ago:

Link: www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s378/st170548.htm...

Read it and share your thoughts....

LeeChungYong (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Thanks for the article Deffyduck. I am not familiar with the website, but it seems reliable. But what the author writes is pretty much how I imagined the situation to be. Because Wenger is a professional, he probably won't say anything until he is no longer part of Arsenal which I believe is June of 2014. Like the article says, what good is it to be willing to pay the transfer fee but not the wages? I guess it basically comes down to spending few pounds more for quality players versus spending less to decrease the club debt quicker. If this trend continues, we are likely to lose RVP even though he was just offered 130k a week (up from 70k this year). Think about it, Nasri is being paid 173k a week for sitting on the bench half of the time.... I actually applaude Arsenal for trying to decrease their debt, but if they keep losing good players, we are not going to earn money from qualifying for the champions league, and the tickets aren't going to sell as much. Why not spend a few more on the wages while paying off the debt a bit slowly?

Source: Link: www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2144463...
Tecko (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Thanks to Deffyduck for that interesting read. I think the debt incurred by building the Emirates Stadium is really hurting Arsenal as other considerations like repaying the debts also have to be factored in while trying to attract top players. This, coupled with our rival's increasing willingness to spend, has really put us at a massive disadvantage. How I wish Fifa Fair Play would kick in right now.

That said, I will reserve my opinion as to whether AW should be blamed for our barren run and parsimony of the club. Hopefully, the inner workings of the club will come into light one day, possibly after AW retires or relinquish his post as manager. For now, we have to put our trust in AW to make the right transfer moves and keep the club afloat
Deffyduck (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I have these sort of discussions with my mates and the one thing I always say is this:

Put AW in charge of any club with huge financial backing and he would rake in the trophies. Can you think of a single manager who could achieve the level of success that AW has had without spending £100m+? If he leaves the only manager I think could do a half decent job in his place would be David Moyes.

The stadium debt doesn't exactly help the situation but in my opinion the emergence of bankrolled clubs has been the most important factor in the development of the modern game. As you say Tecko, I wish FFP was introduced sooner
Redhertz (Arsenal) 2 years ago
You have to spend money to make money.

Like you guys have said:

The market has been inflated by billionaire owners who are willing to spend their own money on players in an effort to be successful. We probably have the only two billionaires in the EPL who don't do this.

As for the money that we make 'genuinely' I believe that the board are trying to hoard it so we can post pretty graphs about how much profit we make. I do want us to make profits but if we have transfer money lying around then we should use it to bolster the squad.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football