Forums / Arsenal
Order: Newest / Oldest
RVP To Man Utd And Modric To Madrid!
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
I know it was a story knocking around in the press for a while about RVP's (Robin Van Persie or Robbing Mans Pursie as he will now be known) but I never for one moment thought that Arsenal would sell to a rival club in this country. Arsenal have been very active in the transfer market already but with the hefty £26mil fee burning a hole in their pockets they are sure to be doing some more deals now.

Curiously I don't think that finding a replacement for RVP will be top of their list. In Oliver Giroud and Podolski they have players with an average of one goal every two games which should more than fill the hole. So it will be interesting to see who they target.

Less of a shock is the news that Luca Modric (Loco Money?!?) is moving to Real Madrid for a massive £30mil. Unlike Arsenal, Spurs have not been very active this summer and seem to desperately need a striker and now a replacement playmaker.

We can only hope that with this injection of cash into two top teams that we will now see a veritable cavalcade of transfer being done
LeeChungYong (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I also cannot believe that Arsenal sold RVP to our fierce rival.... But I suppose getting 20+mil for a 29 year old who is injury prone kind of (but not really) makes up for it. I actually think that Chamakh if given more playing time, will do well as the third striker in rotation. We will need him quite often because Podolski to me is more of a shadow striker and not a CF up front so we need Cham to rotate with Giroud. I think getting Sahin on loan from Real Madrid will further strengthen our midfield especially with the addition of Cazorla and return of Diaby. The most vulnerable part of Arsenal as usual is the defence. Our CB is actually quite good with Kos and Ver and perhaps Mert is rotation. I really like Gibbs as LB and Santos as a backup. The RB seems to be the weakest with Sagna injured, however, Yennaris impressed me over the preseason matches and hopefully will do well in the upcoming season
Acphenom (Borussia Dortmund) 2 years ago
I think the RVP loss has been purely an emotional one for Arsenal fans; because logically, Arsenal have had a fantastic summer window. Everyone expects their signings to deliver, and with more likely on the way, I'm anxious to see Arsenal start breathing down us and City's necks once the league gets under way.

Spurs, to me, are the ones who should really be feeling the pain. Modric is truly irreplaceable; when Scholes retired he was the only name who came to mind as a successor. And the striker thing is truly scary. Adebayor racked-up an insane number of assists and goals last season, it just wasn't Spurs without him
Manutdwarrior (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Robin wanted to win trophies, and you will not win any at Arsenal. Even with the squad boost they have now they still won't win anything.... Ya Arsenal fans now are angry but you would've done the same thing if you were in his shoes. Also.... Why are they burning his shirt? I though they were better than that. Modric well.... Money!
LeeChungYong (Arsenal) 2 years ago
How sure are you that if he had stayed, Arsenal still would not have won a trophy this year? Cazorla is a very underrated player and with Wilshere's comeback Arsenal could arguably have one of the best midfield in EPL. Yes Man UTD has Welbeck and chich up front as well as Kagawa and Cleverly in middle, but Arsenal has Podolski and Giroud up front with Cazorla, Arteta, Rosicky, Wishire, perhaps Song in the middle. Sure, I am not denying that he will have a better chance of winning something at Man you, but if he had stayed, he could have won something with the club that stuck with him and nurtured him even when he was sidelined due to injuries. To me, he just took the easy way out...
Lifeguard 2 years ago
I hope Wenger pulls a rabbit out of his Arse-nal and puts both CIty and Utd to shame this year - after all, his whole core team basically has up and left him over the past few seasons, ie Fabregas, Nasri, and now RVP.

Kudos to Wenger for some great summer signings - looking forward to the EPL this season, and I expect a top3 finish from the Gunners
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Maybe he did take the easy way out, but I don't think we can be sure of that until Arsenal win something.

You can't blame United for Van Persie wanting to leave though, all we did was pick him up. Some arsenal fans seem to be cursing us for some reason
Peteko 2 years ago
I am not convinced about this signing.

I am a great admirer of SAF, but I have this strange doubt that he was played a bit by Mancini here.
I think Mancini may have have loved the idea of RVP but that ended the minute he understood that Tevez was back in line. I think that in the recent weeks Mancini has kept the talks going just to push Fergie into buying RVP and for a larger amount.

Maybe I am giving Mancini too much credit here, but it is what I think. RVP is a great talent, but 25M?! No way
Calskii (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I support Man UTD as you can see above. Modric no longer felt at home spurs. Well.... And for 24million van persie coming to united is a footy dream come true!
AnthonysOpinion (Atlético Madrid) 2 years ago
10 minutes against Barcelona and Modric looked dan-ger-ous. If he gets significant time with Özil, Real Madrid's MF will rival Barça's for creativity. Great signing. Mourinho needs to make it work, though
Darius (Southampton) 2 years ago
Fergie's looking like a genius with RVP's hat trick today. Unfortunately, against So'ton. Matt and I are devastated.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football